• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
LukeSmith said:
Neg. He's not involved with the title related to today's activities.
Back to the speculative drawing board, I suppose.
Now he has to change his name to just Domino, because you killed his Theory *sadface*

Timan

Developer
That mother f*cking LE case has cracked another copy of halo of mine. Now I know GS isn't gonna replace it. Is microsoft still doing that disc exchange program for LE editions of H3?

Just noticed there is a tiny crack (1-2mm) around the inner ring of the disk. (part that snaps into the case). I keep my games in mint conditions so this is just crazy this case does it.

Sean

Banned
Super Johnson said:
Did you exit out of the lobby really fast? It took a good 20-25 seconds in the lobby before it unlocked for our group last night.

Nah, we were in the post-game stats screen for like 30 seconds wondering why it wasn't unlocking. Skipped the cutscenes and then waited in the lobby for at least another 30 seconds.. never unlocked.

Dirtbag

Timan said:
That mother f*cking LE case has cracked another copy of halo of mine. Now I know GS isn't gonna replace it. Is microsoft still doing that disc exchange program for LE editions of H3?

Just noticed there is a tiny (1-2mm) around the inner ring of the disk. (part that snaps into the case). I keep my games in mint conditions so this is just crazy this case does it.

I'm seriously never buying another special edition of any game again. As long as I'm not missing any actual game content, I'm done with them.
Very happy I never got the cat helmet edition of h3.

I'm not really a collector of anything, I'm more utilitarian.
Maybe that's got something to do with it.
Channeling my inner-designer I suppose.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dirtbag 504 said:
I'm seriously never buying another special edition of any game again. As long as I'm not missing any actual game content, I'm done with them.
Very happy I never got the cat helmet edition of h3.

I'm not really a collector of anything, I'm more utilitarian.
Maybe that's got something to do with it.
Channeling my inner-designer I suppose.

I agree...MGS4 collectors was the last one I'm buying...you hear that publishers, fuck your special editions!!!!

Timan

Developer
Timan said:

Just noticed there is a tiny crack (1-2mm) around the inner ring of the disk. (part that snaps into the case). I keep my games in mint conditions so this is just crazy this case does it.

Not my video, but this is exactly what happened to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsOFZpn7IHY

I haven't been playing much of this for a while, but I just got Mongoose Mowdown! So I'm pretty happy, although I'm playing extremely crappy. :(

I'd love to try and get the Annual one sometime, though no one on my friends list even plays this anymore :(.

Holy crap, I got to go to bed.

MIMIC

Banned
How is it that someone can die RIGHT before they've deployed the bubble shield? Once you've hit X, aren't you supposed to be protected?

Striker

MIMIC said:
How is it that someone can die RIGHT before they've deployed the bubble shield? Once you've hit X, aren't you supposed to be protected?
It usually takes a second to deploy. Sucks, though. :\

MIMIC

Banned
Striker said:
It usually takes a second to deploy. Sucks, though. :\

I have a video where as soon as I hit X, a grenade bounced off of the "top" of the bubble shield before it was even fully deployed. It is my understanding that as soon as you hit X, the bubble shield is already 100% deployed...it's just that the on-screen animation doesn't show it until you see it grow to 100%.

Grenades can't pass through but bullets can? No major issue....it's just annoying.

Domino Theory said:
I have complete faith in the man either way. :D

That is, of course, if he sticks to the single player portion of whatever he's working on :p
Allen worked at Red Storm and I think, though not certain, that they only worked on GRAW's multiplayer. I know he's played other parts, but for that game specifically, I think he only worked on the "game within a game" since GRAWs campaign system was considerably different than its multiplayer. Needless to say, he said he'd be working on something different than Ghost Recon's formula in his blog:
To that end, I’ve accepted a Design Lead position at Bungie, where I’ll be working on something a bit different than Ghost Recon.
I don't normally post stuff like this on GAF or anywhere out in the open, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it:

Fittingly and for a variety of reasons, this is our first coop article. It took a good amount of time and sweat to put this thing together, so I hope it works for some of you guys looking to skip the 985,568,185 posts about the matter and just dig in.

EazyB

Banned
53956656-Full.jpg

Brainboy

Mr Vociferous said:
Fittingly and for a variety of reasons, this is our first coop article. It took a good amount of time and sweat to put this thing together, so I hope it works for some of you guys looking to skip the 985,568,185 posts about the matter and just dig in.

Very very good article. Extremely good collection of everything discussed and speculated so far. I especially liked the discussion of the time anomalies at the end.

Trasher

I said it in the other thread, but I want to say it here as well. The AJ article by Voc and Cocop is awesome. I hope you all check it out.

Just finished reading it. Nicely put together. Brought up a couple of things I hadn't noticed by my self and tied up all the things we know (or think we know) really well. Bring on the weekley update :D

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BladedExpert said:
Just finished reading it. Nicely put together. Brought up a couple of things I hadn't noticed by my self and tied up all the things we know (or think we know) really well. Bring on the weekley update :D

Indeed, nice work Covoc.

And speaking of the Weekly Update, even if it's light, we might get that E3 podcast that was archived tomorrow. :D

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Indeed, nice work Covoc.

And speaking of the Weekly Update, even if it's light, we might get that E3 podcast that was archived tomorrow. :D
I thought Luke said that that podcast was scrapped for good. Or maybe I'm thinking about the one he said they'd have for the anniversary. Yeah, I think I have them confused. Anyways, I wouldn't expect much in the way of reveals in tomorrow's BWU because they already released a lot this week (according to Bungie standards) and nothing too huge is ever revealed in the BWUs. That said, I wouldn't mind being surprised. :D

If I had to bet I'd say more stuff on the AU2 which will cause bitter tears, tears which Luke will collect and merrily bath in while eating pizza and playing Xbox Live.

EazyB said:
I thought Luke said that that podcast was scrapped for good. Or maybe I'm thinking about the one he said they'd have for the anniversary. Yeah, I think I have them confused. Anyways, I wouldn't expect much in the way of reveals in tomorrow's BWU because they already released a lot this week (according to Bungie standards) and nothing too huge is ever revealed in the BWUs. That said, I wouldn't mind being surprised. :D

If I had to bet I'd say more stuff on the AU2 which will cause bitter tears, tears which Luke will collect and merrily bath in while eating pizza and playing Xbox Live.

Thats a mental image I could have done without. Especially as I'm only on my first coffee of the morning :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:

Yeah, you're confusing them. I'm listening to the pre-PAX podcast and around the 4:50 mark, Luke says it'll be resurfaced in 'complete, un-edited glory' when the time is right.

Better tell Kow tuh Koo asap.

Walshicus

Mr Vociferous said:
I don't normally post stuff like this on GAF or anywhere out in the open, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it:

Cool article. Though isn't Bungie's native date format mm/dd/yy, and Kenya's dd/mm/yy?

Darkpen

Banned
So... I'm confused (and sorry if I offend anyone with my lack of following anything related to halo 3 outside of snippets of this and that every now and then), but what the heck is going on? What's with that trailer? What's with the way they're rendering it? Why does it look like a mash between TF2 and some realistic shooter?

What the hell is going on??

Vespa said:
That was an awesome top 10!

Number 2, How can he slap/float? lol at Number 5! Good to see Mario playing Halo.

I have no idea how he floated like that. Some kind of physics bug for sure, but I've never seen that before :lol. I lol'd IRL at the "Mario" moment too. Needs more sound effects :D

Skilotonn said:
Very cool - and like I've said many times already, this is why I absolutely love Saved Films...

Agreed. Bungie has definately hit a home run with that feature. Something that I seeing becoming a staple in all their future games just like the Lobby Feature of Halo 2.

LunaticPuma said:
I was wondering this too. I doubt DLC BTB has oddball. Would DLC FFA have it?

I would imagine it does. At what % I am unsure.

Mr Vociferous said:
That's definitely what we were trying to say and it has been fixed. Cocop, you're fired. ;-)

I really liked the analysis of the time/clocks.

GM Bullfrog said:
I really liked the ANALysis of the time/clocks.
We've been known to be this from time to time when it comes to details. We're glad you guys liked it.

Now let's play Q&A for realz:
  1. Who is this Maddie character? What does she know that makes her important or is she a character which is only meant to provide an emotional anchor for the player a la Dominic Santiago's "Maria" in the Gears of War story?
  2. Are the ODSTs there for to locate Regret's artifact - the Forerunner gateway - or is it something else? Could they eventually be part of the team which sights the Chief as he falls from the dreadnought, as in the "Halo: Landfall" shorts?
  3. Who is inside the lone HEV? The ONI spook named DARE? The ODST team leader? Or was it just an artistic nod to the concept of the HEV drop within the context of the game?
  4. What's with this time anomaly? Is time actually speeding up or is the Superintendent's corruption causing it?
  5. Gamespot compared this game to GRAW and Gears, so will it be third-person despite presumably using the Halo 3 engine? Halo 3 has excellent third-person animations, but is there enough there to have it work fluidly as an expansion on Halo 3? Will there be a cover system in lieu of a shield? Will there be mantling instead of jumping, like most third-person games? Will it have a commander system?
  6. How many players will this support cooperatively? How many players would be realistically be fun? 4? 8? 16? Could a game support four fire teams of four?
  7. Will the space tether's fall, if it does actually happen during the game, be the most bad ass cinematic in the history of the galaxy or even universe?
  8. Will the M6D come back, per Ryan's joke/comment during the podcast earlier?
  9. Will this release as an Xbox Live download or a retail disc? Will the new maps be released alone as downloadable content this Fall, followed in January by a retail disc with all of the maps and the campaign for this new game?
:-o

Mr Vociferous said:
We've been known to be this from time to time when it comes to details. We're glad you guys liked it.

1. Who is this Maddie character? What does she know that makes her important or is she a character which is only meant to provide an emotional anchor for the player a la Dominic Santiago's "Maria" in the Gears of War story?
  2. Are the ODSTs there for to locate Regret's artifact - the Forerunner gateway - or is it something else? Could they eventually be part of the team which sights the Chief as he falls from the dreadnought, as in the "Halo: Landfall" shorts?
  3. Who is inside the lone HEV? The ONI spook named DARE? The ODST team leader? Or was it just an artistic nod to the concept of the HEV drop within the context of the game?
  4. What's with this time anomaly? Is time actually speeding up or is the Superintendent's corruption causing it?
  5. Gamespot compared this game to GRAW and Gears, so will it be third-person despite presumably using the Halo 3 engine? Halo 3 has excellent third-person animations, but is there enough there to have it work fluidly as an expansion on Halo 3? Will there be a cover system in lieu of a shield? Will there be mantling instead of jumping, like most third-person games? Will it have a commander system?
  6. How many players will this support cooperatively? How many players would be realistically be fun? 4? 8? 16? Could a game support four fire teams of four?
  7. Will the space tether's fall, if it does actually happen during the game, be the most bad ass cinematic in the history of the galaxy or even universe?
  9. Will this release as an Xbox Live download or a retail disc? Will the new maps be released alone as downloadable content this Fall, followed in January by a retail disc with all of the maps and the campaign for this new game?

And now I've gone cross eyed :/

But seriously, the teaser has raised more questions that it answered (which is par for the course for Bungie) but at least it gives us something to thik about :D

Falagard

Mr Vociferous said:

Keep in mind that the GRAW designer isn't working on this particular project, as per Luke's comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom