The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

currently under NDA on a pair of wireless headphones I'm testing out, but they'll be in the market soon and they're pretty darn good.
I'm hoping they are the Zolo kickstarter since I picked myself up a pair of those.

The HD6XX coming early means I need to buy a DAC/AMP soon. Is the Fulla 2 still the best for the price? I really don't want to spend more than $100 on one. Most of my usage will be on my computer, bed, and light travel

Sup HeadphoneGAF. I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs after my Etymonic HF5s shit the bed today. They lasted me a good 3.5 years so I can't complain. I've been out of the earbud game for a while now so I'm hoping people can recommend me some solid options.

Here are some things I look for. The buds don't need to meet every req:

- <$200, but I could probably stretch to $250 if they were amazing
- Flat wire or tanglefree cable
- Inline mic and volume controls for Android
- Good warranty

Thanks!

I'm looking for earbuds in the same style as the Apple Earpods. Since in ear just doesn't work for me regardless it's always way too big for my ears and these apple ones fit perfectly.

Now I hate the sound quality on them obviously, but is there a better solution?

Sup HeadphoneGAF. I'm looking for a new pair of earbuds after my Etymonic HF5s shit the bed today. They lasted me a good 3.5 years so I can't complain. I've been out of the earbud game for a while now so I'm hoping people can recommend me some solid options.

Here are some things I look for. The buds don't need to meet every req:

- <$200, but I could probably stretch to $250 if they were amazing
- Flat wire or tanglefree cable
- Inline mic and volume controls for Android
- Good warranty

Thanks!
Earbuds or in-ear monitors?

I'm looking for earbuds in the same style as the Apple Earpods. Since in ear just doesn't work for me regardless it's always way too big for my ears and these apple ones fit perfectly.

Now I hate the sound quality on them obviously, but is there a better solution?
Budget?
Same design as earpods or just earbuds in general?

What are the best headphones for PC gaming? Price 300 or less.

Not gaming brand.

I play shooters.
The Sennheiser HD 598 are great for shooters. Very wide sound-stage.

There is also the AKG K7XX. Ridiculously comfortable, wide sound-stage and decent bass. Only sold on Massdrop though.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition?mode=guest_open

Your budget is $300 so I would also consider the Sennheiser HD 600/650. Massdrop might have the 6XX(HD650) on sale again for $200 which are more than worth it as that extra $100 can maybe go to an Amp/DAC if needed.

There is also the Monoprice Monolith M1060. Seemingly has shoddy build quality but has a 5 year warranty.

The Sennheiser HD 598 are great for shooters. Very wide sound-stage.

There is also the AKG K7XX. Ridiculously comfortable, wide sound-stage and decent bass. Only sold on Massdrop though.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-k7xx-red-edition?mode=guest_open

Your budget is $300 so I would also consider the Sennheiser HD 600/650. Massdrop might have the 6XX(HD650) on sale again for $200 which are more than worth it as that extra $100 can maybe go to an Amp/DAC if needed.

There is also the Monoprice Monolith M1060. Seemingly has shoddy build quality but has a 5 year warranty.
I got the 598. Great suggestion. I don't like open back thanks though.

I'm hoping they are the Zolo kickstarter since I picked myself up a pair of those.

The HD6XX coming early means I need to buy a DAC/AMP soon. Is the Fulla 2 still the best for the price? I really don't want to spend more than $100 on one. Most of my usage will be on my computer, bed, and light travel
Since you said bed and light travel, Fulla 2 probably best for your $100.

Any hands on opinions on the Sony wf-1000x earbuds?

Have a pair in shipping but already planning on sending back based on a lot of the recent reviews.
my partner just returned her's and picked up instead the 2018 iconX's

the sony one's look great, and have noise canceling ..but if you have that feature on, you struggle to get even 1.5 hours out of them :(

the iconX's are way better. better fit, touch controls, and the option for on board playback ..and yeh twice the battery life even if you turn NC off on the sony's

Just grabbed a pair of PXC 550s for 32% off on Amazon. An absolute steal :D

Wasn't a fan of the QC35 overall sound and I like the fact that the Sennies have a dynamic ANC, as well as on/off.

Almost went with the MDR1000 but read way too many reviews of poor build quality which doesn't surprise me with Sony headphones. If they couldn't get DJ headphones right for durability, then that says it all.

I thought I'd post this for anybody looking for a cheap way into the HD600 range from Sennheiser.

These are a bit different to previous MassDrop collaborations as they're essentially a brand new headset which is the first time they've used this specific driver.

MassDrop said:
Note: The HD 58X Jubilee will launch December 22 for $149.99 with free US shipping. Quantities will be limited to 5,000 units. All units will be serialized and the first 500 purchases are guaranteed a serial number under 550.
Obviously, because they're completely new there isn't a great deal of information out here about how they sound but, as always, HeadFi receive an early review pair for review and measurements. Massdrop x Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee Review & Measurements (YouTube)

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Headphones MassDrop

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations.

I'm not an audiophile by any means and have been using a Sony MDR-XB950BT mostly hooked up via a cable for the last 2 years. The sound quality was, for my ears, very pleasing but the build quality left a lot to be desired. Yesterday I noticed that the right hanger broke (the left one has been broken since months) and since I'm tired of using glue and tape to hold the whole thing together, I decided to buy a new pair.

My budget is roughly $150-200, I don't want to use an amplifier. In regards of open-back or closed-back I'm not really sure what to get. Reading different opinions online makes me think that closed-back is the way to go and open-back is a total no-go at loud places e.g. on a plane.

What's the best bang for the buck?

Hi hopefully somebody can give me a recommendation as I am a complete noob when it comes to audio.

I am looking for:
- wireless (for use with my LG C7 OLED TV via Bluetooth directly without any AV receiver/amplifier in between)
- over-ear headphones
- and I do not care about noise cancelling (purpose is to be able to game late at night without waking the family sleeping next room)
- nor do I play online (no mic needed)
- In terms of sound my only requirement is nice bass
- Budget: Up to 300$ (Japanese brands preferred as they are cheaper here)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
just picked up a pair of sennheiser game one's for $50 thanks to some old guy on craigslist. my first gaming pair of headphones. the first 10 hours were kinda meh but now its sounding really nice. pretty nice having a gaming headset though my dt990s sound better all sound