• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely off topic, but I just got $1000 dollars and first class upgrades from delta for staying back in Boston for 2 more nights. Guess I'm gonna be spending a lot more on expensive beer this weekend! :D

Find yourself an Allagash Curieux, a good beer store or beer bar will have it. Belgian tripel brewed in Maine and aged in bourbon barrels. Spectacular beer. Cheers!

Can't seem to find new game plus, if it's there.
No unlocks that i saw.
And i can't seem to be able to replay a chapter with weapons there weren't available the first time.

Aside for trophy cleanup there isn't much left, maybe i miss it. like i missed the camera bias in the settings.

latest

They should have gone with horde mode or some other unlockable mode....
Especially since their GOW games had unlockable alternate outfits and challenge arenas.

Seriously when they were making the game no one at RAD said ''Hey since we have such awesome crazy looking guns and gore let's do some sort of horde mode ! '' ?

It's like TLoU all over again. Co-op horde mode would be absolutely fucking fantastic in this game but nope not gonna happen.

I'm very disappointed..... I feel betrayed.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/all?sort=desc&year_selected=2001

i was going thru metacritic i think this could possibly be the longest we've gone without an AAA 90+ metacritic game which is

1) not a remake/remaster
2) is on the leading console(s)

we had some high scores on wii u last year ... but if you consider ps4/x1 as the market leaders they are and include pc been pretty slim.
For whatever reason, I sometimes forget just how much of a monster 2001 was for gaming.

just... damn

sam777

Wish this game had co-op story (like Gears) however I am impressed with the footage I have seen here and will probably get it a few months down the line.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I think i'm in agreement with Theman.

This game suffers from the same issue as Killzone.

Specifically Killzone 2.

It's got the theatricality of its core gameplay down pat, sprinkled with a few moments of brilliance, but so far its wasted it on a very disjointed story backed by an immensely interesting premise, much like the Killzone lore and its game's stories.

I hope things pick up, but right off the bat its failed to establish what makes the Order so ominous and omnipresent with their Blackwater, and you shouldn't make your audience wait till past the game's half to intrigue them.

Specifically Killzone 2.

It's got the theatricality of its core gameplay down pat, sprinkled with a few moments of brilliance, but so far its wasted it on a very disjointed story backed by an immensely interesting premise, much like the Killzone lore and its game's stories.

I hope things pick up, but right off the bat its failed to establish what makes the Order so ominous and omnipresent with their Blackwater, and you shouldn't make your audience wait till past the game's half to intrigue them.

So gameplay needs cleaning up and the game is a slow starter. Everything else is gravy?

latest

They should have gone with horde mode or some other unlockable mode....
Especially since their GOW games had unlockable alternate outfits and challenge arenas.

Seriously when they were making the game no one at RAD said ''Hey since we have such awesome crazy looking guns and gore let's do some sort of horde mode ! '' ?

It's like TLoU all over again. Co-op horde mode would be absolutely fucking fantastic in this game but nope not gonna happen.

I'm very disappointed..... I feel betrayed.
R&D's first big AAA title though man...gotta let them stretch there feet first, more stuff will come. it's a miracle there are no bugs in the game.

TBH, I find the story comparisons to Killzone disheartening. A game so focused on story drawing comparisons to a game I feel has one of the weakest stories in gaming is worrisome. I'm still crazy excited and will draw my own conclusions when I play it. But damn.

Hi Andrea!

Edit: if this game has good characters and voice overs, there is no possible way it could be as dull as killzones.
Also, I see now rapier is just comparing it in terms of not reaching its potential with the givin lore. Not the mediocrity of the story as a whole and has also not finished it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
RAD, if you happen to read through this thread, please ignore the people who want horde mode or those that don't understand why it's important to start slow and build up to maximise excitement. ND ignored them and look how successful TLOU was.

edit: OH, you ARE reading GAF. Ignore them!!!!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So gameplay needs cleaning up and the game is a slow starter. Everything else is gravy?

No, the gameplay is fine. At least by my standards.

But it's like their writing and story outline went through a lot of twists and turns to get to where its at.

You can tell they were inspired by naughty dog games, but I'm not sure they have that much lore to back things up...

I haven't finished, so none of this is final, but, I don't know... Expected it to go somewhere else. It's been stuck in a bit of an amateurish limbo that feels very incongruous with the extreme level of fidelity and artistry the story is packed in. I'm being ambiguous to avoid spoilers, of course...

I was just watching more gameplay on Youtube and I still cannot believe how good this game looks. It's just astoundingly good looking.

Really I'm already over it.. I dont think videos,screenshots and streams do it justice because the wow factor for me is gone.

I know it will probably still blow me away when I play.

Specifically Killzone 2.

I don't think he was talking about Story. Was he?
I am so confused

ShutterMunster

RAD, if you happen to read through this thread, please ignore the people who want horde mode or those that don't understand why it's important to start slow and build up to maximise excitement. ND ignored them and look how successful TLOU was.

I don't see why they should ignore people who want more content. In terms of changing the structure of narrative, sure, ignore them. It's their story, they get to tell it how they want, but if people feel there isn't enough content or they're just hungry for more it would be in RAD's best interest to satiate those desires.

Yeah I don't get why people want horde mode in TLOU.

TLOU was about scarcity of items, carefully reserving ammunition, and the tension of having to pick your shots and know when to melee/stealth and when to run away.

I don't think just dumping a bunch of guns and ammo on the player and letting them shoot hordes of infected works.

I am so confused

Nope, Theman was talking about level design

Yeah I don't get why people want horde mode in TLOU.

TLOU was about scarcity of items, carefully reserving ammunition, and the tension of having to pick your shots and know when to melee/stealth and when to run away.

I don't think just dumping a bunch of guns and ammo on the player and letting them shoot hordes of infected works.

Nope, Theman was talking about level design

So we have one guy saying its like Killzone because of the story but not level design and another saying its like Killzone because of level design.

WTF is going on.

On a side note that much reference to Killzone is really tempering my expectations.

No, the gameplay is fine. At least by my standards.

But it's like their writing and story outline went through a lot of twists and turns to get to where its at.

You can tell they were inspired by naughty dog games, but I'm not sure they have that much lore to back things up...

I haven't finished, so none of this is final, but, I don't know... Expected it to go somewhere else. It's been stuck in a bit of an amateurish limbo that feels very incongruous with the extreme level of fidelity and artistry the story is packed in. I'm being ambiguous to avoid spoilers, of course...

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the impressions btw!

ironcreed

Banned
Really I'm already over it.. I dont think videos,screenshots and streams do it justice because the wow factor for me is gone.

I know it will probably still blow me away when I play.

The more I see, the more my jaw drops. It is truly going to be a 'now this is next-gen' moment in terms of the visuals and effects going on. It blows away everything that has released so far in that regard.

In your head? What sounds like this? It's such a guess. You make it sound like it's 99% certain.
Even if it turns out that you were right, it's still a wild guess. What are the variables that make you give a number that is so definitive for you?
Yeah, like I have said, it was my opinion and also a feeling that this game's score would be in that range. So yeah, my prediction was completely wrong and out of place. And personally, I would give this game a solid 8.5 score if what he said was true. There were both positives and negatives in this game, but to me those flaws didn't seem to be a big deal. Sadly, the press would definitely stress these problems in their reviews. And given that media has been harsh with The Order for a very long time, I will not be surprised to see this game not reviewed well. Goddamn, all the nuisances like "Next-gen this" or "Next-gen that" are driving me nuts :(

kyser73

I wasn't clear enough.
Not the entire gameplay aspect is on par with killzone.
Only the encounters in terms of level design and weapon placement.
Everything else with the order gameplay was solid.

You should probably make that clearer by writing that as a single sentence rather separate bullet points, which is where the confusion is coming in - it looks like you're saying that about the game as a whole, not just encounter design. It would probably help if you qualified how you felt about SF's design to.

BiGBoSSMk23

I am so confused

He compares it to Killzone because half of its appeal is being oddities within their respective genres, mechanically speaking.

The Order is to Uncharted and Gears what Killzone 2 was to Halo and COD... Sort of...

But I extended the comparison to story because it too has this very defined worldy aesthetic and lore ripe for the picking but the story feels very light to start.

I think the opener being up there with TLOU was kind of stretching it a bit.

Loomba

I personally can't wait for a finely crafted SP experience, after all the recent open world games with massive amounts of needless fluff, it'll be a welcome change. Got next Friday booked off and warned the girlfriend. Just need to decide whether to wear headphones or not.

PS. Hi Andrea and R@D! Good luck with the game.

He compares it to Killzone because half of its appeal is being oddities within their respective genres, mechanically speaking.

The Order is to Uncharted and Gears what Killzone 2 was to Halo and COD... Sort of...

But I extended the comparison to story because it too has this very defined worldy aesthetic and lore ripe for the picking but the story feels very light to start.

I think the opener being up there with TLOU was kind of stretching it a bit.

I might be getting confused so I apologize but weren't you the one with all the hyperbole filled impressions or was that someone else. I am just trying to follow the narrative because I don't understand how we go from "Great gameplay like GEARS" to "Killzone". If that wasn't you I apologize.

Just went to the store to pick it up, I had 50€ store credit so all will be fine eitherway. I think the game will succeed, I'm very hyped, and Im sure I will have a blast playing it, even if it doesnt live up to the hype (or even if it does), I will sell it to get bloodborne next month (poor gamer 1st world problems). I believe the game will have similar pacing as MGS games, with big cutscenes.

To all the people skeptical, chill down people, some people will like it, some wont...even TLOU (which is one of the greatest games ever IMO) has some dislikes...so, reading amateur previews in this stage is self-destructive.

BiGBoSSMk23

You guys know how Killzone 2 is kind of an FPS cult hit because of its weightyness and hit detection and AI, etc?

That kind of thing.

It doesn't have incredibly complex level layouts either.

The Order, aside from the obvious, looks and feels very, very different from anything I've played.

It's kind of a very ornate museum piece of a Third Person Shooter.

Y'all mufuckas gotta play it, okay? It's not something you can accurately convey with words, not spoiling etc.

My main gripe is with the handling of the timid exposition and plot so far...
I might be getting confused so I apologize but weren't you the one with all the hyperbole filled impressions or was that someone else. I am just trying to follow the narrative because I don't understand how we go from "Great gameplay like GEARS" to "Killzone". If that wasn't you I apologize.

I never mentioned Gears.

It has presentation and production values unlike any other game. That's not hyperbole, that's just the way it struck me.

orochi91

Gameplay was ever a problem with Killzone games.

I just need a good narrative from The Order.

Alienous

Killzone 2 was the best game in the series. So it isnt that bad imo.

I think it was recieved well by virtue of looking really good and not being terrible from a gameplay perspective. The AI is good, I guess, to the extent that people tell you it's good. But as a game it isn't bad, but I wouldn't call it 'good'.

Ricky_R

Hahah it's him. Kinda funny seeing such a quick shift in tone.

ironcreed

Banned
You guys know how Killzone 2 is kind of an FPS cult hit because of its weightyness and hit detection and AI, etc?

That kind of thing.

It doesn't have incredibly complex level layouts either.

The Order, aside from the obvious, looks and feels very, very different from anything I've played.

It's kind of a very ornate museum piece of a Third Person Shooter.

Y'all mufuckas gotta play it, okay? It's not something you can accurately convey with words, not spoiling etc.

My main gripe is with the handling of the timid exposition and plot so far...

Well damn, that sounds great. That meaty and visceral feel is why I love Killzone 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom