• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

GhaleonEB said:
We all know that every month Bungie reviews playlists and makes changes. Many of them have come and gone over the past year+. A playlist being removed or merged is no surprise at all. It's a reasonable expectation that one or more of the playlists you get that EXP on would go away. So the sudden shock and awe here is rather strange, as is the random insult to other posters for unrelated posts.

:lol :lol I understand you have a special place in your heart for this thread. But you saying my insults were 'random' is saying you are choosing to read what you want to read by certain people who post int his forum regularly. So let's see...

Stormtrooper30 said:
Does a number really make that much of a difference to you? I mean good lord, experience doesn't even mean anything. You're a grown ass man afterall, arn't you?

specialkyle said:
doesn't have anything to do with offending the oligarchy. youre a massive fruit if youre seriously talking down to someone because of their junior internet message board member status.

don't compensate for your failures in real life with intangible e-status.

In addendum;

get raped bk

dax said:
You actually care about playlist experience?

Then when I respond with yes...

dax said:
I'm surprised that you actually care about such an arbitrary number, yes.

And when I respond with:

I'm surprised you took the time to write up a level by level summary from Halo 1-3 thinking more than 2 people would care. What's your point?

and I'm now an asshole...ok:lol

Somehow making it seem like I'm an idiot for choosing how I want to play a game I spent MY $60 on.

So really? I'm an asshole but you're other friends aren't right? Of course.

Wow.

While he may be crazy for playing it that way, he spent $60 bucks on it. He can play however he wants. Doesn't impact anyone else's experience.

When did it all go so wrong.

Jesus Christ...somebody gets it.

Self Induced said:
too much butthurt in this thread

I really do think a lot of this, as usual, is coming from a misunderstanding of other's demeanor and attitude. A lot of the earlier comments (including Storm's grown-ass-man comment) were made in a light-hearted manner and shouldn't be taken seriously. Everyone needs to just chill and smoke a J.

No, when people quote my tag they're trying to be smart assess. So hey I can be one too!

Smokey said:
Only person who hasn't been an initial asshole to me was Eazy.

I don't beleive that I myself replied in an annoying or blatently flaming fashion... I was just referring to your subtitle, like how you used mine to insult me.

Merguson

Banned
61305330-Medium.jpg

Discuss

GhaleonEB

Smokey said:
:lol :lol I understand you have a special place in your heart for this thread. But you saying my insults were 'random' is saying you are choosing to read what you want to read by certain people who post int his forum regularly. So let's see...
Oh stop projecting. I'm not attacking you or anyone else here. For reference, this is the exchange in question:

Smokey said:
Yes. Read what I said in my previous post. Does that shock you that people play Halo differently than you?
Dax01 said:
I'm surprised that you actually care about such an arbitrary number, yes.
Smokey said:
I'm surprised you took the time to write up a level by level summary from Halo 1-3 thinking more than 2 people would care. What's your point?
So yeah, that response was rather random.

I like the playlist EXP system. It's motivated me to play more BTB, and I get a thrill up my leg every time I get promoted. It's a good system and I understand why someone would care about it. But I also know the playlist I'm playing on was only recently created, and might go away in the future. When it does, I'll be bummed but that's life.

Smokey said:
Really? Have you read the responses attacking me for simply caring about my experience?
I wasn't attacking you, nor have I insulted you. With you, I have only asked if you care about your experience, why someone's status on NeoGAF correlates to how much they know, and telling you that I am surprised that you care. Nowhere have I said that you're an idiot (or anything along those lines) for caring about EXP.

And you hatin' on my summaries? Penguin knows what's up.

TDG

Banned
EazyB said:
While everyone here would like believe they don't care about being rewarded for playing a match and that fun should be the only factor, for most (dare I say all) this is not the case. We've seen games like CoD4 attain massive success because they reward players every step of the way and this is mainly why it's been such a big hit while CoD2 didn't do much.
You're misguided here. Many PC games have gained massive followings in the past without any sort of ranking system whatsoever. Call of Duty (the original, for PC) had a far larger player base than COD4 has every accumulated, and (if I recall correctly) did not constantly tell players how special they are, in fact, I don't think it had a ranking system at all.

People do not require a ranking system to enjoy their experience, they never have, and far more don't care about it than you think.
EazyB said:
Halo 3 doesn't go as far as CoD4 but it still throws a lot out there as ego boosts. Medals are given out for different things like sniper headshots and killing sprees, when those little icons pop up and feel a little something warm inside, shame on me. Bungie should rid of them. And why keep track of kills and shit in post-game reports, the game's about having fun, not getting a good K/D ratio or assisting the team. Bungie should get rid of it. Hide the ranks, toss the total idea of EXP out, and while we're at it get rid of scores.
I don't think anybody's suggesting that, but to go in the other direction with sarcasm:

Why not send players laminated certificated signed by Jason Jones everytime they successfully switch their weapons? How about sending them money (or coupons for penis enlargements) everytime they get a kill? How about parades in honor of the winning teams? Why should there be limits to how players are rewarded for their in-game accomplishments?
EazyB said:
The fact is people not only need these rewards to feel better about their performance in the game but they also encourage players to play as the game was designed. Exp works in that people want to gain exp and the way to gain exp is by winning (complete the designer's objective) and by not quitting. As much as I'd like to think invisible ranks would work alongside no exp is that people would quit at ridiculous rates. Continually join games and quit if it's not X on Y and all the while they'll be allowing themselves to face easier opponents because their trueskill is going down but it's invisible so they don't care.
People quit games back in Halo 2 before there was the threat of losing EXP, and they still do now.

And I think that when you look at things like K/D ratio, achievements for kills with certain weapons, and the ranking system, it's easy to find a lot of people who actually play the game INcorrectly due to these things. And a lot of people who are no longer playing the game for their own enjoyment, which is a whole other problem.
EazyB said:
It's nice to know we have so many pure gamers here who say they don't care to be rewarded. It must be nice knowing you're not a lowly exp whoring peasant.
I definitely feel like a better human being than the rest of you, that's for sure. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get some repairs done on my ivory tower. ;)

Smokey

Dax01 said:
I wasn't attacking you, nor have I insulted you. With you, I have only asked if you care about your experience, why someone's status on NeoGAF correlates to how much they know, and telling you that I am surprised that you care. Nowhere have I said that you're an idiot (or anything along those lines) for caring about EXP.

And you hatin' on my summaries? Penguin knows what's up.

then i apologize.

and i actually did care enough to read them btw..just needed some type of ammo.

Smokey said:
No, when people quote my tag they're trying to be smart assess. So hey I can be one too!
Like I said, I think you just took it the wrong way, that's all. I seriously doubt anyone here truly thinks less of you because you cherish your exp. It was your reaction to the other comments here that put everyone off. Personally, I'd get pretty bummed out if Bungie threw away 350 of my hard-earned exp too...

...sometimes I think there is a gas leak somewhere in this thread.

TDG

Banned
Self Induced said:
...sometimes I think there is a gas leak somewhere in this thread.
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE I DO NOT HAVE GAS!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD JUST KILL YOURSELF EVERYONE HATES YOU!!!!

TDG said:
Why not send players laminated certificated signed by Jason Jones everytime they successfully switch their weapons? How about sending them money (or coupons for penis enlargements) everytime they get a kill? How about parades in honor of the winning teams?
It got to the alpha testing stage before Bungie realized it wasn't really cost-efficient.

Striker

Anybody remember Headhunter, the designed Skirmish gametype that was talked up prior to Halo 3? I wonder why it got canned, if it truly did. Perhaps it just got tweaked and changed to VIP. :\

Striker said:
Anybody remember Headhunter, the designed Skirmish gametype that was talked up prior to Halo 3? I wonder why it got canned, if it truly did. Perhaps it just got tweaked and changed to VIP. :\

What was it again?

EazyB

Banned
TDG said:
You're misguided here. Many PC games have gained massive followings in the past without any sort of ranking system whatsoever. Call of Duty (the original, for PC) had a far larger player base than COD4 has every accumulated, and (if I recall correctly) did not constantly tell players how special they are, in fact, I don't think it had a ranking system at all.

People do not require a ranking system to enjoy their experience, they never have, and far more don't care about it than you think.
A few years ago I would have agreed with you, and on the PC things still remain very much that way. But it's clear that, at least on the console front, that players enjoy this reward system. There hasn't been a big PC shooter that's really experimented with this sort of thing really; Battle Field 2 is the only thing that comes to mind. But this is where I'll shift the focus of the argument. CoD4's reward system, and Halo 3's playlist exp to a much lesser degree, do more that just give a player a pat on the back when they do something good; they offer a sense of progression. Back to the PC, MMOs (WoW) seem to have really hit massive success. It's the best selling and most popular PC game. Much of the appeal of MMORPGs have been becoming a really high level with really hard to get stuff and showing how awesome you are to everyone else. One of the things WoW really nailed was keeping a reasonable carrot at the end of a stick for the user. Characters leveled up fast and kept getting cooler shit. They feel like they're achieving something in the long run each time they hop on a thus continue to do so.

This is obviously where all online games are heading. I wouldn't be surprised if all upcoming MP shooters have some for of leveling, exp, or persistent characters. This only adds to the experience IMO. The gameplay still has to be fun but people find enjoyment out of a sense of progress; that is part of the fun for many people. People play videogames to have fun and enjoy themeselves so it's only fitting that these videogames do whatever it can to make the user feel as good as possible.

TDG said:
I don't think anybody's suggesting that, but to go in the other direction with sarcasm:

Why not send players laminated certificated signed by Jason Jones everytime they successfully switch their weapons? How about sending them money (or coupons for penis enlargements) everytime they get a kill? How about parades in honor of the winning teams? Why should there be limits to how players are rewarded for their in-game accomplishments?
:lol
You bring up a good point in asking whether there should be a limit to how much and for what players should be rewarded. Regardless of what someone else thinks it worthy of reward, the user being rewarded must feel like they did something worth it. The must be a sense of accomplishment, however little, to go along with the reward; the reward itself should never (and hardly ever can) trigger this feeling. So would one feel accomplished because they found the button that lets them switch weapons? I'd hope not. For stopping the flag carrier or planting the bomb? Sure.

TDG said:
People quit games back in Halo 2 before there was the threat of losing EXP, and they still do now.

And I think that when you look at things like K/D ratio, achievements for kills with certain weapons, and the ranking system, it's easy to find a lot of people who actually play the game INcorrectly due to these things. And a lot of people who are no longer playing the game for their own enjoyment, which is a whole other problem.
I can't really follow why including a system that rewards players for playing as the game was designed would encourage people to do the opposite. Of course some players won't care for the rewards but I still don't see how the possibility for positive reinforcement would backfire.

TDG said:
I definitely feel like a better human being than the rest of you, that's for sure. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get some repairs done on my ivory tower. ;)
:lol
Thanks though for responding. I feel there isn't enough discussion in this thread. I enjoy shootin the shit as much as the next guy but when more people respond with angry replies about some guy's discontent about his exp than people taking the subject in a more interesting direction it's a bit sadface inducing.

I'd love to see Bungie do something groundbreaking with what I feel is just as important as core gameplay when it comes to player enjoyment and especially long-term enjoyment. There are so many directions to take it (looking at MMORPGs, games like Chromehounds, CoD4, etc.) and I can't wait to see where developers take in the next few years.

This never happened to me before on Valhalla heavies, but the other team was able to get (at least) three lasers and managed to hold top middle and the downed pelican. So, anytime my team got a vehicle, or tried to turn the match into our favor, we would get lasered.

Heavies should be all about vehicles. Just continually respawn them in very short intervals.

Edit: See, Covies kind of has the right idea. I think, in Heavies, if you replace all of the lasers with rockets, that would be perfect. Also, I think it would be fun if in Covies, you spawn with a carbine and a plasma rifle.

EazyB said:

I think COD4, Rainbow 6 Vegas, and Battlefield ranking system are so well received is in part due to the rewards as well. Both reward you with ways to sort of personalize your experience, while not throwing balance out the window. It may be annoying to listen to, but people will often go on about they love <whatever> gun because of it's 'feel' or because no one else uses it or how it looks etc. Most guns (of the same type) in these games are fairly interchangeable gameplay wise, and thus they give you an aesthetic(?) choice that typically lack in FPS's. Character customization is nice, but a personal weapon/camo that you choose will always be visible to yourself while you play.

I would have tied the unlockable armor to ranks personally for Halo, although I do appreciate them trying to give more meaning to achievements.

A Penguin

I love the XBL community.

Pregame lobby
My random teammate: "OK, guys, teamwork and communication is key. Make sure to teamshot, people."

Great! Teamwork is a wonderful thing, but what follows makes me sad face.
Once the game starts, his demeanor changes. Here are some of his efforts at effective communication:

"Hey, how does it feel to be a fag? I wouldn't know, because I'm not Penguino!"
"Elite Penguino, more like Elite Faggot...haha, (talking to his party buddy) did you hear that? I called him an Elite Faggot!"
His commentary was also filled with "you kids (referring to his me and the unfortunate other teammate) suck"

We lost, and, of course, I was the only one on my team who went positive.
His and his friend's retort with, "We weren't trying."

A Penguin said:

Pregame lobby
My random teammate: "OK, guys, teamwork and communication is key. Make sure to teamshot, people."

Once the game starts, his demeanor changes. Here are some of his efforts at effective communication:

"Elite Penguino, more like Elite Faggot...haha, (talking to his party buddy) did you hear that? I called him an Elite Faggot!"
His commentary was also filled with "you kids (referring to his me and the unfortunate other teammate) suck"

Sounds about right. :D

A Penguin said:

Pregame lobby

I feel your pain, my friend. I hate about 90% of the randoms I play with.

Yeah, I have my XBL voice settings to friends only. Sorry potential teammates who would like to communicate, there are too many annoying douches.

vhfive

A Penguin said:

Pregame lobby

mute much

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Domino Theory said:
Red Rings. :(

Doing towel trick, I hope it works. A day without Halo is... :(.

Just to be clear, the towel trick is temporary, I'd do it, and send it back to gamestop while it still works.....or Microsoft, of course, if you're under warranty.

Striker

A Penguin said:

Pregame lobby

I can picture this happening, :lol :lol

MIMIC

Banned
It's so annoying when people talk about other players just because of their EXP military rank. "OHH look at the Social General! He sucks. He'll never be a real General".

A real General? None of this is REAL. The addition of the EXP rank seems to just increase the obnoxiousness. This game is really an e-penis for some people.

Striker

MIMIC said:
It's so annoying when people talk about other players just because of their EXP military rank. "OHH look at the Social General! He sucks. He'll never be a real General".

A real General? None of this is REAL. The addition of the EXP rank seems to just increase the obnoxiousness. This game is really an e-penis for some people.
Lot of people with a big e-pp think they're uber because others have "retard bars".

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I hope ferrex comes back to HaloGAF someday.

It was fun in the days before Halo 3's launch when he'd tease multiplayer and calm people affected by the fake spoilers. :p It's a shame he left on bad terms. I'm sure everyone's forgotten about it by now.

Micro$oft claimed their second red light victim this morning (one light and E74 error, i.e. fucked!) I'm with Domino when he says no Halo 3 = Sadface.....:'(

I wonder if I can get someone to give me £200.....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MIMIC said:

Hey fuck off man! I'm a real General and I'll have you know that my e-penis is now 8 inches long!!!

jokes aside, I used to be kind of snobby. I used to just laugh at Brigadier grade 2's because of their lack of skill. But I actually don't look at ranks any more. It fucks with your game.

oh and note to Dax...those matches that we played where we lost to those PMS girls, I didn't care about not getting the EXP or anything like that. I just don't like losing matches. I kind of felt like you were throwing jabs at me that match. Maybe I'm wrong.

BladedExpert said:
I wonder if I can get someone to give me £200.....

Yea of course! That's like 5 US Dollars right?

Tashi0106 said:
jokes aside, I used to be kind of snobby. I used to just laugh at Brigadier grade 2's because of their lack of skill. But I actually don't look at ranks any more. It fucks with your game.

On a similar note, I'm still a Force Colonel and whenever I join matches people always say, "Oh great, we're playing with a Force Colonel. This kid sucks." And then I destroy them.

backflip10019 said:
On a similar note, I'm still a Force Colonel and whenever I join matches people always say, "Oh great, we're playing with a Force Colonel. This kid sucks."
*After Match*
"Hey, what do you know. We were right. This kid does suck.
Fixed from my experience.

Arnie

Shiska, if I choose DLC Big Team, I want to play my Legendary maps, not Team Splockets on Rats Nest (Vomits).

Just Sayin

However with the consolidation of this playlist into something less weighted towards the Legendary Maps i can only see this problem worsening. Damn whats the point of buying the new maps on release, why isn't there a straight up Legendary playlist like there was for Heroic?

GhaleonEB

A Penguin said:
That sucks. How long did this console last?
For kicks I went back to check.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7100252&postcount=4690

From July 18th 2007 until today. So about 17 months. The first one lasted about 15 months; I picked it up May 2006. Maybe this next one will last 19 months! At least I ordered the coffin online in about two minutes rather than spend half an hour arguing with MS customer support.

I'm actually going to purchase the two-year extended warranty for this one though; it's getting near the three year mark on the original purchase so my next death won't be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom