• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Re: The Incident - what's with all the Lost references?

I've seen 815, Hanso, Hurley's, 108 XX Timer and, of course, the name of the game!

Minsc

Gold Member
DoctorWho said:
Debating whether to get the iPhone or iPad version of Chaos Rings. 9.99 seems like the perfect price while $15.99 seems a little steep even for an iPad game.

I'd say go with whichever device you find more comfortable gaming on, on my iPhone 4 everything is instantaneous, and I have no problems reading anything or controlling anything, and the battle menus are also good. The only thing that's a little annoying is the inventory screen (they only list like 2 things at a time to see when scrolling), but chances are it's not any different on the iPad.

Echoes

Whoever responsible for AppTilt in GAF: PLEASE consider editing your RSS so that the full article appears instead of a summary. I exclusively use my iPhone for RSS (using Reeder) and this breaks the mold.

Pretty please. I love your site and bought several games based on your recommendations. Love ya!

Reese-015

I am amazed that this isn't being talked about: Critical Wave is AWESOME!

mzl.dikdymqa.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.godlbfhn.320x480-75.jpg

Coolest, smoothest and prettiest Geometry Wars clone I've played to date and it is currently FREE.

I love the fact that it has a somewhat original art style, concept and stunning unique effects.

Speaking of which, how is Geometry Wars: Touch visually on the 3GS? Does it have the glow and ripple effects etc? I've seen videos and screenshots of it looking fabulous and I've seen some of it looking ugly and barren, I'm not sure which ran on which systems.

japtor

Minsc said:
I'd say go with whichever device you find more comfortable gaming on, on my iPhone 4 everything is instantaneous, and I have no problems reading anything or controlling anything, and the battle menus are also good. The only thing that's a little annoying is the inventory screen (they only list like 2 things at a time to see when scrolling), but chances are it's not any different on the iPad.
I've been getting iPhone versions in the hope that iPad 4.x will run them at the iPhone 4 resolution (i.e. no pixel doubling), hell if I'm going to pay extra for a resolution bump and little else. The ones I hesitate on are the ones where the UI could make playing on the iPad a pain vs the iPad designed version, and or they have extra features in the iPad one.
Reese-015 said:
I am amazed that this isn't being talked about: Critical Wave is AWESOME!

Coolest, smoothest and prettiest Geometry Wars clone I've played to date and it is currently FREE.
I synced my iPad before sleeping last night and was wondering what the hell it was...I download way too much free stuff without actually trying them.

Hmm, Critical Wave is indeed neat. Not something that's instantly awesome, but after a few minutes gets pretty cool once the game mechanics start stacking. But man would I kill for Tilt to Live steering.

mehdi_san

Solipskier is indeed a lot of fun, thanks for recommending it. I thought it was a bit expensive, but I didn't realize it's an universal app, so you get the iPhone and the iPad version for the same price. I love when developers do this :D :D :D

Anyone spot any new tactics games for iphone/ipod touch?

I just downloaded the war of eustrath for iphone. They released the iphone version a few weeks ago.

Reese-015

rocksolidaudio said:
Hmm, Critical Wave is indeed neat. Not something that's instantly awesome, but after a few minutes gets pretty cool once the game mechanics start stacking. But man would I kill for Tilt to Live steering.

Really?! Wow, I much prefer the twin-stick controls. Maybe I haven't played Tilt enough yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
oldschoolpinball said:
Btw, any suggestions for any dungeon crawler RPGs?

Just the other day I was thinking, in many ways, Sword & Poker 1 & 2 are the epitome of a dungeon crawler. Nothing but enemies, money, and buying equipment / leveling up. The battles are very strategic, and you're encouraged to mix and match equipment to take advantage of enemy's strengths and weaknesses. So if you're open to a less traditional take on the genre, that still embraces its roots, I'd suggest that.

Dynoro

oldschoolpinball said:
Btw, any suggestions for any dungeon crawler RPGs?
Sword and Poker is excellent; as Minsc suggested, but I would recommend Dungeon Hunter for a simplfied Diablo-style dungeon crawler too

Reese-015

oldschoolpinball said:
Whoever suggested critical wave needs a hug and a kiss. This is one cool game and the controls are very well tuned

It's so good... My current favorite. Its style, polish and incredibly smooth framerate & controls... <3

Dexa said:
do more nds ports (like ace attorney) exist for the iphone?
So far I'm actually finding more that went the other way (e.g.: Castle of Magic, Flight Control, Hero of Sparta). Anyway, Puzzle Quest came out on DS before it came out on iPhone/iPod Touch, but that came out for everything, so I don't know if that would count as a port. At least the first Assassin's Creed game was a DS port, the second one might have been, too. Jailbreak: Voice Onrush was a port of Escapee Go! for DSiWare. Edit: And Civilization Revolution, which was just free.

Alex

I got my iPhone recently and bought a few games. Really enjoying the platform and a lot of the little niches it scratches. Good prices and another platform with good distribution. Defender Chronicles is especially nifty of the (few) titles I've played so far.

SickBoy

I think free app a day is a great service, but I have no clue how people are rating their app so high....

Maybe it's worth more because their site is relatively useless, especially on a mobile device. But while it does what's advertised, I find the app ugly and pretty clunky, to boot.

japtor

SickBoy said:
I think free app a day is a great service, but I have no clue how people are rating their app so high....

Maybe it's worth more because their site is relatively useless, especially on a mobile device. But while it does what's advertised, I find the app ugly and pretty clunky, to boot.
It's a free app that lets them get other free apps. Cheapskateness knows no bounds!

dream

japtor said:
It's a free app that lets them get other free apps. Cheapskateness knows no bounds!

Have you ever used their app though? It's the most aesthetically offensive thing I've ever seen. It's looks like Master P fired up FrontPage 98 to make a website for No Limit Records.

Luxor has me addicted, but it really strains my eyes. Even playing just a level really messes up my vision. I see double, even with one eye shut!

For what it's worth, I have 20/20 vision and haven't encountered any eye issues before. It just sucks because I really like Luxor...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just found out tonight on the plane that you can't even play words with friends locally against a friend if you don't have a connection. for as hard as it is to fuck up scrabble, words with friends really impresses with its effort. pretty confused as to all the love it gets

(all that being said of course i do quite enjoy playing gaffers and friends, again hard to fuck up scrabble but still)

SmokyDave

Barry Lightning said:
any idea why these doujin shmups coders are not doing iphone stuff?

like warning forever, etc

There's a few Kenta Cho / ABA games shooters up. 2 versions of Rrootage, Tumiki Fighters and Noiz2SA off the top of my head. Definitely need more though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom