• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Madden '10 Thread: Thrust-per-step Revolution!

Flunkie

Banned
mik said:
So, this doesn't happen on my 360 version, but the PS3 version periodically stutters, especially on the snap and on all the kick meters. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgzAkjxQ95Q

Anyone else experiencing this?
YES! It happened nearly every play my very first game I played. Since I started playing in Franchise Mode it hasn't done it as much, but when it does happen (and especially on kick meters, like you said), it's very, very annoying.

PS3 version, we're talking about.

DMczaf

CartridgeBlower said:
Just had a guy play as McNabb...scrambled every play and was still able to make accurate throws.

I thought that crap was supposed to be removed from this years game?

He has a 94 throwing on the run rating, expect him to be pretty accurate on the run :p

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
CartridgeBlower said:
Just had a guy play as McNabb...scrambled every play and was still able to make accurate throws.

I thought that crap was supposed to be removed from this years game?

McNabb actually makes good throws on the run. so thats realistic

GQman2121

Banned
oneHeero said:
Sorry if this has been asked but, what qtr length do you guys play for your franchise? Accelerated clock on? And if so, set to what settings?

Here's what I've been playing with for the last few days. The cpu and I are getting in about 50-60 plays each per game.

GAME OPTIONS
14 minute Quarters
Accelerated clock - ON
Runoff - 25 sec
Injuries - 45
Fatigue - 45
Game Speed - SLOW
Player Min Speed Threshold - 25

PENALTIES
Offside - 100
False Start - 100
Holding - 50
Facemask - 70
Defensive Pass Inter - 100
Offensive Pass Inter - 100
KR/PR Inter - 100
Clipping - 75
INT Grounding - 100
Roughing The Passer - 100
Roughing The Kicker - 100

PLAYER SKILL - Press X or A on each skill to bring up the sub menu.
Preset Skill Level - Custom
Passing: 14 Qb Acc - 25 Pass Blocking - 25 - WR Catching - 40

Rushing: 11 Broken Tackles - 30 Run Blocking - 55 Fumbles - 40

Pass Defense: 4 Reaction Time - 60 Interceptions - 70 Pass Rushing - 100

Rush Defense: 10 Reaction Time - 40 Block Shedding - 40 Tackling - 60

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Acc - 45
Passing Blocking - 5
WR Catching - 50

Rushing:
Broken Tackles - 45
Run Blocking - 65
Fumbles - 60

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time - 40
Interceptions - 35
Pass Rushing - 45

Rush Defense:
Reaction Time - 45
Block Shedding - 35
Tackling - 60

Special Teams:
FG Power - 40
FG ACC - 40
Punt Power - 40
Punt ACC - 40
Kickoff Power - 45

I've been having some pretty competitive games tonight.

I killed the Vikings with the Cowboys 40 to 14. AD had over 150 rushing yards and 2 TDs, but Jackson threw for less than 150 and had 3 picks. I also had 4 sacks with minimal blitzing.

The Pats took it to me as the Cards, 32 to 17. Brady threw for just under 300 and had 4 tds and 1 int. They ran the ball 17 times, which seems about right considering how the game was moving along.

I then had 8 turnovers with Philly against the Packers at snowy Lambeau Field. I was trying to get the Trophy for beating them at home in the snow, and the cpu was just having none of it. I fumbled 6 times and threw 3 INTs, two of which were duck shots from McNabb getting hit. I'm pretty sure the game is programmed to make it hard to beat them at home in the snow because the fumbles were just out of control. I still only lost by 3 though, 35-32.

Please try these out and let me know how they work for you.

Flunkie

Banned
Flunkie said:
YES! It happened nearly every play my very first game I played. Since I started playing in Franchise Mode it hasn't done it as much, but when it does happen (and especially on kick meters, like you said), it's very, very annoying.

PS3 version, we're talking about.
I didn't knock on wood. It just started doing it hardcore again.

CB3 said:
McNabb actually makes good throws on the run. so thats realistic

Yeah, but in the game it gets completely abused. That's the problem. Once or twice...whatever. EVERY OTHER PLAY...same shit since Madden 06. Ugh.

I played the demo on PS3 and I'm liking it so far, much better than last year's demo IMO, it might be worth a purchase for a change.

