• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 - New Gameplay Footage Released Before Embargo

RayMaker

Banned
Technically it looks as good as the E3 trailer which is impressive, but the drab color palette and small environments takes the wow factor somewhat away. Overall it does not look any more impressive then other upcoming next gen games.

Yes, because a 2-minute clip will show everything a game has to offer. Let's not get silly over here. Resident Evil 4 is just a third person shooter, yet the varying scenarios make it an awesome ride to be on.

Relax. I'm not prejudging the game.Nothin g wrong in hoping the dev delivers on the game play front.

Famassu

I got the impression out of that video that, gameplay-wise, The Order looks to be poor and empty, but it'll be an impressive tech demo. Just as how Ryse was.
Just like Resident Evil 4, The Last of Us, Uncharted etc? My dear god, the idiotic hyperbole in this thread based on a couple of minutes of cutscenes and some gameplay. o*\ The game will seemingly put you against all kinds of monsters(/half-breeds?), should have all kinds of environmental destruction and the potential for all kinds of varying gameplay scenarios in the setting they've created. Unless you think shooters are, by nature, somehow more shallow than all other genres, then I can't, for the death of me, figure out how you pulled out that this game will 100% likely be the kind of shallow shit Ryse was.

I didn't say that. I'm just saying considering the hype, I thought it would be a little more than running down alleys and streets and shooting dudes who don't notice.
The game is more than that. This just seems to show snippets of a (early?) a portion in the game. It's not 100% representitive of EVERYTHING that the game will offer, don't be stupid.

Then you should know 19th century London colors looked exactly like that.

The game would be a lot less scary with blue sky and rainbows anyway.

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. The area they have chosen looks like a very nice artistic representation. What I was contesting was that all of London at that time looked drab and dilapidated. I think it would be cool if they took the fight to some of the more iconic settings. I see most of this game taking place at night anyway. BUt they could infiltrate some government officials residence in some swanky part of town and have some scenes fighting in the parks. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for some aesthetic variety (and in fact everything good about it) as long as it fits the context.

Right now, in terms of visuals, the only upcoming games that I think are comparably impressive are Witcher 3, The Division, Infamous, and Quantum Break. I am hoping FFXV gets in there as well, but they need to upgrade quite a lot of the assets yet.

kyser73

Do you want to tell us how the game isn't final, and there is yet to be a good layer of polish/missing GFX features to be implemented :)?

Also - is this the build that R@D were ready to show at VGX?

This could be stuff that's up to 3 months old.

thuway

Technically it looks as good as the E3 trailer which is impressive, but the drab color palette and small environments takes the wow factor somewhat away. Overall it does not look any more impressive then other upcoming next gen games.

I actually like the setting. Adding colour and vibrancy to a steam punk horror world would defeat the purpose of the setting. The art direction is fantastic.

Raide

Need to see more footage but this could be the PS4's Ryse. Melding that cinematic feel with gameplay is what all games should be heading towards.

jiiikoo

Banned
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. The area they have chosen looks like a very nice artistic representation. What I was contesting was that all of London at that time looked drab and dilapidated. I think it would be cool if they took the fight to some of the more iconic settings. I see most of this game taking place at night anyway. BUt they could infiltrate some government officials residence in some swanky part of town and have some scenes fighting in the parks. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for some aesthetic variety (and in fact everything good about it) as long as it fits the context.

I'd love to also see some of that in the game. Hope the parts in which you actually go into houses aren't all rundown slum apartments/houses. Would be nice to see some upscale settings as well.

thuway

the footage in the video isn't from the final build... obviously.

is that good enough? :p

I just wanted the vocal minority obsessed with brickgate and AOgate to understand that there is still a ton left to be done on the game. RAD is a smaller team compared to most studios, so for them, this is a big deal.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Looks very pretty and all, but gameplay looks completely derivative, and this is from someone who actually likes cover shooters like Gears of War (1-2) or Uncharted (1-2). Excitement level still very low until they show more gameplay. Will there be exploration, adventuring, puzzle solving? Seems like a complete waste to use this setting on an uber-generic TPS. Also, fuck QTEs, please won't this stupid trend die already? ;_;

lol @ the voice-over praising that "ancient weapon" as something clever. It's most likely just an excuse to have modern weapon mechanics such as grenade or rocket launchers, because let's face it, a pure shooter with crappy primitive weapon would probably not be all that fun.

Does this bother anyone else?

ibgy4iODiWV2gp.png

That brick jutting out perpendicular to the building severs only as a place to take cover.
Yep. Lazy design honestly.

Ah ah. This IS gameplay. The game is so beautiful people can't believe it's really gameplay footage.
Or they are sick of this "uber cinematic" kind of presentation? Based on that video, it appears gameplay is constantly interrupted by cut scenes (I predict a few collapsing buildings!) and QTEs. It can work in small doses to give "that cinematic feel" but when overdone it's extremely annoying (see: Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider).

Need to see more footage but this could be the PS4's Ryse. Melding that cinematic feel with gameplay is what all games should be heading towards.
asdfsdyghdrfhdf >_<

Fair enough. It doesn't make a good first impression to me. As of now, it looks like the PlayStation equivalent of Ryse. A visual marvel, but the gameplay isn't anything to write home about.

I don't get this comparison. It's like Xbox fans so badly want PS4 to have a debacle as bad as Ryse

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I didn't say that. I'm just saying considering the hype, I thought it would be a little more than running down alleys and streets and shooting dudes who don't notice.

I just expected something more interesting to play. Visually it looks nice but what they've chosen to show looks average.

I'm in the 'let's wait and see' camp. It's astonishing how the TLOU threads mirrored these threads prior to it's release.

