• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

do we really need to use spoiler tags in a spoiler thread?

annoying to click through all messages as the whole point of the thread is to discuss the plotpoints openly? :p

The game isn't out yet. Not only that, well...yeah. The game isn't out yet, someone might click accidentally or want to see non-spoiler impressions.

arevin01

Alot of unresolved plot threads....but I think it was deliberately setting itself up for a sequel. That much is inevitable imo...this gmae should sell well after all the hype it has generated.

Also, I know talking about the game length is taboo here....but I checked all the chapters, at least 8 of the 16 chapters are 100% cutscenes with little but mostly no gameplay. Doesnt matter how fast you play the game, this fact does not change.

That said, I still think it is a fantastic game. Im a bit of a sucker for cinematic experiences.

Or perhaps even a prequel.
Isa does state Galahad isn't as good as he once was so perhaps we will play as a young Galahad.

The game isn't out yet. Not only that, well...yeah. The game isn't out yet, someone might click accidentally or want to see non-spoiler impressions.

pff, there's that "impressions" thread separately for that too. Tough cookies if you walk into this thread :p

Shooting stuff was fun and the thermite gun is a favourite. I could see myself playing through it a couple of times.

I liked the MGS3 style final pull of the trigger, but seemed like the game ended on a "to be continued" note and Galahad becoming Batman :D And yeah, many threads and characters were left hanging.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Think the lack of music is how the youtuber hasn't been hit with copyright claims.

Patapwn

I watched the walk though and have to say I'm very disappointed. They missed the mark big time here...

I'd say my biggest problem was the story didn't cover the kind of ground I was expecting. World building and character development was sorely missed... I think the gameplay will be fun enough to play around with but those red exploding barrels were archaic as fuck

The cinematic portion of the game that everyone has been fearing was pretty cool though.

Tainted

The biggest selling point by far is the graphics....I dont think anyone could look at this and not agree it is one beautiful game. It will be some time before another PS4 game will beat it in this regard

The gameplay though is fairly generic....it not doing anything special there that we havent seen before countless times. Some of the weapons look fun (ie the Thermite gun)....but I think this game is going to divide alot of people. Many will not be able to get past the short length and amount of unskippable cutscenes...but others will defend the graphics/atmosphere to the hilt.

Tainted

I'm surprised the playthrough is still up on YT....usually pre-release games are pulled almost immediately. I remember the shitfiught it was back in '13 trying to watch pre-release GTAV videos lol

Also: '"I know there are numbers out there," he said. "I know why the question comes up. I know numbers have been put out there that are actually not right. It's impossible to finish the game in that time, so we know the numbers are wrong."

....I guess that youtuber made the impossible possible then.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sounds like RAD spent more years creating the tools and assets for the graphics engine than making the game.

Dunno how i feel about that. I don't have anything against cinematic experiences, but you have to leverage that with appropriate storytelling and enough game in there to make it worthwhile to the player.

Weird how this game still has completely passive cutscenes with no control whatsoever for like 5 minutes straight. Even in a game like Beyond the active vs. passive ratio always hovers around 75/25. RAD could have done a better job here, even with their cinematic vision. Seems rushing affected the ending badly.

Seventy70

You know they must have fucked up when Rapier is saying that stuff about the game. If he thought it was like that, who knows what reviewers will say.

So there's a new run on YT with a guy who's picking up all the collectibles he comes across and is checking out every corner of the map. Comparing his total runtime up to the same point in his most recent upload with the guy who skipped all the collectibles and didn't check every corner, he's only ahead by 25 minutes.

Visceir

Do any of the QTEs offer meaningful changes to the game and make a difference or is it all just "press A for awesome!" or insta fail?

rrc1594

So there's a new run on YT with a guy who's picking up all the collectibles he comes across and is checking out every corner of the map. Comparing his total runtime up to the same point in his most recent upload with the guy who skipped all the collectibles and didn't check every corner, he's only ahead by 25 minutes.

lol no way link

T.O.P

Banned

:lol

OsirisBlack

Banned
Baffles me that people had playtime beyond 8 hours.[/SPOILER]

My second play through was 8 hours on hard with a break so that's about right.

Story rip snip

I rather enjoyed the story but felt it left too much unanswered. I think some of it is rather obvious as
black water is obviously vampire blood
some omissions felt rather odd and I guess they will be answered in the inevitable sequel.

entremet

do we really need to use spoiler tags in a spoiler thread?

annoying to click through all messages as the whole point of the thread is to discuss the plotpoints openly? :p

It makes no sense honestly. I was hoping there would be no need for clicking through all this text.

It's not really a spoiler thread at all.

Do any of the QTEs offer meaningful changes to the game and make a difference or is it all just "press A for awesome!" or insta fail?
No. Its not really branching at all like Heavy Rain for example. The moments where you can even choose between 2 options during a QTE fight I can count on one hand. For the others its succeed or die (and instant retry).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Definitely another speedrun.... /s

Almost hopped onto the hype train for this one.

WGMBY

Guess I should ratchet down my hype a bit for this game. I'll still probably play it, but it would have been nice to hear that there was more substance before release.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Have you tried a second playthrough yet? Perhaps, like Max Payne 3, it makes more sense knowing what occurs?

Yeah, but its no use.

The story feels like it was salvaged from something much bigger, then stitched together.

Alienous

Yeah, but its no use.

The story feels like it was salvaged from something much bigger, then stitched together.

With a title for a first game like The Order: 1886, I guess that's to be anticipated. It's a story in their much larger universe.

Apparently the universe has a great amount of lore and history. Like, RAD developed it over years ever since they were making PSP games. So perhaps this game feeling like a smaller part of a bigger whole is a symptom of that?

Can anyone comment on the armory section (seen it listed in options) ? What does it do ?

How do you choose pre-order outfits and weapons ? Can you wear them anytime in all chapters ? Same question goes for pre-order weapons.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
With a title for a first game like The Order: 1886, I guess that's to be anticipated. It's a story in their much larger universe.

Apparently the universe has a great amount of lore and history. Like, RAD developed it over years ever since they were making PSP games. So perhaps this game feeling like a smaller part of a bigger whole is a symptom of that?

Idk... It may be just my opinion, but it's a symptom of bad writing and poor character development when the story comes and goes without building any form of connection to the driving motives and stakes of the plot and the characters that inhabit it. Sort of like popping in the middle of a movie that's already done it's initial exposition and leaving before the tying up of all the plot strands. You're just sort of blank after the credits roll...

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
So I just finished the game...

My biggest issue with the game/story was that
they first let you see that Galahad "betrayed" the Order and then have most of the game set before that. I mean what is the biggest problem with prequels? Yes, that you know what happens at the end and it felt like that half the game.

Secondly I was not able to build a real connection to Galahad as I wished. He isn't a bad character but as Rapier said it feels like "Sort of like popping in the middle of a movie". Furthermore I wished there would have been more interaction with Lady Igraine and Lafayette than just in the couple of missions.

Then the end... It's actual quite good imo but there are so many things unanswered/unsolved that it's a little bit frustrating that we have to wait for the sequel.

One thing that I really liked was the gunplay. The guns feel amazing, their sounds are great and the soft-body physics made it really fun to mess around with the enemies (like shooting them in the leg). Easily the best 3rd person gunplay for me yet.

I just finished watching this:
Wow, what an anti-climactic turd. The story had promise but completely fell apart.

Why was the company shipping vampires around? Who were the rebels rebelling against? Will Izzy ever know the truth? Does anyone even know or care that there is a vampire running the company? Galahad's whole fucking struggle ends up being a lost cause. Good job, you killed one werewolf

Completely pathetic that they are going to release this short, half-baked turd for full price.

The weapon variety was pathetic, there were no upgrades, enhancements, unlockables, or anything. The gameplay sections were sparse and repetitive with some of the worst AI I've ever seen. There were two stealth sections with insta-death failstates and the rest of the game is just weird, stilted cutscenes. There were a handful of occasions where you actually fight wolves and that just consists of them running at you, taking a swipe and running away. When fighting the elder wolves, it was a slow QTE, of which there were only TWO in the whole game (one of which served as the final boss).

And after all that struggle, all that tedium, the game doesn't give you anything near a satisfying conclusion. Can't wait The Order: Episode 2. Or I might just wait for the complete season and watch it all on youtube one night.

Tainted

I will just say, if The Order:1886 had been a feature length movie instead of a game...it would not have been particularly interesting

The graphic fidelity is mindblowing though and the gameplay/weapons look fun.

nib95

Banned
So I just finished the game...

My biggest issue with the game/story was that
they first let you see that Galahad "betrayed" the Order and then have most of the game set before that. I mean what is the biggest problem with prequels? Yes, that you know what happens at the end and it felt like that half the game.

Secondly I was not able to build a real connection to Galahad as I wished. He isn't a bad character but as Rapier said it feels like "Sort of like popping in the middle of a movie". Furthermore I wished there would have been more interaction with Lady Igraine and Lafayette than just in the couple of missions.

Then the end... It's actual quite good imo but there are so many things unanswered/unsolved that it's a little bit frustrating that we have to wait for the sequel.

One thing that I really liked was the gunplay. The guns feel amazing, their sounds are great and the soft-body physics made it really fun to mess around with the enemies (like shooting them in the leg). Easily the best 3rd person gunplay for me yet.

Didn't catch this post before, thanks for the impressions. Very happy to see more gunplay praise though. It is after all one of the key components of a third person shooter, so if they've nailed that bit they've done something right.

Top Bottom