Question, how do you send somebody in motion? I remember in the old Maddens, all you had to do was press the down arrow until you got to the selected receiver and then press the right or left arrow to send him in motion, but it seems like they changed that now...

CB3

AranhaHunter said:
I played the demo on PS3 and I'm liking it so far, much better than last year's demo IMO, it might be worth a purchase for a change.

Question, how do you send somebody in motion? I remember in the old Maddens, all you had to do was press the down arrow until you got to the selected receiver and then press the right or left arrow to send him in motion, but it seems like they changed that now...

Press B or Circle till it cycles to the player you want then press left/right

Captain N

mr stroke said:
errrr

I keep getting disconnects online. Twice tonight. WTF EA :(
I am 0-2 for no reason

i played 4 ranked matches so far and no disconnects yet. sorry to hear that. 360 or PS3?

ryan-ts

I was playing this at EB and I gotta say some people are overanalyzing this game way too much. I was playing this on basic all-pro settings and I had two great game rushing, 100+ with Ryan Grant and I ended up with 3 sacks as well in my final game, 2 from my linebackers. I thought the o-line was great in both pass and run. Do people just watch every replay or something and then cry about the ai when one bad things happens? It might be in my best interest to just stay away from the madden threads because people are bringing up all sorts of issues I never even noticed.

Final thoughts: I thought it played really well and I enjoyed the couple games I played.

RS4-

mr stroke said:
errrr

I am 0-2 for no reason

lol, I was on my way to a win, my opponent fumbles in the last two minutes and the game just freezes. I can still bring up the Guide menu :lol

Didn't record my match at all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Story time! I had the greatest moment in the history of my playtime with any Madden ever last night again a co-worker/friend. It was Pats vs. Steelers. Close game 17-17. He drives down the field, using good clok management and hits a field goal with 1 second left. Me being a Pats fan, I'm thinking "Just get it into Brady's hands somehow..." but then I remember the squib kick and said "Fuck."

So, I believe he forgot you can squib kick it (it's been awhile since we played last Madden or thought about football) and he does a normal kick off. I'm like "Nice, let it go out of bounds." but it doesn't! It bounced at the one yard line and stays in play. My players are all in a clusterfuck and Alex Smith (TE) picks up the ball?!?!

Then the wildest shit happened! I had a little convo ahead of me that made three blocks and I saw daylight! Smith is a slow fucker though, so two Steelers caught up. NO! Missed trackls! NO! Smith powers through a tackle! I see more daylight! The game goes into roadie run! One last Steeler is gaining quick! He jumps ...slides right off Smith! TOUCHDOWN!

At least 15 minutes of laughing, celebration, cussing and madness ensues at 1:00am.

I have the replay saved as a highlight, but it didn't get the entire play (the start made it epic). I can consider that $50 I paid for the game will spent now.

CartridgeBlower said:
Yeah, but in the game it gets completely abused. That's the problem. Once or twice...whatever. EVERY OTHER PLAY...same shit since Madden 06. Ugh.
Defend against it then, DE contain and CB blitz say hi.

ngower

I haven't bought a Madden since 2005, someone sell me on this game!

Seriously, how easy is it to jump in and for a PSWii60 owner, is it worth grabbing this over the major upcoming releases (oxymoron?) or past titles I've missed out on?

oneHeero

GQman2121 said:
Here's what I've been playing with for the last few days. The cpu and I are getting in about 50-60 plays each per game.

GAME OPTIONS
14 minute Quarters
Accelerated clock - ON
Runoff - 25 sec
Injuries - 45
Fatigue - 45
Game Speed - SLOW

PENALTIES
Offside - 100
False Start - 100
Holding - 50
Facemask - 70
KR/PR Inter - 100
Clipping - 75
INT Grounding - 100

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Acc - 45
Passing Blocking - 5
WR Catching - 50

Rushing:
Broken Tackles - 45
Run Blocking - 65
Fumbles - 60

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time - 40
Interceptions - 35
Pass Rushing - 45

Rush Defense:
Reaction Time - 45
Block Shedding - 35
Tackling - 60

Special Teams:
FG Power - 40
FG ACC - 40
Punt Power - 40
Punt ACC - 40
Kickoff Power - 45

I killed the Vikings with the Cowboys 40 to 14. AD had over 150 rushing yards and 2 TDs, but Jackson threw for less than 150 and had 3 picks. I also had 4 sacks with minimal blitzing.

The Pats took it to me as the Cards, 32 to 17. Brady threw for just under 300 and had 4 tds and 1 int. They ran the ball 17 times, which seems about right considering how the game was moving along.

I then had 8 turnovers with Philly against the Packers at snowy Lambeau Field. I was trying to get the Trophy for beating them at home in the snow, and the cpu was just having none of it. I fumbled 6 times and threw 3 INTs, two of which were duck shots from McNabb getting hit. I'm pretty sure the game is programmed to make it hard to beat them at home in the snow because the fumbles were just out of control. I still only lost by 3 though, 35-32.

Never missed with settings before, EVER. I simply throw it on All Pro and put 7 min qtrs and play but was looking for something more deep. So I'll definitely be trying these settings right now. THANKS!

oneHeero

oneHeero said:
Never missed with settings before, EVER. I simply throw it on All Pro and put 7 min qtrs and play but was looking for something more deep. So I'll definitely be trying these settings right now. THANKS!
I'm Cowboys playing the Steelers, 17-0 in 1st half. Ben has thrown 2 picks.

Aeon712

Anybody know a good blitz to reach the qb before he hands the ball off? Thats one of the few trophies I can't seem to get. That one the fumble in the endzone and unintended receiver is really ticking me off.

Balb

I've played about 7 or so games and I'm glad that the defense isn't as jacked as it was in 09. So far this game is significantly better.

CB3

Aeon712 said:
Anybody know a good blitz to reach the qb before he hands the ball off? Thats one of the few trophies I can't seem to get. That one the fumble in the endzone and unintended receiver is really ticking me off.

I got it by calling Jam Middle in goal line and Diving when the ball was snapped

anddo0

mik said:
So, this doesn't happen on my 360 version, but the PS3 version periodically stutters, especially on the snap and on all the kick meters. Like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgzAkjxQ95Q

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thank god. I thought it was only me..

I wrote the following at different boards...

Madden 10 may/may not run properly if you have a custom hardrive. I have a 320gig hdd and there have been some pausing issues. The pause happens after snapping the ball. It last about one second, if that.. But, its there and it's noticeable.

Question for PS3 owners. Are you getting a slight pause after you snap the ball? In practice mode the game runs smoothly. However, when you play a normal game there is a slight pause post snap on offense and defense. It also makes kicking difficult as well.

Ok, I did some homework. I need input from my fellow PS3 owners to validate my theory.. I exchanged my original copy of the game.. However before I did so, I had them test it out. Much to my surprise the game ran normally. The store owner said maybe its my system.. But, I knew better. I asked him which version of the PS3 was the game running on. He replied 20gig. So, that got me the thinking maybe the pause issue was tied into the hard drive.

To make a long story short. I switch out my custom 320gig harddrive and put in the factory 80gig.. And what do you know? The game runs smoothly.

What I need to know from PS3 owners is the following.

Model type (20, 40, 60, 80 gig):

Do you have a custom hard drive? If so does your game have a slight pause after you snap the ball?

What is the name brand of your custom harddrive?

I think this could be helpfully. Maybe EA could somehow patch this issue if it is indeed tied to the harddrive. In my case I can say with 100% certainty it is.

Its a hard drive issue. It works fine on two out of three of my hard drives.

Aeon712

CB3 said:
I got it by calling Jam Middle in goal line and Diving when the ball was snapped
Thanks, gonna try that.

I'm not having the stuttering issue that some are having. The only stutter I've encoutered has been on a couple online games but thats to be expected.

anddo0

Aeon712 said:
Thanks, gonna try that.

I'm not having the stuttering issue that some are having. The only stutter I've encoutered has been on a couple online games but thats to be expected.

Its a hard drive issue. The HDD giving me trouble is a SAMSUNG M6 Series HM320JI 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache. Hopefully more people speak out about this. My hard drive is fine, it's Madden and the way it accesses the hard drive.

I had the most obnoxious game today. I was the Cowboys, he was the steelers (what a shock) in a ranked game.

