• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official SSX Blur HYPE Thread

The release of SSX Blur has totally snuck up out of nowhere. This game is out on Feb 27th, 2007 in the US, which is two weeks from today! Did anybody else know this game was coming out so soon? Anyway, I'm way excited. IGN has a fairly recent video of somebody actually playing the game, and it looks really fun.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/842/842200/vids_1.html

The controls are highly motion based. Tilting the nunchuk stears you, and you jump by flicking it up. Once in the air, the nunchuk controls your grabs, while the remote controls your spins. To do uber tricks you draw shapes in the air. This sounds hella complicated, but the guy in the video (who's probably from EA) seems to pull it all off fairly easily.

So, is anybody else super excited about this game?

Edit: This game is out in ONE week. I'm retarded.

Thanks to PantherLotus for crafting a much better OP.

ssxblur-banner.jpg

***THE OFFICIAL SSX BLUR THREAD OF PERFECT POWDER***

This game is going to rule. It's basically SSX3 + SSX On Tour + New graphics, effects, characters, music, and levels...and of course an all new (and awesome!) control scheme. Think of how Tricky used some of the original's levels and you get the idea. All the usual characters are back, and with all new tricks, too.

Oh yeah - On top of all the new additions, it's exclusive. You can only get the best snowboarding game on the Wii.

GAME INFO

1235.jpg

Developed by - EA Montreal
Published by - EA SPORTS BIG

Release Dates:
US - February 27 , 2007
JPN - December 31, 2007
EU - March 16, 2007
AUS - March 15, 2007

Genre - Arcade-style Snowboarding
Modes - Single-player, Multiplayer
Price - ($49.99?)

Websites
**Official Website**
IGN
Wiki

PREVIEWS

REVIEWS
coming soon!
EGM -
Famitsu -
IGN -
Gamespot -

GAMEPLAY

On the Snow
? Turn your character - Tilt the nunchuck
? Sharp turn - Analogue Stick
? Jump - up gesture with nunchuck
? Boost - Z
? Tail Press (skiis) - C
? Grabs - Z + nunchuck tilt

In the Air
? Spin - Wiimote swing
? Landing - A & B

Characters - Click to enlarge!

All characters - HERE.

Music

MEDIA

? Each of the following is an original post in the Wii Screen Shot Thread: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Screens - Click to Enlarge

Videos

Wallpaper
All characters - HERE.
SSX Title Wallpaper - HERE
TONS MORE - HERE!

END NOTES

?

Requests
1. Please mark anything not expressly revealed in official releases with spoilers.
2. Feel free to post media/material that you think should be included in the OP.
3. Impressions are requested and appreciated!

======================
~Thank you~
1. Panther Lotus for formatting this thread!
2. StrikerObi for starting this thread!
3. IGN Media staff
4. Wiki Members
5. Various fan sites
6. V00K - Aussie Box art.

----------------------------------------

First Review is up!

http://www.gamedaily.com/canvases/gd/_a/review-ssx-blur/20070223140409990001

Conquer the mountain in style with EA Montreal's Wii exclusive SSX Blur. Players select from 12 riders, then spin, jump, flip and shred their way through 12 beautiful tracks featuring gigantic dinosaur statues, ramps, half-pipes and insane drops. In a unique twist, they steer their characters using the nunchuk, twisting it left to right to navigate around hairpin turns. To perform tricks, they jerk the Wii remote in various directions, and once they fill the Groove Meter, they draw shapes using both controllers to bust out superhuman maneuvers, all the while the music changes depending on how well they perform. No online play hurts, and the two-player split screen mode offers limited enjoyment, but overall, EA successfully "blurs" the line between realism and fantasy, creating a great video game for all ages.

I'd be much more excited if it was a new game on glorious HD (remember when the SSX series was known for its mind-blowing presentation and bleeding-edge technology?).

Some might like to waggle, but I'll wait for the true next-gen SSX experience. Make if ****ing happen, EA.

kylej

Banned
... the 27th is one week away from today. edit. Saw your edit.

I can't wait for Blur, it'll be the first Wii game after Zelda that I have bought.

bridegur

Has anybody here been able to actually try it? I'd like to know if the controls work as good or better than previous SSX games.

Some might like to waggle, but I'll wait for the true next-gen SSX experience. Make if ****ing happen, EA.

I'm sure EA will release info on the next-gen SSX fairly soon, they probably don't want to take attention away from Blur.

I don't know if this is a game I should be excited about. My opinion might change if I got to play a demo, but as it is I'd rather wait for an XBox360/PS3 SSX.

dkeane

I'm looking forward to this. I like the look of the controls. Haven't played a SSX game in a while also.

traveler

Not Wario
Either this or Sonic will be the second Wii game I purchase outside of the VC. Anyone know when the embargo for this lifts? (In other words, is it going to be the norm with a wait until Monday, or can we expect to see the first thoughts coming in later this week?) Which should I get? (Assuming I have the potential to enjoy both types of games equally)

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I'm a big fan of the series, so I'm thoroughly looking forward to this. Also, I'd kind of like something to play on that thing next to the TV.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You start a hype thread and....link to the IGN Media Page??

meh.

I'll post something you can appreciate. Gimme some time though.

aeolist

Banned
I've never played SSX though from what I've heard about it I should have. This looks like a great intro to the series.

Bildi

Mejilan said:
I REALLY can't wait. On Tour was... meh, but SSX3 was freaking awesome!

That's unfortunately why I just can't get hyped. EA Big proved it can take an awesome game series and somehow magically f*ck it up.

I would be ecstatic if Blur turned out awesome, but I will have to wait until it is released.

Sad for me cos I am a gigantic SSX fan.

aeolist said:
I've never played SSX though from what I've heard about it I should have. This looks like a great intro to the series.
You don't need a "great intro", or whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. For probably close to $20 total you can get used copies of both Tricky and SSX3 for the GC. Most of the SSX fans here are hoping that Blur won't be trash like On Tour was, and praying for something that even approaches the quality of either Tricky or SSX3 (both of which still look very good).

Why spend $50 on something that has a real chance of sucking (I haven't seen EA decrying On Tour yet) when you can spend $20 on guaranteed awesomeness?

wsippel

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:
one question:

framerate?
IGN Wii: In what ways have you been able to improve on the SSX franchise from a technical viewpoint when upgrading from the GameCube over to Wii?

Eric: The engine is a modified version of SSX On Tour, but we've improved the framerate to 60 fps in single player mode. Also, as already discussed, visually, the game has been revamped with new texture and lighting effects.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764416p1.html

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bildi said:
That's unfortunately why I just can't get hyped. EA Big proved it can take an awesome game series and somehow magically f*ck it up.

I would be ecstatic if Blur turned out awesome, but I will have to wait until it is released.

Sad for me cos I am a gigantic SSX fan.

Except that Blur kinda looks like SSX3 Tricky ReMix!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
aeolist said:

If this is sort of a rip on 3, which some have implied, then it will be AMAZING.

I wish we were getting a pretty, HD take on the series, though.

It has some exclusive music, and every hands-on report has been glowing.

My only real worry is that from what I heard, all of the levels are taken from previous SSX games. A lot of the screen shots show older levels with revamped graphics. As well, the levels don't appear to have a lot of variety.

traveler

Not Wario
underfooter said:
It has some exclusive music, and every hands-on report has been glowing.

My only real worry is that from what I heard, all of the levels are taken from previous SSX games. A lot of the screen shots show older levels with revamped graphics. As well, the levels don't appear to have a lot of variety.

Yeah, while I really liked 3's structure, I was kinda hoping the series could go back to providing the same variety as Tricky. (Was I the only one who totally loved the bizarre pinball machine course?)

traveler said:
Yeah, while I really liked 3's structure, I was kinda hoping the series could go back to providing the same variety as Tricky. (Was I the only one who totally loved the bizarre pinball machine course?)

no, I loved that game's craziness as well.

Lobster

Banned
March for Australia. Thats not so bad considering its Australia.:D

March is gonna be a tough decision for Aussie Wii gamers.

I'm still holding out for the inevitable traditional SSX 5 for the 360 and PS3. Waggle controls don't appeal to me for a snowboarding game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ssxblur-banner.jpg

***THE OFFICIAL SSX BLUR THREAD OF PERFECT POWDER***

This game is going to rule. It's basically SSX3 + SSX On Tour + New graphics, effects, characters, music, and levels...and of course an all new (and awesome!) control scheme. Think of how Tricky used some of the original's levels and you get the idea. All the usual characters are back, and with all new tricks, too.

Oh yeah - On top of all the new additions, it's exclusive. You can only get the best snowboarding game on the Wii.

GAME INFO

1235.jpg

Developed by - EA Montreal
Published by - EA SPORTS BIG

Release Dates:
US - February 27 , 2007
JPN - December 31, 2007
EU - March 16, 2007
AUS - March 15, 2007

Genre - Arcade-style Snowboarding
Modes - Single-player, Multiplayer
Price - ($49.99?)

Websites
**Official Website**
IGN
Wiki

PREVIEWS

IGN - JAN 19 said:
The gist of what we are saying is that SSX Blur is a joy to control. It is instantly accessible to jump onto your snowboard and speed down the game's massive tracks. Like other SSX games, it is possible to make some truly huge jumps, which are complemented nicely by the game's massive draw distance. Tricks are impossibly easy to pull off, and it feels great to stick a landing after doing twelve backflips and a nose grab right in succession. The greatest thing about the way SSX Blur controls is that it genuinely does not feel like the designers were trying to fit the old SSX control mechanics onto the Wiimote, instead they redesigned those mechanics with the new controller in mind. It all ends up feeling very natural and intuitive, things that we are always looking for in our Wii games.

Visually, Blur is shaping up to be one of the nicest looking Wii titles to date. While some may eschew the stylized, slightly comical appearance of the riders, it does end up working nicely in the game. Our rider, Mac, was fairly detailed and sported smooth animations as he raced downhill. Furthermore, there are neat little graphical additions strewn throughout the game, such as your rider getting coated in snow after falling into some powder or the nicely done snow deformation. The game is also jam-packed with effects, such as ambient fog, billowing snowflakes, impressive lens flare, and crystal clear environments. Believe us when we say that SSX Blur proves that there is a whole lot of room for improvement in the visual aspect of Wii games, despite the system's minute stature.

REVIEWS
coming soon!
EGM -
Famitsu -
IGN -
Gamespot -

GAMEPLAY

On the Snow
● Turn your character - Tilt the nunchuck
● Sharp turn - Analogue Stick
● Jump - up gesture with nunchuck
● Boost - Z
● Tail Press (skiis) - C
● Grabs - Z + nunchuck tilt

In the Air
● Spin - Wiimote swing
● Landing - A & B

said:
Through an interview with IGN, the lead designer of the game, Eric Chartrand, revealed how exactly SSX Blur will utilize the Wii Remote and attached Nunchuk:

Tilting the nunchuk left and right will turn your character, while the Analog stick will be used to make finer adjustments if you really wants to dig into a turn. By making an upward gesture with the nunchuk causes your character to jump. The nunchuk buttons Z and C, will be utilized for boost (Z) and for quick pivot on skiis, and tail press on a board (C). Various forms of grabs can be achieved by pressing the Z button, and tilting the nunchuk left, up, down or right.

While in the air, the Wii Remote comes into play.

To make your character spin swing the wii remote in the appropriate direction. The buttons on the Wiimote (A and B), will be used to "finish tricks" and to "auto-land" which puts your character in the right for stance for hitting the snow, from mid-trick. Proper utilisation of the Nunchuck and Wiimote will fill your boost meter.

Characters - Click to enlarge!

All characters - HERE.

Music

1up said:
1UP: In what ways can the music change during gameplay in terms of volume, tempo, intensity, complexity, etc.?

EC: Since each music track has five layers of audio, the intensity and complexity is related to the number of layers played simultaneously. As explained above, the music you hear is determined by performance. The difficulty of tricks you land, and completing the course with speed etc. are all ways to fill your groove meter and thus pump up the music.

1UP: Will you be able to provide your own soundtrack via Wii's SD card functionality, and if so, will it be able to dynamically change with players' moves?

EC: Because Groove Gameplay is such a big part of the overall SSX Blur experience, we couldn't allow you to bring in your own music. The way that audio is layered into our music system is very complex and each track needed to be composed following certain guidelines to properly function within gameplay.

1UP: Aside from enhancing a player's enjoyment of the game in terms of experience and ambience, are there any other rewards associated with getting the music to play a certain way, gameplay or otherwise?

EC: The music is the oral expression of the groove meter essentially. So yes -- the music is absolutely linked to rewards. When the music is pumping, you have filled your Groove Meter and can therefore unleash your uber tricks -- which are the easiest way to increase your score. The points you receive when pulling an uber trick are huge -- but the best part is the feeling of pulling it off.

MEDIA

● Each of the following is an original post in the Wii Screen Shot Thread: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Screens - Click to Enlarge

Videos

Wallpaper
All characters - HERE.
SSX Title Wallpaper - HERE
TONS MORE - HERE!

END NOTES

●

Requests
1. Please mark anything not expressly revealed in official releases with spoilers.
2. Feel free to post media/material that you think should be included in the OP.
3. Impressions are requested and appreciated!

======================
~Thank you~
1. Panther Lotus for formatting this thread!
2. StrikerObi for starting this thread!
3. IGN Media staff
4. Wiki Members
5. Various fan sites
6. V00K - Aussie Box art.

This will be my 3rd Wii game, and I still don't have the hardware :(

I think this is the first time I've gotten the software for a system that I have not been able to play

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BlindN-Fan said:
March for Australia. Thats not so bad considering its Australia.:D

March is gonna be a tough decision for Aussie Wii gamers.

fyi...

Ant Bully, Kororinpa, Sonic and the Secret Rings, SSX Blur, Bionicle Grim Adventures, Tiger Woods, Rapala Tournament Fishing, TMNT, Meet the Robinsons, Blazing Angels, The Godfather, Medal Of Honor Vanguard, Prince Of Persia Rival Swords, Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Wing Island

Lots of crap, but no drought :p

SSX FTW

Lobster

Banned
VOOK said:
fyi...

Ant Bully, Kororinpa, Sonic and the Secret Rings, SSX Blur, Bionicle Grim Adventures, Tiger Woods, Rapala Tournament Fishing, TMNT, Meet the Robinsons, Blazing Angels, The Godfather, Medal Of Honor Vanguard, Prince Of Persia Rival Swords, Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Wing Island

Lots of crap, but no drought :p

SSX FTW

I have my eyes on those games. Will propably end up only get Sonic and SSX. Whats up with DBZ btw? Did some retailers get some of the Europe stock? I've seen it in some retailers since launch.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BlindN-Fan said:
I have my eyes on those games. Will propably end up only get Sonic and SSX. Whats up with DBZ btw? Did some retailers get some of the Europe stock? I've seen it in some retailers since launch.

I would'nt think so I dont think its out in Europe is it, but yeah among SSX I'll be picking up the ones you highlighted

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mods or strikerobi -- feel free to update the first post with my additions. that should give this awesome game the hype that it deserves.

Panther, your post contains a ridiculous amount of hyperbole considering you likely haven't played the game. It's absurb to assume that this waggle-fied port of old SSX levels that we've already played before will be the greatest snowboarding game ever. I think that title is reserved until EA gets off their ass and produces a truly next-gen SSX.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mmlemay said:
Panther, your post contains a ridiculous amount of hyperbole considering you likely haven't played the game. It's absurb to assume that this waggle-fied port of old SSX levels that we've already played before will be the greatest snowboarding game ever. I think that title is reserved until EA gets off their ass and produces a truly next-gen SSX.

I appreciate your thoughts, but you can't be taken seriously as long as you continue to use that bullshit "waggle" moniker.

PantherLotus said:
I appreciate your thoughts, but you can't be taken seriously as long as you continue to use that bullshit "waggle" moniker.

So you don't waggle the controller in SSX Blur? Thanks for addressing my points :)

Eteric Rice

mmlemay said:

Hey, you're that guy that was whining about no HD above, right?

*puts fingers in ears*

LALALALALA

I'm not listening to your opinions!

:lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
John Harker said:
Hey Panther... should I get SSX Blur, Sonic Secret Rings, or Crackdown?

How are those related at all? Crackdown looks ****ing awesome, Sonic looks pretty good, and SSX Blur is going to be a blast. Get whatever you want--they're not mutually exclusive.

And to the idiot that keeps coming into a Wii thread to bitch about "waggle" -- I never said it would be the best snowboarding game ever. I said it is the best snowboarding game (series). But I doubt that's why you're still posting here, right?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mmlemay said:

And just to point out how much of a troll you are, can you point to anything in my post besides the introduction that I didn't quote or link to another source?

PL said:

You want to debate about my opinion? Have fun.

Holy lol, December 31st in Japan? Jesus.

Anyway, I was totally going to buy this game, but Sonic has overtaken it in mindshare, and I can only afford one game this week. The tracks consisting mostly of 3 and On Tour courses sealed it for me. It might have been different if I hadn't played the hell out of 3. I'll still probably rent it or pick it up when I get my tax return and feel like loosening the purse strings a bit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
PantherLotus said:
How are those related at all? Crackdown looks ****ing awesome, Sonic looks pretty good, and SSX Blur is going to be a blast. Get whatever you want--they're not mutually exclusive.

And to the idiot that keeps coming into a Wii thread to bitch about "waggle" -- I never said it would be the best snowboarding game ever. I said it is the best snowboarding game (series). But I doubt that's why you're still posting here, right?

They are if you only have the time and money for one :(
I can play the hell out of the Crackdown demo for free and I haven't touched my Wii in over a month, so I guess its down to SSX Blur or Sonic. Bugger.

Top Bottom