• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

ictKcQXWAdQvC.gif

what did Galahad do for her to look at him like that lol...don't they have a relationship going on

WAIT THE FUCK UP, this game has NPCs??? Confirmed?? Someone help me.

Niiice. One step closer to adventuring, and one away from action. That's the way I like it.

what did Galahad do for her to look at him like that lol...don't they have a relationship going on

It's after the constable that they dragged into the building dies. I guess they're just sad because of the loss of life.

And that GameInformer preview from months ago did state that they've got a bit of a thing for each other.

Darknight

Might have something to do with your crew strolling down a street with people and all of the sudden, werewolves attack everyone and a shootout occurs with resistance members too. All hell breaks loose, bullets flying everyone, NPCs gunned down, metal beams being bent as well. Sounds delish...

nib95

Banned
After reading the Eurogamer preview I'm really happy they delayed this. Just as I feared watching the gameplay videos, the Eurogamer preview suggests the gunplay doesn't feel great, and he describes it as "lightweight" with enemies not reacting to every shot. This is something that will make or break this game. The shooting has to feel good and impactful.

I really hope they get that straightened out by their ship date. I want these amazing weapons to feel as awesome as they look in action.

Just so you know, the Eurogamer preview is the only one to say such a thing. All the other previews say the combat feels great, and notably the Thermite gun is very fun to use.

The hit reactions seem solid tbh, but a few of the pistol bullets do seem like they don't have as much or any impact as they should, till the killing blow, whereas in another segment where he's defending as they're dragging the injured guy through the street, the enemies react great, so I guess they're still tweaking and polishing these things.

Darknight

I dont know but Im kinda liking Lady Isabella. She looks cute. Love the way she has her lips slightly opened like that. They really have made her express her emotions better. Before she was like a zombie. Respect points going up for RAD.

I hope there is atleast a hut tub scene with her in it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Where is the source for this quote?

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost Dickensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-gamescom-2013-sony-brings-its-next-gen-darlings-to-cologne/
thread about this article http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657629

Erm, 3 of the 4 people in your squad are NPCs. Not sure what you are asking.
Read the text above, and pay closer attention to "meandering NPCs" mention. :)

viveks86

Just realized that we have breached the 2 week mark towards E3. Yay!

Read the text above, and pay closer attention to "meandering NPCs" mention. :)

Yeah. But what's there to confirm? He wants RAD to confirm that there is a scene with people walking around? Why is that so shocking?

iceatcs

I hope something like Metro 2033 NPCs in the village. That's something quite suitable for London street.

JP

Wow, some of the stuff in the Game Trailers video looks crazy, the overall image quality is so strong in that video. All the effects seem to build the atmosphere perfect;y. Pretty good for what will be released just over a year from console launch.

Really hope it plays as well as it looks.

They can take all the time they want as long as they improve the game it will be worth the wait and besides there is a lot of games coming out October and November so i am good.

spwolf

Where is the source for this quote? And yea, Shinobi has already indirectly implied we'd see areas that resemble the earlier concept art.

if you guys watch videos, you will hear that game has different areas, including underground, and some of which are much brighter - they just picked gloomy area on purpose.

there are also 3 different factions in game and you cant use blackwater as much as you want, you have to gather it up and it is costly.... it is basically gameplay component.

Just realized that we have breached the 2 week mark towards E3. Yay!

Yeah. But what's there to confirm? He wants RAD to confirm that there is a scene with people walking around? Why is that so shocking?

It would confirm that there's more to the game than just shootout after shootout. I hope there's some meaningful interaction with NPC's. Give the game some adventure elements.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I really want the E3 demo to be wandering through a wide open space with lots of people wandering, hybrids attack the NPCs walking around, shootout with a new and crazy gun, and then they call in a morse code airstrike which causes some crazy destruction.

DieH@rd

Banned
some of yall hating, but this has gotten me even more hyped, cant wait for E3

RAD needs to preform 2-punch combo. Stage demo of this Whitechapel section [with Hospital & Warewolf footage] + official E3 trailer that showcases something other than Whitechapel. Give us more important NPCs, more locales, more visual madness.

The in-game footage looks great on my laptop, but playing the videos on my TV.. holy shit it looks absolutely stunning, and the music used in the Making Of is excellent too, I hope that features in the game.

Curufinwe

Just so you know, the Eurogamer preview is the only one to say such a thing. All the other previews say the combat feels great, and notably the Thermite gun is very fun to use.

That's not true.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-far-will-a-fresh-coat-of-paint-go

To that end, The Order plays very much like your classic Gears-style cover shooter. The characters move with a profound sense of weight and inertia, and combat consists of ducking behind scenery and gunning down foes. Unfortunately, in my brief experience with the game, I found it carried forward many of the frustrations found in Gears; the protagonist wielded a single weapon, which felt agonizingly weak and inaccurate. His machine gun spray missed more often than it hit at medium distances, and given that his opponents could already soak up tons of bullets before going down, it ultimately made the demo's shootout into a fairly tedious and protracted affair.

The hero's miserable firepower is somewhat balanced out by his ability to fire thermite "grenades," small projectiles that cling to surfaces and can be ignited to cause them to burst into flames. Gravity plays a big part in the use of thermite, as the projectiles' path has considerable decay over a short distance, and once ignited the white-hot sparks it bursts into fall downward. So there's not much point in aiming the thermite directly at enemies; rather, you're better off aiming over their heads and setting the stuck projectile alight with your gun, raining a shower of white-hot flames onto them — though admittedly this strategy would feel considerably more effective if the machine gun weren't so tragically imprecise that trying to shoot the thermite package you'd teed up to detonate feels like a roll of the dice.

I suppose the gross inaccuracy of the weapons is meant to tie the game back to its setting; as the game's title indicates, The Order takes place in the year 1886, and the player's squad consists of a group of immortals wielding technology well beyond the limits of the era. A lousy handheld machine gun in 1886 (with a thermite grenade attachment) was better than anything anyone else had, so we soldier on.

The hit reactions seem solid tbh, but a few of the pistol bullets do seem like they don't have as much or any impact as they should, till the killing blow, whereas in another segment where he's defending as they're dragging the injured guy through the street, the enemies react great, so I guess they're still tweaking and polishing these things.

When it comes to previews I tend to believe the negatives, because nost of the times outlets are overly positive and optimistic. I'm especially inclined to believe the negative views when they directly line up with what I'm seeing in the video.

Regardless, I'm still very hyped for this game, and I'm glad it's got another 9 months in the oven, because that's a lot of time to make improvements.

Sorry if already mentioned, but did anyone else notice the guy blow up from the lightning gun at the begining of the kotaku footage? Right at 14 seconds in. That mist of blood looks awesome!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sorry if already mentioned, but did anyone else notice the guy blow up from the lightning gun at the begining of the kotaku footage? Right at 14 seconds in. That mist of blood looks awesome!
Yep. I'm that's why I have hope that they'll be working on the hit reactions and feedback quite a bit before release. Add in good reactions, dismemberment, and gibs and the gunplay seems like it would improve considerably.

When it comes to previews I tend to believe the negatives, because nost of the times outlets are overly positive and optimistic. I'm especially inclined to believe the negative views when they directly line up with what I'm seeing in the video.

Regardless, I'm still very hyped for this game, and I'm glad it's got another 9 months in the oven, because that's a lot of time to make improvements.
I think this game is likely to be focusing on gameplay from here on out. The engine and effects work seems mostly done, aside from dealing with the tearing. We probably won't be seeing much visual improvement but they're definitely going to make good use of that time.

Yep. I'm that's why I have hope that they'll be working on the hit reactions and feedback quite a bit before release. Add in good reactions, dismemberment, and gibs and the gunplay seems like it would improve considerably.

Aw man, I can't wait to see more!

spwolf

I think this game is likely to be focusing on gameplay from here on out. The engine and effects work seems mostly done, aside from dealing with the tearing. We probably won't be seeing much visual improvement but they're definitely going to make good use of that time.

it seems they already focused on gameplay, despite that interview... in gametrailers interview, their design guy talked 99% about gameplay, and that was 11 minute video.

MrBS

As far as 'man with gun' covers go I like that one.

Too much hype for other games between now and 2015 so I'll be back for the hype train later ;)

nib95

Banned

My guess is they were using it like a traditional point and shoot type of weapon. It's not meant to be used like that. You spray the thermite above or around the enemies, behind or above their cover, then ignite for mass carnage.

I reckon these guys just sprayed and prayed and hoped it would either break through cover, or would be effective without tactical use of the thermite ignition. It's the only reason I can think as to why most felt it was devastating and extremely fun to use whilst others felt it was too weak.

I mean, from all the video footage and GIF's, we can see ourselves it looks incredibly powerful, but has to be used effectively.

spwolf

Rembrandt

Banned
My guess is they were using it like a traditional point and shoot type of weapon. It's not meant to be used like that. You spray the thermite above or around the enemies, behind or above their cover, then ignite for mass carnage.

I reckon these guys just sprayed and prayed and hoped it would either break through cover, or would be effective without tactical use of the thermite ignition. It's the only reason I can think as to why most felt it was devastating and extremely fun to use whilst others felt it was too weak.

I mean, from all the video footage and GIF's, we can see ourselves it looks incredibly powerful, but has to be used effectively.

"His machine gun spray missed more often than it hit at medium distances, and given that his opponents could already soak up tons of bullets before going down, it ultimately made the demo's shootout into a fairly tedious and protracted affair."

and there's another preview that said even the thermite gun didn't kill the enemies automatically, along with the pistol seemingly barely doing damage.

spwolf

i think in polygon preview, they also mentioned that they switched it up - they shot the flare first and then rained destruction on that, which switched it up but was also very effective... so it is up to you how to use it, and it is not only usable in a single way.

Friggin game engine is utterly marvelous.

This is definitely a shoe-in for the best looking current-gen game when it comes out.

Outside of the remote chance some sort of surprise title, like the next Uncharted, is released prior.

spwolf

along with the pistol seemingly barely doing damage.

let me guess, you did not watch any of the videos, right? Too much work to watch them first before commenting?

Because you can aim and hit and kill with pistol, even single shot... it is all in the videos. Not sure what else would be expected from the dinky old pistol. If anything, like thermite gun, some people would complain it is tad too powerful, as you can shoot someone's leg from fair distance, something not actually possible with these pistols at all.

Rembrandt

Banned
thats pretty stupid, do they want machine gun to be accurate? I actually liked the fact it was not accurate at all, if it was, it would be too powerful...

also, they showed pistol gunplay where you could hit someone easily with the pistol, so that article is pretty dumb. In fact, people were saying that weapons were too powerful, and not opposite of that.

Who said they were too powerful?

While no-one can dispute that the game's graphics are hot, though, the feel of the gunplay leaves me cold. The weapons feel lightweight and the bullets they fire even lighter, and it seems the AI enemies don't always react to being shot with the force you'd expect.

The preview build is designed to showcase the Thermite Rifle, a weapon that fuses Ready at Dawn's take on technology and alternate history and has two modes of fire: one button sends out rounds of thermite that burst into clouds of flammable dust, the other fires flares to ignite the dust. To use the rifle effectively, you need to spray an area just above an enemy with thermite and then shoot the dust with flares, causing burning hot particles to rain down upon your foes - even if they're behind cover.

It's a nice idea, but the rifle, and the other weapons that have been shown so far, don't pack enough of a punch, and as a result there's a lack of intensity to killing bad guys. The two main combat sequences I plays don't live long in the memory, either, in part because they are pretty basic and involve little more than firing fluid in the general direction of the enemies before igniting it, but mainly because the environments in which they were set weren't particularly interesting.

The sidearm pistol was almost hilariously under-powered, and the iron pellets by themselves were mostly useless, also. In fact, it even took a couple fire showers to dispatch most enemies, as if being lit aflame once wouldn't be enough to make most people pack it in and call it a day.

Only Polygon (from the written previews) hinted at it being overly powerful.

let me guess, you did not watch any of the videos, right? Too much work to watch them first before commenting?

Because you can aim and hit and kill with pistol, even single shot... it is all in the videos. Not sure what else would be expected from the dinky old pistol. If anything, like thermite gun, some people would complain it is tad too powerful, as you can shoot someone's leg from fair distance, something not actually possible with these pistols at all.

lmao, salty, huh?

From destructoid:

With one of the character's hands tied up pulling a body, the demo forced us to use the pistol to fend off attackers. It was strange that in this segment, the pistol worked just fine and would drop enemies with one headshot, where mere minutes earlier it was almost like a toy gun.

One other point:

I'm still baffled why they are holding off on showing the "half breeds".

Its quite perplexing why they are being so reticent on these creatures given how prominent they were in the reveal trailer.

This raises two questions:

1) Do they not want to show them because they are somehow inextricably intertwined with the game's narrative and would mean spoilers?

2) How much of the game involves combating the "Half Breeds" vs, regular humans? According to the RAD, these beasts are the main peril to mankind. So shouldn't they be the main threat posed and encountered in the game? I wonder if this is going to be like the Last of Us where the non-human foes are not as prolific in the game, despite being the main menace and exigency in the world.

Top Bottom