• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is rendering in 2.40:1 ratio (1920x800), will this be a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So we first started hearing about this with The Evil Within and (judging by some screenshots) possibly Wolfenstein.

I assumed this was just ZeniMax trying to get around idtech5 performance issues in a way others were unlikely to attempt, but now that they're not the only high profile projects doing it, I wanted to raise the question if people think others will try it as well.

The notable advantage here is you render 280 less horizontal lines of pixels, saving a notable amount of performance to spend elsewhere. The down side is that you get black bars even on 16:9 (1.77:1 ratio) widescreen television.

24, son. It's already in scope too. Dat 800p.
Could be just for cutscenes.
I don't think it is, I think the guy on the Bombcast said it's all the time. As is The Evil Within by the way.
Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ugdcas/the-order--1886-e3-2013--an-altered-history

For reference, here are a couple of screens of how it will look like. If you have a 1080p monitor, right click them and hit view image to see approximately how much screen space will be filled by black bars.

image_the_order_1886-22390-2752_0006.jpg

image_the_order_1886-22390-2752_0007.jpg

image_the_order_1886-22390-2752_0010.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't mind black bars too much (dragons dogma, re4) but they don't make games more filmic. They make them slightly squishier

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I fully support this development. I've got a dedicated 2.40:1 projector screen waiting for this game.

I never noticed the black bars in Dragon's Dogma until I saw people talking about them online. I still didn't notice them until I specifically looked for them, then forgot about them immediately. They're black space and my mind just deletes them along with the bezel of my TV. I don't care.

Gbraga

And here I was thinking chromatic aberration would be the main issue with next gen.

I'm up for it. Love movies in scope and if it helps get to 60fps I can live with it.

If it does, than I completely agree.

We both know it won't, though.

The Evil Within isn't 60fps afaik

Smartish way to do sub-fullhd res. I'm wondering too if we'll see this in many games. I can't even stand it in movies, I tend to zoom them to fill the whole screen whenever I can.

Reallink

The Dark Sorcerer demo also used this format didn't it? Looks like we're going to be suffering a lot letter boxed games with Vignette out the ass.

BadAss2961

I could see it being copied if The Order's a big hit. But I don't see it becoming a trend.

I have no problem with the idea. I'm all for different things.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so we'll have huge black bars on our HDTV like some blu-ray films? do not want :(

saving a notable amount of performance to spend elsewhere

and saving performance on new gen consoles? AMD must really gave MS and Sony some serious weak chips.

Xater

I think for games that is pretty dumb. In films it makes perfect sense for specific framing, but that argument goes out of the window as soon as you give the player control over the camera.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have never been a big fan of adding bars to make a game more cinematic, I just think it looks crummy. I really like having games take up the full vertical space.

I don't mind black bars too much (dragons dogma, re4) but they don't make games more filmic. They make them slightly squishier

Tagged both of the games good enough for me to not even notice after 5 minutes.

This is something that will work just fine on a game-by-game basis, and should be judged by how distracting it is vs the game's performance.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't really have an issue with the resolution, but I think it's a bad idea mechanically. Halo even has the reticule below the center of the screen because vertical real estate is so valuable, and they're just butchering it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have nothing against this. Devs should have a choice in how to showcase their games.

What's next, we will stop tolerating 4:3 indie games?

Hopefully this is just an early generation thing until they can get their engines better optimized.

I think it is pretty dumb to even try to make it sound like a positive though.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
This is weird. Why not just render at 1920x800 anamorphic? Just stretch the image out to 1920x1080p. Thats what we've been doing this generation with almost all games.

Crisium

If it works with the game, I'm fine with it. That means the game better be bursting with style, or a "filmic" experience. If this game has this style, then I am okay.

But NO to this being the standard. It should be rare, and only when appropriate (like Beyond Two Souls).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty sure they said in an E3 interview that they did this to make the experience extra cinematic or something. But yeah, that's probably just a rather lame excuse.

I think for games that is pretty dumb. In films it makes perfect sense for specific framing, but that argument goes out of the window as soon as you give the player control over the camera.

This, exactly. Widescreen cutscenes are fine, just as in movies, but the concept of an aspect ratio doesn't really make sense with free camera control.

UrbanRats

I hated it in Dragon's Dogma (well, i admit after an hour or so of gameplay you tend to forget about it).

As far as it being a standard: If the public doesn't shit on it early on, i can see it becoming a standard to push more effects on screen.
I hope it doesn't stick, personally.

EDIT: Mind you i don't mind experimenting with aspect ratios, but i don't want it to become a standard!

ReaperXL7

I dont understand why developers would want to do this for their movies?I would think they would want to actually take advantage of the new hardware, stuff like this starts to make me think these new consoles are not as powerful as we are being lead to believe.

If it works it works. We'll see. Ready at Dawn is a good developer so I'll give em the benefit of the doubt for whatever until I see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom