• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 | Impressions Thread of not shooting the messenger.

All I need to know is if Galahad and Isabelle get together.

<3 this ship

Don't actually tell me, I need to go in like a virgin.

tumblr_me29v2JZmZ1qfsdgh.gif

Abriael

Banned
Since someone implied that Shinobi was wrong about the length of the game, let's correct that misconception.

From my understanding, Shinobi gave an estimate that someone from inside told him.

Today at an event in Italy, at which I was present, Andrea Pessino publicly said that the game is, according to their own metrics, between 8 and 10 hours long in average, 12 hours if you play hard or collect everything, and yeah, you can probably make it 5 hours and a half if you rush through it and ignore everything that's not essential.

Which matches what Shinobi said rather closely (besides the last part, but that's unlikely that Shinobi would have been told that by whoever talked to him). So, if anything, Shinobi's inside information is confirmed.

It's pretty simple.

You can beat it in 5 - 6 hours if you plow through it.
You can beat it in 9 - 10 hours if you don't die much (Easy/Medium) and do the bare minimum of adventuring.
You can beat it in 12 - 13 hours if you die a bit (Hard), and explore the environment.

I feel this is a fair overview given I'm nearing the final chapter of the game.
tks man...Wish a mod would put this in the thread title or first post of the OT.

Since the day was pretty boring, I went ahead and timed every single major cutscene in the game so we can put all the rough calculations/speculations aside and work with facts from now on:
All the non-interactive cutscenes in the game put together amount to
2 hours, 10 minutes and 5 seconds.

If you play like the guy from the walkthrough (=fast) here is how the gameplay vs. cutscene breakdown by chapter looks like (spoiler warning):

Prologue:

Duration: 12:27
Time spent watching cutscenes: 8:27

CS Ratio: 68%
GP Ratio: 32%

Chapter 1:

Duration: 29:22
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:23

CS Ratio: 35%
GP Ratio: 65%

Chapter 2:

Duration: 16:32
Time spent watching cutscenes: 9:43

CS Ratio: 59%
GP Ratio: 41%

Chapter 3:

Duration: 46:00
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:13

CS Ratio: 27%
GP Ratio: 73%

Chapter 4:

Duration: 24:25
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:34

CS Ratio: 43%
GP Ratio: 57%

Chapter 5:

Duration: 34:11
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:16

CS Ratio: 30%
GP Ratio: 70%

Chapter 6:

Duration: 7:32
Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:38

CS Ratio: 75%
GP Ratio: 25%

Chapter 7:

Duration: 6:41
Time spent watching cutscenes: 6:41

CS Ratio: 100%
GP Ratio: 0%

Chapter 8:

Duration: 21:37
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:20

CS Ratio: 57%
GP Ratio: 43%

Chapter 9:

Duration: 43:07
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:43

CS Ratio: 29%
GP Ratio: 71%

Chapter 10:

Duration: 4:07
Time spent watching cutscenes: 4:07

Chapter 11:

Duration: 44:15
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:15

CS Ratio: 28%
GP Ratio: 72%

Chapter 12:

Duration: 5:36
Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:36

Chapter 13:

Duration: 5:11
Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:11

Chapter 14:

Time spent watching cutscenes: 3:44

CS Ratio: 67%
GP Ratio: 33%

Chapter 15:

Duration: 10:48
Time spent watching cutscenes: 1:28

CS Ratio: 14%
GP Ratio: 86%

Chapter 16:

Duration: 9:23
Time spent watching cutscenes: 7:13

CS Ratio: 77%
GP Ratio: 23%

Karak

Since the day was pretty boring, I went ahead and timed every single major cutscene in the game so we can put all the rough calculations/speculations aside and work with facts from now on:

If you play like the guy from the walkthrough (=fast) here is how the gameplay vs. cutscene breakdown by chapter looks like (spoiler warning):

Prologue:

Duration: 12:27
Time spent watching cutscenes: 8:27

CS Ratio: 68%
GP Ratio: 32%

Chapter 1:

Duration: 29:22
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:23

CS Ratio: 35%
GP Ratio: 65%

Chapter 2:

Duration: 16:32
Time spent watching cutscenes: 9:43

CS Ratio: 59%
GP Ratio: 41%

Chapter 3:

Duration: 46:00
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:13

CS Ratio: 27%
GP Ratio: 73%

Chapter 4:

Duration: 24:25
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:34

CS Ratio: 43%
GP Ratio: 57%

Chapter 5:

Duration: 34:11
Time spent watching cutscenes: 10:16

CS Ratio: 30%
GP Ratio: 70%

Chapter 6:

Duration: 7:32
Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:38

CS Ratio: 75%
GP Ratio: 25%

Chapter 7:

Duration: 6:41
Time spent watching cutscenes: 6:41

Chapter 8:

Duration: 21:37
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:20

CS Ratio: 57%
GP Ratio: 43%

Chapter 9:

Duration: 43:07
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:43

CS Ratio: 29%
GP Ratio: 71%

Chapter 10:

Duration: 4:07
Time spent watching cutscenes: 4:07

Chapter 11:

Duration: 44:15
Time spent watching cutscenes: 12:15

CS Ratio: 28%
GP Ratio: 72%

Chapter 12:

Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:36

Chapter 13:

Duration: 5:11
Time spent watching cutscenes: 5:11

Chapter 14:

Time spent watching cutscenes: 3:44

CS Ratio: 67%
GP Ratio: 33%

Chapter 15:

Duration: 10:48
Time spent watching cutscenes: 1:28

CS Ratio: 14%
GP Ratio: 86%

Chapter 16:

Duration: 9:23
Time spent watching cutscenes: 7:13

CS Ratio: 77%
GP Ratio: 23%

Very interesting breakdown. Thanks for spending the time.

Once again, RAD is not ND and there is no "the sequel is always better" assurance. We judge game's on their merit and what they are now... not upon what another (60 USD) future installment will be. I likewise think that there is some confluence (spelling?) between the fact that this is a sony game and this sentiment. It having happened with one SONY game series before, says nothing to this one. Look at Lair, Resistance, etc..

And once again, if some of these early impressions are to be taken into consideration, the foundation is strong enough to be excited for the potential for a sequel. I don't understand why this is so offensive to you and I don't see anyone using this as a sole excuse to defend the game.

Obviously that excitement will vary from individual to individual, but I feel it's worth looking at as a sign that 1886 has done enough right to make the prospects of 'the next game' something of merit. I mean, if you walk away from 1886 saying "Ok, I liked this and this, not so crazy about that and that, but RAD has my attention for a sequel", I think that on its own is a bit of a success.
You used LAIR as an example of a failed Sony game- but I don't recall anyone walking away from that game saying "Alright... they have my attention for a potential LAIR 2".

arevin01

Can you separate the time that involves QTEs?

cackhyena

Graphics: Outstanding
Audio: Outstanding
Setting: Great
Writing: Great
Gameplay: Okay
Variety: Poor
Play Value: Poor

The last three are pretty important for me. I'll try it on sale down the line. Shorter time and cut scene amount don't even play into it.

It can be as visually interesting as possible, full of great characters, and a decent story. But if the game play incentive is on the weak side...I gotta wait.

You used LAIR as an example of a failed Sony game- but I don't recall anyone walking away from that game saying "Alright... they have my attention for a potential LAIR 2".

This is a good point, but I just do not think you retroactively judge a game on its "potential" that is not present in the first thing you paid for.

It can and should obviously color your expectations for a sequel. And hopefully, unlike Crysis 2, these dudes deliver.

This is a good point, but I just do not think you retroactively judge a game on its "potential" that is not present in the first thing you paid for.

It can and should obviously color your expectations for a sequel. And hopefully, unlike Crysis 2, these dudes deliver.

And to that, I completely agree. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The jump from Chains of Olympus to Ghost of Sparta was pretty fantastic, which is why I hope they at least get to do one more. The technical jump was big but the gameplay was improved enormously. CoO was frustrating. Kratos was just getting hitstuned around every corner, the story was the main reason I kept playing it. GoS had the most weapon variety in the series, great implementation of QTEs and cinematic moments with greater gameplay variety, improved encounter design, and better/more numerous boss fights.

nib95

Banned
I believe he's asking if he can split it into a 3 way comparison between cutscenes, QTE scenes and gameplay where you're free to move or shoot.

He knows what is being asked, I'd imagine it's rhetorical based on the ridiculousness of this immense nit pickery, that I don't think any other game has ever had to contend with. At least not prior to release. QTE's are also gameplay, whether some people like them or not.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
If I'm right, from dragonbane's post, about 30% of the time is cutscenes.

edit: correction, I see where I messed up, it's about 40%.

Thx for this. Could you post the total time, and the respective percentage?
Of course :D
Total Duration: 5:26:50
Time spend watching cutscenes: 2:10:05
Time played (includes QTEs): 3:16:45

Total CS Ratio: 40%
Total GP Ratio: 60%

10/17 chapters have more cutscenes than gameplay

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Of course :D
Total Duration: 5:26:50
Time spend watching cutscenes: 2:10:05
Time played (includes QTEs): 3:16:45

Total CS Ratio: 40%
Total GP Ratio: 60%

10/17 chapters have more cutscenes than gameplay

I must have been off then, lol.

edit: Yup, in my haste I messed up.

nib95

Banned
I actually think 2 hours of cut scenes is a pretty decent amount for a story driven game. I'd imagine games like Metal Gear Solid, Last of Us etc probably have more in total?

Can you separate the time that involves QTEs?
I rather not lol Maybe I could split between core gunplay and everything else (exploration, looking at objects, QTEs, context sensitive prompts), but even that would be quite a bit of effort as I didnt bother to note it down when I did the other timings. Safe to say is that gunplay takes the lion share from that with exploration coming in second and after that QTEs.

Ishan

moar impressions moar trolling this fire can not stop :). hehe order threads are pretty fun now. (Well they were annoying till i saw the videos and impressions and got a better idea of the game story now they're fun fun fun )

EDIT:

I wonder if their original plan for this game was not a linear tps . i konw theyve said they had to scale down the vision . Wonder if it was genre or mechanics or story. would be interesting to konw.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually think 2 hours of cut scenes is a pretty decent amount for a story driven game. I'd imagine games like Metal Gear Solid, Last of Us etc probably have more in total?
Almost exactly the same as TLoU. MGS4 has almost 8 hours of cutscenes.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

According to the wikia, TLOU has 1 hour, 32 minutes and 19 seconds of cutscenes.

Anyone else to that point where the wait for the game is getting unbearable because of all this stuff that's transpired. Like I just want to play it now for myself to see what the fuss is about and see how I feel about it.

EDIT: Just checked. Dayum, MGS4 has over 5 hours worth of cut scenes. The Last of Us has 3 and a half hours worth.
Yeah. Those are long games to be fair, but yes those two have quite the big amount of cutscenes as well. The pre-rendered cutscenes in TLoU alone hover around 90 minutes IIRC. A funny sidenote is that a game like Heavy Rain has less non interactive cutscenes than all of those 3 going by that metric (since the majority is kept semi interactive).

Top Bottom