• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

Firewire

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Some shots that people have been posting on WipeoutZone

2vv8aw1.jpg

2637j9i.jpg

4qrgwx.jpg

14b0oyo.jpg

2vuzz2t.jpg

http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5218

For the new page! :D

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Is there a track listing up for the music yet ?, I remember from the original trailer they cited some commercial artists like kraftwerk, Booka Shade, Standton Warriors etc.

Gowans

This has been confirmed as this Thursday on the UK Store too yeah? Just double checking as I would be very upset it if wasn't.

Can't wait play online.

Firewire

Banned
Gowans007 said:
This has been confirmed as this Thursday on the UK Store too yeah? Just double checking as I would be very upset it if wasn't.

Can't wait play online.

Yes, it releases in all regions on Thursday.

Gowans

Firewire said:
Yes, it releases in all regions on Thursday.

phew! Shit just realised I'm away with work on Thursday and wont get back till later, god the train journy back is gona feel slow especially if I'm reading GAF.

Firewire

Banned
Gowans007 said:
phew! Shit just realised I'm away with work on Thursday and wont get back till later, god the train journy back is gona feel slow especially if I'm reading GAF.

If you have a PSP, pick up Wipeout Pulse and get some practice in!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I just switched from my carbon powered Samsung HD Ready display to a human energy driven, 4D, 120fps Sony 40W4000 1080p display. After calibrating it a bit, I fired up WipEout HD and ZOMFG!!! I fainted. This is not just a game. This is a 1080p display killer app. Any sign of aliasing I could spot before disappeared. Not that it is completely absent, but it's so minor only the most extremist IQ whores would notice. Much, MUCH better than GT5P (which still shows plenty of aliasing on my new display compared to WipEout HD - not to mention the terrible tearing/frame drops). At 1080p, WipEout HD is still silky smooth. In 2 hrs of wowing playtime, I've noticed some *VERY* minor and *VERY* quick tearing occurring in ONE spot on TWO tracks, but nothing to even bother notifying. It's not like it cuts the screen in two for half a sec. Looks more like some IQ disturbance that lasts a couple of milliseconds. It's so irrelevant I can't even spot which part of the screen it actually cuts when it happens. And no, it does NOT occur during explosions or other crazy situations. Those remain unaffected. It's just in those spots I mentioned there. I don't even know why I'm reporting about it to be honest (lol).

Anyways, this game turned me into a 1080p believer. It gave me that kind of feeling I used to have when looking at new arcade releases back in the days of Daytona USA. You know, that kind of "ZOMG!!! IT'S VIRTUAL REALITY!!" feeling. I'm floored. The amount of detail you can spot at 1080p is also incredible. I didn't realize before now how much I was missing at 720p (which still looks awesome mind you).

So, in the end, I'd say from all the 1080p games I've tested (SSDHD, FLOW, GT5P, Eden etc), WipEout really stands out as the best you can get this gen at this time in terms of image quality and smoothness. Nothing touches it. NOTHING. Here is my mouth wide open Studio Liverpool. Do whatever you please with it! You deserve it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hot diggity motherfucking daaaaaammmmmmmmmmn! Those screenshots look awesome! This Thursday, motherfuckers, we're going to crash PSN by buying this en-masse.

Speevy said:
Well, I'll have to live with 720p, since that's all I have.

Same. But a 40-50" 1080p set is on my Christmas-gift-to-myself list.

Firewire

Banned
TTP said:
I just switched from my carbon powered Samsung HD Ready display to a human energy driven, 4D, 120fps Sony 40W4000 1080p display. After calibrating it a bit, I fired up WipEout HD and ZOMFG!!! I fainted. This is not just a game. This is a 1080p display killer app. Any sign of aliasing I could spot before disappeared. Not that it is completely absent, but it's so minor only the most extremist IQ whores would notice. Much, MUCH better than GT5P (which still shows plenty of aliasing on my new display compared to WipEout HD - not to mention the terrible tearing/frame drops). At 1080p, WipEout HD is still silky smooth. In 2 hrs of wowing playtime, I've noticed some *VERY* minor and *VERY* quick tearing occurring in ONE spot on TWO tracks, but nothing to even bother notifying. It's not like it cuts the screen in two for half a sec. Looks more like some IQ disturbance that lasts a couple of milliseconds. It's so irrelevant I can't even spot which part of the screen it actually cuts when it happens. And no, it does NOT occur during explosions or other crazy situations. Those remain unaffected. It's just in those spots I mentioned there. I don't even know why I'm reporting about it to be honest (lol).

Anyways, this game turned me into a 1080p believer. It gave me that kind of feeling I used to have when looking at new arcade releases back in the days of Daytona USA. You know, that kind of "ZOMG!!! IT'S VIRTUAL REALITY!!" feeling. I'm floored. The amount of detail you can spot at 1080p is also incredible. I didn't realize before now how much I was missing at 720p (which still looks awesome mind you).

So, in the end, I'd say from all the 1080p games I've tested (SSDHD, FLOW, GT5P, Eden etc), WipEout really stands out as the best you can get this gen at this time in terms of image quality and smoothness. Nothing touches it. NOTHING. Here is my mouth wide open Studio Liverpool. Do whatever you please with it! You deserve it.

Awesome! Congrats on the new display, I'm jealous!

We need more screen shots TTP! :D

Its funny that my excitement for this game was around a 6/7 in the months I have been seeing it.

But post TTP / Eurogamer / IGN impressions It has skyrocketed for me its become a killer
app for me.

Wollan

TTP revealed a cool detail to me.
For destroyed ships, the wreckage stay on the track (below hover height) for the remainder of the race.

Banned
And everyone said that 1080p 60fps was not only unachievable, but that it wouldn't look any good if we did get games running at 1080p natively.

720p or even sub-720p games barely struggling to hit 30fps are an embarrassment.

mintylurb

TTP said:
WipEout HD is still silky smooth. In 2 hrs of wowing playtime, I've noticed some *VERY* minor and *VERY* quick tearing occurring in ONE spot on TWO tracks, but nothing to even bother notifying.
This is 65536 formerly known as andrewfee after reading that comment.

dwightsmiling3.gif

Dever

Banned
gbovo said:
courtesy of WipEout Zone...

2875614089_eca4d4e796_b.jpg

That looks like CG to me, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt. I mean I know it's obviously a touched-up photomode capture, but....

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt

Crayon

Haha looks like bullshots.

Thanks to hi-res buffer grabs and seconds per frame photo modes, I can't tell if Wipeout HD actually looks that good.

Crayon said:
Haha looks like bullshots.

Thanks to hi-res buffer grabs and seconds per frame photo modes, I can't tell if Wipeout HD actually looks that good.
That's kind of a null point seing as it runs at 1080p with AA.

BeeDog

Looks sooooooo smooth.

I wonder if it really is a flexible beast of an engine, or if it's full of engine tricks (like clever use of few polys and shit like that). If it's indeed one HELL of an engine, start licensing the fucker!

No_Style

Wollan said:
TTP revealed a cool detail to me.
For destroyed ships, the wreckage stay on the track (below hover height) for the remainder of the race.

Will rockets and other weaponry hit it?

Crayon

Metalmurphy said:
That's kind of a null point seing as it runs at 1080p with AA.

Yeah but every game can do that in screenshots. You know what I'm saying? I'm confidant that wipeout will look head and shoulders better than most other games but I think it's bad that they really can't show off the image quality in screenshots, because bullshots have become the standard. And since there is no way to advertise image quality, we don't get image quality.

Halo 2:
Halo2Vista.jpg

And that's why halo 3 looks like shit. If they could somehow show off image quality in still shots, they would have a reason to strive for it... and we would get it.

ianp622

Crayon said:
Yeah but every game can do that in screenshots. You know what I'm saying? I'm confidant that wipeout will look head and shoulders better than most other games but I think it's bad that they really can't show off the image quality in screenshots, because bullshots have become the standard. And since there is no way to advertise image quality, we don't get image quality.

Halo 2:
Halo2Vista.jpg

And that's why halo 3 looks like shit. If they could somehow show off image quality in still shots, they would have a reason to strive for it... and we would get it.

Would I be considered trolling if I said I honestly thought that was a shot from Halo 3?

ianp622 said:
Would I be considered trolling if I said I honestly thought that was a shot from Halo 3?

ur not alone :lol

OH SHIT! This shot blew me away for its simplicity and awesome and the fact that as soon that photo was taken, the vehicle was never seen again by the viewer taken the picture (considering the fact that if there really was a spectator there who took the picture)...

mileS

I really can't understand how a game can look this good and its only like 1.3gigs of space. How is it even possible?

Not sure if thats the exact space the full game takes but I recall someone saying it was.

Crayon

ianp622 said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess I'm frustrated seeing all these people see Wipeout in action and being like "WOW IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD!!"

No fucking shit it looks good. That's what happens when you spend system resources on getting an accurate image on the screen instead of faking it knowing that the shits all going to look the same in ads.

Pisses me off becasue this is what most games would look like if it wasn't for the bullshot practice.

Crayon said:

Halo 2:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/stevenhomen/Halo2Vista.jpg

Dude, those are player released screenshots using the photo mode, not official "bullshots". And what I meant was, if the game it self is already running at 1080p WITH AA then high res screenshots won't improve much.

Crayon

mileS said:
I really can't understand how a game can look this good and its only like 1.3gigs of space. How is it even possible?

Because what makes this game look good is not data-intensive stuff. It's heavy processing of relativley simple data. The Textures are small and repeating, nothing really articulates or has and unique animations... it's simple stuff. What makes it looks good is the way the assets are rendered not the assets themselves.

subrock

if this was a movie I would be impressed.

also , these frame rates and graphics are probably due in part to the simplicity of the polygons and the complexity of the textures.

2876445810_330fa0a85f_b.jpg

Such a cool shot, love the contrast.

This really seems like it was a labor of love for Liverpool, all the little details and polish they've poured into it. Granted they've had plenty of time. :lol

Top Bottom