• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Madden '10 Thread: Thrust-per-step Revolution!

Jtrizzy said:
What's the best way to juke someone who does the hit stick every time on defense? I was playing a friend last night, and he caused me to fumble 4 times with the hit stick, even when I was juking him.

Best bet it just to use the shoulder button to protect the ball right before he hits you.

Nightz

Jtrizzy said:
What's the best way to juke someone who does the hit stick every time on defense? I was playing a friend last night, and he caused me to fumble 4 times with the hit stick, even when I was juking him.
Hold RB/R1 when you get hit. You'll have a better chance of hanging on to the ball.

Zero Hero

Just finished the NFC title game last night with stock 49ers vs. da Bears. Hill threw 2 picks in the 1st quarter and the Bears were up 14-0 after the first. They would have gone up 24-0 late in the second, but Nate Clements intercepted a pass in the endzone and took it back 103 yards to the house going into halftime down 17-7. Hill threw 2 more picks in scoring situations in the 2nd half. It wasn't til Gore dashed off the right guard for 48 yards late in the 4th did I think I would win this game. The Bears tied the game with a 52 yard FG as time expired in regulation. I won the toss and 3 plays later kicked the game winning FG.

I'm thinking that using "My Skill" as a difficulty is too easy. I don't think I should have won all those game with the 49ers IMO. After the draft, I'll probably go back to all pro.

Pro Tak or whatever they called it has to be the most overrated BS feature in Madden history. The game still contains a ridiculous amount of random, unbreakable animations that fuck the game up. Countless times I see a small little speed back running right into 2+ defensive linemen and instead of being engulfed by them and getting tagged for no gain or a loss, he is "tripped up" by them, goes right through them in some falling forward animation, and even though I am right in front of him as he's falling and hit the hit stick to try and stop him, he falls forward to 4-5 yards.

Maybe Animation Breaker is one of the boosters you can buy?

augmental

I finally received my copy for 360 in the mail from the Sports Illustrated deal. It is a legit retail copy / box / manual if anyone was wondering. On a side note, does anyone know where to send roster suggestions? I am not looking to hammer the EA guys but there are some things I would love to send them regarding my Chiefs. If they don't bump up some of the guys that are really low but doing really well in preseason, the team will literally be unplayable in the game. Thanks!

Himuro said:
So I haven't paid attention to Madden '10 at all aside from the occasional talk that EA was making some changes this year.

What'd they do? How'd the game turn out? Is it good for beginners?

there are some improvements, but basically if you didn't like madden '09 you probably wont like madden '10.

as i said, things are better but not drastically. there are still problems but they did fix some issues from last year.

the main thing for this year is the slower game speed, which i think a lot of people are enjoying. still AI issues (especially on the lines), but overall the game is enjoyable

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One thing about beginners is that the manual is terrible and the game has effectively no tutorial. Some of the basic controls and features you have to either read about somewhere or luck into figuring out yourself.

Drek

Jtrizzy said:
R1 is the best way to actually keep the ball.

If you want to avoid the tackle though and potentially break a big one, cut out on him and when he adjusts his angle flick the L stick back the other way and use a spin move (circle on PS3). If you make that motion quickly enough (right, left, circle) your RB will plant his foot and do a pretty sizable spin move, allowing you to clear his hit stick diving tackler.

I play on My Skill with the AI's run stopping down from 50 to 40. The system has adjusted the My Skill running difficulty to just about a click below All-Madden (passing is a click or two above, pass defense is just about right at All-Madden, and rush defense is topped out as high as the game can go). I have some rough games but I can typically grind up a 4 ypc in a game. Sometimes thats 10 carries for 40 yards, sometimes thats 25 carries for 100 yards. All depends on the flow of the game. Though I did just throw up 190 on 23 carries against the Texans (with Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Terrell Suggs, and Clay Matthews who are all pretty quality players).

Of course, that is largely due to my standout OL, worst starter is an 89, and my bull of a FB (83 overall but 86 STR, 96 impact blocking, and 78 run blocking).

I've never had that crazy productive of a game until I drafted my new RB though. 6'4", 265 pound RB with a 92 speed, 96 acceleration (88 agility) and basically mid to high 90's in all the power moves (truck, break tackle, stiff arm) and high 70's to low 80's in everything else (and a 97 carry). Its surreal watching him run the ball. He's bigger than most of the DEs and LBs trying to tackle him, he always drags the first guy for a few yards.

SickBoy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
there are some improvements, but basically if you didn't like madden '09 you probably wont like madden '10.

Don't know about that. I'm feeling better about 10 than I ever did about 09. But still a good number of issues in need of attention.

That said, I don't know how beginner-friendly it is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Himuro said:
That's why I've always struggled with Madden games.

The manuals are like 2 pages and the tutorials are shit.
Same with pretty much all EA games unfortunately--even worse than the already low standard for manuals across the industry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sports games have pretty notoriously bad FAQs, if any. Best guide I ever saw was a FIFA 09 guide on OS, and that was sponsored by EA I believe.

Madden curse strikes poor Polamalu. He went out with an ugly knee injury in the 2nd and from Adam Schefter's twitter "I've already gotten texts from people that are hearing it's not good. Don't know if they're right - just hope he's OK."

If he's out for the season that would suck. I hate the Steelers, but Troy is one hell of a player. Also EA stop putting good players on the cover of Madden to get hurt. Why not just alternate between a 49ers and a Raiders player each year? At least with those two teams you are guaranteed a garbage player.

zugzug

sportzhead said:
If he's out for the season that would suck. I hate the Steelers, but Troy is one hell of a player. Also EA stop putting good players on the cover of Madden to get hurt. Why not just alternate between a 49ers and a Raiders player each year? At least with those two teams you are guaranteed a garbage player.

Hold on wait a minute, how dare you lump the 49ers into such a bad team.....I sure hope you are like 12 and not someone from the glorious 80's! Otherwise I'm gonna call honor duel to the death with toothpicks as weapons!

ReillONeill

Neo Member
I wonder how long Larry Fitzgerald will last, until the curse takes him out. It's too bad about Polamalu because was having one hell of a game.

zugzug said:
Hold on wait a minute, how dare you lump the 49ers into such a bad team.....I sure hope you are like 12 and not someone from the glorious 80's! Otherwise I'm gonna call honor duel to the death with toothpicks as weapons!

Madden does not put retired players on the cover.

Kibbles

Has anyone ever made a comeback after the Madden curse? (No, I don't mean like Brett Favre coming back to the NFL)

sun-drop

i am playing this version of madden waaay more than i ever have any other year, i hardly even touched 09 ..seriously ... just sat on my shelf.

maybe it's the new animation thing, or the time managment thing ...but yeh, i'm looooving it.

also ...the ps3 trophys, sooo glad that are mostly general gameplay focused ... sick of seeing 50% of these based on some franchise mode i'm never going to even touch ... looking at you fifa ...

and brilliant online performance too. can't imagine there are many here in NZ playing but every game i've played has run smooth like butta. impressive.

daycru

Likely a dumb question but how do I change the difficulty? Want to go to All-Pro for my franchise, been looking for 15 minutes. I found the player skill option in the main menu but not in the franchise menu.

daycru said:
Likely a dumb question but how do I change the difficulty? Want to go to All-Pro for my franchise, been looking for 15 minutes. I found the player skill option in the main menu but not in the franchise menu.
You'll have the option to change the difficulty every time you start a game in franchise.

SMOKE

Banned
sportzhead said:

FUCK YOU,

atleast we're 2-0 :D

U dont even have a team until the end of the year and then your team becomes the superbowl winner.

EDITE: I will crush your spirits with them online and convert you to a madden faithful since u have such a big mouth.:D

SMOKE said:
[/B]

FUCK YOU,

atleast we're 2-0 :D

U dont even have a team until the end of the year and then your team becomes the superbowl winner.

EDITE: I will crush your spirits with them online and convert you to a madden faithful since u have such a big mouth.:D

I have a team, the Bucs.

SMOKE

Banned
sportzhead said:
I have a team, the Bucs.

I wouldnt have told anyone, you should have kept that to yourself:lol

If anything the no one from the bucs is worthy of even being mentioned to be on a madden cover ever.

If you dont have nothing to say bout my team (49ers) then dont say nothing at all and keep there name out your mouth unless you wanna be a fan.:D

witness

Anyone available to help me get the 'Hey Buddy' trophy on ps3? We don't have to complete the game or anything, just need to get that trophy really quick then I'll have my platinum.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Long post incoming, much longer than I thought it would be when I started. :lol

Now that I've got about 17 or 18 franchise seasons under my belt (simming all the games, just doing the front office/offseason stuff), I'm getting a pretty good feel for how it works. The last football game I played was NFL 2K5, and I WORE OUT franchise mode on that. Some things I like and don't like about Madden '10.

--- No trading of future draft picks; this is just silly. Trading draft picks in future years is basically the foundation of trades irl. Also, a 10 pick limit per draft? Stupid.

--- stuck on 53 player limit at all times. In NFL 2K5, you got to have more than the regular 53 player roster during the offseason/preseason. This allowed you to keep on some extra guys and try them out in the games before you decided to cut them or trade them. In Madden '10, I have actually had to go in and cut players from my team just to sign all my draft picks. This means I had to cut a known quantity, and potentially take the cap hit, before I even know the attributes of the rookie.

--- Sometimes players or coaches leave my team for no reason I can figure out. I will sign an offensive coordinator for 3 years and then the next season I will have to sign another one. Just this past season I signed Reggie Bush during the season and then during the offseason he was inexplicably on the Steelers. What could possibly be the reason for this? Is there something in the news feed I'm missing (since I don't pay much attention to that)?

--- I like the depth chart system. If you have two REs that are badass and your LE are just middling, it automatically sets one of those REs to be the starting LE. It will even throw a good OLB or DT in at LE if your backups at those positions are good enough.

--- Some players actually have a higher rating if you move them to a different position. The aforementioned Reggie Bush was a 79 rated HB that season, but if I switched him to WR he shot up to 91. Michael Vick makes a decent enough receiver, so he can add backup depth to two different positions. I was also looking to shore up my DT depth when I noticed that one disappointing LE draft pick (rated 70 or so) was actually a 76 or 77 rated DT. Adds an extra kink to the strategy of personnel choices.

--- The exploitable trick of the game that I've found so far revolves around the switching of positions. In NFL 2K5, it was offering a billion dollars to a free agent, then when they accept it going in and changing the offer to pennies while they have the check next to their name and they'll still accept. In Madden '10, you can change ANYBODY'S position to ANYTHING, and thei rating will change accordingly; your team, other teams, anybody. This means you can make Roethlisberger a 12 rated DT if you want to. Not only could you then steamroll a team, but if you wanted to trade for somebody, you can make a few 90 rated players into 12s, grab three at a time with low draft picks, sign them for pennies, then switch them back to their natural position and end up with a superteam. I don't actually do this, since it would pretty much ruin what I enjoy about franchise mode, but it's interesting to see that it's in there. I've been loving to find exploits in sports game franchise modes since Griffey on the N64.

--- Seems really difficult to make a better team so far. Like I said, I just sim all the games, but the first few seasons where I played as the Ravens they started good and got a little better through my choices; Always playoffs in the first year, sometimes SB season, and they kept that up. However, once I had acquired some knowledge and wanted to try my hand at a bad team, I have been using the Buccaneers this past season and despite the fact that I have raised their overall rating by at least 2 or 3 points in each of the 4 seasons I've played they're still a bottom 3 team every year. It's only been one season so the sample size isn't all that large, maybe they've just had bad luck or something and are actually better than that, I know one Ravens season I played had a 5-11 season in between Super Bowl appearances.

--- They need more music. The same few songs repeat WAY too often. Don't know why I don't just mute it and play my own, of course, it's not like there are any sound effects in the offseason menus that I'm missing out on.

--- It was way too easy to grab the best players in the draft over and over in NFL 2K5. The CPU only took 5 positions in the first round ever (DT, DE, QB, HB, T if I recall correctly), so you could load up on picks at the beginning of the 2nd and grab the best players at the other 9 or 10 positions at a bargain price. You could also just check the rookie report and the top players on that list would have the best ratings, but some positions weren't taken until late; an FB could have been the best player in the draft but he wouldn't be taken until the 4th or 5th round just because the CPU was programmed to have super low priority, so you could grab 900+ FBs and SSs every year then trade them for more 1st round picks. I could have25 of the first round picks only 4 or 5 seasons into the franchise. :lol

It's different in Madden '10. The "best" choices are always at the top of the draft list, but they're often busts; Also, players may have a great stat chart next to their name, but when you draft them they turn out to have been scouted all wrong. I actually like this aspect of the game; You can not only get burned on high picks in the first round like in real life, but you also get excited about late round picks with a great stat graph because you may have picked up a great steal late (but you're never TOTALLY sure). I also like the actual scouting reports, as they can often tell you when you're getting a great pick late; When I get reports on every T in the draft and I find a guy who's projected in the 7th or undrafted with pass and run blocking stats of 88 and 86, I know it's worth the risk to grab that guy for 310k per year rather than spend millions and millions of dollars on a first rounder who may bust.

--- A lot of menus and such just seem unpolished. Team or position sorting in the menus switches occasionally from right trigger to left trigger and vice versa. The only way I can find to update the roster is to try to join an online game and let it do it automatically (though admittedly I haven't really spent much time finding an alternate method). It would have been nice to have coaching tendencies not just set to base when you start a franchise and actually have them represent the real teams; I know you're supposed to be the man to do all that, and that's kind of the point, but a different starting point for the teams at least would have been a good thing. You can't run through all the scouting reports for prospects without individually pulling them up for each player (meaning you can't just hit the d-pad and cycle, you have to hit a button to open the report, then close, then go to next player, then open, then close, etc.), but once you enter the actual draft you CAN do it from the draft screen (though 9 times out of 10 I'm encountering a bug where the "scouted" filter returns no results and I have to go look everybody up manually). Lots of little things like this that they dropped the ball on. I think the lack of any competition for football games has a lot to do with this.

Overall, I'm enjoying it and don't regret the purchase, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Allowing the trading of future picks and removing the cap on draft choices alone would go a VERY long way to improving franchise mode imo.

alterno69

Banned
Got the game as a Birthday gift from my wife last friday, man i'm loving it, i have to say this is a HUGE improvement over 09 which i hardly played last year, the tackling animations alone make this game a huge improvement for me, i hated seeing players just stand around a couple of guys going at it so dumb, this year tackles look so much better.

The graphics are IMO a big improvement too, the lighting and DOF effects are nice and the models look better and better proportioned than last years i think.

Madden 09 was boring and stale for me, 10 is awesome.

Zero Hero

Have they even had 1 roster update yet? I just started a new franchise and noticed it still uses the August dc. Pretty sad.

DMczaf

Zero Hero said:
Have they even had 1 roster update yet? I just started a new franchise and noticed it still uses the August dc. Pretty sad.

....theres been like 10 roster updates :lol

On 360, go to Xbox Live, then go to Depth Chart and it updates your rosters (or if you play an online game, it updates them)

alterno69

Banned
I love love love this game but i know shit about the sport, i mean i know the basics and watch the ocasional game but when it comes to chosing the right plays in defense or reading blitzes on offense and man to man coverage and all that stuff i'm clueless, is there some site i can go to like a 101 of football plays and tactics?

I want to be good at the game, i'm even watching the NFL Network channel more lol.

Edit: I'm reading wiki stuff already but any help would be apreciated.

Zero Hero

DMczaf said:
....theres been like 10 roster updates :lol

On 360, go to Xbox Live, then go to Depth Chart and it updates your rosters (or if you play an online game, it updates them)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know I had to do it manually and I only do offline franchise. Guess I'll be starting a new franchise tonight.

Can anyone shed any light on using sprint? I thought I read somewhere that as soon as you hit sprint, the defenders shed their blocks quicker or something to that effect.

MrPliskin

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Picked this up on PS3 recently. Why in the HELL is the voice chat so damn quiet!?

Still trying to find an answer on this. I have to turn announcers off, crowd noise almost all the way down, and everything else about mid way before I can hear the opponent regularly. What is wrong with EA and why does it suck so much?

jergrah

As FYI - Madden Ultimate Team is now available to download (Free!!)

Auction_Block_1.JPG

Legendary_Card_1.JPG

Lineup_Screen_1.JPG

This is an awesome feature, but it's flawed by terrible computer AI and an online community full of assholes. In order to earn coins to buy cards, you have either play a nice game with the cheating, freakishly fast computer AI, or be subjected to constant cheese by actually playing a game with a lobby person. It is EA of course, so you can also use real money to buy packs of cards, which means anyone with more disposable income than others will be at an instant advantage.

You can't play people on your friends list, you can't play unranked scrimmages and you can apparently play against regular people using regular teams while you have your MUT. An awesome idea that they hopefully improve upon.

I really doubt it, but are there separate lobbies for people who actually play to get the packs and those who just buy them with real dollars? I know EA is probably hoping people feel pressured to buy real packs to keep up, but I can tell you I will never do that. So to me, this feature, while cool, may be pointless.

SickBoy

Monroeski said:
Long post incoming, much longer than I thought it would be when I started. :lol

I'm not usually one to suggest a PC game to a console gamer, but then again it may be an assumption you're playing on console.

But seriously: http://www.solecismic.com

Front Office Football. It might have "2007" in the name, a pretty boring front end and not have a real NFL license, but it's a fantastic management game... miles better than Madden franchise mode. Plus, if your computer has any sort of processing power you should be able to run it. I'm seriously considering installing Windows on my Mac to play it again.

Balb

I'm kind of in a hole for my Ultimate Team. I can't buy packs (I'm broke), and I'm missing a few position players, and I'm not paying EA money to dig myself out. What can I do?

Greg

Balb said:
I'm kind of in a hole for my Ultimate Team. I can't buy packs (I'm broke), and I'm missing a few position players, and I'm not paying EA money to dig myself out. What can I do?
What version? If it's PS3 I could probably help you and post some cards up for 1 coin (unless you're completely broke).

Send a PM and I'll get back to you later.

jergrah

Also, something I finally tried last night after grinding out games against the CPU on 7 minute quarters to slowly build my team......drop the quarters down to 1 minute. Doing this you can easily get around 300 coins per game. Then once you feel like you have a squad you are more comfortable playing with, up the quarters back to 5-7 for CPU games and start playing online with your team.

Im sure others have probably already figured it out - but thought Id share. I assumed my coins would be greatly reduced due to quarter length but it was pretty close. Just playing 1 minute quarter games for an hour should rake in enough coins to field a pretty solid team.

Another nice option for when you first start and everyone in your starter pack is so slow - go into the Settings in Ultimate Team and change the minimum speed to ~65 or so. It helps to balance out how poor your initial team is.

Lkr

Ok...so I'm playing as Arizona, and I'm wondering how I am supposed to complete post passes. Fitz will run a post, but I can't float the ball over him so he can run to catch it. I remember being able to do it with the Eagles(McNabb/Owens) in older Madden, but I can't figure it out now. How do I do it?!?!

Also, can I change AZ from a base 3-4 defense to a base 4-3?

Ramirez

Lkr said:
Ok...so I'm playing as Arizona, and I'm wondering how I am supposed to complete post passes. Fitz will run a post, but I can't float the ball over him so he can run to catch it. I remember being able to do it with the Eagles(McNabb/Owens) in older Madden, but I can't figure it out now. How do I do it?!?!

Sure, just pick some teams defensive playbook that runs 4-3.

jergrah

Lkr said:

Holding LT will automatically (though doesnt always work just right) + the WR button will place the ball the best way automatically. Also, tapping the button vs holding it will result in a lobbed ball vs a bullet pass (and everything in between). I would suggest going into practice mode and just playing with it there. You can also lead your guys based on how you are pressing the left stick.

Someone already answered the 4-3 question, but yes...you can change it. In Franchise, you can change it once to any other teams defense or just a a 3-4 base as an option and it will stay that way. In online games, you change it on the screen where you select your team and set your uniform.

--------------------------------------------------

In regards to Ultimate Team, Ive been spending a bit of time on it and came up with the 5 following ways to improve it. I posted the same info to my site/blog which I do as a hobby outside of work (no ads) -- Assortment of Geeks -- so yeah, Im sourcing part of my own article :)

1. Fully Integrated: As of today, you only earn coins to buy new cards if you are playing with your Ultimate Team. We feel that you should be awarded coins, cards and/or packs regardless of the mode you are playing. This would only add incentive to check the mode [Ultimate Team] out for people who have yet to do so. Whether a person is playing an online ranked match, player match, offline exhibition, offline franchise, etc -- reward them. For example, for people who participate in an online franchise, reward the Super Bowl winner with 5000 coins or a Platinum Pack of cards. Even if the game to game rewards arent as high as those you earn in the Ultimate Team mode, it would be nice to get something. 1 card per game, a flat rate of coins based on difficulty and winning vs losing, packs of cards for winning playoff games, etc -- as long as the player is continuously encouraged to go back into Ultimate Team.

2. Reserve Slots: Add 5 player card reserve slots to the deck. The reserve slots would be a place to hold onto any cars you really want, but dont have a Contract Card to extend the life of. Multiple times we have run into having 2 expiring player cards we really want to keep but no Contract Card(s) to play on them. Adding the reserve slot would remove the card from the deck, so you cannot use it in a game, but it also doesnt count against the remaining contract. To keep players from abusing the system, simply add a rule that only cards with 1 game remaining on the contract are allowed to be moved to the reserve deck.

3. Trading/Gifting Cards: First off, the auction house is fantastic. Its intuitive and easy to browse, making it very simple to buy or sell cards. With that stated, we feel a much needed addition would be the ability to trade cards with other players, very similar to how player trades are handled in online franchise. For example if Im willing to give up 3 silver cards for 1 gold card and the other party agrees to the proposal, let us do it. On a more basic level, if I want to give my friend a card, I should be able to gift any card in my deck straight to them.

4. Play for Cards/Coins: Every competitive mode (Ranked Match, Player Match, Ultimate Team Matches) should have 2 new play lists titled Play for Points and Play for Cards. These modes would allow players go to put up points or cards on a game, where the winner takes all. Allow Play for Points games to rank anywhere from 100 to 1000 coins and Play for Cards to go from 1 to 5 cards. In a Play for Cards game, the winner would be able to select the agreed upon number of cards from the losers deck after the game. In Play for Points games, the loser simply loses the coins they put up in the wager and winner gets them. Additionally, add similar options to daily or weekly offline challenges. For example, have a challenge that costs 250 coins to enter, where the player's Ultimate Team is down by 14 in the 3rd Quarter. If the player comes back and wins, they get their 250 coins back, plus an additional 500. Simply add a risk/reward option to each of the challenges, the more difficult the challenge, the better the payout.

5. Stat Modifier Cards: Add a new card type, called Stat Cards or Stat Modifier Cards. These cards could easily fit into the current Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum levels -- with weaker modifiers being Bronze and elite or rare modifiers being Platinum. Cards like "O-Line Unity" that when played increases the awareness of the O-Line players by +5 or +10. Or "Sticky Hands", which could be applied to a WR to increase their catch statistic. Very similar to the contract value on player cards, stat cards could be a one time use, permanent stat change for the life of a player card or good for a handful of games. Once applied to a card, the card would then have an overlay of the stat modifier played and how long the modifier would last.

MrPliskin

Banned
Okay, seriously what am I missing? Me and a friend play Madden online (PS3) all the time, both using official PS3 headsets, neither of us can hear jack.

In other games, it's juts fine.

What gives?

Top Bottom