• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Oily, Gentlemanly Super Spin Fighter 4 Reveal Thread of Kunoichis and Karatekas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
Yoshichan said:
Threi, I currently have my 3D glasses on but I'm not noticing anything different about your avatar :( What am I doing wrong?
It's a "next-gen" filter but since everyone keeps asking I'll just change it back :(

dankir

Man they need to tone down the crouchin' quick punch link into everything!!!

That's like the prime attack in this stream for the past 3 hours !!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Threi said:
It's a "next-gen" filter but since everyone keeps asking I'll just change it back :(
:lol :lol :lol Wow, I'm sorry. Hey, at least 3D is "next-gen" for movies!

Sp00ky

Thanks for all the support, apologies to anyone who has been having stream issues, I've been trying to smooth it out over time as best i can.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
dankir said:
Man they need to tone down the crouchin' quick punch link into everything!!!

That's like the prime attack in this stream for the past 3 hours !!!

That's most fighting games in general, not just SF.

Sp00ky said:
Thanks for all the support, apologies to anyone who has been having stream issues, I've been trying to smooth it out over time as best i can.

People need to upgrade their connections and such, stream has been great every time I popped in, both on ustream and justin.tv

LowParry

Sp00ky said:

Just glad to see a stream going on. Good times!

Meeru

Banned
KuroNeeko said:
A few notes on character tweaks from the blog.
I don't have much experience with any of these characters so bear with me on some of the terminology.

Cammy:

* Cannon Spike was a bit too powerful, so they've tweaked it. They have not mentioned how.
* Some attacks that were harder to use have been made easier to use (speed at which they come out is faster, etc.)
* Example given is that her Axel Spin Knuckle (spinning back knuckle?) in particular should be easier to use.

* Some of her normals now feature increased hit detection
* Example: Her far s.rh now works a bit better as an anti-air, covers a bit more area in front of her, and can also serve as a better poke.
* Example: In SFIV, there were times when it looked like her cr.rh should hit but it didn't. They've tweaked it to make it easier to hit with.
* Example: Her jumping light kick works a bit better as a cross-up attack which should make it easier to jump in on an opponent.
* While there were a number of positive changes made to Cammy, the (sweeping) damage nerfs mean that her tweaks won't stand out as much. Still, she now has a few new ways to attack, so overall, the devs think her gameplay has expanded.

* Devs tried to take a new approach with CQC; something that was different from her Gyro Rise Smasher.
* CQC is a counter, so it requires that you actually get hit for it to trigger.
* Reading your opponent will be a big factor in getting it to land.
* The damage on her CQC is quite high, ranking her among the harder hitting ultras. This damage has the potential to single-handedly turn a match around into your favor. Dev's acknowledge that it's harder to land, but they've compensated for it by making it hurt when it does.
* While devs feel that CQC has potential against all of the brawlers, they don't recommend you using it against grapplers unless you like the taste of Screw Pile Drivers. (CQC won't work against grapplers.)

Fei Long:

* In past SFs, Fei Long was all about relentlessly pushing forward on your opponent, especially through the use of his Rekkas. That hasn't changed in SSFIV.
* To keep in line with F. Long's image, they've increased the strength of his more "linear" attacks.
*Example: They've changed the timing on his engekishu (f.hk). Engekishu is a two-hit attack, but in SFIV, opponents had the chance to slip a focus attack in between hits which diminished its appeal. In response, they've giving it the ability to break focus attacks now, in addition to all its previous properties.
*They've made it easier for you to input Fei's Rekkukyaku so it should come out a bit more easily. (I don't think the command has changed, just that they've made the input more forgiving.)

* Fei Long's Gekirinken (U2) works in the same way as Cammy's CQC.
* They feel that a counter ultra works well with Fei Long, even more so than Cammy.
* Example: Take Fei Long's main weapon, his rekkas. From an opponent's point of view, they're going to want to do whatever they can to shut that attack down and keep F.Long from stringing them together. Mixing Gekirinken in between rekkas is a pretty good way to land it.

Working on Sakura now. Will update this entry when finished.
THanks for the translation

Arde5643 said:
Another alternative stream:
http://www.justin.tv/inerd18#r=Ltz5MUU~

Plays with more diverse cast although lower quality stream.

They'll also answer your questions.

Not a fan of the random ass shout outs, but still a lot of fun.

So seriously, I bought vanilla SFIV on 360 but I am considering getting it 1st for PSN. what is the community on PSN like? Variety of competition is most important, but not acting like a gawddamn fool is important too.

Loving the Team Spooky stream - first stream in a long time that runs buttery smooth - but with that said I wish they'd give the people more of a show.

Just kinda boring to see lp.lp.lp.hurricane punch. Like try to do something new/crazy/weird!

KuroNeeko said:
A few notes on character tweaks from the blog.
I don't have much experience with any of these characters so bear with me on some of the terminology.

Cammy:

* Cannon Spike was a bit too powerful, so they've tweaked it. They have not mentioned how.
* Some attacks that were harder to use have been made easier to use (speed at which they come out is faster, etc.)
* Example given is that her Axel Spin Knuckle (spinning back knuckle?) in particular should be easier to use.

* Example: Her far s.rh now works a bit better as an anti-air, covers a bit more area in front of her, and can also serve as a better poke.
* Example: In SFIV, there were times when it looked like her cr.rh should hit but it didn't. They've tweaked it to make it easier to hit with.
* Example: Her jumping light kick works a bit better as a cross-up attack which should make it easier to jump in on an opponent.
* While there were a number of positive changes made to Cammy, the (sweeping) damage nerfs mean that her tweaks won't stand out as much. Still, she now has a few new ways to attack, so overall, the devs think her gameplay has expanded.

* Devs tried to take a new approach with CQC; something that was different from her Gyro Rise Smasher.
* The damage on her CQC is quite high, ranking her among the harder hitting ultras. This damage has the potential to single-handedly turn a match around into your favor. Dev's acknowledge that it's harder to land, but they've compensated for it by making it hurt when it does.
* While devs feel that CQC has potential against all of the brawlers, they don't recommend you using it against grapplers unless you like the taste of Screw Pile Drivers. (CQC won't work against grapplers.)

Fei Long:

* In past SFs, Fei Long was all about relentlessly pushing forward on your opponent, especially through the use of his Rekkas. That hasn't changed in SSFIV.
* To keep in line with F. Long's image, they've increased the strength of his more "linear" attacks.
*Example: They've changed the timing on his engekishu (f.hk). Engekishu is a two-hit attack, but in SFIV, opponents had the chance to slip a focus attack in between hits which diminished its appeal. In response, they've giving it the ability to break focus attacks now, in addition to all its previous properties.
*They've made it easier for you to input Fei's Rekkukyaku so it should come out a bit more easily. (I don't think the command has changed, just that they've made the input more forgiving.)

* They feel that a counter ultra works well with Fei Long, even more so than Cammy.
* Example: Take Fei Long's main weapon, his rekkas. From an opponent's point of view, they're going to want to do whatever they can to shut that attack down and keep F.Long from stringing them together. Mixing Gekirinken in between rekkas is a pretty good way to land it.

Working on Sakura now. Will update this entry when finished.

Good shit.. Thanks

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Loving the Team Spooky stream - first stream in a long time that runs buttery smooth - but with that said I wish they'd give the people more of a show.

Just kinda boring to see lp.lp.lp.hurricane punch. Like try to do something new/crazy/weird!

We are pretty much feeling the game out and trying to get our characters down not really out to put on a show per-se so much as letting you guys see what we do/come up with. if we streamed the 2nd tv though...your brain would likely explode. all the experimentation is on the 2nd setup

AkumaHokoru said:
We are pretty much feeling the game out and trying to get our characters down not really out to put on a show per-se so much as letting you guys see what we do/come up with. if we streamed the 2nd tv though...your brain would likely explode. all the experimentation is on the 2nd setup

:D Makes sense. Who was that guy yesterday that was killing with seth? Is he still in the rotation?

ot: Im a member now yay!

RS4-

God, Dudley's j.fp is garbage. His nj.fp is even worse.

Mr Jared said:
Check out the awesome Dudley Munny my girlfriend made-

dudley.png

so gdlk. Currently trying to convince her to come to NorCal Regionals next month to auction it off. Otherwise, it's being sold at an anime convention :lol

Damn, I like it!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Leunam said:
Hold on, an armor breaking normal? As in, it has armor breaking properties or it just hits twice really quickly?

Most likely it will hit faster, making it hard or impossible to do a Focus Attack between moves, hence breaking the focus.

Finally pre ordered my copy <3 amazon.
Also considering I'm not that great at the game who else wants to do lower skilled matches when it comes out i hope im not alone :[ :lol

KuroNeeko

Leunam said:
Hold on, an armor breaking normal? As in, it has armor breaking properties or it just hits twice really quickly?

The way it's written leads me to believe that you'll be able to use it as a way to break through focus attacks. They don't mention specifically that it' an "armor break attack."

Ploid 3.0 said:
I made that avatar :(
I didnt know. It got linked in one of our channels and I declared it awesome. considering i was the juri on the stream all weekend I decided to use it but I can use another avatar it isnt a problem

Foxy Fox 39 said:
:D Makes sense. Who was that guy yesterday that was killing with seth? Is he still in the rotation?

It was Arturo "Sabin" Sanchez naturally, and yes he is still at the TSHQ. I had to leave for work.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That avatar makes me want to Tornado Throw her... hard.

*insert Kadey Abel.tornadothrow.gif here*

Kuugrr

Iron E Man said:
Finally pre ordered my copy <3 amazon.
Also considering I'm not that great at the game who else wants to do lower skilled matches when it comes out i hope im not alone :[ :lol

I'm down for some scrub matches. :lol What version are you planning to get? 360?

Ploid 3.0

I wouldn't mind sharing a avatar with a pro player, to make it different I would have just edited mine. Maybe make it so she's constantly rolling instead of a break fade loop.

One more week!

Hah, lazy Spaniard. I asked him the other day what was holding up the official thread. He said it was his laziness and assured me it'd be up by the 20th...:lol

Steaks

Sup guys, at Spooky's right now, been playing Deejay exclusively on the stream. Hope yall enjoyed my performance even though I usually just get bodied by Art. :lol

Deejay impressions:
Solid, has an answer to lots of stuff, even if its super specific (and horribly unsafe/useless outside that situation).
Max out has mediocre recovery, like a Hadouken, feels like Vanilla Guile in plasma wars.
Every version of Dread Kicks seems to have some invincibility, but ends before active frames start. All of them feel really safe.
No good way to reliably combo into an ultra.
Excellent if situational normals.
SHORT HOP! Do jump forward/back and immediate down + LK and you will do a move that makes you fall really fast, good for baiting punishable anti-airs.
Do his backdash and pause and look at his hands :lol

KuroNeeko

Reposting from previous page since I've finished. Will delete previous post.

Cammy:

* Devs tried to take a new approach with CQC; something that was different from her Gyro Drive Smasher.

Fei Long:

*Example: They've changed the timing on his engekishu (f.hk). Engekishu is a two-hit attack, but in SFIV, opponents had the chance to slip a focus attack in between hits which diminished its appeal. In response, they're giving it the ability to break focus attacks now, in addition to all its previous properties.

Sakura:

* In SFIV, the start-up(?) on Sakura's hadoukens was a bit on the slow-end, meaning that opponents had an easier time jumping in on her. In SSFIV, her hadoukens come out a bit faster making them easier to use.

* Devs acknowledge that SFIV Sakura did not have the cross-up game that she had in previous SFs. They've tried to increase the cross-up properties of her f.jump mk so it should be easier to jump in on enemies now.

* Shinkuu-hadouken (U2) is a projectile-based ultra. This contrasts with Haruranman, a standard, beatdown ultra.
* For an ultra, its damage is a bit on the lower side, but it's extremely convenient ultra.
* Depending on button input, you can throw out the standard shinhadouken or use it as an anti-air (Shinkuu-tengyou-hadouken).
* Sakura's U2 works especially well once you've pushed your opponent back into a corner. Her anti-air U2 will prevent people from jumping out and both versions of her U2 will hit grounded opponents.
* Once Sakura has her U2, getting within half a screen's distance from an enemy will essentially shut down their jumps / air attacks.
* Sak's U2 will change how a lot of characters will fight her.

Rose:

* Soul Spark and EX Soul Spark have less recovery time.
* Soul Reflect now has a longer window of activity.
* You can combo into Soul Throw (as mentioned in previous blogs.)
* While Rose's overall playstyle remains intact from SFIV, she now has new combos to play with so she's an overall more interesting character to play.
* Soul Piede (f.rh) was slightly weakened.

* With the ability to create doubles of herself, absorb / reflect projectiles, Rose has always been a character that is slightly different from the rest of the cast. Her Soul Satellite (U2) reflects this.
* The ultra itself creates two orbs that circle around her.
* In practice, her U2 can be used both offensively and defensively. Devs believe that there will be a lot of creative ways to use it effectively.
* U2 will make it difficult for her opponents to attack her (because if they mess up on the timing, they'll get hit by the orbs.)
* Trade off is that U2 is less effective against turtles.
* While the damage from U2 is a bit on the low side, it will do things like pull in opponents on cross up allowing you to set-up for other attacks.** (Not 100% on the terminology here.)

Gen:

* While the general opinion (overseas) up until now has been that Gen's been nerfed in SSFIV, the devs say that they've concentrated on making Gen's playstyle "more Gen-like". Specifically, they've strengthened the differences between the Mantis / Crane styles.
* Jump will change depending on stance. In Mantis form, the arc on Gen's jump will be higher, giving him a "sharper" jump-in.
* In SFIV, there were times when Gen would backdash and just as his invulnerability frames ended and he became susceptible to damage - the game treated him as a grounded character. This meant that he ate a lot of combos (that he shouldn't have??). In SSFIV, he'll be treated as "in air" during this time meaning that he won't eat the whole combo - just the first attack. This should help Gen out a lot.
* Jumps in Crane form are a bit more floaty (longer air time) which should make jump-ins a bit easier. Some people thought that the lower jumps actually contributed to a stronger jump-in game but there were a number of instances where Gen would land before he could bust out an attack. This should help alleviate that problem a bit.

* Devs describe Gen's SFIV mp and mk as "slow" and "heavy." They now both come out faster and should be "much" easier to use.

* Oga travels faster, making it easier to hit opponents. (Here they mention frame data.) (Starting from the ceiling) the attack comes out on the 10th frame in SFIV, but in SSFIV it comes out on the 3rd frame. So you have a 7-frame gain.

* The recovery on his Zan'ei has been reduced by 4 frames.
* Jyakoha also comes out 10 frames faster.

* Hit detection on cr.fp has been expanded slightly.
* They mention something about changing his counterhit's damage properties to more closely match his Street Fighter: Zero days. I'm not sure what they mean by &#21561;&#12365;&#39131;&#12403; damage though.

* The interviewer says that it sounds like Gen has been made quite a bit stronger but Sano points out that, "Faster attacks and stronger hit detection doesn't automatically make Gen a stronger character. He's always been a character that requires a lot of technique and that hasn't changed in SSFIV. Still, I think we've done a lot to increase his user-friendliness.

* Devs mention that they've adjust nearly every aspect of Gen's game. Almost all of his moves have been adjusted in some way.

* Most of the changes have been made in a way that will benefit Gen's game if you have the technique to pull them off.

* Gen's mk into hyakurenko is now harder to perform. The reason was that even if your mk-hands was blocked, you could keep throwing it out there creating a rather lopsided position with Gen on top. Since most people can't just mk-hands consistently, over-and-over again, a lot of people ended up using turbo to just keep throwing mk-hands out there. As a result, there was a lot of negative feedback about "how this isn't the way Gen should be played!" so we had to make adjustments to remove those "un-Gen like" parts.

* You can combo into Shitenketsu from Zan'ei, just like you can combo Zan'ei into Jakoha.
* He mentions that "people who have confidence in their offense can use shitenketsu with 'interesting' results."
* While Teiga can only be used in-air, it should be easy to land if you time it to match with your opponent's attacks.
* Teiga will be especially effective against projectile users.
* Example: If you use it as your opponent throws out a hadouken, you should be able to counter it quite easily.
* Once you have Teiga, your opponent will no longer be able to just throw projectiles out there. So it also functions as a form of defense. (I'm guessing like Raging Demon and Fuerte's U1)

Dan:

* Dan is, first and foremost, a gag character, so they've done what they can to increase those aspects of him while removing some of the problems he had in SFIV.
* Example: The recover time on his cancels (were there times when he performed multiple cancels?) was a bit off, so they've adjusted timing to make them a bit easier to link-up with.
* They adjusted the start-up frames on his weak air hop kicks and slightly increased hit detection to make them easier to hit.

* Haougadouken (U2) is a projectile ultra. While it may not have a lot of range, it will chip if it hits the opponent. It also is a bit stronger against enemy projectile attacks.
*You can combo into Haougadouken, especially against enemies in air (I'm guessing they mean juggled.)

Interviewer: Do you think these changes will have any effect on Dan's (tier) ranking?
Okuda: Well, we like to joke around that SSFIV's Dan is the strongest Dan in history, but his position won't be changing in SSFIV. (laughs) We're definitely not planning on giving that position up to anyone else.

-fin-

Darkman M

kensk said:
Sup guys, at Spooky's right now, been playing Deejay exclusively on the stream. Hope yall enjoyed my performance even though I usually just get bodied by Art. :lol

Deejay impressions:
Solid, has an answer to lots of stuff, even if its super specific (and horribly unsafe/useless outside that situation).
Max out has mediocre recovery, like a Hadouken, feels like Vanilla Guile in plasma wars.
Every version of Dread Kicks seems to have some invincibility, but ends before active frames start. All of them feel really safe.
No good way to reliably combo into an ultra.
Excellent if situational normals.
SHORT HOP! Do jump forward/back and immediate down + LK and you will do a move that makes you fall really fast, good for baiting punishable anti-airs.
Do his backdash and pause and look at his hands :lol

Didn't realize we had gaffers on the stream, nice impressions.

KuroNeeko said:
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. :(

When you fail a combo, but try to pick it back up and throw out another attack. Basically means you're a shit player that can't do his own combos. Capcom says that if you fuck up, just throw out the counter and hopefully they try to punish your mistake.

God's Beard said:
When you fail a combo, but try to pick it back up and throw out another attack. Basically means you're a shit player that can't do his own combos. Capcom says that if you fuck up, just throw out the counter and hopefully they try to punish your mistake.

Ohh...you're talking about the god damn CQC and One Inch Punch talks...yeah...what the hell. Didn't know those were called american resets.

KuroNeeko

I'm not sure what they were aiming for in Fei Long's case...

I imagine it's something like this -

1) Fei throws out a rekka; it's blocked.

Now would Fei keep throwing out rekkas to push an opponent back into the corner? Is there a way for the opponent to throw out a reversal? If so, then Fei can throw out the counter between the first and second rekka, or follow with a second rekka to make the opponent think there will be a third and then throw out the counter.

Either way, the opponent will probably be reluctant to counter because he knows Fei has his U2. So you get to push the opponent back into the corner for free. Or if the Rekka hits then you can just combo into the rekkas since they're all safe past the first one if you hit, right?

I don't know Fei Long at all so is this not the case? ;.;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom