• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

verio

Matix said:

- 500+ software titles total at launch
- 160+ will be games
- 25% of the App-Store content will be free
- 90% of the software will be priced below $9.99

Wow.

Can't wait.

nofi

iTunes 7.7 is 'hours away' so we can assume Firmware 2.0 will be up today too, bringing about the AppStore.

Can't wait for Monkey Ball.

ecnal

nofi said:
iTunes 7.7 is 'hours away' so we can assume Firmware 2.0 will be up today too, bringing about the AppStore.

Can't wait for Monkey Ball.

i just downloaded itunes 7.7

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Rlan said:
I shouldn't have time for XBLA / PSN / Wii as I already do, iPhone would be too much :lol

Heh, yeah - it would add a hell of a lot to your workload.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow, iPhone is starting to seem like one of those devices that every consumer needs to own like a PS3.

sykoex said:
Wow, iPhone is starting to seem like one of those devices that every consumer needs to own like a PS3.

And just like the PS3...it needs more ram. :lol

Rad avatar BTW - What's that from?

Brashnir

JonathanEx said:
With 160+ games, about 156 of them being secret (at a guess), that's one way to kill any publicity for your title.

long tail business model isn't driven by hype. It's good for the service to have a lot of diversity, and it's good for launch titles to be there when a lot of people will be looking.

KTallguy

Banned
nofi said:
Sigh. Clearly you have no idea.

So are you saying that those games won't be on the service?

Dude, everyone plays those games. Not having them is kind of like not having soft drinks at McDonalds. Sure, lots of people will opt for the Sundae (Monkey Ball, etc.), but you have to have your staples. Not everyone who owns the iPhone is a gamer, or cares about games all that much. Some people just want to kill time on the way to work.

sykoex said:
Thanks! It's from Bionic Commando for PS3. Hoping it'll be an awesome game.

I saw some rad live play footage at GDC back in February, they wouldn't give me the controller though...nearly pushed them out of the way to play it, looks so incredible :D

Chris R

well I just downloaded the free sdk to mess around and see if I can't make a few games :lol

edit: well forget this :lol just looked at some of the source code they provide and it is very very scary :lol Looks like some bastard version of C

Terrell

Ferrio said:
Figuring in that it's a touch screen, not many.
There's a Battleship knock-off with wireless LAN, so the games at launch have already impressed me, between this and Monkey Ball.

jacf29

Banned
I don't really think it matters whether the games are complete shit. The standard owner of an iphone will keep buying them as it seems most casuals (not all) don't care about quality in their games. I'm talking about the casuals who only play cell phone games.

Hell I'm an average gamer and I find myself downloading random cellphone games when I'm bored, regardless of their quality.

Pyrokai

I'm pretty excited about this App Store. I just got an iPod touch for free with a new computer, so I'm happy to be able to get some good use out of it.

I really hope we get a version of Phase for the iPhone, I never had an iPod I could play it on.

Come on Harmonix, do it.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll buy something when the store goes up, probably Monkey Ball.

Aegus

It'd be interesting If this signalld an intent by Apple to focus more on getting a working "gaming platform" on their Macs as well since they're the most like consoles in regard to fixed hardware specs. Sure there's a lot of variations in hardware, but not as much as typical Windows PCs allow for.

ElFly

they are approaching this in the iTunes store way. Trying to get advantage of their beloved long tail.

Many people claimed this should be the case for the Wii's Virtual Console.

Of course, I doubt many of those games are worth whatever price they are asking that is more than "free".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom