• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: New screenshot found on SSM website!

Tux

Its possible the media and gamers will classify this as a shooter, because it will have shooting elements. RaD has stated they don't want the entire game to revolve around shooting though. They seemed really concerned with pacing and "mixing things up". They've mentioned a player will do 5 minutes of one thing, then 5 minutes of another, then 5 minutes of something else.

I expect a 10-12 hour game. I expect the shooting will be 'enhanced' for the next generation with soft body physics; .this will convey the power of the weapons and sense of environment. I expect new camera angle techniques not seen much in 3rd person game, OTS games as of yet. These guys worked on the God of War series and are working with SSM. if you've noticed anything about the trajectory of that series, its the evolution of camera placement to dramatize combat situations, emphasize scale, or heighten a scene. I fully expect the Order capitalize on these techniques. If I had to guess, I'd bet some of it will come into play with melee. Its this technique that I think they reference when they use 'filmic'. The transitioning from one mode of combat, or from one game mechanic to another, will be 'smoother' and have great presentation. Of course, we'll get a lot of narrative and character interactions.

They're going to vary it up mechanic-wise, while at the moment there doesn't appear to be any platforming, I'd bet along with the shooting, you'll get some investigation/contained exploration, melee, light stealth, horror, maybe some chase scenes. I suspect people will call it a shooter, but the pacing will make it feel like much more. Very excited for it.

I hope it's not a 10-12 hour game. It should be as long as TLOU (18-22).

Tux

Are you stating that all white people look alike?
I too was plagued by this problem in my younger days but no more.

Each character's brow structure, nose and facial dimensions are different as well. Character models in today's high end game design world are incredible sophisticated. Developers who push an art style that centers on realism will never present lead modeling with similar facial structures. In short when you're investing this much into a game you don't skimp on your leads (never); however, random NPC horse buggy drivers on the way out of town is in play (always).
Typical character distinction short cuts use tactics such as: bald guy versus full head of hair/skinny guy versus big hulking dude or glasses guy versus.. well that kinda sums it up.
With the Order, RAD went with a design that has incredible (realistic) facial variety. If they are applying the proportional amount of care to the remaining assets then I think we all will be very impressed.

With that said; I will give you that each model has two eye, a mouth and brown hair; and that can be kinda confusing when differentiating through the eyes of an intergalactic species :)

Good to know that what some developers do. But the bone structure and facial models is exactly what I was referring to. I ignored the superficial mustache, and beard.

All you do is take a base model, then add a age (wrinkles), adjust the forehead a bit, and maybe adjust the lips. That's what it seems like they did with the three men instead of starting from scratch, three unique facial models.

Be aware that if the game turns out to be just like those photos it's not that big a deal. I just feel that since I was questioned on my comments that I needed to clarify. Even though you add facial hair or some aging, doesn't mean I can't see through to the base model. I can see similarities. Maybe the backstory will reinforce the reason they characters look the way they do. I know someone mentioned that maybe they could add a blonde hair to one of the characters. Maybe there some rule/code or regional blood line that would go against the grain? Shrug? Either way, this is not a deal breaker in anyway.

Tux

TLOU was 11-12h game for me [Normal].

I'm waiting for PS4 version, there I will get more hardcore difficulties.

Most of the reviews talk about 14-16 hour playthoughs. IGN took 17 hours. This was not a quick game. Not like those old shooters that took 6-10 hours.

I took 18-20 hours since I like to collect all items and listen to all interactions. Played on Survival mode three times. First survival mode took the longest.

Most of the reviews talk about 14-16 hour playthoughs. IGN took 17 hours. This was not a quick game. Not like those old shooters that took 6-10 hours.

I took 18-20 hours since I like to collect all items and listen to all interactions. Played on Survival mode three times. First survival mode took the longest.
Honestly don't expect The Order to be this long. 10-12 hours sounds about right.

lame screen shots. I am excited about the physics engine in this game and the trailer looked awesome.

Still really unsure about the game itself though. Its cool that you get to engage in gunfights in this game and I hope it doesn't turn into Dead Space 1886 halfway through the game.

Tux

This. U2 was also that long, even though its story and gameplay were so awesome that time flew by. :D

That's true. When you are having fun time flies. But I felt that same thing when playing for 18 hours. Time flew! But I didn't want the game to end since the story was sooo good. :>

luca_29_bg

"We have some interesting hair physics prototypes (for beards too!), not sure it’ll make it into the game – maybe… : )" O_________________________________O

Wait, animated hair for all four characters ? If so ps4 is a monster...but i can't believe they will have all individual strands for hairs! O__O

You must have been going for a speedrun amigo! I clocked in over 20 hours on my first playthrough, although admittedly, I was really OCD when it came to searching every nook and cranny for items I could scavenge.

I hope The Order is 15+ hours at least.

viveks86

BTW did anyone notice that the first 2 images in the OP are gone from the website? They took it down! Andrea Pessino wasn't kidding when he said they didn't want people to see it!

nib95

Banned

Took me like 23+ hours lol. I hope The Order is at least 15 hours. Fed up of overly short campaigns in games.

Chabbles

5xExV3Y.png

Thats no different then saying, "some time in the future". Damn i want to see this game in action. I get the impression from the screens, that its going to be very linear. Not necessarily a bad thing, replaying lastlight right now since its free on psPlus, and thats a damn fine game, linear as it is. I just want to kill some werewolfs, and im almost done with lastlight, a new game with werewolfs is in order.

viveks86

Took me like 23+ hours lol. I hope The Order is at least 15 hours. Fed up of overly short campaigns in game.

Took me about that long as well! Played it on hard and I was obsessed with clearing certain areas with stealth only. Used to deliberately run in the line of fire or restart from checkpoint if I got detected! :D

boinx

Took me like 23+ hours lol. I hope The Order is at least 15 hours. Fed up of overly short campaigns in game.

Wow, you really took your time exploring every nook and cranny didn't you? 11h for me and i wasn't even rushing.

viveks86

The source is this very thread, lol.

LOL thanks Gribble but...

And it goes full circle ^_^;;;;

Oh :(

I just thought this was new, searched for a thread, and posted it!

edit: Come to think of it, I thought I'd read that somewhere else LOL

FWIW, this part is new:

Andrea Pessino

@omek90 we have some interesting hair physics prototypes (for beards too!), not sure it'll make it into the game - maybe... :)

I had read that a while ago, but didn't want to bump the thread just for a "maybe". Now that we are here… :)

Thus far i'm really liking what i see. Lot's of attention to character design, physics, atmosphere, animation. Nice. Good art-direction too as far as i can tell from the limited media.

And sure, there will be a lot of shooting in the game. But if the shooting is done right, i don't mind at all. Hopefully some great weapons that are fun to use and listen too.

I hope it's not a 10-12 hour game. It should be as long as TLOU (18-22).

Very few games can maintain their pacing and variety over 15+ hours. I'd much rather The Order was more tightly paced and coming in at 10-12 hours. However, I also hope there are some areas which aren't linear corridors, which could throw the notion of a set time out of the window. Maybe you can return to The Order's headquarters for some scouting and optional content between missions or something. No doubt it would either be an underground location underneath London, or a Stately Home in the English countryside.

Very few games can maintain their pacing and variety over 15+ hours. I'd much rather The Order was more tightly paced and coming in at 10-12 hours. However, I also hope there are some areas which aren't linear corridors, which could throw the notion of a set time out of the window. Maybe you can return to The Order's headquarters for some scouting and optional content between missions or something. No doubt it would either be an underground location underneath London, or a Stately Home in the English countryside.

I wonder if there will be multiplayer...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thus far i'm really liking what i see. Lot's of attention to character design, physics, atmosphere, animation. Nice. Good art-direction too as far as i can tell from the limited media.

And sure, there will be a lot of shooting in the game. But if the shooting is done right, i don't mind at all. Hopefully some great weapons that are fun to use and listen too.

I'm really excited about the weapons. Electricity guns, thermite grenades, it really sounds like they're making Insomniac style weapons with Gears style shooting, with a serious, awesome setting and highly destructible environments. Such a great and promising combo.

FJiPsav.jpg

new info rad plx.
Dem muttonchops

I like the way the screen is oriented here. Looks like you can see your character and clearly around the corner as well. Definitely using the wider FoV of the anamorphic presentation well.

Seems like there is more metal armor on his shoulders than before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stop being so smug you bastards and show us the damn game!

With a tease like this and their comments about doing a crunch on the game recently, I would be shocked if we were more than a couple weeks away from finally seeing it. No need to be crunching 8-9 months before launch if you're not getting a demo ready.

Niwa

I'd love to know more about this game, I see screenshots pop up here and there but those don't really raise my interest as they look pretty standard tps like. :( What's the thing that hypes the most people about the game, not counting the interesting setting, as I'm already aware of that.

Prelude.

I'd love to know more about this game, I see screenshots pop up here and there but those don't really raise my interest as they look pretty standard tps like. :( What's the thing that hypes the most people about the game, not counting the interesting setting, as I'm already aware of that.
I'm moderately hyped basically just because of this: (concept art)

RLkGJNA.jpg

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Setting is the main one but Ghost of Sparta is a major factor for me. I loved that game and thought it was even better than most of SSM's GoW games. The fact that they pulled that off on the PSP and were able to fill in a stopgap interquel with the best story in the series makes me really excited to see what kind of things they can do with PS4 and with a story and lore all their own. The team seems very excited about this game in a way I haven't seen in a long time. I'm really rooting for this game to be a success because I think RAD is ready to step up to the big leagues.

Salz01

Did anybody mention if they are trying to achieve the detail found in the games concept art? Those images were good, moody and detailed. Is that what their target is?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Did anybody mention if they are trying to achieve the detail found in the games concept art? Those images were good, moody and detailed. Is that what their target is?

Yes. One of Eurogamer's previews mentioned pedestrians as well.

image-5be86a87-d772-4d34-85a8-ea4d2695169e.jpg

Couldn't they have diversified some of these characters? It's like three of the same dude and their female equivalent busting through the door here.

Well, the setting and characters do go a long way in establishing the mood and building the world. These things matter. For the the record, I love a good TPS, it's a really fun genre if done right.
RAD is a developer with an excellent track record, I'm really curious about the implementation of soft-body physics and other graphical wizardry, the weapons sound really fun and it seems to have an interesting plot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
http://sms.playstation.com/media/games/screenshot/image-5be86a87-d772-4d34-85a8-ea4d2695169e.jpg[IMG]

Couldn't they have diversified some of these characters? It's like three of the same dude and their female equivalent busting through the door here.[/QUOTE]

The two guys in the middle look very similar there but the older guy and the woman are distinct, except for the uniforms. Other shots they look quite a bit different, I think that shot is just taken at an unfortunate angle that makes those two look closer than they do.

"We have some interesting hair physics prototypes (for beards too!), not sure it’ll make it into the game – maybe… : )" O_________________________________O

Wait, animated hair for all four characters ? If so ps4 is a monster...but i can't believe they will have all individual strands for hairs! O__O
Oh individual strands for character hair will definitely happen this gen. Better solutions than TressFX will be found.

You must have been going for a speedrun amigo! I clocked in over 20 hours on my first playthrough, although admittedly, I was really OCD when it came to searching every nook and cranny for items I could scavenge.

Took me 20+ hours as well. But I really think The Order won't be this long. I doubt it will have exploration that is as rewarding as in TLoU.

We all have different play styles right? I always take things slow during my first play through, TLOU took me 14h49m during my first play through and on my speed run(6th play through) I beat the game in 5h48m.

Top Bottom