• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

DT770s ain't all that aside from their comfort. Even if you just want bassy you can probably do a bit better in that range. Here are some suggestions: Soundmagic HP150, AKG K553, maybe some M-Audio HDH50 since they can be had so cheap if you're okay with neutral sounding ones.

The Sony MDR-1000X is down to $350 at a bunch of places right now. Started a couple days ago. Not sure if it's just a sale for this week, or the start of a more permanent price drop. If you're looking for a solid wireless ANC headphone, it's worth a look. Best deal on them I've seen since holiday sales.

And yes, I'm the guy that once bashed their sound...but it turns out I was demoing a defective/badly amped pair. I picked some up thanks to the sale and I prefer their sound quite a bit to my Bose QC35's. The 1000X sounds a fair bit like the MDR-1A but with a bit less bass. A nice warm fun sound, with much more natural treble than the QC35.

Picked these up at Best Buy this weekend.

I'm happy with them. I just wish the Switch allowed for bluetooth headsets.

Picked up a pair of Fostex T50RP mk3s
Easily the best headphones audio-wise I've ever owned.

Now I need to read up on modding these babies.
Shure 1540s seem to be the gold standard for ear pads, but I've also heard some good things about Brainwavz various velour and leather HM5 pads.
Any suggestions?

nitewulf

Oh my god. These headphones...so lush, yet so revealing. I knew Holly Cole's Temptation had her dog in it...but the bark at 27s is startling, and I didn't really notice it before! You hear it whimpering as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WTrjgi7LkU

Got my teaks in.

Loaded this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6PKMfkgYk

Ah yes.

I've made a wise purchase.

That is some prodigious bass, I love Grimes.

Check this out...lossless preferably, prepare to get your brain melted in the soundstage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHe_15fJeCA

matmanx1

I love it when you guys suggest cool songs for headphone use. I keep adding them to my Tidal playlists. Feel free to keep it up. =)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If we're posting test songs I'll post up some of mine. Though it's mostly just songs that i love so i would know what stands out from the different headphones.

For separation especially with the percussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xvcFFPQijqk

To test bass hardness and also to make sure the treble won't hurt my ears.

https://youtu.be/sy1dYFGkPUE

Couple for female vocals. I view female vocals to be pretty important in my selection criteria.

https://youtu.be/CS7v8HW658k
https://youtu.be/klBXbqRzNEo

This is what's my go to for male vocals.

https://youtu.be/A3adFWKE9JE

The rest is just pretty much listen to what i come across my library.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Earphone query:

Looking to get some earphones for when I walk home from work.

Not sure whether to get the Soundmagic E10C(£40)
E80C(£80)

Or the Sennheiser M2 Momentum (£65)

Any thoughts?

HiResDes

Earphone query:

Looking to get some earphones for when I walk home from work.

Not sure whether to get the Soundmagic E10C(£40)
E80C(£80)

Or the Sennheiser M2 Momentum (£65)

Any thoughts?
They all sound pretty good. Momentum are really bassy, very V-shaped, lots of treble energy but pretty recessed mids. Bass can be bloated at times for sure but still pretty fun and retains enough clarity. Pretty comfy feeling.

E80 are more neutral sounding with some warmth. Less treble energy, more balanced bass/mids with female vocals coming through a bit smoother. Bass can sport a slow decay at times, but the quantity is in check so doesn't bleed into mids much. I haven't heard the C version, not sure what they sound like or what the differences are.

Some other suggestions within that price range: Fidue A65 (Mid Centric, Even Closer to Neutral), TFZ Series 3 (Bass-head without the complete detriment to the midrange), HifiMan RE-400 (Best Clarity, Best Balance, Mediocre Build), Astrotec AM850 (Close to the RE-400, Great Build, Pricey), ECCI PR300 (V-Shaped As Well, But Smoother Treble)

...You can get those from PenonAudio BTW

Antiwhippy

So, few solid listening sessions with the teaks, and I must say they are pretty lovely. Still not my endgame pair though. From what I know they are the gentlest V out of the all the foster variants out there but while the mids are lovely and detailed I still miss the forward intimacy of the mids in the HD600. Also from what I've read the treble is the smoothest out of all the foster variants but for some songs it can get a little too hot up there, but those songs are usually problematic in that area anyway.

Other than that it's a lovely smooth signature. Bass still not quite basshead but it's definitely emphasized, and has really good slam and digs deep when the song calls for it. Not the tightest I've heard, but it's still technically very good and I like some fatness in my bass anyway, gives a lovely body throughout the signature. Bass can go hard if needed though.

Mids are detailed and smooth, though I would like a touch more in the upper midrange to give female vocals that extra forwardness and intimacy, but still has great presentation. Highs similarly detailed and smooth, and doesn't actually seem to peak until much higher the frequency, so it doesn't really sound that V-shaped for most songs, for the songs that do go there though oof, but those are songs I have problems with most headphones anyway.

Soundstage is pretty good but they're still headphones. I don't think I've ever been impressed by the staging of headphones, not even with the HD800. Just not what I'm looking for in headphones.

Definitely a keeper. Also stupid efficient. Can't even move the knob on my fulla 2 much if I don't want to suffer permanent hearing damage.

Now to see how long I can hold out before losing self control and ordering the ZMF atticus.

Also rediscovering an old favourite that is seriously good if you want to test out the technicalities of the bass as well as separation. Especially Crack hitler.
Faith_no_more_angel_dust.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4xpp10Cm7Y

matmanx1

I think the current Fostex variants from Massdrop and E-Mu are some of the best value in headphones out right now in terms of great sound and great looks for the money. I was seriously impressed with the TH-X00 in all regards except for the earpads which made my ears hot and uncomfortable after an hour or so.

I'm hearing good things about the ZMF pads on the Fostex units though so if I ever owned another one I would probably want to try out the Ori or Eikon pads on them.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I'm thinking of getting the eikon pads. I dunno, I don't really have much problems with comfort. They were on massdrop before though so I might grab them when they are on again.

Jabronium

I've debated getting either ZMF or Eikon pads for my Teaks but since I don't have a problem with comfort I've held off so far. Maybe someday I'll bite.

EDIT: But every time I wind up going to the ZMF site I just drool over the cans there, so I'm probably more likely to finally cave and get a set of those rather than just some new pads.

Chumley

Banned
The Sony MDR-1000X is down to $350 at a bunch of places right now. Started a couple days ago. Not sure if it's just a sale for this week, or the start of a more permanent price drop. If you're looking for a solid wireless ANC headphone, it's worth a look. Best deal on them I've seen since holiday sales.

And yes, I'm the guy that once bashed their sound...but it turns out I was demoing a defective/badly amped pair. I picked some up thanks to the sale and I prefer their sound quite a bit to my Bose QC35's. The 1000X sounds a fair bit like the MDR-1A but with a bit less bass. A nice warm fun sound, with much more natural treble than the QC35.

Picking this up today. Tested some QC35s last week during a trip and thought the sound quality was trash and the earcups felt oddly slimy. Great ANC but that's not a big priority.

Heard these blow those out of the water audio quality wise so I'm optimistic.

matmanx1

Yeah I'm thinking of getting the eikon pads. I dunno, I don't really have much problems with comfort. They were on massdrop before though so I might grab them when they are on again.

I've debated getting either ZMF or Eikon pads for my Teaks but since I don't have a problem with comfort I've held off so far. Maybe someday I'll bite.

EDIT: But every time I wind up going to the ZMF site I just drool over the cans there, so I'm probably more likely to finally cave and get a set of those rather than just some new pads.

I think Massdrop has the Dekoni pads up right now and those are also supposed to be quite good.

Jabronium

I think Massdrop has the Dekoni pads up right now and those are also supposed to be quite good.

Yeah, they do. I just keep reading that the stock pads offer the best sound, and since I don't have a problem with the comfort factor (yet?), I can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

anddo0

Sony XB950N1; (upgrade to the XB950B1) is out and priced at $250, very tempted. I love the XB950B.

These are amazing! I've owned them since last year.
I think it's a permanent drop to $350; Sony has it listed at that price own their own site.

Xander51

Sony XB950N1; (upgrade to the XB950B1) is out and priced at $250, very tempted. I love the XB950B.

These are amazing! I've owned them since last year.
I think it's a permanent drop to $350; Sony has it listed at that price own their own site.

Oooh the N1 is out! Cool! I've been wondering when that would finally hit. Don't really have it in the budget right now but I'll definitely pick some up in the near future.

Zweizer

Banned
Hey guys, first time posting here, and I have a couple of questions:

I'm looking for wireless in-ear earbuds with 3.5 mm jack option. I'm getting tired of having every pair's wires located near the jack snapping after a few weeks, but I'd like to still have the option to use it wired if I ever forget to charge it. I can find lots of headphones with such an option, but no luck with earbuds, so I wanted to ask if such a thing existed? I don't mind if there's a cord between the two earbuds however.

Barring such an option existing, can you guys recommend some good pairs of (extremely) sturdy and affordable wired and/or wireless in-ear earbuds? The sound quality doesn't matter too much to me if the other two requirements are met (heresy I know).

Thanks for your help!

Zweizer

Banned
Which models of IEMs?

As for budget, somewhere around 20-50 euros? Though I may be convinced to pay more if it can last a long while.

Zweizer

Banned
Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately, the Lancube doesn't seem to be available in Amazon.fr, and their shipping is kind of expensive.

As for Mee Audio, they seem tempting, but I can only find the M6, M6P and EDM Universe on Amazon. How are they?

nitewulf

The buzz seems to be very, very positive. Here's the ongoing discussion at SBAF: http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/zmf-eikon-measurements-preliminary.4109/

Long story short: Maybe the best closed can on the market at the moment.

Thanks! Hmm, Eikon drops very sharply after 12K. I'd love to hear it. Definitely looking forward to your impressions! They look absolutely gorgeous and I love when people/manufacturers make their own things like drivers, watch movements etc.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately, the Lancube doesn't seem to be available in Amazon.fr, and their shipping is kind of expensive.

As for Mee Audio, they seem tempting, but I can only find the M6, M6P and EDM Universe on Amazon. How are they?

M6p is what i would go for at your budget.

trixx

Finally have the money to get my first pair of headphones, decided to get the aiaiai tma-2 wireless on indiegogo. Was going to go for the new sony ones but felt that they were too pricey.

Trying to figure out a configuration that would work well for me. Hip-hop, jazz, funk, R&B type of sound, microfiber or leather?

Tommy DJ

Yeah, the current Fostex variants are better than anything else Fostex had previously released by actually providing a tuning that isn't an uneven mess. Cheaper too. Its really a textbook example of how to tune a headphone towards a more coloured sound signature without trying to drown the midrange with excessive bass or trying to deafen you with stupid treble peaks.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, I'm more personally interested in the A & E than the elears. I loved what I've heard of the elears but I do notice that upper mid dip and as much as I've not minded with my auditions I've been wondering if it's something that I can live with long term (or I could just EQ it out like a sane person). The Eikon sounds like something I'll love from reports but I have no realistic way of auditioning it. Also the amping requirements are harsher for the eikons iirc.

The EMU teaks has me content for awhile now though. We'll see how I'll feel down the road. USD$1000 is currently a lot for me to drop on another pair of headphones.

Top Bottom