• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

markatisu

schlew said:
I've loved the game, but it's been tough for me to think of things to say.

I'm not going to say this thread is a showing of the game's selling strength, despite the narrative it's a hard game to go on and on about.

There are only so many ways to talk about kills. A majority of the posts are helping others get through levels or find ways to make new kills.

But the game itself does not warrant too much discussion because the story is so short, and there are not a whole lot of negative things to say.

Dascu

I'll need some tips on how to get Ultra and Extreme kills. I think I managed an Extreme once (that's one above Super right?).

Oh, and Frank was easy. Stay on the ramp, jump chainsaw attacks and jump when he yells Frankenstein. Didn't have any problem with the QTE's either.

Actually, most of the bosses are fairly easy. I have more trouble with the mini-bosses like Big Drillers and Tengus. God I hate Tengus. I loved the Tower though... Good old-fashioned fighting. The Driller and 2 Crocker combo was a challenging and fun fight.

Honestly I'm not talking about it because everything seems like a spoiler at this point. Could list out the commentary, but it's a spoiler. Same with the story.

Talk about tactics? People have been doing that... but it's really a game where you just sort of enjoy it as you go along. Considering there isn't any multiplayer, and so people can't join up and do funny stuff together, what is there really to mention?

That said, anybody posting tactics on how to get the ultra and extreme violence combos... :D thank you!!

And I think I've already said I love the game... what else is there to say?

Also, I don't want to become a broken record of bitching about not having the soundtrack available in the US.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Beat the game last night. Game clock was at 4 hours though I replayed a couple levels and I don't think it counts that? It's a very packed 4 hours though, it doesn't contain any filler. I really didn't have too much trouble with the difficulty ramping up at the end like everybody said it did. The only level I thought was even remotely difficult was the last one, I had to retry that one only once though.

First off, the game wasn't the orgasm inducing experience I was hoping it to be, but admittedly I put it on a pretty high bar. Still a very good game though. The commentary was hilarious (and unexpectedly DIRTY like a motherfucker), chaining combos was fun, and the structure is very original. The game really is like nothing you've ever played before. It's really not an action game, or even a deep beat 'em like God Hand. All the controls are basically custom tailored for letting you execute enemies in the craziest ways possible. It's not really worse, or even what you would necessarily called simplified, but certainly different.

I was sorta hoping that PG would have put a bit more emphasis on the bosses. In No More Heroes, you really get to know those characters and they have very unique designs. They're a good deal more difficult in NMH too, some of the MadWorld bosses were just too easy.

All that said, I'm definitely going through again on hard and flex my skills a bit. If anything the game was a bit too easy so hopefully playing on hard will give me the challenge I crave. I've also got some friends coming over on Thursday and we're gonna play the shit out of the multiplayer.

Gryphter said:
so... howd you get it? :D

He got it for hosting the "magazine ads" thread. PG sent shirts to Anihawk and almost everybody who made a MadWorld "ad".

schlew

John Harker said:
Yea that's what I meant (also Travis's obsession with wrestlers), but there are a lot more similarities than just that. That to me was the "final" connection and one of the more brazen ones :)

I made some vague mentions of connections between the two before in this thread. I just thought all those little touches were fun.

But were such good games, though personally I'd give the edge to NMH

I'm pulling this quote out of it's grave, but I wanted to wait until I beat the game.

Anyways, I searched the thread as best I could, but what are the other NMH references you noticed?

The only thing that I noticed was (and it's a huge stretch) is the Hunky Punks gang from the first area (as mentioned on the PGTV podvast), shares a name similar to the Handsomemen from Killer7. Huge stretch.

Gryphter said:
This thread's pace makes me sad. The Valkyria Chronicles thread moved faster than this, and still gets posts. I'm hoping things ramp up once the rest of the world gets MW.

Blame the Wii for being a kids console. That's not a knock in anyway either, it's just that not everyone on this forum buy's their own systems and aren't even 18 (or is it 17 for an M rated game?) There are people in this very thread talking about how they can't get it because of their parents or the store not selling it to them. Thems the breaks. It's really a shame since the game is so damn good.

AniHawk

ZealousD said:
He got it for hosting the "magazine ads" thread. PG sent shirts to Anihawk and almost everybody who made a MadWorld "ad".

Actually, the 9 makers of the director's top ten favorites got one, and so did I (since Android18a made it to the top ten twice).

Gryphter said:
goddammit. I needs me some MW swag.

Apparently there were only about 10 of these shirts. So it's more like, stuff almost no one gets (or sanog).

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ugh the castle annoys me. Those reapers kill me instantly and the shamans QTE thing gives you no time to react. Then I died on that fight, restarted, got killed twice by reapers and my game straight up froze. The first levels were awesome, this one sucks ass. :(

dkeane

NameGenerated said:
Ugh the castle annoys me. Those reapers kill me instantly and the shamans QTE thing gives you no time to react. Then I died on that fight, restarted, got killed twice by reapers and my game straight up froze. The first levels were awesome, this one sucks ass. :(
Try using the big trees for the reapers. They're really powerful.

markatisu

NameGenerated said:

You will get through it eventually, the 1st level of the Castle is one of the hardest levels.

It took me 4 tries to finally get past that and now I am stuck in the dungeon

Dascu

The Castle areas are indeed the most annoying in the game:
1) Zombies that are trickier to kill than regular grunts.
2) Insta-kill Reapers if you're not careful.
3) Big Long Drillers that do lots of damage and take ages to kill.
4) The guys with the scissors can be quite a pain in the ass.
5) Bosses have some long QTE's. I personally had no problems with them (only missed once on the Shamans), but if you do happen to miss, you take a lot of damage.

markatisu

NameGenerated said:
They just pop out of the ground, when I have like no time to react to the waggle they slice my head off. It's super lame.

As soon as you see them or hear them just take out your chainsaw and start doing sideways chops. As long as you are not being held by a zombie the chainsaw will usually either send the reapers back for a little bit because you hit them or you will be able to stun them and then kill them
4) The guys with the scissors can be quite a pain in the ass.

As long as you punch them first they are never an issue, 1 punch stuns them retarded and then you can either grab and headbut them while moving to a kill or just chop them in half

Gryphter said:
sarcasm? what difficulty are you on? he gains so much freaking life back on hard, its ridiculous!
Nope, I really do! I hated him when he shocked the shit out of me in the water, but after that i loved again :lol

Oh yeah, still on normal. Im gonna probably beat it either today or tomorrow, then get slaughtered on real gamer mode(hard mode).

Mkliner

Gryphter said:
sarcasm? what difficulty are you on? he gains so much freaking life back on hard, its ridiculous!

Everything on hard is rediculous. I tried it today and I couldn't get past the tutorial.

I finally beat him on hard, took me like 4x on him, and I think 6x playing through his stage. holy shit

the trick is to dodge his attack, then hit him once and ONLY ONCE with a chainsaw attack. repeat. I also could recognize his attack that would result in a power struggle and used it to my advantage

NameGenerated said:

Totally, can't seem to beat it yet. This castle is like a wall.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hmm well I went back and did the castle 1st stage and raped it. I guess I was just being to careless with the waggle QTEs. Just had to be more patient.

I really am enjoying the game, but i must say...it is nothing like viewtiful joe. Im enjoying it for a completely different reason than viewtiful joe, or something like dmc/ng. The person who said that was way off, at least from my standpoint. Aside from the two being very artistic and comical, i cant think of one thing that connects the two, especially mechanically.

markatisu

NameGenerated said:
Hmm well I went back and did the castle 1st stage and raped it. I guess I was just being to careless with the waggle QTEs. Just had to be more patient.

If you figure out a way to rape the dungeon let me know

MiniDitka

goldenticket said:
i dont know the name.
i beat lojack. now in a place with robots and aliens. the fighter is ranked #5 and im #11
That happened to me on that level as well(ran out of time and couldn't find the boss). I think I have video of it and if so do you want me to put it up?

Edit:I think its the same place where you take the BLOODBATH challange

schlew

goldenticket said:
i dont know the name.
i beat lojack. now in a place with robots and aliens. the fighter is ranked #5 and im #11

This walkthrough treated me nicely in my time of need.

As for what you're looking for...

BOSS - The Masters

1. The main thing that The Masters like to do is send one of them dashing towards you for a multi-hit energy sword combo. Thankfully, this can be easily avoid by simply keeping your distance from them and dodging when they get close. While they're still slicing away at air, hit them with a couple of chainsaw slashes.
2. When they both point their hands towards the sides, they're going to use their telekinesis to grab two barrels and then throw them at you. The barrels can be dodged, but a better plan is simply to rush them while they're holding the barrels and then perform a jumping chainsaw slash to them while they're concentrating.
3. The attack you want to look out for is when they both point their energy swords at you and then dash forward together. This is when you'll get the opportunity to initiate a power struggle.
4. At the end of the power struggle, choose one of The Masters and hit them with as many chainsaw slashes as you can before they retreat.
5. There will likely be a time where the action will be interrupted by a small cutscene involving The Masters throwing a truck at you. Perform the remote or nunchuck gesture shown to cut the truck in half and avoid taking some massive damage.
6. Don't be overly aggressive in this fight. Let them come to you and then punish them when you avoid their attack. Always be on the look out for the power struggle and you should be able to bring down The Masters with relative ease.
7. Once you're able to finish them off, you'll obtain their rank of 5.

Pulled from that walkthrough, so thanks to Mahalo.

MiniDitka said:
That happened to me on that level as well(ran out of time and couldn't find the boss). I think I have video of it and if so do you want me to put it up?

Edit:I think its the same place where you take the BLOODBATH challange

i could never find the bloodbath challenge so i racked up enough points with out it. ok let me describe where i am
i took two elevators up. its a smallish round room that has a spaceship in the middle. if i check the map it says the boss is on this level and it is on the other side of a wall but i cant get through the wall. is there another way to get to the bloodbath challenge/boss fight area

MiniDitka

goldenticket said:
i could never find the bloodbath challenge so i racked up enough points with out it. ok let me describe where i am
i took two elevators up. its a smallish round room that has a spaceship in the middle. if i check the map it says the boss is on this level and it is on the other side of a wall but i cant get through the wall. is there another way to get to the bloodbath challenge/boss fight area

I think it might be here. Ride that sucker up two floors and I think that will take you to the boss fight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJdO3e5lLCA
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/MiniDitka/MadWorld/uvs090318-002-1.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
:D

30bitqt.jpg

Dascu

Started my New Game+ replay on Normal (for now). Didn't manage to get Bull Crocker on the train tracks for the challenge (any tips?), and for the challenge of the second stage, that damn Crocker ran into an explosive barrel and killed himself. Boo!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I've been sharing my time with this, RE5 and SF4 so now I'm concentrating back on Madworld. How in the hell do you do the top 3 most violent ways to kill? I got a super once by accident on the China Town stage but it has to be possible to get those kinds of kills of ever stage. This game needs a video demonstration badly.

Dascu

Shaheed79 said:
I've been sharing my time with this, RE5 and SF4 so now I'm concentrating back on Madworld. How in the hell do you do the top 3 most violent ways to kill? I got a super once by accident on the China Town stage but it has to be possible to get those kinds of kills of ever stage. This game needs a video demonstration badly.
Supers aren't that hard to get. Line up three or so guys with a signpost, tire etc. in front of an enviromental kill (dumpsters are pretty useful for this) and smack all of them in at the same time.

I got my first super in the second stage, by constricting two guys with a tire each, a signpost through the head each, lining them up near the water and smacking them with the baseball bat for a homerun.

Top Bottom