• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: New screenshot found on SSM website!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I know we're all excited about screen caps but, can anyone date these? For all we know this stuff is older than E3.

The black bars are deliberate AFAIK. They're going for a "filmic" presentation.

Someone needs a good smack across the head then. I understand 'artistic integrity' but this is just dumb and adds far more faults then any sort of immersive benefits.

I understand that cinematography is a thing but it doesn't work when you the player is controlling the camera in game as it's just a hindrance. At least give us a option to turn it off during gameplay.

Yonafunu

Screens aren't doing anything for me anymore at this point. Especially screens that show nothing new. If they want people to get (stay) hyped, they have to show it off.

Dat totally out of place waist-height cover.

Is it really that out of place? It's not like there's 10 of these strewn across at equal distance. As you can see no one in this shoot-out is even using cover. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you're not just moving from cover to cover in this, until I'm proven wrong.

I really want to see this game in action and see what's the big deal about soft body physics and whatnot.

Yeah, you can see where they blocked off the exits straight down to funnel you through the level to the right (where the sandbag is).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Someone needs a good smack across the head then. I understand 'artistic integrity' but this is just dumb and adds far more faults then any sort of immersive benefits.

I understand that cinematography is a thing but it doesn't work when you the player is controlling the camera in game as it's just a hindrance. At least give us a option to turn it off during gameplay.

hmmm, im not so sure, you're often looking where the designers intend for you to look. i mean, we can see that it works well in the screenshots (yeah they were chosen but still), especially the roadie run one.

and an option to turn it off would take way the performance gains from having it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

What faults does it add?

Have you played the game? How is it ah inference?

And an option to turn it off would throw off the performance of the game.

Hah! Tons of new screens...still don't know what the goddamn enemies look like. Let the cat (or should it be dogs?) out of the bag already.

Mona

Banned

just to make sure we're on the same page, the bars aren't thrown in there just because, they are a byproduct of the game's aspect ratio. just saying if you didn't already know

as for me, i cant imagine i'll even notice the bars after 10 minutes of game time, its the same thing that happens when i watched Subbed Anime, i will have been so engrossed into the content that when i go to start up the next one and i'll see the subs and i'll be like "wait a minute...have these always always been subs?" because id be so into the episodes i'll completely forget im even reading text,

same goes for letterbox movies too, sometimes i'll be 1/2 way through a movie, and then suddenly they black bars will pop out of nowhere in my perception and i'll be like "wait a minute..have those bars always been there?"

Huh... It looks kinda like Gears, so I can't say I am massively excited.

I don't get why people are excited about this at all actually, the world is exciting until you think about it being a linear shooter. When this becomes an open-world RPG, or a sandbox adventure game I'll give a shit.

I wish I understood the hype.

Also still disappointed from when I thought this was going to be something historical.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The black bars are more distracting in screens than in gameplay as long as the game has a proper FoV and minimal HUD. I never noticed them in Beyond and they were the same size as this. They are an issue in Dragon's Dogma though because of the crowded HUD.

Mr-Joker

Banned
3rd person action adventure set in alternate 1800s London with monsters and supernatural stuff. From what it looks/sounds like it'll play ala gears/uncharted. Setting and story could be awesome, they keep harping on about this funky destruction/malleable tech they have, so gameplay could be pretty cool to if it pans out.

The bolded part doesn't interest me and is putting me off the game. But I will wait and see the gameplay footage and when the game releases.

This game needs to be in 16:9
I'm with you on this. The Order remains my second most anticipated game of this year (if it is a 2014 release), next to Destiny, but the letterboxing concept is so jarring to me. I didn't like it on Dragon's Dogma and I am certain I am not going to like it here.

Loudninja

Huh... It looks kinda like Gears, so I can't say I am massively excited.

I don't get why people are excited about this at all actually, the world is exciting until you think about it being a linear shooter. When this becomes an open-world RPG, or a sandbox adventure game I'll give a shit.

I wish I understood the hype.

Also still disappointed from when I thought this was going to be something historical.
How will those 2 genres be any different?

I never get the obsession with wanted everything to be open world.

I hope they have a demonstration of the environment physics soon, cause that's what I'm banking my tech hopes with this game on.

Isn't it already? Isn't that why there are black bars?
If you want to get technical, I still think the answer is "no." The game is not rendering anything behind the letterboxing. So, even though it's displayed on our 16x9 HDTVs, the actual resolution is 2.35 or 2.40 (I don't remember which it is for HDTVs) to 1.

Violater

I really want to see this game in action and see what's the big deal about soft body physics and whatnot.

Lol did they make pallets back then?
is that a hover pallet jack loaded with goods?

Hah! Tons of new screens...still don't know what the goddamn enemies look like. Let the cat (or should it be dogs?) out of the bag already.

I think one pic does show it... look at what the Protagonist is shooting at on the middle right
image-086e498e-e699-4ea9-b475-40166a341f13.jpg

Looks like a Werewolf howling with one foot perched on the ledge

What faults does it add?

Have you played the game? How is it ah inference?

Really you have to ask? Half of my freaking screen isn't being utilized for one. The other is obviously less fov.

The black bars are more distracting in screens than in gameplay as long as the game has a proper FoV and minimal HUD. I never noticed them in Beyond and they were the same size as this. They are an issue in Dragon's Dogma though because of the crowded HUD.
I immediately noticed them in beyond but that is basically a interactive movie and the camera is tightly controlled most of the time. So it does work in that instance.

hmmm, im not so sure, you're often looking where the designers intend for you to look. i mean, we can see that it works well in the screenshots (yeah they were chosen but still), especially the roadie run one.

and an option to turn it off would take way the performance gains from having it.

It looks fine in screen shots but is bewildering when you sit down to play the game and any added performance benefits isn't worth it when half my screen isn't being used.

something has been ready for a while now - I don't know when they'll unleash it
Certainly not your fault Demon; but I have recent memories of DriveClub footage being ready for release... to no avail. and that was over a month ago
Please Sony, drop some bombs

Looks great but the screens only reinforce my concerns that it will play just like hundreds of other games. I hope there is some kind of twist to the gameplay and that the environments are at least as big as the bigger ones in TLOU.

Top Bottom