To be fair, for the little seen, this game ( if gameplay ends up being not great ) will, at least, have 1000 times better graphics than Ryse.

Krisprolls

Banned

Well yeah there's something wrong about asking more variety from a 2 mn footage... We hardly know what lies in the game. It's a bit strange to ask for multiple locations from a 2mn footage.

kyser73

I just wanted the vocal minority obsessed with brickgate and AOgate to understand that there is still a ton left to be done on the game. RAD is a smaller team compared to most studios, so for them, this is a big deal.

They could put this in a TV ad and people would be asking if it was a movie trailer.

Seriously, it looks amazeballs and while I hate the term 'system seller' this is the kind of thing that a 'casual' will see on the TV and think 'Wow, what does *that* run on?'

IMO.

bombshell

You are in luck then, because the game involves alternate history werewolve hybrids. We've known that since the reveal at E3.

thuway

They could put this in a TV ad and people would be asking if it was a movie trailer.

Seriously, it looks amazeballs and while I hate the term 'system seller' this is the kind of thing that a 'casual' will see on the TV and think 'Wow, what does *that* run on?'

IMO.

I really like how they go about interpreting visual fidelity. I talked to a guy a few months ago who told me the game seems to be going for the Killzone 2 route of fidelity. Super clean, super filmic, with a soft look. I hope GAF is pleased :).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm in the 'let's wait and see' camp. It's astonishing how the TLOU threads mirrored these threads prior to it's release.
Did they? Perhaps. TLoU is cinematic gaming done right, IMO, because it doesn't constantly interrupt you with cut scenes and QTEs were very sparse. The pacing is just perfect. If The Order can similarly succeed at that, then I'll gladly eat my words.

I don't get this comparison. It's like Xbox fans so badly want PS4 to have a debacle as bad as Ryse
What makes you think he's an Xbox fan? What is this shit?

Thanks for posting! Looks amazing graphically. The cloth animation is breathtaking.

Finally next generation games that look next generation and not souped up PC this generation like I'm use to.

Dead Man

Ugh, had to mute his voice. Game looks really solid, though I am expecting to be disappointed by the gameplay overall. Can't point out anything obviously bad yet, but outside the art it looks a bit... predictable.

Thanks for posting! Looks amazing graphically. The cloth animation is breathtaking.

Finally next generation games that look next generation and not souped up PC this generation like I'm use to.

Not souped up PC? You think the PC is holding back graphics?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The skyline looks amazing.

I am loosing track of all the 1886-threads, btw. :-/

I'd love to also see some of that in the game. Hope the parts in which you actually go into houses aren't all rundown slum apartments/houses. Would be nice to see some upscale settings as well.

I mean if we are going to be able to blow up parts of the environment, what is the fun in doing it all in the slums? It would be more fitting to be doing some re-design on some of the plusher parts of town, who could do with getting in touch with the grime of life.

you're right, this upcoming game blows it out of the water

putty-squad-ps4-oyun.jpg

this game looks great, come on dude

Yaoibot

I can't see the transition anymore between cutscenes and game-play. That's the barrier I was hoping last gen would break. Looks like I finally get my wish. And my God, an actual STEAMPUNK GAME! After Edge of Twilight turned into iOS garbage (and that's not a slight on mobile games in general, but that one was actual - critically panned - trash).

2014 is banner year for gaming. I don't know how I will ever find the time to play everything.

Edit: The 'color palette' is saturated and heavily filtered with blue. Its not the standard 'military brown' that we saw for the entirely of last-gen. Some of you people are color blind, or just not sensitive enough to hues.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Did they? Perhaps. TLoU is cinematic gaming done right, IMO, because it doesn't constantly interrupt you with cut scenes and QTEs were very sparse. The pacing is just perfect. If The Order can similarly succeed at that, then I'll gladly eat my words.

What makes you think he's an Xbox fan? What is this shit?

Yes, they did. It was the same (and pointless) criticisms. This is what I've taken from the footage so far:

Graphics 11/10, Animation 11/10, gameplay ?/10, Script ?/10, Acting ?/10

DemonNite

yeah I think it's unfortunate that these small "issues" popped up and diverting discussions but most people are amazed with what they have done. And RAD will polish this game up well I'm sure

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Then you should know 19th century London colors looked exactly like that.

The game would be a lot less scary with blue sky and rainbows anyway.
According to popularized depictions that have perpetuated themselves in media like film since then, anyways. But it doesn't matter, it's not striving for realism in the art as much as it is that cinematic (root word: cinema) look. It reminds me of The Prestige, so I'm fine with the direction they took.

This is the weirdest nitpick considering it's not completely devoid of it and exclusively a composite of gray and brown.

A Hollywood writer? That's usually a bad sign as they're brought too late in the stage of development and are mostly giving the game moments a plot and some context. Or just writing those audio diaries and supplementals that few care for.

Ugh, had to mute his voice. Game looks really solid, though I am expecting to be disappointed by the gameplay overall. Can't point out anything obviously bad yet, but outside the art it looks a bit... predictable.

Not souped up PC? You think the PC is holding back graphics?

No, I think you can only do so much with adding effects and resolution to ports.

kyser73

Right now, in terms of visuals, the only upcoming games that I think are comparably impressive are Witcher 3, The Division, Infamous, and Quantum Break. I am hoping FFXV gets in there as well, but they need to upgrade quite a lot of the assets yet.

A chase out of Buck Palace through St James Park, up Downing St passing No.10 ending up on Westminster Bridge with Big Ben chiming midnight in some crazy ass horde attack.

Top Bottom