• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EazyB

Banned
Ramirez said:
I'm stunned that one sided VIP is still in any of the playlists, who at Bungie believes that it's fun?
I'm almost 100% positive no one at Bungie has every played 1-sided VIP. It's the epitome of a broken gametype. Setting aside the fact that there is no fun to be had while playing it, it almost always ends in a tie. The VIP spawns with no OS, only a pistol, and an indicator above their head and has to run around Narrows for 3 minutes trying not to be killed.

Like you said, VIP itself is just plain unfun but one-sided VIP is blatantly terrible.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Social Skirmish being solely:

Team Oddball
Team KoTH
Multi-Flag
One Flag
One Bomb
Neutral Assault
Territories

would make the playlist so much better.

Ha! Did ye see this over at MTV Multiplayer?

Bungie Writer Luke Smith’s Anti-Soulja-Boy Playing “Halo 3″ Tips

"In a one-on -one scenario with Soulja Boy, you’re dealing with a guy who barely pushes a 1.0 kp/d (kills per death) at level 14. Contrary to his self-professed cranking, Soulja Boy ain’t no Robocop."

MIMIC

Banned
Shishka said:
The reason most people don't play ranked MLG isn't because it's ranked, or because they're intimidated by it. It's because the average person isn't interested in the experience MLG gametypes offers.

The only reason I ever played MLG was because it was like Team BRs without the radar. I'm not a fan of the objective-based games and once CTF appeared one too many times, I stopped.

Kibbles

Kibbles said:
Oh and since it gets dark out early, earlier weekly update plz, kthx.

kthx, it's up. http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=16449 :D

Q. X0N3xSH0TxL3FTx asks: Can we get some sweet pictures of any of the new maps?

A. Yup. In the December issue of Game Informer.
You call pictures of Assembly we seen before and 2 non-revealing screens of Orbital sweet pictures of the new maps? Pfff. I want them all, on my face. :p

Doesn't look like we will be getting anything special from Bungie for the holidays either, due to the question Luke dodged. *sadface*

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Q. A Deaf Boy asks: How does the delay of Halo Wars impact the Mythic Map pack release date?

A. To our chagrin, it delays their appearance in the wild as well. The Mythic Map Pack is tethered to the Halo Wars LE retail launch

Wait, does this mean that now Halo Wars is the ONLY way to get the Mythic Maps and no release on XBLMP afterwards?

Kibbles

Domino Theory said:
Wait, does this mean that now Halo Wars is the ONLY way to get the Mythic Maps and no release on XBLMP afterwards?

O_O The apocalypse is near!

Please no, please no, please no...

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to a trip back to the mitten state. The studio is closed down for a couple of weeks and then we’ll be back in the New Year to keep making games. Is that what you meant?
Youch, harsh Luke :p

Domino: I presume it's the original plan of up on XLMP a certain amount of time after Halo Wars LE is available for purchase.

Booties

Banned
Shishka said:
If I start adding MLG playlists, know that it's some evil attempt to destroy MLG presence on Matchmaking.

MLG fans believe they should have their own hoppers for every imaginable matchmaking format. Social MLG. MLG doubles. MLG FFA. The average MLG fan's perception of both their own representation of the community and the perception of their clique from the outside is skewed toward this "I am an intimidating person and I play intimidating games," which, and pardon the light ego burn, is nonsense.

A social MLG playlist would not bring more players into the MLG fold. Not in the way MLG fans believe it would, anyway. Instead, it would just divide the existing MLG base in Matchmaking between two/four/eight/sixteen playlists. The reason most people don't play ranked MLG isn't because it's ranked, or because they're intimidated by it. It's because the average person isn't interested in the experience MLG gametypes offers.

If I sound like I'm taking a defensive approach, it's because when people start talking about what the MLG experience "should be" on Matchmaking, it's because they generally have the same misconceptions; they believe MLG represents the majority of Halo fans, that everyone wants to play MLG gametypes, and that the reason I don't give MLG free reign over Matchmaking is because I actively dislike MLG as a community and am simply trying to keep them down. Or something. The reality is that yes, I do recognize the difference between MLG the group, actual sponsored players, and the internet. I don't dice the MLG experience up in an attempt to preserve it because, contrary to common belief, hopper population does appear from thin air, and simply making a duplicate of the existing playlist in the social arena isn't going to attract that many more people, it's just going to divide the people that are already invested.

I disagree. I think a social MLG would bring more players towards it because the objectives are better and mixed well with slayer. The only difference is that the maps are smaller which I can see people not enjoying if it's not their thing. When I play with 4-5 people I don't want to play skirmish where I can't get to play two of the best gametypes outside of slayer (oddball and hill) but I have to. Keep it simple, Shiska. People love halo for flag, hill and slayer. Oddball is also surprisingly fun and you can take it seriously and strategize or just goof around and not take it MLG seriously. And when I say those are the best game types I'm not just speaking for the MLG kids, it's universal, it's why Halo is so mega popular for its multiplayer and I'm sure you know that even if you refuse to show it in the play list editing you do. If you disagree with that then you are just in denial, or crazy, just keep it simple man. That's what a social MLG list would do, it would be a back to basics classic halo experience with a slight twist. Or maybe just a revamped skirmish would do in case you don't want to say bye-bye to radar, fusion cores, and spikers.

On another note, flag is awesome and well represented in Skirmish, but the return rate kind of sucks for the amount of players and size of the maps.

[/seriouspost]

EazyB said:
I'm almost 100% positive no one at Bungie has every played 1-sided VIP. It's the epitome of a broken gametype. Setting aside the fact that there is no fun to be had while playing it, it almost always ends in a tie. The VIP spawns with no OS, only a pistol, and an indicator above their head and has to run around Narrows for 3 minutes trying not to be killed.

Like you said, VIP itself is just plain unfun but one-sided VIP is blatantly terrible.

How dare you, Bungie spends hundreds of hours play testing everything. It's extremely obvious.

Domino Theory said:

No it fucking means Halo Wars LE buyers get exclusive length of period where only they are the ones who are able to play on them.

Fuck.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Domino Theory said:

Nope, that's not what it means. The deal has not been altered.

Kibbles

Yeah, we knew that already juices. Still fucking sucks. There is no way I'm buying Halo Wars. I'm not supporting that kind of business they are trying to pull off.

Oh btw, thanks Bungie for putting up that ODST wallpaper, so hot. I wish you could change the 360 dashboard's big white/gray thing to black though so it would match, oh well, it's still hot.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Booties said:
How dare you, Bungie spends hundreds of hours play testing everything. It's extremely obvious.

I'm sure Shishka would respond, but he's literally in playtest right now.

EazyB

Banned
BWU said:
Halo 3: ODST

* The door to Marty’s office has been shut. The “RECORDING” light has been on. Blindfolded outsiders have been shuffled into his recording studio.
* Marty and the audio team have also been doing off-site recording in LA and earlier this week even helped all of Bungie get our SAG cards by recording us as crowd sounds for possible use in ODST. Thanks Marty!
* All of the ODST mission dialog is written and implemented – thought the current implementation is often the dulcet tones of Joseph Staten coming through my headset.
* Damian is working on patrol cycles (think seek and destroy, not vroom vroom) for enemies in the Hub and adding some new behaviors for a foe.
* Barry is sitting at a teeny, tiny desk and adding decorators, details and signage to the Hub. He’s bringing things to life.
* Adrian Perez hooked up some stuff for some things that will add pretty visceral feedback elements to players.
* Halo 3: ODST is just a day away from the Representative Experience milestone and preparing for a team-wide playthrough of the whole game next week.
HAWT

Maybe it's because I haven't read the GI article but it's just dawned on my that ODST is going to be something else with this HUB world. I'm dying to check it out.

It sounds like they're making some great progress too. I'm not sure how long before a release most games hit the "representative experience milestone" but it seems to me that they'll have plenty of time to polish the game and make it something really amazing.

Kibbles said:
Yeah, we knew that already juices. Still fucking sucks. There is no way I'm buying Halo Wars. I'm not supporting that kind of business they are trying to pull off.

You already support exclusivity as a business strategy. You play Halo 3.

And Domino didn't seem to know since he asked...

Kibbles

xxjuicesxx said:
You already support exclusivity as a business strategy. You play Halo 3.

And Domino didn't seem to know since he asked...
Yeah, I read your message the wrong way. I thought you just found that out. I'm not supporting the fact of putting game content from one game onto another, totally different game's collector's edition ($80 too, lol)... exclusively. Ugh :S

t4ng0

Social MLG is just an opportunity for people who actually play MLG regularly to beat up on kids that aren't as good, a chance they already have with the present social playlists(without BR starts). Grow up, and play your competitive matches in the ranked MLG playlist. I honestly can't see any other reason for you to argue for a social mlg hopper.

Now, arguing for social skirmish to actually contain better gametypes is a argument i can agree with.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
urk said:
Nope, that's not what it means. The deal has not been altered.

Many thanks. The wording of the answer made me think the "put maps exclusively on Halo Wars for a while then release on XBL" deal was put away.

BTW, Halo 3: ODST Premium Theme.

DOIT.

Merguson

Banned
You know, there's this one issue that's been really burning me up with Halo 3 and this issue applies to any other video game. It may not be of any issue to most gamers, but it's still an issue for me. I wish Bungie would put more of an effort to include subtitles for any dialogue within their games. Halo 1 had no subtitles... while I enjoyed it, It was very confusing for me to go through the game and not have a clue what the hell was going on. I really generated an interest in the story only because I was reading the dialogue in Halo 1 (like a script) on Louis Wu's website, halo.bungie.org.

I was really hoping that by the end of Halo 3, there would be subtitles for every dialogue. That really disappointed me when they didn't. It really frustrates me that game developers cannot even attempt to support deaf gamers. Look at Valve, they are one of the very few developers who actually have amazing support for deaf gamers. They have options for subtitling dialogue... and an option for that as well... including sounds! I really applause Valve for putting some effort into this. I don't expect every developer to really put out some effort, but I think subtitles for every word spoken would be satisfiable for me personally. I'm not saying that Bungie is a bad developer, as there are worst dev teams, like Assassins Creed... no subtitles at all... or take weird cases like Bad Company.. there are subtitles for in-game... but... none for cut-scenes?

Bottom line, I wish that Bungie would have considered stronger support for deaf gamers when developing Halo 3. I sincerely hope they would try to emit a better effort for Halo 3: ODST, which appears to be heavy on the storyline? So dialogue must be an important part of the story. I hope that any employee would be able to give me.. or any deaf gamer out there regarding how subtitles would work on their games, like Halo 3: ODST for example. It doesn't reveal anything about the game, but it would certainly assure deaf gamers regarding a purchase of the game.

This reminds me long time ago, when Gears of War was in development, I sent an email to EPIC, or CliffyB (his fan email) asking about the subtitles in the game. The studio... or CliffyB responded about the status of subtitles in the game. To this day, I still thank the studio for doing something. Most other studios wouldn't have responded at all.

Well I don't know if you would call that a rant, but eh.

Halo 3: ODST is content complete, and is supposedly releasing nine months from now?

I have this sinking feeling that ODST will be out sooner than Fall 2009. A lot sooner.

Merguson

Banned
snack said:
Halo 3: ODST is content complete, and is supposedly releasing nine months from now?

I have this sinking feeling that Recon will be out sooner than Fall 2009. A lot sooner.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo 3: Recon are the same thing.

Merguson said:
Halo 3: ODST and Halo 3: Recon are the same thing.
Woops, that was a typo I meant to put 'Recon' the second time. What I am saying is, if ODST is content complete now, what could they possibly be doing for the next nine months. I think they are going to release the game much sooner than we think, but Microsoft doesn't want to make that known, because it will cannibalize sales of other games they have coming down the pipe.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
So are you going to make it 4v4 only? Or does that make too much sense?

hahahahaha thanks, I needed that...no but seriously, MLG playlist should be 4v4 only.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
content complete doesn't mean anywhere near complete

it means the media part of it is done : models, textures, blah blah blah

but the coding might not be done yet

for example... on a much smaller scale...

the legendary map pack (a damn map pack ffs) was content complete on january 21st, 2008.... but the release date was april 15th

EazyB

Banned
snack said:
Woops, that was a typo I meant to put 'Recon' the second time. What I am saying is, if ODST is content complete now, what could they possibly be doing for the next nine months.
Well this is what they said they'll be working on:
BWU said:
Q: What changes from representative experience to game conclusion?
CC: We’re done with all the major code work, content is locked in, and the designs are finalized, so additional changes will primarily be refinements and iteration on the content and design, polishing and bug fixing.
Like I said, earlier, that seems like they've got a hell of a lot of time to do it in. I'm also surprised at how quickly they reached this milestone because they only started working on it sometime during the summer. It makes me a little questionable about how much content is in the package but hopefully it's priced accordingly.

My theory is, assuming 9 months is a really long time to just work on tweaks and bugs, is that MS just wants something Halo released for next holiday so however big and however long it takes
(that's what she said)
Recon was going to come out then anyways. This also means that they'll be working on their new IPs sooner rather than later :D

Merguson said:
Well I don't know if you would call that a rant, but eh.
Hmm, I'm surprised subtitles aren't in the game, never knew that. I thought all games had subtitles especially games with such broad appeal normally having subtitles in multiple languages. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to throw in there either.

DopeyFish said:

the legendary map pack (a damn map pack ffs) was content complete on january 21st, 2008.... but the release date was april 15th
Eh, that could be a couple of issues. For instance, we know the Mythic map pack has been (content) complete for months yet we won't even get half of them until March-ish.

t4ng0 said:
Social MLG is just an opportunity for people who actually play MLG regularly to beat up on kids that aren't as good, a chance they already have with the present social playlists(without BR starts). Grow up, and play your competitive matches in the ranked MLG playlist. I honestly can't see any other reason for you to argue for a social mlg hopper.

nice, lets stereotype a whole community. its not black and white. we like to play casually too. ive probably played three times as many non-mlg mm games than most of the people in this topic.

im dont really care about social mlg at all, but the difference isnt just br starts. what about 110% speed, 90% recharge? no radar, drop weapon spawns, custom? forged maps? tested settings? its alot different, and played casually id prefer it to sandtrap and isolation and epitaph. people wouldnt mind as much if the playlist settings werent as poor as they are now (down right terrible compared to halo 2).

if smurfing is a concern, match based on invisible rankings and increase its priority in searching.

EazyB

Banned
sixthsubset said:
nice, lets stereotype a whole community. its not black and white. we like to play casually too. ive probably played three times as many non-mlg mm games than most of the people in this topic.

if smurfing is a concern, match based on invisible rankings and increase its priority in searching.
Tango is absolutely correct. If some MLG die-hard wants to play casually then just jump into the ranked MLG playlist and play casually. It's no different than having an MLG playlist with invisible ranks. Eventually trueskill will make you up against harder people until you either play hardcore (as opposed to casualy) or lose a bunch of matches. Would then only matter to players who are obsessed with that little number beside their name in MLG.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I see so much talk about either Halo 3: ODST or their new IP which I'm assuming is really far off.

What gets me really hyped and curious is the 3rd project they haven't said ANYTHING about. :D

t4ng0

sixthsubset said:

im dont really care about social mlg at all, but the difference isnt just br starts. what about 110% speed, 90% recharge? no radar, drop weapon spawns, custom? forged maps? tested settings? its alot different, and played casually id prefer it to sandtrap and isolation and epitaph. people wouldnt mind as much if the playlist settings werent as poor as they are now (down right terrible compared to halo 2).

Disclaimer: I enjoy playing MLG far more than any other mode of Halo. The competitiveness and intensity of MLG can't be matched for me elsewhere.

You misread me completely, or I didn't articulate my argument adequately. My point was against his justification for a social MLG playlist and in no way was directed at the MLG community as a whole > even though it probably would be pretty accurate for most of them. You yourself just said you have no interest in a social list, which was exactly my point - the only reason people would play social MLG would be to own up on noobs easier than in previous social playlists. I'm guilty of playing social matches against poor players and relishing going 35+ kills and a pair of deaths, but I don't need another playlist so its even easier to do. People who play MLG regularly or are even just good at Halo like I'm assuming you and I are play MLG because of the competition, and if that is at the highest or lowest level, its still competitive.

All this rambling aside, I agree whole-heartedly that a lot of the gametypes for social matches(read: objective games) suck. I want so so much more Oddball, *remembering the epic matches on Midship from Halo 2.

GhaleonEB

DopeyFish said:
content complete doesn't mean anywhere near complete

it means the media part of it is done : models, textures, blah blah blah

but the coding might not be done yet

IIRC, Halo 3 went content complete in ~June. There's clearly a long ways to go here; Marty is still recording, decorators are being added, the dialogue is written but is still placeholder recordings, AI routines being written, encounters being tested and designed. Playtesting is just about to begin. As you said, plenty to do.

But from this update, it sure sounds like a September release rather than a November one.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Brain teaser: A Spartan is in a Team Slayer match. He has a Sniper Rifle with 3 bullets left. Two enemies approach him. He manages to kill both players with 3 sniper bullets. Neither of the kills were headshots. How did he get the kills?

Domino Theory said:
Brain teaser: A Spartan is in a Team Slayer match. He has a Sniper Rifle with 3 bullets left. Two enemies approach him. He manages to kill both players with 3 sniper bullets. Neither of the kills were headshots. How did he get the kills?

First shot hit the dude dropped his shields
Second shot hit the same dude killed him, went through him and hit the other dude
Third shot missed completely!
Second dude died because peer pressure.

AMICLOSE?

GhaleonEB said:
IIRC, Halo 3 went content complete in ~June. There's clearly a long ways to go here; Marty is still recording, decorators are being added, the dialogue is written but is still placeholder recordings, AI routines being written, encounters being tested and designed. Playtesting is just about to begin. As you said, plenty to do.

But from this update, it sure sounds like a September release rather than a November one.
The sooner the better.:D

t4ng0

Domino Theory said:
Oml3t was one of the enemies. The awful sniper's first and third shots hit your teammate and you in the bodies respectively, after which you pull out rockets and "accidentally" shoot your teammate in the back, killing you both and giving the sniper a double kill.

Nutter

t4ng0 said:
Oml3t was one of the enemies. The awful sniper's first and third shots hit your teammate and you in the bodies respectively, after which you pull out rockets and "accidentally" shoot your teammate in the back, killing you both and giving the sniper a double kill.
Sounds like a typical Halo game for Mr. Eggs.

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wish they were making this for Mac. :(
A quick googling suggests that Halo Custom Edition was never ported to Mac. Running custom maps in regular Halo PC requires a new map to have the name of an old map (which would be simple enough on a total conversion). No idea how successful that would be on a Mac version, but it would be worth trying if you own the game.

I also found a subforum of halomods you can look through, there appears to be some custom maps and mods for the Mac version in here: http://forums.halomods.com/index.php?f=13&sid=06fe73b36121f4b27169aafa08b001b2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom