• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

benzy

What I was looking at was even when he dodges, he can't turn quick enough to engage. He's trying to turn and hit them up close but the character moves too slow. He ends up staying in the corner when he realizes that he can't turn quick enough.

The turning speed is fine from what I saw, even more apparent in sections where he isn't attacking. It just seems he's really bad at aiming.

OneLetter

The turning speed is fine from what I saw, even more apparent in sections where he isn't attacking. It just seems he's really bad at aiming.

Note: You can adjust some options if you're moving too fast or too slow, as the default sensitivity settings are what was determined based on focus / expo demos / internal feedback.

o Look Sensitivity – Adjust how quickly the player turns
o Aim Sensitivity – Adjust how quickly the player turns when aiming
o Scope Sensitivity – Adjust how quickly the player turns when scoped

This will be found in Settings >> Controls once you get the game.

Note: You can adjust some options if you're moving too fast or too slow, as the default sensitivity settings are what was determined based on focus / expo demos / internal feedback.

Much appreciated! Will tweak accordingly!

Great to see that flexibility. Options are always a good thing!

viveks86

Phew! Thanks!

You didn't answer the one question I asked, though :'(

Can you comment on whether we have any option to hide contextual button prompts after the first time we are instructed?

I'll take no for an answer. I promise :)

benzy

Awesome.

Hopefully we can also turn off the contextual prompts to have a more immersive second playthrough since we already know which buttons to press? :)

EDIT - beaten.

Mr. F

Banned
Any indication on the level design variety? I haven't seen much on the game but the bits I have for the combat encounters looked to be a bit on the narrow/linear corridor shooter side. Are there larger, more open areas in and out of combat?

Wakka212

Finally got around to seeing part 4. Haven't seen any other spoilers but I just had to see what the fuss was about regarding this particular section.

Although I can see where many are coming from, I think the guy playing is more at fault here.

The dodge prompts and enemy attack patterns makes this arena-style battle more than fair. The level design affords much more movement than the player was taking advantage of and he simply wasn't trying to vary his tactics enough...that area demands a mix of consistent movement, aiming, and running and gunning.

His play style made that segment seem like a painful chore to get through. Many of TLOU battles could look just as janky if a player doesn't take advantage of the options the game offers.As long as the character movement isn't too sluggish, and it appears it isn't, this battle should be quite enjoyable!

If this is so early in the game, I'm uber hyped for what else they have in store for us.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
What makes this game any different than Uncharted, why do people seem to hate it? Also, why do people tend to shit on new IPs. Isn't that what we want?

Wakka212

What makes this game any different than Uncharted, why do people seem to hate it? Also, why do people tend to shit on new IPs. Isn't that what we want?

I'd say Uncharted has quite a bit more platforming and less frequent cut scenes. Otherwise the story-telling focus and shooting mechanics seem similar.

The order isn't trying to re-invent game play mechanics, rather it's trying to re-frame them into a cinematic context and compelling world. For me that enhances the moment to moment game play and makes the game feel unique.

I feel like people are less and less accepting of innovation in games beyond game play mechanics. Games are so much more than that now. Hence why games with great game play mechanics are still judged for writing, graphics, story, performances, etc. For every cinematic and linear TPS, there is a gameplay focused bare bones title, or open world title, or indie story-focused title, etc. Enjoy the variety people!

Fjordson

I feel like there's even more of a focus on story telling here than in Uncharted (though Uncharted sucks in my opinion).

It doesn't bother me, hell I play modern Telltale games, but I can see why it turns some people off.

RefigeKru

Banned
Some screens from the leaked vids. Nothing too spoilery.

TheOrder1886-76.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-25.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-20.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-26.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-4.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-41.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-43.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-46.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-67.jpg~original

RkkeIr3.png

Skux

There are purists who absolutely hate, haaaaate, the idea of anything "cinematic" and that using any conventions from film is an atrocity, that "gaming should define itself on its own terms" and other phrases like that. You'll find a lot of them on GAF, which has a very traditional, hardcore reputation. They believe that gameplay should be the top priority and that story-based games that function mainly through QTEs, atmosphere, and decision making don't count as "real games" (see various shitposting on games like The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, Journey, Life is Strange, etc).

It's a silly belief which limits the capabilities of the medium. Games need context and stories and settings, or else we might as well be moving wireframe sprites across a blank screen. And luckily there are people in the industry like David Cage and thatgamecompany and Telltale who have shown that there is a space for story-based experiences in the industry.

Harmen

Also, looking at that first hour, I will love this game a lot. Captivating intro, stellar atmosphere and shooting looks like some good old TPS fun. I will not watch anything else and look forward to playing it and hope there are plenty of surprises the subsequent 10-11 hours or so :)

Skux

Holy shit. I just realised the player totally forgets about the rifle alt-fire, which shoots a burst of air. You can most likely use this to keep the lycan at bay when it rushes you.

Spittyball

Neo Member

Did people really think this wasn't part of the game? I'll definitely be adjusting all of these, especially for the slower sections like the Lycan fight.

Additionally the Lycan fight shown seems to echo back to the Stalker fights in the Dead Space series and they were always pulse pounding and fun. Slow player with limited resources against several fast creatures. It's a sort of juxtaposition between player and enemy imo.

shandy706

The game looks so good! But the guy playing was terrible, was painful to watch.

Seems to be the norm every time I watch early gameplay of games, lol.

"However, there were a few things that we didn’t really like. For one, The Order 1886 has a brand new world, lots of characters, lots story (and back story), which means there needs to be a lot of cut scenes to explain everything. And there are a lot of cut scenes in the game, especially in the beginning.

Another thing we wished there was less of are quicktime events. These [QTEs] have been rampant in games over the past few years, and The Order 1886 follows this trend. The quicktime events in The Order 1886 are well done, but somehow always managed to take us out of the story as opposed to immersing us further into the game and its world." - PS4daily.com

I suppose people that don't like long/a lot of cutscenes and QTE haters will want to avoid this.

KKRT00

Real time direct lighting and shadows in pretty much most scenes, cube map image based lighting for local indirect specular stuff, dynamic characters use this weird reflection system showed first in Remember Me. Other than that I have no specific idea. The indirect lighting from the sun while they are inside or under ledges appears baked, but it is hard to tell from this video, it could just be really great IBL placement,

But the one thing that wasn't hard to tell was baked shadows and stuff when he is in a few of the court yards. You can tell because character shadows start getting odd as well as the baked shadows being really diffuse instead of sharp like the real time ones.

All in all I think the lighting in the game is good though. Just wish I could see some native footage.
Yeah, they bake all lighting for static geometry, slide 12
http://mynameismjp.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rad_gdc_2014.pptx

I haven't read the thread because I don't know how many spoilers are here so I'm gonna post a BIG spoiler, the only one I know because I just watched it on UStream.

Again, BIG SPOILER HERE!

Chapter (I think it was 5), remember the demo at PSX? the one with the zeppelin? well, after all that sequence it ends with an explosion. Next chapter starts with Galahad on the ground with the zeppeling destroyed and on flames, the brief chapter ends with Galahad finding the corpse of Sr Percival, after that there is meeting with the Order to give him the proper farewell.

I won't see anything else about this game, this was the morphine I was needing.

The animation is a bit of a let-down, imo. You have what looks to be the most impressive visual showcase of any platform, except its impact is significantly lessened by the way your character moves on screen.
I was also a tad disappointed by some disjointed gameplay to cut-scenes transitions. I am thinking specifically of the one where Galahad runs towards the elevator to join Lady Igraine, which triggers a cinematic in the most abrupt way imaginable. It was quite shocking, actually.
Put me in the wait and see camp...

ced

I haven't read the thread because I don't know how many spoilers are here so I'm gonna post a BIG spoiler, the only one I know because I just watched it on UStream.

Again, BIG SPOILER HERE!

Chapter (I think it was 5), remember the demo at PSX? the one with the zeppelin? well, after all that sequence it ends with an explosion. Next chapter starts with Galahad on the ground with the zeppeling destroyed and on flames, the brief chapter ends with Galahad finding the corpse of Sr Percival, after that there is meeting with the Order to give him the proper farewell.

I need to watch the intro again but I thought he was there at the flashback part?

Again, BIG SPOILER HERE!

uggh should not have read this.

i-Lo

Some screens from the leaked vids. Nothing too spoilery.

*Some screens from the leaked vids. Nothing too spoilery*

Bro, bruv, breh.... *wipes sweat from brow*

Hopefully, we'll get this kind of visuals on open world RPGs on the next gen hardware.

Didn't andrea say that some reviewer already finished the game? I think they are going out after all.

I know overseas I think some are getting it. As for in the US. I've not heard a peep of folks getting theirs yet and my sites Sony contact has been quite as a mouse.

viveks86

I know overseas I think some are getting it. As for in the US. I've not heard a peep of folks getting theirs yet and my sites Sony contact has been quite as a mouse.

Interesting... so you aren't aware of an embargo date either (assuming that is communicated as part of the review package)?

Interesting... so you aren't aware of an embargo date either (assuming that is communicated as part of the review package)?

Nope and a few folks I've talked to have said they don't know of one nor have their copies yet either so, take that as you will. All I was told via twitter from OneLetter was a video link for "Patience" by Guns and Roses LOL

viveks86

Nope and a few folks I've talked to have said they don't know of one nor have their copies yet either so, take that as you will. All I was told via twitter from OneLetter was a video link for "Patience" by Guns and Roses LOL

Lol. At least he has good taste...

Top Bottom