He got the ball first and took up the entire first half on his first drive. He was on the goalline and I stopped him 3 times and he turned it over on downs with 1 second left. I tried to punch it out with Barber but my Oline decided not to play so 2-0 first half.

Second half I do well and take a 14-2 lead. Thats when EA decides to take the game into their own hands. I make a stop and get the ball back and the first play Felix Jones fumbles the ball. They dont even give me a chance to win that stupid mini game and he gets the ball and scores on 3 missed tackles. Than, its Barbers turn to fumble...Messieh eventually scores with 38 seconds on the clock. I try making one last effort anyway even though I know EA has chosen a winner already. Bear in mind I have one T.O. left. I made a play down field to the 40 yardline....my QB than proceeds to get stuck on one of my o-line and forces me to use my last T.O.....cause he cant hut/hike the ball. What a shitty loss...

Why do developers feel the need to go out of their way in developing rubber band tactics???? Fucking hell.

P.s this took 10 min to type onPS3 browser.

mr stroke

mr stroke said:
errrr

I am 0-2 for no reason

360 Version

Its not my connection(otherwise it would have logged me out of Live) so I have no clue what it is. Friend of mine had the same issue last night.

bjscott05

mr stroke said:
anyone try the PSP version yet?
good, bad?
I looked at some videos on youtube and it looks like the same game as last year. I think NCAA is the better PSP football game this year with the new Career mode.

KaYotiX

Banned
GQman2121 said:

GAME OPTIONS
14 minute Quarters
Accelerated clock - ON
Runoff - 25 sec
Injuries - 45
Fatigue - 45
Game Speed - SLOW

PENALTIES
Offside - 100
False Start - 100
Holding - 50
Facemask - 70
KR/PR Inter - 100
Clipping - 75
INT Grounding - 100

CPU SKILL
Passing:
QB Acc - 45
Passing Blocking - 5
WR Catching - 50

Rushing:
Broken Tackles - 45
Run Blocking - 65
Fumbles - 60

Pass Defense:
Reaction Time - 40
Interceptions - 35
Pass Rushing - 45

Rush Defense:
Reaction Time - 45
Block Shedding - 35
Tackling - 60

Special Teams:
FG Power - 40
FG ACC - 40
Punt Power - 40
Punt ACC - 40
Kickoff Power - 45

My settings are kinda like those but i turn the INT's for user and CPU to 10-15 otherwise its a INT fest and my special teams sliders are all around 30 or so, makes kicking FGs a actual test of skill.

Aeon712

Played a game online against the Giants (13) with the Eagles (10) of course. Was stopped on 4th and inches with less then a min left with all 3 time outs. Guy tried to run up the score though he passed deep balls the first two plays and run it on 3rd. Stopped the clock with 27sec left and D Jax destroyed the Punt Return.

Video of the monster return :D

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/8487184

Kingpen

Had the best game I've ever had in video game football today. Steelers franchise vs. Bengals (week 3). (on All-Pro)

Bengals swarm with great special teams and defense make my punt returner muff a kick fumble and they recover it for a TD. Huge blitz pressure on Big Ben, and cause him to loft up a wounded duck as he gets hit, gets picked off and returned to the house. I get 2 Huge bombs throughout the course of the game to keep it close, and bust out a long run with Parker for another one to go ahead. Intercept Palmer to return an INT to the house as well. so I'm sitting comfortable.

Palmer does an awesome 4th quarter comeback working the sidelines, and they tie the game. I get the ball back with 2 minutes left, and then cause a turnover and take it away from me. They fight for every yard to setup a 40+ yard field goal, only to have it sail through but be overturned for offensive holding.

We go to OT, they win the Toss, I stalemate them after a few first downs. I march down, they stalemate me. They get to the final seconds of OT, and bust out a huge pass to Ochocinco to finally get the field goal.

I lost the game, 35-38, but it was such a crazy awesome game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Picked the game up earlier today. This makes it only the second football game I've bought since NFL 2K5.

Of course, the first I bought was Madden '09 last year, but I never even played it before I returned it, so this still has a chance to be the first one I've played since 2K5. :lol

Flunkie

Banned
anddo0 said:
Its a hard drive issue. The HDD giving me trouble is a SAMSUNG M6 Series HM320JI 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache. Hopefully more people speak out about this. My hard drive is fine, it's Madden and the way it accesses the hard drive.
That's what I feared. I don't want to change my hard drive to play Madden properly. :(

Is it too much to hope for a patch?

j-wood

I was thinking about buying this in the next day or two, but I have a quick question.

I know they continually update the roster and stuff, but next year, when the new version of madden comes out, can you still get roster updates for the 2010 version? Or does online support completely stop, including people playing online, servers and stuff?

Also, do you still have to start a quick online match to update it, and then back out of the game if you don't want to play online? It seems like they should have something in the option menu to do that, because I feel bad doing that :(

j-wood said:
I was thinking about buying this in the next day or two, but I have a quick question.

I know they continually update the roster and stuff, but next year, when the new version of madden comes out, can you still get roster updates for the 2010 version? Or does online support completely stop, including people playing online, servers and stuff?

Also, do you still have to start a quick online match to update it, and then back out of the game if you don't want to play online? It seems like they should have something in the option menu to do that, because I feel bad doing that :(

Madden 10 will only update the rosters up to approx this year's Superbowl (Feb 2010), you gotta buy Madden 11 to get rosters updated more current than that, but you can still play online after this and with older versions, Madden 10 I would think should have at least a 5 year shelf-life for online play so ur safe there

I havent found any other way to download rosters than trying to start a quick game like you mentioned, I checked the menus and didnt see anything.

GQman2121

Banned
KaYotiX said:
My settings are kinda like those but i turn the INT's for user and CPU to 10-15 otherwise its a INT fest and my special teams sliders are all around 30 or so, makes kicking FGs a actual test of skill.

I kept the cpu INTs at 35 because I hate seeing the computer drop clear picks. It also keeps you honest as a QB. Sometimes you just have to take the sack or throw it away.

EekTheKat

Played a Cardinals vs. Bears game this morning and had some great stuff happen.

I just ran back to back kickoffs for Touchdowns with Devin Hester (ran the first one back, Warner scorched my D on the next series, then Hester ran another one back) :lol It was ridiculous how fast he was pulling away from everyone else once he gets that clean line.

My first ever pass with Jay Cutler was picked off by Fontenot :lol Then Urlacher picked off Warner and ran it back for a touchdown :D Soon after that Hester just completely blew the game wide open by himself with 2 102 yard kickoffs for touchdowns.

Fun times :lol

If I have to put up with of the worst play by play announcing I've ever heard, is it too much to ask that they both not speak at the same time?

advanced to the playoffs in year 1 of franchise. the seahawks were kept out with a 10-6 records and the skins got into the playoffs at 8-8 (division winner). lolz

anyhow i finished 12-4 thanks to the being the best rushing team in the league. all my qb's fucking sucked (or i suck rather, i'm controlling them), but nate davis has potential.

i got a first round bye and now have to play the packers in san fran. the catch III coming up!

as far as some season ending stuff, there are a few minor concerns. most of the stats look pretty good. the two problems i see are tackles and rushing TD's. unfortunately, EA did not group assists and tackles together, so when you're going for defensive player of the year patrick willis has "74 tackles" instead of 150 or 160. then with rushing TD's i led the league with 16 for frank gore. this # is realistic for the most part but my problem is the 2nd place guy. only 8! this isn't very realistic and shows the trouble with CPU running (i guess even in simmed games its a problem!)

overall single player is the best it has been in years. it's the first time i've finished a season since madden 06 xbox. i hope they release a patch because the CPU flats coverage needs to be fixed. people say this isn't a huge concern but it is. it's one thing to play a human player, we can scheme to get the flats covered or do it ourselves. but when you're playing the CPU, they just don't adjust.

someone on opsports ran tests with the texans using sliders (in the CPU's favor!). all he did was a shotgun play with RB's going out into the flats. he ended the game scoring 84 points and throwing for like 700 yards using this play exclusively. this is something that shouldn't happen (obviously), but more to the point someone at tiburon had to have seen this. the game has been out a week and people already find this stuff :(

mr stroke

what do you guys think about the clock run off during online games?

it makes it faster, but damn your self to hell if you want to look though plays or call an audible as the clock runs so damn fast :(

Top Bottom