• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baconbitz

Banned
Baconbitz said:
Are there any good games that aren't puzzlers or shooters that I can play for more then a few minutes that have a deep story? Most of the games I find usually don't have a story and usually can only play them for a few minutes before doing something else.
Guess there is nothing like that out there

KTallguy

Banned
@Baconbitz

Beneath a Steel Sky is an old PC adventure game with voice acting, it's still puzzlish, no real combat or anything, but I found the story to be pretty interesting. It's like Monkey Island in that respect.

Otherwise there is that expensive Square Enix RPG, I might try it someday.
But there are very few story driven experiences on iPhone because people don't want to pay for them.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
dream said:
I read your question 3 times and I genuinely can't figure out what kind of game you're looking for.

I was tempted to respond with the names of a couple of relatively ambitious Western and Japanese RPGs, but then I said to myself, "yeah, fuck it!"
:)

Acheteedo said:
Does anyone have any good suggestions for turn based games? Examples of what I mean are like Drop7, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and Monkey Island, basically, games where you're not in trouble if you're distracted for a second, so a game like Tetris or a shooter isn't an option.

I want more puzzle games but the majority are time based, so my searches are largely fruitless. Also I love point and click games but Monkey Island, with it's old school difficulty, is impossible unless you played it as a kid or constantly consult a guide. Phoenix Wright is the perfect balance of difficulty for this genre, imo, but at the moment it appears we're slim on options.

For puzzle games:

Angry Birds - this is usually hyped, launch birds with a slingshots to destroy the house of pigs.
Helsing's Fire - Touch the screen, to place a lantern as you move it around the screen to avoid blockages you use potions to destroy enemies.
Transformers: G1 Awakening - is like Advance Wars, turn based battle.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bunch of info and a video on Dodonpachi Resurrection here (arcade shump being ported to iPhone), from the makers of Espgaluda II, looks like we'll have 3 awesome bullet hell shooters, when DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu is released as well later this year.

hyp

Minsc said:
Bunch of info and a video on Dodonpachi Resurrection here (arcade shump being ported to iPhone), from the makers of Espgaluda II, looks like we'll have 3 awesome bullet hell shooters, when DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu is released as well later this year.
still don't understand why there are folks that think the iPhone shouldn't be grouped with the "other" handheld gaming platforms when we're getting gems like this. haters gonna hate i suppose.

toythatkills said:
$30 PSP RPG Crimson Gem Saga just came out for $10. Surely straight in as best iPhone RPG.

One of my favorite PSP RPGs. First one that I literally played straight through from start to finish within a month. (I normally take 2 to 3 months to finish an RPG).

But yeah, the translation was what made it good. Not sure about iPhone version if it's terrible engrish.

Minsc

Gold Member
radiantdreamer said:
One of my favorite PSP RPGs. First one that I literally played straight through from start to finish within a month. (I normally take 2 to 3 months to finish an RPG).

But yeah, the translation was what made it good. Not sure about iPhone version if it's terrible engrish.

Reportedly been confirmed it's a good "Atlus" translation.

BeeDog

I'm sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but I hope someone can help me out.

A family friend gave away his iPhone to my dad, and I now want to erase/"format" the info that is still on the phone (e.g. phone pics, contacts, apps etc.). What's the proper painless way to do this, if there is one?

BeeDog

animlboogy said:
Restore it in iTunes, and don't apply a backup file to it.

Seems to do the trick, thanks. But now I find out that the phone is carrier-locked, and my carrier isn't the supported one. :lol So can't activate the phone in iTunes, lulz.

japtor

Minsc said:
Resurrection is DaiFukkatsu, so unless there's some other awesome bullet hell game we only have 2.
animlboogy said:
Restore it in iTunes, and don't apply a backup file to it.
There's also some reset all settings thing on the iPhone itself, maybe do that before restoring if you're paranoid.
cooljeanius said:
Is there any reason to get the iDevice version if you already have the free PC/Mac version (besides supporting the developers)?
To play it on an iDevice rather than a computer I assume.

freshair

BeeDog said:
Seems to do the trick, thanks. But now I find out that the phone is carrier-locked, and my carrier isn't the supported one. :lol So can't activate the phone in iTunes, lulz.
Use jailbreakme.com and apply the ultrasn0w unlock in cydia :)

BeeDog

freshair said:
Use jailbreakme.com and apply the ultrasn0w unlock in cydia :)

(I'm a total n00b so don't kill me)

Uhm, I'm unsure if I can, since the phone is stuck at the "slide for emergency" screen (that is, it's not activated).

SuperPac

We just released a Lite version of Meowcenaries to the app store. It's got the first two missions of the game. For the low, low price of FREE.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meowcenaries-lite/id385103190?mt=8

screenshot-2.jpg

Full version has 20+ missions with boss battles and bonus stages. Plus we just recently updated it with Open Feint leaderboards/achievements/challenges.

helava

Ahoy, all - sorry for the pimpage, but I wanted to mention that a Retina Display-compatible version of Word Ace was just approved for sale & should be live in the App Store soon. It's probably been a while since most of you last played, but we've been steadily rolling out new stuff, from new gifts to Push Notifications to ridonkulously high-res art. The two Card Ace games are also submitted with RD-compatible art, so they should be getting approved (hopefully) soon, too.

Also, the second run of physical Word Ace decks is coming soon, with their own swanky custom boxes. Should be in next week! Only ... what, seven months later than my initial prediction. :D

Cheers!
seppo

Jonnyram

Kind of getting used to the horrendous battle interface in Crimson Gem Saga now. Game seems to be bog standard as far as the genre goes, but it might be quaint because of the platform. I'm not sure what I think of the sparse voice acting, though. It's very weird to have the 3rd line of a conversation spoken when the 1st line is coming up in the textbox.

Lee N

Membre
Minsc said:
Which one's the third?

Minsc

Gold Member
Lee N said:
Which one's the third?

I was corrected earlier, didn't realize DaiFukkatsu was just another word for Resurrection, and thought one was a sequel and one was a port (but they're both the same game with a different name).

Patriots7 said:
Is FF2 worth it, having never played a FF before 7?

FF1 & FF2 both are awesome if you played them back in the day, the highlight of the series is VI, V, IV and IX, VI perhaps being the best FF ever made (the SNES one, titled III in the US). Wish they'd port the GBA ones over to the iPhone and fill up their series a little more, their other title, Song Summoner looks incredible too, I've only played a little, but it looks great!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Citizen K said:
Just stepping out of lurk mode to say helsings fire ROCKS. that is all.

I just want to counter, to say Helsing's Fire is a massive waste of incredible potential. Smart puzzles are quickly replaced by timing-based enemies and bosses. Yuck.

Minsc

Gold Member
McBacon said:
I just want to counter, to say Helsing's Fire is a massive waste of incredible potential. Smart puzzles are quickly replaced by timing-based enemies and bosses. Yuck.

Depends on how much you game I guess. I started playing on normal, so I have the hard and insane difficulties ahead of me, and I'm only on the 2nd world, and have yet to encounter time based gameplay except for the 1 boss fight which was a nice break from the puzzles. So even if the 3rd and beyond worlds are all timing based, you still have a good 50 puzzles (150 when you factor in the hard difficulty settings) that aren't time-based. For $1, I find that a pretty good value, but I suppose if you're comparing against some other game that gives you 200 hours of puzzles for $1 you might come up short.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Minsc said:
Depends on how much you game I guess. I started playing on normal, so I have the hard and insane difficulties ahead of me, and I'm only on the 2nd world, and have yet to encounter time based gameplay except for the 1 boss fight which was a nice break from the puzzles. So even if the 3rd and beyond worlds are all timing based, you still have a good 50 puzzles (150 when you factor in the hard difficulty settings) that aren't time-based. For $1, I find that a pretty good value, but I suppose if you're comparing against some other game that gives you 200 hours of puzzles for $1 you might come up short.

I'm just kinda pissed that I was so enjoying the game and was looking forward to some rock hard puzzles with this formula, but suddenly the entire concept shifted. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
McBacon said:
I'm just kinda pissed that I was so enjoying the game and was looking forward to some rock hard puzzles with this formula, but suddenly the entire concept shifted. :(

But you got the "absurd" difficulty in the recent update (not to mention the 2x framerate improvement mentioned earlier):

Since our review, one of the main criticisms I've seen of the game is how slowly the difficulty ramps up since most of the earlier levels required very little thought at all. Ratloop addressed this concern by both making the game harder faster and adding the "absurd" difficulty level, even warning players in the iTunes description that this new difficulty level is "way too hard." There are now multiple player profiles for those who share their device with other people, and they even added a new colorblind mode for those who had issue with the red, green, and blue palette of the enemies.

Performance has been tweaked for higher frame rates, and you can now listen to your own music while playing. Best of all, there's an entirely new victory animation– The Tomahawk. Overall, 1.1 is a fantastic update to an already great game.

Did you find it still lacking? I haven't tried it, but I imagine the harder/est settings basically present you with an entirely new set of puzzles to work out, minus the wall locations of the levels, I'm imagining more/harder monsters to deal with.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jroderton said:
Just got my first iTouch. Are there any good RPG's to get for it?

Right off the back I would say look in to Crimson Saga, Shining Force, Chaos Rings, FFI, FFII, Song Summoner, The War of Eustrath, Across Age, and Zenonia to get started (sorta in that order).

In the future you also have Final Fantasy Tactics and Secret of Mana due out later this year (?).

Not sure if I'm missing anything big.

AppleBlade

Does anybody know where I could get a list of the best iphone games made to date? I don't want a list ranked in order by itunes star rating. I'd like something where a group of editors had to sit down and make the list. Thanks in advance.

Minsc

Gold Member
MrVargas said:
Does anybody know where I could get a list of the best iphone games made to date? I don't want a list ranked in order by itunes star rating. I'd like something where a group of editors had to sit down and make the list. Thanks in advance.

Well, from this thread you have these two posts, they have a good 50+ titles to get started. The problem with any list short of a 500 title list made yesterday, is it is probably leaving out a good number of games (even those are undoubtedly leaving out many great games).

For instance, many of the RPGs I just listed a few posts ago aren't on those lists, and by all means Song Summoner, FF1/2, Crimson Saga, etc are pretty damn great.

Septimus

Hey sorry if this has been asked to death, but if I have a 3GS jailbroken the old way with blackra1n (3.1.2), can I just upgrade to iOS 4.0(or .1) and use jailbreakme.com?

After watching an amateur fisherman catch 5 blue fish at the beach, I have an urge to do the same.

Anyone care to recommend an in-depth fishing game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom