• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Onion vs Babylon Bee

Kreios

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
This one got me good, especially the Trump speak

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com

Teslerum

Nov 29, 2018
I had no idea that the Onion had turned that leftist.

The Babyloon Bee got a few good laughs out of me just from this thread though. Thanks!
They were always mostly filled with left-leaning people who could make fun of themselves.

Then the radicalization began and the need to spout a certain rhetoric. It's no wonder they went off a cliff ca. 2012-4.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: hariseldon

Rran

Jan 2, 2013
amugsblog.blogspot.com
One of the reasons I prefer the Bee is because they do a good job inserting extra jokes in the article itself. Just check out the Ninja Turtle one, for example, which has lots of funny details that build upon the initial comic premise.

With The Onion, it feels like the funniest part of their articles is the headline (and even those have gotten hit-or-miss lately). It helps that the Bee can take jabs at all parties, such as the goofy swimsuit SCOTUS satire above.

SpartanN92

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
This is one of my favorites. It so perfectly and accurately sums up the situation in California while being hilarious at the same time.

The key to good satire is a kernel of truth and BB are masters of exposing that kernel and magnifying it in a way that is funny.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie - 12Deflections
Mar 1, 2017
The onion and its not even close. Babylon is the same type of humour that appeals to libtards when it comes to knocking down trump. It's only funny because it makes fun of something you don't like. The Onion is real satire.

Last edited:

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
The onion and its not even close. Babylon is the same type of humour that appeals to libtards when it comes to knocking down trump. It's only funny because it makes fun of something you don't like. The Onion is real satire.

I must be missing something, because that was not funny at all. I imagine it was written by one of those millennial consoomers who praise everything Disney.

Still, I'll love the Onion for what it once was, and I don't think I'll ever get sick of revisiting this one:

Last edited:

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
The California car one is perfect because the setup and punchline are two actual events. There's really no effort required. You're just placing a story from a month ago by a story from today. No innuendo. No word play. It's just "this is real, here it is."

It's not even a setup and then a punchline. That's the setup, but the punchline is the setup.

Last edited: