• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
to me it seems like when i first played call of duty it was new and exciting but the more i play it just seems like the same encounters over and over without much variety. The airstrikes and helicopters are very bogus too i think. Don't get me wrong CoD is a good game i own it and play it but i can't play it for more than an hour and I get board with it. Halo I can play all night.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a little teaser that my pal Nightshade created a couple of months ago for Halo 4: Dark Planetoid Rising:

Narrator: What? You thought it was over?

dps1.jpg

Master Chief: "Not yet..."

Narrator: It's time to finish all the fights you started and finished.

arbiter_3.jpg

Arbiter: "Were it so easy..."

Narrator: Not with all new enemies like the Forerunner standing in your way. You will need plenty of something... Can you guess?

cortanavx21.gif

Cortana: "Luck..."

Narrator: So make sure to pre-order your copy of Halo 4: Dark Planetoid Rising, the fourth installment of the epic trilogy.

halo-3-20070718025752487.jpg

SGT Johnson: "The gaming franchise as stubborn as you are."

Narrator: And make sure to get your girlfriend one too.

Hlo3MFTCrtnn.jpg

Cortana: "Don't make your girlfriend a promise, if you know you can't keep it..."

h3ending.png

Narrator: Rated "E" for everyone.

Ramirez

Contact Harvest is an amazing book so far by the way. :p I like it better than any of Neylunds, although I thought Onyx was really good.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ramirez said:
Contact Harvest is an amazing book so far by the way. :p I like it better than any of Neylunds, although I thought Onyx was really good.

I've tried like a dozen times to give away my signed paperback copy of Ghost of Onyx with no luck. People want t-shirts and gamerpics, but books are right out. Makes urk sad.

Tieno

Stinkles said:
I signed a Nylund Onyx, "Joseph Staten" at NYC launch.

Now THAT is a rare find, surely?

Nylund book, fraudulently signed, by O'Connor?
An original O'Connor 'Mister Chief' signed, would be worth a billion dollars to me, dare I say more than RECON ARMOR!

GhaleonEB

Update is up. Pretty meaty.

When I read this:

Azathoth117 asks: Are the orange worm-type thingies in the back of the Scarab the same things as the worms in Hunters, or is it just superficial resemblance?

The resemblance is not just superficial. A future DLC map might expand upon that mystery.
...my mouth tried to form "holy shit" and "what the fuck" at the same time. I'm glad everyone else had left the office by now.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13160

Also:

Crzymnky069 asks: Will any of the new maps in the future have a vehicle specific to it? Kind of like the Elephant on Sandtrap.

There will be vehicle variations, both aesthetic and functional, specific to certain maps in DLC, but we currently don’t have any plans to introduce a brand new vehicle to the Halo 3 sandbox.

Thermite

Speaking of Halo 3 figurines, when is the insanely badass Brute Chieftain figurine set to release?(It was shown/talked about in a BWU awhile back) I've been looking for it in stores, but have yet to find it..

So I finally made it back to my 360. It has been too long. Got to do my first few team hardcore matches and they were a lot of fun, except that my teammates couldn't kill anything and I lost the majority of the games that I played. One guy started calling all his teammates including me stupid and I quit out on him. I'm still sad that a plasma grenade can't take out a warthog. The turret on the warthog can kill people in seconds. I think it would only be fair to make the warthog vulnerable to sticky grenades similar to the ghost.

Stinkles said:
I signed a Nylund Onyx, "Joseph Staten" at NYC launch.

Now THAT is a rare find, surely?

Nylund book, fraudulently signed, by O'Connor?

lol it is funny that someone who wanted a book signed wouldn't notice the difference between frank and Joseph

Sean

Banned
There will be vehicle variations, both aesthetic and functional, specific to certain maps in DLC,

I'd like the warthog variant with the empty back (no turret but can hold an extra person).

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I wish our party didn't get split up in Social games. It happens a lot and it's really frustrating.

Is there a reason a map cannot be vetoed before it's fully loaded? That would save on loading time.

I played some more team hardcore and gave up. Unless you have friends, you'll be stuck below 5 forever.:lol

And I still am not happy with the grenade strength. Tonight I threw a grenade perfectly between two unsuspecting foes that were standing together, began unloading my AR into them, and then watched both of them turn around and kill me. That shouldn't happen.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Deputy Moonman said:
Is there a reason a map cannot be vetoed before it's fully loaded? That would save on loading time.
Yeah, I also wish that after the majority vetoed the timer didn't continue to count down.

Also, when you view the party details of someone else, why does it show your icon with their colors in the top left?

These are all little things that I'm sure Bungie had on a list to fix, but didn't have time. I'm looking forward to the patch, though.

There is not much discussion happening tonight. I assume it's because it's Friday night. If anyone is looking for someone to add to their buddy list, my gamertag is XxDeputyMoonman. I'll try to be on more often now that I'm back home. But if you're looking for someone with which to play team-doubles, I'm horrible at that gametype. Have a good night everyone.

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, I also wish that after the majority vetoed the timer didn't continue to count down.

Also, when you view the party details of someone else, why does it show your icon with their colors in the top left?

These are all little things that I'm sure Bungie had on a list to fix, but didn't have time. I'm looking forward to the patch, though.
I really don't know. I've never even noticed that before, but will look for it the next time I'm on-line. Do we even have a hint at how soon the patch might be released?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
While exploring Tsavo Highway and The Storm the other day, I noticed some interesting things.

18677907-Full.jpg

That building in the distance reminds me of something I've seen before, but I can't put my finger on it. Something else we've seen in the Halo universe? Or something from Star Wars? I can't remember.

untitled-4.png

When you first exit the cave at the beginning of Tsavo Highway, there's a mountain behind you.

18677654-Full.jpg

If you look closely, you can actually see the hangar that's located in Crow's Nest - smoke from the bomb is rising out of it.

18677392-Full.jpg

I tried my hardest to get out to the Dreadnaught (I seem to recall Bungie saying that the area in which it is resting is actual geometry), but I always got stopped right before crossing off of the ground and onto that unearthed structure. I did get this close-up, though.

18678712-Full.jpg

ChrisD84

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm still sad that a plasma grenade can't take out a warthog.

I don't think one plasma should destroy it, but it should flip it or something.

I'm more bothered by how you can sometimes stick a ghost right next to the driver on the side, and after it blows up, have the ghost drive off like nothing happened (except for a bit of visual damage). At the very least the driver should die in that situation, and normally they do, but on some occasions they don't.

Walshicus

The Lamonster said:
I want to see some Gauss Hog in matchmaking!

I want a fully working the Troop Transport - fully working so that Spartans and not just marines can sit in the rear seats. Also want a map that focuses on aerial combat.

My dream for Halo 3 is a remake of boarding action done as thus:
The two ships become movable objects like the Elephants in Sandtrap. Each one has a hangar bay with Pelicans and Longswords, as well as missile pod turrets. Heaven!

BadAss84 said:
I don't think one plasma should destroy it, but it should flip it or something.

I'm more bothered by how you can sometimes stick a ghost right next to the driver on the side, and after it blows up, have the ghost drive off like nothing happened (except for a bit of visual damage). At the very least the driver should die in that situation, and normally they do, but on some occasions they don't.

I can understand a Warthog taking more than one Plasma 'nade to destroy it but a Ghost should be one stick one kill regardless of where you stick it! If you were as close to a Sticky going off on the ground as you are when you get your Ghost stuck you're going down every time! Maybe not so much with a Spike grenade though, they dont have the same splash damage. So many times i will try and stick the rampaging Ghost and die, taking one for the team to get rid of the bastard, only for him to carry on and rack up some more kills :( not kewl

StranGER

what happened to the Halo while i was gone?

every lone wolf game i played last night people started with BR's???
there were no longer the two brute shot guns on Gardian as well??? where did they go?

the melee system is still busted it seems though so at least there was a air of familiarity to the game still. lol

seriously, i get RRoD and 3 weeks later everything has changed?
tell me BR starts are not the norm now please???

that was one of the 1st steps that had me slow down and eventually move on from Halo 2.

and where the hell are the brute shotguns?

why oh why does my grenade counter up top have a spot for fire grenades but not one single map has any dang fire grenades on it?

Kuroyume

Banned
King Leopold789 asks: Whatever happened to Moon Base Alpha?

“Moon Base Alpha” – a codename only - is definitely still being worked on. It’s received some new lighting and different switches to enable and disable access to various parts of the map. We’re still playing it pretty often. It is a brutal map to play on, that may appeal to fans of Elongation, but is absolutely NOT a remake.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Cocopjojo said:
sweet pics

That building you're inquiring about looks a bit like the area in The Storm, though I don't know if it's positioned close enough to the cliff's edge to be the exact location. Maybe a similar facility. Nice catch on Rat's Nest. Since most of Master Chief's battles on Earth in Halo 3 take place in close proximity, it makes sense that it would all be contained in this overall area, eh?

JB1981

jesus, this game is crazy hard on legendary

any pointers, i consider myself good at halo but i am getting my ass handed to me on crow's nest.

is the plasma pistol key here? do i always need this thing to drop shields? seems like pisto + battle rifle combo is the only way to go.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
JB1981 said:
jesus, this game is crazy hard on legendary

any pointers, i consider myself good at halo but i am getting my ass handed to me on crow's nest.

is the plasma pistol key here? do i always need this thing to drop shields? seems like pisto + battle rifle combo is the only way to go.
Yeah, that worked for me. Constant pop-shots, dude. Find a place with good cover, hit 'em with a plasma pistol burst, and then start loading BR rounds into them. Take cover, reload, and do it again, grabbing more ammo when needed. Once their helmet pops off, headshot them before they rush you and force you out of cover. The good thing about Crow's Nest is that ammo isn't as scarce as on other levels, so the pop-shot strategy works good.

Be sure to pick an area of cover that you can easily escape from, and don't be afraid to retreat and find new cover if you need to.

JB1981

Cocopjojo said:
Yeah, that worked for me. Constant pop-shots, dude. Find a place with good cover, hit 'em with a plasma pistol burst, and then start loading BR rounds into them. Take cover, reload, and do it again, grabbing more ammo when needed. Once their helmet pops off, headshot them before they rush you and force you out of cover. The good thing about Crow's Nest is that ammo isn't as scarce as on other levels, so the pop-shot strategy works good.

Be sure to pick an area of cover that you can easily escape from, and don't be afraid to retreat and find new cover if you need to.
i just feel like i'm always retreating to cover and it's kind of not that much fun. maybe i just suck?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I mean to post these last night, too.

I was using Theater mode to explore Halo late last night (four a.m. or so), getting out of the level and such...

18770313-Full.jpg

I live alone, my lights were out, and I was very tired. I had been exploring for an hour or so and hadn't seen anything extraordinarily cool. After Johnson's death, I started backtracking through the level. I was in a very dark room (in the game) and, having an LCD monitor, the blacks were blacker than normal, so I actually got a bit disoriented and was trying to get my bearings - when I turned and saw this:

18771295-Full.jpg

Needless to say, I practically had a heart attack. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was.

JB1981 said:
i just feel like i'm always retreating to cover and it's kind of not that much fun. maybe i just suck?

Maybe I do, too. :lol Yeah, it isn't always that fun playing that way, but it's the best strategy I've found. Legendary, for me at least, is about conquering a mountain and not about having fun. That's probably why I haven't finished it solo, yet. : /

I like how the levels are linked together like that. Especially the level of detail in something like the hangar, which most people wouldn't bother putting in because not many people will see it.

Tieno

JB1981 said:
For me it really heightened the tension, pushed me and made me aware of the environment and how to use it, planning your next move. It's kind of like a puzzle. Crow's Nest is really difficult but some of the battles against the brute packs are amazing. It shows that Halo is also really good at fighting in smaller, closed spaces.
It improved my BR aim a lot. I had the most kickass moments on legendary, landing on scarabs with warthogs and taking them out was my gaming moment of the year. You're constantly like "oh shit oh shit". Felt like such a badass. Still have the screenshots and the saved films.
Lurning curve was very steep till Tsavo Highway (everyone knows what I mean, that big fight) then after it's easier.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
StranGER said:
so has noone else noticed the changes i mentioned above?

where are those brute shotguns?
Those changes have been in there a few weeks, so we've all gotten used to them.

Yeah, a lot of people think the Maulers are too cheap and that there are too many on the map, so Bungie lowered the number of them on some maps and removed them entirely from others.

And the majority of folks wanted BR starts, so Bungie added that gametype in, as well. But that's not the only thing you get in Lone Wolves. You must have just been unlucky last night.

Lastly, yeah, the fire grenade isn't used in Matchmaking. Probably because a lot of people don't like the idea of having three different grenade types at once, since you'd have to cycle past one set to get to a third, and that takes a lot more time than just tapping the white button and then throwing. That's also why you don't ever see plasmas and spike grenades on the same map.

StranGER

Cocopjojo said:
Those changes have been in there a few weeks, so we've all gotten used to them.

Yeah, a lot of people think the Maulers are too cheap and that there are too many on the map, so Bungie lowered the number of them on some maps and removed them entirely from others.

And the majority of folks wanted BR starts, so Bungie added that gametype in, as well. But that's not the only thing you get in Lone Wolves. You must have just been unlucky last night.

Lastly, yeah, the fire grenade isn't used in Matchmaking. Probably because a lot of people don't like the idea of having three different grenade types at once, since you'd have to cycle past one set to get to a third, and that takes a lot more time than just tapping the white button and then throwing. That's also why you don't ever see plasmas and spike grenades on the same map.

thanx for the response, go away for a few weks and come back and everything is all different, lol

dang, i miss the mauler on Guardian too. sucks only having the one shotgun now. they should throw on a second or a sword to compensate, the brute hammer just doesn't seem to do the trick.

i can understand having just two sets of grenades but it would be nice to have one map have fire and spike as the two main ones. hopefully in the future that might be a possibility.

yeah, i guess i did get very unlucky as everything i played was BR starts, lonewolves or team slayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom