• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

nib95

Banned
It's been ages since I've played Gears so I'd feel remiss in trying to explain it with a hazy memory. So watch this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piM6SJe7z4Y

There's a lot in enemy variety / behavior. Planting cover / grenades also provides interesting player driven strategic opportunities. And Gears actually had fairly open arenas providing interesting (and often necessary) flanking opportunities.

One flaw that is immediately apparent in the Order is that the most variety you get in a single encounter is
regular soldier and a heavy soldier (who soaks more damage and does more damage). There is NO interplay between lycans and soldiers, for example

This looks like Horde mode to me and not campaign, but yea I would agree that Gears to its advantage has more enemy variety and perhaps larger arenas, and that certainly mixes things up a bit. The Order isn't exactly always constricting of mobility and cover options though (as the bridge level shows), and does also offer other things in it's combat that also offer strategic diversity, like secondary fire options on certain weapons, as well as bullet time for example, which can be used to shoot grenades mid-air and things like that.

I think with games that feature majority human enemies, like COD, Battlefield, Killzone, The Order etc, and lack the enemy variety of games like Gears or Halo, variety is less in enemy aesthetic and characteristics, more in the different weapons they use (Eg sniper, rocket launcher, shotgun, Thermite rifle etc), which can require slightly different tactical consideration, though maybe not to the same degree as games that completely switch up enemy types (which The Order does with the Lycans).

You guys are making it like the game is a monumental failure.

It isn't, not at all.

A lot of us discussing it now haven't played it yet. There are a tonne of impressions linked in the OP, and the vast majority are positive. So that's not necessarily the case.

Ricky_R

I'm almost inclined to believe that this had an overall positive effect on the 'length narrative' as outlets will try to contrast their view from 'forum enthusiasts'. It has always been an 'us' vs 'them' situation, so I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of outlets actually downplay game length as an issue.

I was actually thinking something similar, but your inclination sounds much more plausible. I was wondering if some reviewers felt like sympathizing with RAD due to all the exaggerated criticism towards the game's length.

I know it's far fetched, but you never know in this industry. Anyway, what you said actually makes sense.

lifa-cobex

Christ I didn't relies how anticipated this game was on gaf.
It's got like four threads

Might actually have to watch a review for it.

@Wreck

first impressions

looks fabulous

plays like uncharted + GOW imo

the QT(s) i'm not a fan off specially when they put same time actions on the same side of the controller

the setting and atmosphere pretty cool (if you like steam punk?)

got it yesterday made it to act 4

i'm playing on medium

its alright.

First impression?
Subtitles are horrendously small. Seriously?

Yup it's killing me...

Overall I am enjoying it, but there is some flaws that are getting to me in terms of the shooting segments. The 'exploration bits' which are small (don't want to excite anyone on the fence) and should have seriously been utilized more.

Story is somewhat intriguing, characters are all good, and by god the game is breathtaking. They completely nailed the gritty, Victorian London aesthetic. I just hope that if they make a sequel that they really try to make a game that has a lot more depth and complexity. Looks awesome on Remote Play too.

iNvid02

It's been discussed, apparently it would still output 1080p and you'd end up with larger black bars on the horizontal and new black bars on the vertical. So it's not a solution.

saw this on reddit, looks pretty sweet

B-Vju7kCAAAV9lR.jpg:large

Top Bottom