• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Onion vs Babylon Bee

Rran

Jan 2, 2013
amugsblog.blogspot.com
The onion and its not even close. Babylon is the same type of humour that appeals to libtards when it comes to knocking down trump. It's only funny because it makes fun of something you don't like. The Onion is real satire.

This didn't work for me. It just felt like it was trying to go for shock humor but the guy's delivery was too stilted to make it land. It's just more of that mean-spirited, put-you-in-your-place Family Guy humor that got old a long time ago. Maybe they were going for the irony of telling the viewer to lighten up in such a brusque manner?

Reactions: Zefah

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I was listening to one of the Bee writers and the guy from mystery science theatre talk about how being a conservative Christian in Hollywood makes you a pariah. You cannot pitch anything, no matter how good the idea, because once they google your name, you are done. He sounded genuinely sad.
I believe a few actors that came out against Hollywood saying they have their own occult/religion.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
May 31, 2013
Fetid, rotted, cursed Isz
When you start believing that you have some sort of moral obligation to back a particular side instead of being willing to make fun of anything and anybody, you can no longer produce satire.
What a shame. I wonder if anyone from Onion moved over to BB, because the satire is very similar, when The Onion was in tip-top.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
I was listening to one of the Bee writers and the guy from mystery science theatre talk about how being a conservative Christian in Hollywood makes you a pariah. You cannot pitch anything, no matter how good the idea, because once they google your name, you are done. He sounded genuinely sad.
The MST3K guy (Mike Nelson) got harassed off the podcast by the cancel mob turds, apparently.

Remembering back to when The Onion wasn't incredibly pathetic and unfunny is quite depressing. Anyone remember Jim Anchower?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Onion Movie Reviews are pretty great. i love this one, where he is just complaining that there aren't enough Marvel movies.

but i used to read AV Club daily, and they just got insufferable this year. the movie reviewer wrote an article on how they refuse to see the movie, because COVID or something.
Well one is banned on Twitter and the other isn’t.
exactly. libtards rule the media, they rule culture, they are in the position of power. as someone stated, if you are a Christian in Hollywood you are a pariah. the best comedy is about punching up.

Last edited:

manfestival

Nov 12, 2009
I haven't paid attention to the onion in a long time.... I didn't even realize that it was left leaning till this thread. Now with that said, Babylon Bee is way funnier and better. Like night and day difference.

frostyxc

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle
frostyxc.tumblr.com
Onion Movie Reviews are pretty great. i love this one, where he is just complaining that there aren't enough Marvel movies.

but i used to read AV Club daily, and they just got insufferable this year. the movie reviewer wrote an article on how they refuse to see the movie, because COVID or something.

exactly. libtards rule the media, they rule culture, they are in the position of power. as someone stated, if you are a Christian in Hollywood you are a pariah. the best comedy is about punching up.
This year? AV Club has been crap for 5+ years according to my crap-o-meter.

Reactions: Dirk Benedict

iconmaster

Jul 18, 2013
This one got me good, especially the Trump speak

Equal-opportunity satirists, unlike The Onion. I love this:

"Sometimes, you just gotta do a job yourself," Trump said. "These other judges don't know the law like I do. I actually know all the laws. I know all the best laws, and some of the bad ones too. At least some people say they're bad. I think they might be right. We should stop listening to the bad laws. We shouldn't even have them, really. I will make all the best decisions as a judge. Some loser judges are taking advantage of this country and it's a total disgrace. I will make it all better, way better."

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis

The Bee has really been on fire lately.

It is sad what's happened to the Onion (and SNL and virtually every other American satirical media). When I was in college I would stop by a independent movie rental store downtown to pick up the old newspaper version every week. Always funny and the movie/TV reviews were great too.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Rran

-Arcadia-

Branded for life by her misdeeds
Aug 20, 2019
Not much I can say that hasn’t been covered here.

When the Onion was bought by Univision, most of us presumed it was the end, and it would start taking an unfunny leftist slant. Lo and behold. A humor outlet that can’t or won’t mock the craziest times in modern history? That’s just sad.

I’m just glad we had the Bee to step in without missing a beat. I think we can say it’s a bit right wing? Even so, it’s mocked just about everything, including some Trump zingers, but always in a fun, good spirited way that brings smiles to faces.

That’s so much of what’s missing from leftist humor. It’s like they think something isn’t funny, unless it’s absolutely malicious, and that it has to teach you a lesson.

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
Not much I can say that hasn’t been covered here.

When the Onion was bought by Univision, most of us presumed it was the end, and it would start taking an unfunny leftist slant. Lo and behold. A humor outlet that can’t or won’t mock the craziest times in modern history? That’s just sad.

I’m just glad we had the Bee to step in without missing a beat. I think we can say it’s a bit right wing? Even so, it’s mocked just about everything, including some Trump zingers, but always in a fun, good spirited way that brings smiles to faces.

That’s so much of what’s missing from leftist humor. It’s like they think something isn’t funny, unless it’s absolutely malicious, and that it has to teach you a lesson.
Leftist comics go for applause instead of laughs

showernota

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
I remember back in May/June the twitter mafia found out Mike Nelson had done a podcast with the Earthworm Jim guy. Bill Corbett has a massive case of TDS/#resistance, and his followers were demanding Bill not work with him anymore, or that Bill and Kevin ostracize Mike and start their own version of Rifftrax. The worst part was Bill was going along with it, and Mike eventually had to apologize. I still enjoy their work, and Bill doesn't let his personal opinions bleed into the riffs too much, but it's just a sucky situation all around.

-Arcadia-

Branded for life by her misdeeds
Aug 20, 2019
I remember back in May/June the twitter mafia found out Mike Nelson had done a podcast with the Earthworm Jim guy. Bill Corbett has a massive case of TDS/#resistance, and his followers were demanding Bill not work with him anymore, or that Bill and Kevin ostracize Mike and start their own version of Rifftrax. The worst part was Bill was going along with it, and Mike eventually had to apologize. I still enjoy their work, and Bill doesn't let his personal opinions bleed into the riffs too much, but it's just a sucky situation all around.
I would never go into business with a leftist, or let them have any sort of power in my operation. That sounds harsh, but this is what they do with it, every time.

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
The Onion and Kotaku now share the sam

In January 2016, CEO Mike McAvoy announced that Univision Communications had purchased a 40% stake in Onion, Inc. "As an independent media company, we’ve always been forced to run a tight financial ship, which has made us smart and lean, but not always ready to invest in the great new ideas that we come up with," Mr. McAvoy said in a memo to staff. "I’m excited to see what we can do with Univision behind us."[138][139] This brings The Onion into the Fusion Media Group arm of Univision, the same media family as the Gizmodo collection of sites (Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, etc.), which also has led to a consolidated media management platform and aligned content presentation styles with these sister sites.[citation needed]

The good old days:

BB takes it it these days.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Progressive leaders are worried that Amy Coney Barrett serving on the Supreme Court may send the wrong message to little girls around the country that a full and meaningful life is actually possible without Planned Parenthood.

"Look how happy and powerful she looks," said Butterwiggles. "It's disgusting! Everyone knows it's literally impossible to have a life worth living unless you kill all your kids to please the CEO of your supply chain company in order to have a healthy 401K!"
God damn that is brutal

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
to be fair, the Onion sports page is still pretty good

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
I like how 2 of the BB articles in the OP are straight up true. California has rolling blackouts and just mandated electric vehicles in 15 years, and twitter blue checks were arguing that Ginsburg's "last wishes" should preempt the Constitutional right of the President to nominate a Justice and the Senate to consent.

The Onion articles are more about a beating up a leftist straw man of what they think conservatives are like.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Leftist comics go for applause instead of laughs
A couple years ago I went to a comedy club with my ex and I was expecting a lot of Trump cringe, not a big deal (I can listen to people I disagree with politically), but there was none. By this time, every late night show, every SNL, every comedian on twitter was all Trump cringe so I was a bit confused. Then I was talking to a friend and he said yea, he went to a comedy show and there was no politics either.

It got me thinking and my guess is these comedians know that stuff isn't funny, they just say it at those places because that's what can get them attention on blue checkmark twitter and that's what the tv hosts are looking for. But at a club, you have to make the audience that paid to see you laugh, and comedians obviously take that very seriously.

Last edited:

Wheeljack539

Jun 9, 2004
LA
The Onion and Kotaku now share the sam

The good old days:

BB takes it it these days.
I miss the good ole' days.

"You may have dozens of bases in Afghanistan. You may have thousands of bombs," bin Laden said. "But know this: We still have three or four guns and a full crate of bullets. And some knives, I think. You cannot hope to prevail."

A nearby goatherder then helped bin Laden brandish a rifle over his head.

"With every military advance you make, your forces become more spread out and weakened, while the Taliban's become more concentrated in an increasingly small space," bin Laden said. "You are practicing the mathematics of defeat. Give up now."

TDiddyLive

Feb 22, 2018
A couple years ago I went to a comedy club with my ex and I was expecting a lot of Trump cringe, not a big deal (I can listen to people I disagree with politically), but there was none. By this time, every late night show, every SNL, every comedian on twitter was all Trump cringe so I was a bit confused. Then I was talking to a friend and he said yea, he went to a comedy show and there was no politics either.

It got me thinking and my guess is these comedians know that stuff isn't funny, they just say it at those places because that's what can get them attention on blue checkmark twitter and that's what the tv hosts are looking for. But at a club, you have to make the audience that paid to see you laugh, and comedians obviously take that very seriously.
I never kept track of which celebs were blue or red so I ended up seeing Tim Allen do standup in Los Angeles about 5 years ago and was shocked at half his set dumping on Liberals. Almost everything was un-PC and I was in shock. Only about a quarter of the crowd was laughing while the others stared in disbelief. I gained so much respect for him that day, sticking to his guns in a hostile environment.