• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Punch-Out!! Thread of Reliving Our Childhoods

2nrfur9.png

n6s7ip.png

___________________________________________________________________________________

THE CHARACTERS!
___________________________________________________________________________________

a1nxjn.jpg

1ekwaa.gif

qsje6f.gif

THE FIGHTER ROSTER

Wii Will Rock U said:
Here's the roster:

Circuit 1:

- Glass Joe
- Von Kaiser
- Disco Kid
- King Hippo

Circuit 2:

- Piston Hondo
- Bear Hugger
- Great Tiger
- Don Flamenco

Circuit 3:

- Aran Ryan
- Soda Popinski
- Bald Bull
- Super Macho Man
- Mr. Sandman

Last Stand:

- Donkey Kong

25suzyx.png

VIDEOS

316vtjr.png
The Debut Trailer

316vtjr.png
Nintendo Channel Punch-Out! Wii Exclusive Trailer

316vtjr.png
The GDC Punch-Out!! Trailer

316vtjr.png
Morgan Webb Debuts Punch-Out!! to Jimmy Fallon, Ice T and Elmo

REVIEWS

316vtjr.png
Game Informer - 9.0

316vtjr.png
1up - A+

316vtjr.png
IGN - 8.8

316vtjr.png
Gametrailers - 8.5

316vtjr.png
Giant Bomb - 5/5

316vtjr.png
G4 (X-Play) - 4/5

316vtjr.png
Kotaku - "Amazing Success"

316vtjr.png
GamingVice - "BUY"

SCREENS!

punch-out-20090423010225448.jpg

punch-out-20081002025206294.jpg

punch-out-20081002025152951.jpg

punch-out-20090422111903500.jpg

316vtjr.png
Images courtesy of IGN!

DOC'S HISTORY LESSON

9qd4l1.jpg

24gvjhc.jpg

DOC SEZ: Did you know the Simpsons did Punch-Out!!? Yep, they sure did:

102tlrt.jpg

316vtjr.png
In the episode, Moaning Lisa, there's actually a tribute to the NES and Arcade Punch-Out!! Games. Hopefully they'll do a tribute of the Wii one so we can outsell crap like Imagine Babyz Party! Give 'em your uppercut, Mac!

DOC SEZ: Did you know a group of gamers made a live-action trailer for a Punch-Out!! film?

Here's the link!

316vtjr.png
This was Team Awesome's entry in the Nintendo Short Cuts Showcase Contest back in 2007! Their mission was to stay true to the Punch-Out game characters while molding them to fit our modern day story! Our mission is to kick Sandman's behind! Keep your head up, Mac!

2ex79qf.png

Every once and a while, a game comes along that defines a generation and rarely, if ever, can a game transcend time and become a classic for people of all ages. Some will play this Punch-Out!! because they remember the old arcade game; some because they remember beating up Mike Tyson on the NES. And, for some, this will be the first time they ever play a Punch-Out!! game and Next Level Games has taken that into consideration when making this iteration. However, no matter the age, the name of the game is fun and whether or not you get a kick out of the controls, the outstanding art style, the music, or the overtly racist and all too lovable cast, there is something for you in Punch-Out!! for Wii. So, put on your boxing gloves, throw a couple practice punches, and prepare for the greatest boxing game of this generation. It's here and it's only on Wii.

316vtjr.png
Link to the Official Site

316vtjr.png
Major, major props to KilgoreTrout for the awesome banners and SpacePirate Ridley for the awesome trivia section! Couldn't have done it without you guys!

2gxmtq9.gif

bfc97f67116302fb0ad513c4dc385221.gif

JOIN CLUB NINTENDO TODAY, MAC!

-PXG-

Nice OP. I can't wait for this :D My VGA converter came just in time too. No need for that shitty old HDMI converter box.

Johnas

I never did play Super, but I played the heck out of a friend's copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and finished it multiple times.

This is a disc-based game right? Just to be sure.

jawsome op!
That said, this game is going to own so much, nintendo cant do any wrong(until they make zelda multiplayer).
Johnas said:
I never did play Super, but I played the heck out of a friend's copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and finished it multiple times.

This is a disc-based game right? Just to be sure.
Yep, retail release.

Chairhome

Awesome OP! Just wanted to add that in the latest issue of Nintendo Power, it shows Piston Honda and Great Tiger (doing his new teleport move!)

KilgoreTrout said:
Nice job on the OP, Wii Will Rock U and SpacePirate Ridley.

I'm just wondering WTF happened to my original banner... Haha. The new one is crazy looking.

Oh, and I made this...
:lol at the hug it out thing.

The banner Ridley just tweaked a little and made it fit more with the other banners.

Your work still rocks though Kilgore. Couldn't have done it without you.

Also, it's great to know that Tiger and Piston have both been confirmed!

kassatsu

Banned
I dunno if it is just me but that banner image breaks the table. Can you make it small so there is no horizontal scroll bar?

1280x1024 is my res.

Sweet OP. First Punch Out game for me. Was never interested in the past games but now I'm thinking I might get them on the VC.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Great OP but aren't official threads only supposed to go up one week before release?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Spoilers on the character rosters:
Minor Circuit: Glass Joe, Von Kaiser, Disco Kid, King Hippo (in that order)
Major Circuit: Bear Hugger, Piston Honda, Don Flamenco, Great Tiger (not necessarily in that order)

Assumptions on my part for the characters in the 3rd circuit:
Soda Popinski, Bald Bull, Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man, DOC LEWIS (World Champion), in that order! :p

Captain N

Wii Will Rock U said:
I didn't know that was a rule, :lol

Well whatever, it's fine.

Don't worry! It's two weeks ahead of the game and the Nintendo World Store will be getting it today. So right now you're good to go!

I've been waiting for a new Punch-Out!!! game for years!!!! 15 to be exact! I never understood why Nintendo didn't bring it out on the GBA with all of the other old NES titles they brough out and it wasn't on the E-Reader either.. I was sooo excited the day it was announced! Punch-Out!!! has been played in my house AT LEAST once a month since the day I got it as a Christmas gift way back in the day.

My wife is getting me all of the Amazon goodies for my birthday this month..that has got me pretty excited.

Captain N said:
Don't worry! It's two weeks ahead of the game and the Nintendo World Store will be getting it today. So right now you're good to go!

I thought it was two weeks too, but then I read the FAQ again... It's one, but who really gives a damn.

I remember seeing some mod saying it was two weeks though.

Captain N

KilgoreTrout said:
I thought it was two weeks too, but then I read the FAQ again... It's one, but who really gives a damn.

I remember seeing some mod saying it was two weeks though.

Yeah, they probably just don't want an official topic three months ahead of the games release date.

Marvie_3

Banned
Punch-Out!! is gonna kick so much ass. I wish it was out this week so it could be played during my weekend after-finals celebration. :lol

I've been waiting for a new Punch-Out!! for nearly 15 years and high expectations for what I wanted to see in a new game. This game is exactly what I wanted and is probably my most highly anticipated game of 2009 thus far.

Top Bottom