• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Spore Thread

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
No Means Nomad said:
Why do I want to though? Does it really even make a difference?

Did you just ask him why you should want to? You're either asking the wrong person or asking the wrong question. He can't answer for you.

R0nn

HarryHengst said:
You shouldnt bother with this game, you clearly have no idea what the point of it is.

Exactly! It's clear to me that many people here approach the game completely wrong and have totally different expectations from it than was ever promised to begin with. No wonder you hear many negative comments. This game is first and foremost about creation. Creating your own world and sharing it with others. It was also very clear beforehand that this game would consist of completely different gameplay styles. No wonder it doesn't feel contiguous. It isn't exactly supposed to be.

This is no hardcore evolution sim, strategy game, or tycoon. It's all about creation, exploration, socalizing and simple fun. No more, no less.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DrBo42 said:
Andddddddddddddd BANNED. :lol

Apparently you can pirate the game now, and buy the game from the EA store and play it immediately. You still gotta pay for it, but you can get it early, so I hear.

MMaRsu

Banned
Heh I'm curious if this will run on my old pc...

Might buy it if it runs okay, the creature creator worked pretty good btw..

Pentium 4 1.5ghz
1gb ram
6600GT

Nocebo

No Means Nomad said:
Why do I want to though? Does it really even make a difference?
Yes it does make a difference to your play experience. You're personalizing the game and creating an investment and attachment to your characters and other things. This makes a huge impact on gameplay to people who are into that. Plenty of people like costomizing things.

Zenith

Banned
Orellio said:
But it is.

I'm not pirating it though.

I meant it's not really ":D"

sweet, as a paying customer i can expect to not have to deal with a 3 install limit with no token refunds on uninstalls now right securom?.....right?

yeah, but no online either.

TwiztidElf

I got the Galactic Edition, and I'm glad I did.

Cell Stage is fairly simple, which I expected, and I ripped through it in about an hour or so. Looks and sounds awesome, but is fairly limited gameplay wise, but you are a single celled organism I guess. I think this is meant to be an intro or prelude to the game though really rather than a major gameplay area.

Just finished up on my first session now, nearing the end of Creature Stage, and this game is so freakin awesome. I'm not going to spoiler anything, but wow, there are some really cool surprises, and the game is starting to really open up with options now.

I am playing it on normal difficulty, and it definitely is not a pushover, having died several times. Creature stage is just so much damn fun to play. Deciding whether to befriend or attack neighboring creatures is fun and enjoyable. I don't think you can get by on pure aggression either.

This game is not COD4.

ThatGuy

Today a complete revamped Spore Site will go online in preparation of the launch tomorrow in EU, expect also the Spore CC Mac Patch and maybe a day one patch for the Spore retail version.

Having reached the space-part now, i have to say that Spore as it is now is mostly a game with a lot of potential. It is pretty fun, but you can see that it hasn't reached its full potential. It's like the sims 2 without expansions at the moment. It's fun, but it could definitely use some more things to do.

Sharp

HarryHengst said:
Having reached the space-part now, i have to say that Spore as it is now is mostly a game with a lot of potential. It is pretty fun, but you can see that it hasn't reached its full potential. It's like the sims 2 without expansions at the moment. It's fun, but it could definitely use some more things to do.
Have no fear, if there's one thing you can rely on EA for it's expansions :lol

Amarox

Teknoman said:
The tribal section plays like an RTS.
So does the Civilization stage.

I'm surprised how short the stages are. I just reached the Space Stage after only about 4 and a half hours.

Kletian

Crap this is coming out next week? Damn where does the time go?

I need to get going and make some more creatures before launch. Kletian on spore for those who want to add me by the way.

Sharp

Amarox said:
So does the Civilization stage.

I'm surprised how short the stages are. I just reached the Space Stage after only about 4 and a half hours.
The first four stages are supposed to be short, especially on the easy and medium difficulty levels. The developers wanted everyone to be able to get to Space.

Poona

Stryder said:
Loving the game so far, I'm about half way through the creature stage.
Finding it pretty hard to charm some of these other species on my home planet!

I'll get there though, it's fairly challenging so far.

Was quite a trick for me to impress a range of the larger creatures in the beginning as well but what helps is when you engage other creatures to be members of your 'pack'. I've currently got three of the 'rogue' creatures (big solitary creatures.. not as big as the epics though!) basically coming around with me acting as my bodyguard (as i'm a herbivore with next to zero fighting skills, but i have worked my way up to get good parts in charm, dance, sing, and pose).

Also putting wings on your creature makes it so much easier and quicker to get to places faster as well. If I'm going a long distance I just click on the mini map where I want him to go and then basically just keep pressing the space bar, which ends up allowing me to fly over water and trees, etc so nothing gets in the way! :)

eXistor

R0nn said:
This is no hardcore evolution sim, strategy game, or tycoon. It's all about creation, exploration, socalizing and simple fun. No more, no less.
Good to hear, I've bought this game just on hype alone, but I really don't like strategy games. From all I've seen and read though, Spore looked to be the exception to the rule. What you just said is exactly what I hoped the game would be. I'll be playing it tonight (if I don't play Ys Book II some more, that shit rocks so hard)

glaurung

Can somebody comment on performance on a new MacBook?

I'd like to use that for playing Spore, but I dread the integrated graphics chip performance.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm waiting for video reviews right now. A month ago, I'd have bought it without hesitation, right now I'm not so sure anymore that it's what I really want to play.

Now is not a time to be a cheapskate!

2z7ebtw.jpg

cmmart

Apparently Newegg has broken the street date for the U.S. and is shipping the game out.

I just read this on the XSpore forum.

eXistor

Aww man, I hate vista. I tried installing the game, everything works fine, but whenever I try to open the game nothing happens! I had the same problem with the Creature Creator (disc version) I downloaded it and the it worked. I'm currently re-installing, but this does not bode well.

Teknoman

eXistor said:
Aww man, I hate vista. I tried installing the game, everything works fine, but whenever I try to open the game nothing happens! I had the same problem with the Creature Creator (disc version) I downloaded it and the it worked. I'm currently re-installing, but this does not bode well.

I dont think Vista is causing the problem. Running vista 64bit here and had no problems with the creator.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Teknoman said:
I dont think Vista is causing the problem. Running vista 64bit here and had no problems with the creator.

I've also got 64-bit Vista, and the Creature Creator runs flawlessly. I wasn't able to install it on my old computer, though, which was a Frankenstein's monster with a crappy video card.

Thomper

Oh! My Car! said:
Now is not a time to be a cheapskate!

2z7ebtw.jpg
Luckily, I was able to be a cheapskate while also buying the Galactic Edition. :D

The local MediaMarkt had the GE for the exact same price as the regular edition, which was already 10 euro's below the regular price here.

I've been having some log-in problems though; the game keeps saying it can't find my log-in/account. Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm surprised how weird some people's expectations for this game have been. It's pretty much been promoted as simple gameplay, endless customization. Seems to be living up to that quite neatly. I'm excited to start building my species history from the start. I'll custom design every last little bit of my civilization until it's a glorious, fucked-up mess.

I just ordered a new monitor (22" Samsung). Hopefully it's here by Sunday. Hopefully the game is here by Sunday. I preordered from GameCrazy, but I've never really dealt with them before. I assume they have it in their back room already and will just start selling it Sunday?

Sharp

Thomper said:
Luckily, I was able to be a cheapskate while also buying the Galactic Edition. :D

The local MediaMarkt had the GE for the exact same price as the regular edition, which was already 10 euro's below the regular price here.

I've been having some log-in problems though; the game keeps saying it can't find my log-in/account. Anyone know how to fix this?
It might be because Sporepedia is down. They are doing some big updates right now, probably to integrate all the non-creature stuff (honestly the editors alone make the game worth its price to me, so I'm happy that soon we''ll be able to see all the crazy vehicles and buildings people can create in the final game).

Edit: Ooh, it's back up. Lots of cool stuff now, Sporecasts and non-creatures and other fun.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So this is for Intel Macs only?

... can't run on my PowerPC Mac Mini??

I hate PC gaming.

why don't you run xp on your mac....there are programs out there which allow you to do as such.... I have a program on my laptop, which runs on vista, allowing me to load up and log off xp when I please....very nice

Teknoman

Sharp said:
It might be because Sporepedia is down. They are doing some big updates right now, probably to integrate all the non-creature stuff (honestly the editors alone make the game worth its price to me, so I'm happy that soon we''ll be able to see all the crazy vehicles and buildings people can create in the final game).

Edit: Ooh, it's back up. Lots of cool stuff now, Sporecasts and non-creatures and other fun.

Thanks for the heads up. Checking it out now.

EDIT: What? Hats?

500012805045_lrg.png

Dont tell me you can custom design clothing and equipment as well (weapons, armor, etc.)

Sharp

I'm really loving some of the new buildings / vehicles on Sporepedia. You should all check it out now, some of them are really impressive.

Sharp

Teknoman said:
Whats a sporecast anyway? The way you subscribe to have that player's creations streamed into your game?
Yup. They're basically groups of content that people can create. I don't know exactly how the filters work though, or if they're just lists.

And yeah, there are clothing editors for tribe, civ, and space. But they're just premade parts you can place on your creature.

Teknoman

Sharp said:
Yup. They're basically groups of content that people can create. I don't know exactly how the filters work though, or if they're just lists.

And yeah, there are clothing editors for tribe, civ, and space. But they're just premade parts you can place on your creature.

Thats fine, what about tribal/Civ/Space handheld weaponry? Are those premade from buildings you set, or can you customize the type of spear/sword/whatever that is produced?

Mamesj

Banned
Just curious how integrated the online aspects of this game are? I have an unreliable internet connection (like I can get patches, but the signal quality literally fluctuates by the minute, so a persistent influx of data would fuck things up.)

Sharp

Teknoman said:
Thats fine, what about tribal/Civ/Space handheld weaponry? Are those premade from buildings you set, or can you customize the type of spear/sword/whatever that is produced?
Premade.
Mamesj said:
Just curious how integrated the online aspects of this game are? I have an unreliable internet connection (like I can get patches, but the signal quality literally fluctuates by the minute, so a persistent influx of data would fuck things up.)
Pretty integrated but that shouldn't affect much, because it's all downloaded asynchronously. And the file sizes of things like creatures are like 20kb. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sharp said:
I'm really loving some of the new buildings / vehicles on Sporepedia. You should all check it out now, some of them are really impressive.

It's taken me forever, but I've finally got it to load a page of buildings (site must be getting hammered...)

Now I'm going to try to buddy everyone in the OP if it'll let me...

EDIT: apparently that's a no go, clicking on the buddies link just sends me to sporepedia's main page.

Kabouter

Man, I'm having so much fun with this game.
The only part for me that I really don't like is navigating the galaxy. Finding (a route to) solar systems is often very annoying, especially early on when your ship has shit range and you thus have to find a good route to get to certain systems. Other than that, loving it.

Edit: oh, and it seems to be locked to 30fps...why?

Mdk7

a quick question for those lucky bastards who are already having fun with evolution...
Is it easy to import the creature you've previously created with the Creature Creator? Cause of course i'd love to play the game with some of my babies...

And what about the other species you encounter on the planet during the Creature phase? Are them just random made or taken from your own creations? Cause it would be rad if you could encounter species you have created before...

Please answer me guys, thanks!

senahorse

Re: system requirements.

I know EA released the specs but is that the minimum or recommended?

I want to know how it would run on my Dell XPS M1330. (2.2Ghz C2D, 4GB, 8400GS 128MB). The CPU and memory will be fine but I am a little unsure about the GPU, any ideas?

Top Bottom