• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

Oh yeah, Devil May Cry 4 looked pretty sweet in 2.35 as well:

Artistic vision:

9167719984_1326e0da81_o.png

What 95% of the players will see:

Do people who complain about letterboxing hate their TV bezels, too? Are they mad the game doesn't project on to the surrounding walls? What about blinking, how dare a game waste the space on the inside of your eyelids!?!

nib95

Banned
I think I've posted in this thread ragging a few times already, but I HATE black bars, in a game it would do my nut. Please be 1080p instead.

eso76

Always though this is a much better solution than upscaling.
Movies use the same aspect ratio and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Perkel

Banned
Dragon Dogma had it and it was shit. There isn't anything filmic/cinematic about shitty blackbars.

Always though this is a much better solution than upscaling.
Movies use the same aspect ratio and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

now add HUD of game to that and you have a lot less than your film resolution.

Oublieux

Dragon Dogma had it and it was shit. There isn't anything filmic/cinematic about shitty blackbars.

The "filmic" part of is it not because of the black bars... it's because of the aspect ratio that gives a more expansive horizontal view. It makes for interesting shots in cinematography.

I'm going to say I didn't mind it too much in Dragon's Dogma, but that game really did it due to hardware limitations--none of their cutscenes were particularly well "shot" in terms of cinematography, I think. And, I'm not sure if it'll even work well in gaming where the player (usually) has control of the camera in gameplay. That'll just throw the whole point out the window. Cutscenes make sense, but they're not actually for "playing" the game.

Ushae

Banned
Why is this such an issue when everyone here knows the game will look fantastic? If the devs are looking for a more cinematic experience, then I say go for it. It's something different for the gaming media and a welcome change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom