• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Is anybody here planning on entering the Gamestop tournament? There's no SF4 cabinets anywhere close to me, so pretty much everybody that will be competing will probably be button mashing on greasy, busted 360 controllers. There's no way I have the time to drive out to the 3rd round location so I doubt I'm even going to bother.

No45

kenta said:
After watching this I'm convinced Fuerte is a perfectly viable choice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdmBS7V6DI0
What's the deal behind the combo where he seems to do four consecutive elbow (I assume that's his FP?) moves? Seems to do a lot of damage. After watching it first time I wondered if it might be from dash cancelling, but I didn't see his Super bar go down at all (Which I think is supposed to happen). Am I missing something?

dfyb

Banned
SRK reporting famitsu scan unveiling championship edition patch and more.

Some interesting excerpts:

- Alt. Costumes are available only in 5-character 320-MS-point DLC packs, one new pack every week as follows:
Grapplers Pack - Zangief, E Honda, Rufus, Abel, El Fuerte (Feb 12)
Beauty Pack - Chun Li, C.Viper, Sakura, Rose, Cammy (Feb 19)
Shoryuken Pack - Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Gouken, Dan (Feb 26)
Shadoloo Pack - Dictator, Sagat, Claw, Boxer, Seth (March 5)
Classic Pack - Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, Gen, Fei Long (March 12)
All-In Pack - Get everyone at a discount (1000 MS Points; available from April 30th)

- On day one, when you put in the disc you'll be prompted to download an update that will give you a Championship mode, which facilities play in a tournament format, allowing you to earn more Grade Points. Clearly this is for Ranked match... but I don't see anything that says if there is an unranked/player-match Championship mode.

- Championship mode, as with Ranked and Player matches, can be played using the Arcade-interrupt method (or whatever it's called; under player profile, there's an Arcade-interrupt setting that you can change)

- If you rank in for Championship mode, or any of the Challenge modes (I think; the text is not very clear), you can choose to upload your replay file. Replay files can be viewed by anyone.

so not only are they charging for alt costumes that have been in the arcade version for months are are all probably on the fucking disc.... but you can only get them in packs of 5, and they aren't even available at launch. butt rape to the max

that replay feature better be free.

Guled

what really really sucks about the DLC is that they are selling them in packs, and they are putting out the packs one at a time :(. Its not until 3/12 we could get them all and 4/30 until we could buy an all in one pack (for 15$ instead of the 25 we have to pay if we buy them one at a time). I bet the CE DLC voucher would just be for one pack, and the only packs that will be out at launch will be the Beauty Pack and the Grapplers Pack :( :( :(

- Alt. Costumes are available only in 5-character 320-MS-point DLC packs, one new pack every week as follows:
Grapplers Pack - Zangief, E Honda, Rufus, Abel, El Fuerte (Feb 12)
Shadoloo Pack - Dictator, Sagat, Claw, Boxer, Seth (March 5)
Classic Pack - Guile, Blanka, Dhalsim, Gen, Fei Long (March 12)
All-In Pack - Get everyone at a discount (1000 MS Points; available from April 30th)

Also, apparently its cheaper on PSN then XBL by only a bit

But some good news

- On day one, when you put in the disc you'll be prompted to download an update that will give you a Championship mode, which facilities play in a tournament format, allowing you to earn more Grade Points. Clearly this is for Ranked match... but I don't see anything that says if there is an unranked/player-match Championship mode.

- Championship mode, as with Ranked and Player matches, can be played using the Arcade-interrupt method (or whatever it's called; under player profile, there's an Arcade-interrupt setting that you can change)

- If you rank in for Championship mode, or any of the Challenge modes (I think; the text is not very clear), you can choose to upload your replay file. Replay files can be viewed by anyone.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174758
http://kotaku.com/5145985/hey-japan-street-fighter-iv-xbox-360-dlc-is-more-expensive

ya for championship mode and save replays :D

Dizzy-4U

dfyb said:
Oh my God! Awesome news!

GrayFoxPL

3252406946_c95d85b997.jpg

BOOOO! FUUUGLY!

Where the fuck are they in Europe?!

Why the fuck is this getting a silent treat over here?!

Give me a fucking answer! :mad:

PhatSaqs

Banned
No45 said:
What's the deal behind the combo where he seems to do four consecutive elbow (I assume that's his FP?) moves? Seems to do a lot of damage. After watching it first time I wondered if it might be from dash cancelling, but I didn't see his Super bar go down at all (Which I think is supposed to happen). Am I missing something?
Its a combo starting with fierce, canceling into his dash using the jab version to stop, and starting the combo again. It's not that easy.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Guess I'm waiting until April to pick up the DLC pack. :D Gives the wallet time to recover from the beat down.

CAVE343

It's a shame that they don't offer the all-in-one pack from the start.
And for costumes they're quite expensive, but I know myself, I'll probably cave and buy all the packs when they release

Thats some real shitty DLC, almost EA level of shittyness...almost. Guess i'll wait for the all-in-one pack, I really want the alt. costumes but the fact that they aren't unlockable in the game really stings.

At least give me somthing cool for DLC Capcom - i'd gladly pay for new/re-made stages or extra music.

SnowWolf said:
Is anybody here planning on entering the Gamestop tournament? There's no SF4 cabinets anywhere close to me, so pretty much everybody that will be competing will probably be button mashing on greasy, busted 360 controllers. There's no way I have the time to drive out to the 3rd round location so I doubt I'm even going to bother.

why not? Get a free headband, maybe a free fightpad.

Guled

dang I was beat, I guess I'll use my voucher on the Beauty Pack, I was going to get 4/5 of them anyway so its not that big of a lost

Jube3

The alt costume setup is kinda brutal if true.. Not sure why not put them all up at once, The rockband style model is weird here. So yea guess im waiting. I woulda picked a few up at launch too :( I wonder how that CE voucher is gonna work now If it lets you pick 5 would that mean you get all the packs for free?

I dispise Kotaku,
they are not journalists, they are just grave robbers grabbing news from other sources (without backing them up) and they are always taking jabs at the PS3 every chance they get

Haunted said:
The beauty pack will be downloaded roughly 10x more often than the other packs.

Count on it.

At least they did a good thing putting all the chicks together. Imagine if they put one female in each of the packs. That would just suck.

No45

PhatSaqs said:
Its a combo starting with fierce, canceling into his dash using the jab version to stop, and starting the combo again. It's not that easy.
If perfected then (No matter how hard that might be), could it not become an infinite combo? Just curious on this, I'm not crying foul or anything.

akachan ningen said:
At least they did a good thing putting all the chicks together. Imagine if they put one female in each of the packs. That would just suck.
Sssshhhh! They could still change their mind. :p

I actually have no problem with the DLC if can help developers keep up with rising costs....

...BUT, I think AT LEAST 2-3 costumes per character is needed to justify these prices (especially since these aren't swappable costume parts like in VF or Tekken).

Kintaro

_dementia said:
So basically the LE free costume voucher will be the Grappler pack.

sadface.

Yeah, probably. Even featured Gief in his alt on the back of the box. I figured it was just an example. Turns out it was probably telling us something. :lol

Well, unless Capcom announces additional alt packs, I wonder what else they will talk about on the 7th (was that the date?).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
_dementia said:
What exactly was DIMPS' role in developement of SFIV?

They seem to be downplayed in the OP.

According to Ono, Dimps actually had a number of employees from the good old Capcom arcade fighting boom days. It sounds something like the collaboration from way back when Sega made Daytona 2001 on the Dreamcast and co-developed it with Genki - they did so because Genki had some of the staff who worked on the arcade Daytona games and wanted it to feel authentic under the hood.

People panicked originally at thinking the game would be "cheaply" outsourced and not liking a lot of Dimps' wholly developed games, but here, it sounds like Capcom was honestly trying to put together the perfect team for SFIV. Judging by the results, I think it worked.

Kintaro said:
Yeah, probably. Even featured Gief in his alt on the back of the box. I figured it was just an example. Turns out it was probably telling us something. :lol

Well, unless Capcom announces additional alt packs, I wonder what else they will talk about on the 7th (was that the date?).
The worst part is it's still cheaper to buy them all in April than voucher + other four packs. It's a slap in the face to CE buyers.

looks like we will be forced to own some ALTs that we did not intend to buy, LOL by shoving them all into pacs instead of selling them individually.

"oh! I want Barlog's awesome Apollo Creed ALT!!" "BARF! I don't want Sagat's ALT!!!" "Crap! they are in the same pack?" "I fold, I really want the Apollo Creed get up"

lol, Capcom has ever angle figured out

Snaku

Banned

Only two I'm interested in, and I'll use my voucher that comes with the CE on one of them.

Guled

_dementia said:
So basically the LE free costume voucher will be the Grappler pack.

sadface.

you can.

in April.
I'm guessing they would at least let us chose the pack, the beauty pack comes out the same week as the game here.

Kintaro

_dementia said:
The worst part is it's still cheaper to buy them all in April than voucher + other four packs. It's a slap in the face to CE buyers.

Going a bit far there with the whole Blu Ray + OST + figure thing included as well...unless you were paying $20 for 5 costumes in your mind. =O

Thinking about it more though, the alt voucher in the CEs has got to be the Grappler pack. Makes sense as it will already be out in Japan and the Beauty pack would be a day or two away from US release. Give the Grappler Pack away for CEs, giving them a taste and leads them into buying the next one.

CAVE343

You could save the voucher for when the pack you want is released

_dementia said:
You could buy a pack with the voucher and then buy the all in one pack :)

bad-joey said:
You could save the voucher for when the pack you want is released
XBL vouchers usually aren't points. When you redeem them you're immediately prompted with the corresponding free download.

bad-joey said:
You could buy a pack with the voucher and then buy the all in one pack :)
or you could sell the voucher code and buy the all in one pack and have the same result.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ah Capcom.

Bad enough that it's in packs split up like that, but even if someone wanted to buy them all, they'd have to wait?

The sucky thing for me is that the characters that I love the alts for are separated exactly into every single pack... and I really don't see myself buying the DLC...

Damnit Capcom.

Anyways, I think I see myself ordering the bat top for the TE stick along with the adapter for it - I don't see myself having a problem with the ball top, but I'd like to have both to feel them out...

I'm in Europe so the wait will be kinda long, but it really doesn't matter for me since for one it's so cheap, and the game is still a good ways off anyways - I might look around for Europe alternatives but I doubt I'll find any as good as that site...

CAVE343

_dementia said:
XBL vouchers usually aren't points. When you redeem them you're immediately prompted with the corresponding free download.

You've got a good point there. That indeed kinda sucks

CAVE343

prodystopian said:
Are there going to be skins (or shells) for sale for the pads? I love that white/black SFIV one but that isn't at retail at all right?

If you look closely, you can see that they are all prototypes

Xater

Wow the costume prices are outrageous. I thought they would release them all for like 5 bucks or something like that but this way Capcom can count me out.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Guled said:
is the bluray movie in the CE just going to be the arcade cutscenes put together? Or is it a different story?

AFIK, its the cutscenes stuck back together with more not shown in the game.

Top Bottom