• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dizzan said:
I hope you drive/fly better than the GS dude......

although I'm not much better than him
I wouldn't worry. TTP is one of the better Wipeout players I've seen.

IMHO, that Gamespot review is a travesty only matched by their own review of SSDHD.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dizzan said:
I hope you drive/fly better than the GS dude......

although I'm not much better than him

I tried to do my best. It's not easy to play when the game is lagging due to the capture device/recording process :p

Btw, for size reasons (remember, all vids are 60fps), I didn't grab more than one lap per track in order to keep files around 100MB.

EktorPR

PS3 Fanboy review up: 8.0

PS3 Fanboy said:
The sublime presentation, the collectible Trophies, and the unforgettable Zone mode, make this an easy $20 purchase. But, when you're crying after an 8th place loss on Moa Therma, don't say we didn't tell you so.

Meh. I don't care if the learning curve is steep...it has always been. That should not be a detriment to the score, unless it's truly, maddeningly impossible, which wipEout has never been. The other things they talk about (no custom skins for the ships nor "Elimination" mode) make the reviewer sound more like a baby wanting to cry just for attention than a full-grown man, taking into consideration that the game has a virtually-flawless presentation and goes for $20 fucking bucks.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/23/ps3-fanboy-review-wipeout-hd/

jax (old)

Banned
WANT WANT WANT. I sent a couple of guys at work pics from this thread and they were like WHOA!

This weekend will be confirmed by this!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mintylurb said:
This is 65536 formerly known as andrewfee after reading that comment.

dwightsmiling3.gif

lol. Probably right.

AndyD

aka andydumi
From the PS3Fanboy review:

What makes the game's AI so hard to deal with (especially at the harder difficulties), is the game's rubberbanding system. Games like Mario Kart are notorious for their over-generous rubberbanding, which makes it easy for someone in last place to make it to the front of the pack (use a Lightning Bolt, a Blue Shell, etc). However, WipEout has the exact opposite phenomenon. Perhaps it's more realistic, but those that are in first place tend to lead the pack more and more. If you're behind by 3 seconds in the first lap, it won't be uncommon to drop to 7 seconds the next, and then 15 seconds the next. Posting continuously improving lap times won't even help.

Doesnt that show there is little if any rubberbanding? In other words, if you are not faster than the #1 driver you will fall behind more and more?

Am I reading it wrong?

andydumi said:

Doesnt that show there is little if any rubberbanding? In other words, if you are not faster than the #1 driver you will fall behind more and more?

Am I reading it wrong?

He seems to be claiming there is reverse rubberbanding. Despite posting better lap times you will still fall further behind.

andydumi said:

Am I reading it wrong?

no.

Didn't the older Wipeouts have something like when you were further back you'd get more turbo's? I'm pretty sure that Fusion had it at least.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
prodystopian said:
He seems to be claiming there is reverse rubberbanding. Despite posting better lap times you will still fall further behind.
Wow, he's crazy. Just because you posted better lap times does not in any way influence how well the AI is doing ahead of you. If anything, with less competition from the back of the pack (in the form of weapons) it's easy to see why they'd pull away.

...right?

AndyD

aka andydumi
prodystopian said:

They may be faster laps for him, but were they faster than the guy in 1st? :D Thats all that matters...

Madman

andydumi said:

Am I reading it wrong?
No, you aren't. It seems like he thinks that by posting better lap times, he should be leading. However, it seems like the AI gets faster as the race goes on (not unlike a person I guess) which means improvements in lap time does not mean victory. This is not rubberbanding AI. Then again, any AI that stacks up to people's abiltiies is always accused of cheating even when the AI is rubberbanded so it can't get away from you.

LiK

Tiduz said:
WELL FUCK. i guess im already too late for LBP beta

*cries in corner*

i'm patiently awaiting the full game.

you can't export your levels from the beta to the final game anyways, right?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
LiK said:
i'm patiently awaiting the full game.

you can't export your levels from the beta to the final game anyways, right?

i have no idea, i paid off in full and preordered more than a month ago, so ill get it day 1, still i would have loved to get the beta :p

ianp622

I really like PS3fanboy.com's reviews. They tell you exactly what to expect and the scores usually go well with the content of the review. In this case, I know that I'll probably like this game alot since I used to play Podracer alot but I've never played a Wipeout game.

Crayon

Gamecocks625 said:
Can't wait.

Now all Sony needs to do is put out a Destruction Derby HD. Not the those crappy sequels. I want the original in HD, baby!

Most excellent.

I'm giving you a pound. Whatever the fuck that means.

Here's a pound for you because I like you.

scxzor

Neo Member
EktorPR said:
PS3 Fanboy review up: 8.0

Meh. I don't care if the learning curve is steep...it has always been. That should not be a detriment to the score, unless it's truly, maddeningly impossible, which wipEout has never been. The other things they talk about (no custom skins for the ships nor "Elimination" mode) make the reviewer sound more like a baby wanting to cry just for attention than a full-grown man, taking into consideration that the game has a virtually-flawless presentation and goes for $20 fucking bucks.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/09/23/ps3-fanboy-review-wipeout-hd/

Hey, I'm the guy that wrote the review, and just want to make a few notes. I don't say that Wipeout HD is impossible. It's just for those of you that are already Wipeout fans, this game is something you've already played (I'm in that boat). But, if you've never played a Wipeout, the learning curve is significant. I do believe HD does a much poorer job of easing players into the experience than previous iterations of the franchise.

I don't think removing modes makes me "a baby wanting to cry" -- I think it's strange that the game comes with less modes and less options than the PSP games that it's based off is all. Yes, it's $20 -- and I think 8.0 is a fine score for a game in that price range. I know I'm more inclined to buy lesser scored games at lower prices.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions/comments. Always happy to hear! Thanks guys.

AndyD

aka andydumi
scxzor said:
Hey, I'm the guy that wrote the review, and just want to make a few notes. I don't say that Wipeout HD is impossible. It's just for those of you that are already Wipeout fans, this game is something you've already played (I'm in that boat). But, if you've never played a Wipeout, the learning curve is significant. I do believe HD does a much poorer job of easing players into the experience than previous iterations of the franchise.

I don't think removing modes makes me "a baby wanting to cry" -- I think it's strange that the game comes with less modes and less options than the PSP games that it's based off is all. Yes, it's $20 -- and I think 8.0 is a fine score for a game in that price range. I know I'm more inclined to buy lesser scored games at lower prices.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions/comments. Always happy to hear! Thanks guys.

Please read above on your rubber banding comments and kindly give us some a more details on what you mean.

BeeDog

Blimblim said:
Considering every other site on the planet seems to have put their content online, I'm not waiting any longer. So enjoy these 10 videos by TTP :)
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7119_en.html
Except for the stream they are all running at 60 fps, so unless you get the xvid version you'll need a *very* powerful PC!

Oh man, I am enjoying that video of the menu. Probably the best menu system I've seen so far.

Mrninjaman

Neo Member
Being able to come home and Download Wipeout is the only thing that is gonna get me through my dental appointment. Plus I haven't played any of wipeouts to any good extent since 3 so It sounds like its going to be all new to me.

consoul

threespeech said:
Those minimal, highly distinctive Designers Republic menus are present and correct
Wait, what?

That's not correct, is it?
I thought DR played no part in WipEoutHD's design whatsoever.
I'd love to be proven wrong.

jett

D-Member
consoul said:
Wait, what?

That's not correct, is it?
I thought DR played no part in WipEoutHD's design whatsoever.
I'd love to be proven wrong.

They didn't, but Sony Liverpool simply reused their Wip3out work. :p

Top Bottom