• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition Thread!

kint88 said:
The game is great, but I still wish they put the ability to strafe in there..
If they did that they'd have to adjust the enemies AI to be able to follow you in a strafe. They made just about every gun more useful by allowing the Wiimote to aim, but they gimped everything with a scope by making the player revert to GC style aiming every time it was used. I'm am absolutely certain they could have done a much better job with that. I also think that being able to reposition the screen while aiming by pointing at the edge of the screen would have felt much more natural than using the analog stick.

mrkgoo

laserbeam said:
first time ive ever played it and so far am greatly impressed.

I am at the
chainsaw pit
just gotta say wow they are evil.

Making for interesting conversation piece too. Grandparents are absolutely in love with the wii and wiisports etc and RE4 has my grandfathers interest peaked a bit hes watching getting into the storyline etc.

Pretty funny getting laughed at by someone in their 70s cause a chainsaw removed my head in the game.

OMG, Nintendo was right!

ok, wtf am I doing wrong. I'm shooting them in the ****ing head and only get "head shots" (assuming this means exploding heads) maybe once a clip with the pistol. Is this right? Shotgun might be 1-3 times per reload. Of course rifle is 100%. Just wondering. Oh, controls are amazing. It's really gonna suck to go back to dual analog with RE5. :(

Hopefully companies take note of RE4, Godfather, and Scarface and keep releasing awesome third person action goodness. Graphics aside the system seems like it should be the de facto standard for this sort of game.

Funny how third person games are turning out awesome for the remote.

borghe said:
ok, wtf am I doing wrong. I'm shooting them in the ****ing head and only get "head shots" (assuming this means exploding heads) maybe once a clip with the pistol. Is this right? Shotgun might be 1-3 times per reload. Of course rifle is 100%. Just wondering. Oh, controls are amazing. It's really gonna suck to go back to dual analog with RE5. :(
There's a sort of randomness factor on the exploding heads thing. Like 5% chance per point of damage or something silly like that. I think the percentage goes up on Ganados with fully grown parasites, at which point the parasites just pop out. If you notice, the starter handgun's exclusive multiplies the headshots average by 5.

borghe said:

Hopefully companies take note of RE4, Godfather, and Scarface and keep releasing awesome third person action goodness. Graphics aside the system seems like it should be the de facto standard for this sort of game.

captions197.jpg

I don't have that problem, wether I play with the wiimote or a classic pad

Christopher

I let my friend play a new file and like in 2 seconds he wrote over my file...

...bitch.

I love the game though, gamecube game, but still the games/controls rock.

Jammy

Banned
Christopher said:
I let my friend play a new file and like in 2 seconds he wrote over my file...

...bitch.

I love the game though, gamecube game, but still the games/controls rock.

:lol That happened to me a couple times when I was younger... most notably to my 120 star outing in Super Mario 64 and my completed Yoshi's Island game. :/ It's a bitch.

borghe said:

The headshot doesn't mean that the head explodes. If you have a pistol and get a headshot normally it will stun them and then you can kick them, unless they are very low on health where it would make their head explode. Shotguns it also depends on damage, if you shoot from fra away its probably not going to blow their head off, they need to be close to do it. The rifle always works cause one shot in the head is enough to kill them.

So I finished the game today. And I have to say that it was way easier than it should have been. Especially all the context sensitive stuff.

I was never a huge fan of the game and still believe that it was grossly over rated but I will say that if you own a Wii, you must buy this game.

bmf said:
If they did that they'd have to adjust the enemies AI to be able to follow you in a strafe. They made just about every gun more useful by allowing the Wiimote to aim, but they gimped everything with a scope by making the player revert to GC style aiming every time it was used. I'm am absolutely certain they could have done a much better job with that. I also think that being able to reposition the screen while aiming by pointing at the edge of the screen would have felt much more natural than using the analog stick.

lol I didn't even notice I was using the analog stick until you said that...and I'm in the castle area, a testament to how great these Wii thrid person shooter controls are

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
cvxfreak said:
*sees avatar*

I didn't care much for Ada until Separate Ways, where she proved her awesomeness. :D

My avatar took way more time to make than it should have :lol

I'm a big Ada fan, I've loved her since RE2. The fact they made her look so awesome and MOVE so awesomely in RE4 was fanservice for me...plus, the way she
tosses Leon the rocket launcher
made me very happy. I know Mikami is looking out for Ada fans, where ever he is. :D

I still want to know how she survived her little fall in RE2, though I'm sure there are more than enough theories.

Y2Kev

cvxfreak said:
Youtube: Wesker's Report :)

I never played CVX...just CV. RE has a history of adding extra essential content in rereleases. Let me check that out now. It might have been in the original release and I missed it.

edit: Holy shit, I forgot how bad the live action RE opening is :lol :lol

JOSEFFFFFF

Christopher

Y2Kev said:
I never played CVX...just CV. RE has a history of adding extra essential content in rereleases. Let me check that out now. It might have been in the original release and I missed it.

Wesker brougt her back as he saw usefullness in her...sounds really phoned in, espcially since Ada took a drop like that. Personally, I think it would have been a bit more believable had she survived the Mr. X incident.

Ada....ADA!!

cvxfreak

Christopher said:
Wesker brougt her back as he saw usefullness in her...sounds really phoned in, espcially since Ada took a drop like that. Personally, I think it would have been a bit more believable had she survived the Mr. X incident.

Ada....ADA!!

Dude, we all know Ada's good with hookshots and all. :lol

Y2Kev

Well, after seeing Leon hookshot his way to safety after he falls in
Salazar's
trap, is it really too much of a stretch to think maybe Ada did the same? It's much better than the old theory, which is, "SHE INJECTED HERSELF WITH THE G-VIRUS WHILE ON THE WAY DOWN."

I know you see her again (after the fall) in the B-scenario...did she look all sickly and injured then? I can't remember.

And thanks for the cutscenes, cvx.

Y2Kev

Christopher said:
well she was fatally injur....

hell it's resident evil, for all we could know Ada has wings...

Where does it say she was fatally injured? She got shot once, but that's never fatal in RE.

If Wesker's report is true and he did save her that to me sounds like he injected her with the T-virus. Unless Wesker is a paramedic and fixed her up after the fall, which is ridiculous (but it is RE), thats the only explination when he says he saved her life. Even then that doesn't make much sense with the ending where Ada shows up to give Leon the rocket, she falls, Wesker is waiting with the T-virus to revive her and then she quickly gets up, finds a rocket and gets it to Leon...

Or maybe I am just thinking to much about all this.

Y2Kev

MiamiWesker said:
If Wesker's report is true and he did save her that to me sounds like he injected her with the T-virus. Unless Wesker is a paramedic and fixed her up after the fall, which is ridiculous (but it is RE), thats the only explination when he says he saved her life. Even then that doesn't make much sense with the ending where Ada shows up to give Leon the rocket, she falls, Wesker is waiting with the T-virus to revive her and then she quickly gets up, finds a rocket and gets it to Leon...

She doesn't seem to have any superhuman powers though, and...she couldn't have died from the fall unless Wesker's people were WAITING THERE to save her.

Y2Kev said:
She doesn't seem to have any superhuman powers though, and...she couldn't have died from the fall unless Wesker's people were WAITING THERE to save her.

Yeah I know, she seems totally human. The thing is in Wesker's Report he says specifically "that affection of hers drove her to her death." He is saying she was dead. Then he says she was still of use to her so he saved her life, that to me sounds like bringing back someone from the dead.

Also her epilogue was a bit weird from the stance where she said "I am not Ada anymore" maybe like she doesn't feel human anymore.

I dont know, thats the way I saw it.

It has nothing to do with RE4 but i dont feel like making a new thread. The actress Tera Platt claims to be doing the voice of Jill in a RE game but the way its written on her site makes no sense, just read it your self.

http://www.taraplatt.com/wst_page3.html

BIOHAZARD & RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - Tara plays Jill Valentine in a Japanese-only release title called Biohazard. In the upcoming RE: UC, Tara plays Red Queen.

Huh??? Japanese-only Biohazard. Red Queen in UC, as in the stupid computer from the movies?

EDIT: The Biohazard Japan-only thing was explained by her to me in an e-mail, I had just forgotten about it. When she did the job the title only said Biohazard on it, so she was not sure what game she was working on, she thought since it was a Japanese company that it would only come out in Japan. However this Red Queen thing is totally new.

ThomPayne

Finally got around to Gamestop and pick this up. It was a bit awkward at first, adjusting to the new controls, but I really like it. I'm only about an hour in so far so I haven't been able to tell any real big different in difficulty level/items yet, but it does make the game a lot easier once you get used to the controls.

CreatureX3 said:
Went to Best Buy (West Covina, CA) today and RE:Wii was sold out!

I think Capcom will easily reach their aim of 400k worldwide. They've already got about 50k in Japan and that should gradually rise to 100k, and this looks to at least be selling 300k in USA, and it'll do well in Europe too.

What numbers to people think it will eventually reach?

Mine guesses:

JAP: 100k
USA: 300k
OTHER: 200k
WW: 600k

Probably completely wrong but what are your estimates?

laserbeam

Banned
Alkaliine said:
I think Capcom will easily reach their aim of 400k worldwide. They've already got about 50k in Japan and that should gradually rise to 100k, and this looks to at least be selling 300k in USA, and it'll do well in Europe too.

Mine guesses:

I could see

JAP: 100,000 - 150,000
USA: 400,000-600,000
OTHER: 200,000-250,000
WW: 700,00 - 1,000,000

I could honestly see it hitting Million units sold if it has any sort of legs in a few areas. sales dont have to be phenomonal the entire time but slow and steady could do it over time. Sales calling around and even from people reporting on here seem to indicate the games sold like wildfire with plenty caught unprepared and trying to find copies.

Alot of People know how good the game was and recognize its a rare pedigree at the moment in a sea of minigames. Its well worth the investment and is a hell of a game.

cvxfreak

MiamiWesker said:

It can't be the T-virus, otherwise she'd become a zombie or another BOW.

funny thing that I don't recall seeing mentioned here

people here have mentioned that the wii version featured more ennemies, which I noticed myself yesterday when I got to the room at the beginning of the castle area where you have to switch the platinum and gold swords.
My brother just got there playing with the NGC pad only, and he didn't get 3 waves of ennemies, just one.

That's funny

lx4

I really hope this game sells well. Maybe then Capcom will see that there is a market for the more hardcore kind of games on Wii and put out a "real" Resident Evil game. Umbrella Chronicles seems fun and all but I would like to see something done with the RE4 engine.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ugh. I might bite and get this game again.

MiamiWesker said:
EDIT: The Biohazard Japan-only thing was explained by her to me in an e-mail, I had just forgotten about it. When she did the job the title only said Biohazard on it, so she was not sure what game she was working on, she thought since it was a Japanese company that it would only come out in Japan. However this Red Queen thing is totally new.

Yea, I've never heard anything about that. I wonder what is going on there. o_O

Oh, as for Ada. Maybe he gave her a toned down version of the virus he has. I dunno. She has the ridiculously strong kick, that has the waves and stuff flowing from it. And, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't she jumping all over the place towards the end of RE4? Like, where Leon had the knife fight?

Y2Kev

cvxfreak said:
It can't be the T-virus, otherwise she'd become a zombie or another BOW.

But didn't Wesker use the T-Virus on himself? That was the only virus in existence at the time, and he said he injected it into himself right before the Tyrant attacked him. I think the time is an issue, but it had to be a T-Virus. He still appears completely human at first glance, but you can't see his eyes.

By contrast, the G-Virus immediately turns Birkin into a monster.

Then you have the T-Veronica/T-Alexia virus and the Plagas as the other big viruses in the series, but I don't think they are too relevant here.

I think it's pretty clear she survived the fall through normal means; any other theory involves almost unbelievable time constraints and some loss of her humanity. Consider in RE4 when
Ada gets attacked by Leon right before the final scene
and she has to use the knife to bail herself out. If she was Weskeresque, she woulda just slapped him and thrown him halfway across the room.

Her kick, I thought, was just exaggerated for cinematic effect. Like Snake in The Twin Snakes. That scene you're thinking of, OSG, is just her jumping onto the platform and then she jumps directly off it after blowing Leon off again. It's nothing really too dramatic considering how Leon JUMPS OUT OF SECOND FLOOR WINDOWS with no real problem.

Christopher

Y2Kev said:
But didn't Wesker use the T-Virus on himself? That was the only virus in existence at the time, and he said he injected it into himself right before the Tyrant attacked him. I think the time is an issue, but it had to be a T-Virus. He still appears completely human at first glance, but you can't see his eyes.

By contrast, the G-Virus immediately turns Birkin into a monster.

Then you have the T-Veronica/T-Alexia virus and the Plagas as the other big viruses in the series, but I don't think they are too relevant here.

I think it's pretty clear she survived the fall through normal means; any other theory involves almost unbelievable time constraints and some loss of her humanity. Consider in RE4 when
and she has to use the knife to bail herself out. If she was Weskeresque, she woulda just slapped him and thrown him halfway across the room.

Her kick, I thought, was just exaggerated for cinematic effect. Like Snake in The Twin Snakes. That scene you're thinking of, OSG, is just her jumping onto the platform and then she jumps directly off it after blowing Leon off again. It's nothing really too dramatic considering how Leon JUMPS OUT OF SECOND FLOOR WINDOWS with no real problem.

The G Virus did exist at the time. As Birkin mentions something about it in RE0, and the time from RE1-2 is so short regardless. Also, I don't know - Birkin didn't just inject a part of the sample into him, he did the whole thing as well as ate 7-8 viles of the shit.

Y2Kev

The time doesn't make sense to me. We know RE1 is in July and RE2 is in late September...maybe the virus wasn't done yet? After all, I assume Umbrella's salvage teams went after the virus at the earliest possible opportunity, and not, say, two months after it was usable.

I can't actually remember RE0 as I have tried to block that out of my memory.

Still, considering how Ada helps Leon minutes after her fall, Wesker's people would have to be there to save her almost instantly. I think it's more likely to assume she fell on a stack of pillows than she injected herself with the sample/someone injected her with the sample.

She just doesn't demonstrate ANY qualities of that. It's possible that during RE4 Chapters 2-5 in Separate Ways she had the Plaga (and subsequently removed it) because of some of her abilities, but it still isn't totally necessitated by the story. Krauser, though, looked perfectly normal until his little wing burst out.

Jammy

Banned
Alkaliine said:

Mine guesses:

That's pretty much what I see it doing, too. It has actually sold ~70,000 in Japan so far, and I'm pretty sure it's doing well in the U.S. also. Anecdotal evidence has been good for the game, not to mention its pretty much tops in every online top-sellers chart (Amazon, EBgames, etc.)

I see it doing 500,000-600,000. Capcom could always drop the price to $20 to tack on some additional sales, too.

Y2Kev said:
The time doesn't make sense to me. We know RE1 is in July and RE2 is in late September...maybe the virus wasn't done yet? After all, I assume Umbrella's salvage teams went after the virus at the earliest possible opportunity, and not, say, two months after it was usable.

I can't actually remember RE0 as I have tried to block that out of my memory.

Still, considering how Ada helps Leon minutes after her fall, Wesker's people would have to be there to save her almost instantly. I think it's more likely to assume she fell on a stack of pillows than she injected herself with the sample/someone injected her with the sample.

She just doesn't demonstrate ANY qualities of that. It's possible that during RE4 Chapters 2-5 in Separate Ways she had the Plaga (and subsequently removed it) because of some of her abilities, but it still isn't totally necessitated by the story. Krauser, though, looked perfectly normal until his little wing burst out.

I completely agree, she had to survive the fall on her own, its the only option that makes sense. Before RE4, I had assumed Ada was now like Wesker, thats how I understood it when reading about it in Wesker's Report. But in RE4 she clearly doesn't have super powers, so that cant be the case, both Wesker and Krauser constantly show off their powers in Mercenaries, she clearly had none.

I would say Ada survived the fall, and Wesker was around to aid her escape the lab before it went boom. Wesker probably nursed her back to health.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Y2Kev said:

Wesker had a virus made for him by Birkin, I thought. Not the T-virus or progenitor, or whatever. I could be mistaking though. I haven't seen or read any of the wesker reports, in years. His virus gave him matrix powers after his death, and didn't turn him zombie/tyrant like, like all of the other people.

Maybe, who knows. I don't really think hurting him would have been the best idea though. When Claire got hit by Wesker, she didn't shake it right off, IIRC.

Yea. lol

I don't know. Maybe she did survive through normal means. That whole situation was odd to begin with. Maybe Capcom will clear this up in RE5.

I got into the extras this weekend. And I'm annoyed. I was led to believe that they re-made Separate Ways using the Gamecube assets, and that is simply not true. It does look like they've touched it up, but it's not up to par with the main game. I may do a more in-depth comparison later.

Some of you may remember my Gamecube vs. PS2 comparison here:

http://www.gameswelike.com/web/re/RE%20Comp.htm

For now, these two captures that I did this morning make my point, I think. They're still using the crappy low-poly models for the herbs, among other things.

SWWiiplant.jpg

RE4WiiPlant.jpg

Oldschoolgamer said:
Wesker had a virus made for him by Birkin, I thought. Not the T-virus or progenitor, or whatever. I could be mistaking though. I haven't seen or read any of the wesker reports, in years. His virus gave him matrix powers after his death, and didn't turn him zombie/tyrant like, like all of the other people.

You are correct, it was some special virus Birkin made for him, but I guess its assumed to be a form of the T-virus, maybe G-virus. We could call it the Wesker Virus but that sounds weird. Its never been explained really, and now we know Wesker can duplicate it as he did the same thing to Krauser.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow...first time playing, just beat El Gigante.

All I can say is wow. So intense :lol :lol

Top Bottom