• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886: Official spoiler thread for all black bars

Watching chapter 15 now. With such a good looking game the lack of tessellation just stands out like a sore thumb. i wish these consoles could do it properly. This game with real tessellation on the bricks would look amazing. Instead its just a flat wall texture of brick :/

Looks ok to me.

ced

You're missing 4 chapters, not 2. There are 18 chapters including the epilogue and prologue. And if you're playing the game without doing any of the other stuff, that's akin to a speed run. I don't get why anyone would play it like that unless they basically intentionally wanted to rush through it.

As I mentioned before, you can complete Gears of War in an hour and a half, doesn't mean that's how much gameplay there is. Likewise with Uncharted at 1 hour, or Resident Evil 4 at 1 hour and a half too.

Don't waste your time, people are being idiots.

We already have 3 GAF members who completed it in the 10-13 hour range.

G_Berry

Banned
Game length and all that other shit aside, for people that have finished the game, do you feel like it's worth another play through?

whats with devs lately having
the final boss battles as qte
, have they forgot how to make a game or get lazy and say "ah fuck it"

Not aimed at The Order, which is enough bad with this, but generally devs move to "press A for AWESOME!" direction when it comes to boss fights. They want people with no skill to beat them and talking on twitter, facebook "man, did ya beat Game X? I sure reckt that end sonovabitch today!" and put some youtube clip of the ending.

It is the general direction of AAA gaming.

Luckily BLOODBORNE exists to wash this filth from us.

nib95

Banned
Looks ok to me.

It still looks great, but I do agree that tessellation would just give some of those walls that extra edge. Not to unrealistic or over the top brick proportions that you get with some parallax mapping implementation in certain games, but certainly something with just a touch more volume. It's something that stood out to me in the UC4 demo as well, where some of the rock geometry just isn't totally convincing. I'd imagine it'd be quite taxing to implement what he's asking for though.

As it is, The Order does a fairly solid job of applying nice textures to mask it.

TheOrder1886-25.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-20.jpg~original

Ground work pretty much never breaks the overall level of realism and immersion though.

1375003925-s2013-pbs-rad-slides-6.jpg

the-order-1886-012814-1.jpg

Order_City_SML.jpg~original

Wow....are they playable or just movies?

Its not completely cutscene as its got gameplay even though some of them has high ratio for cutscene and you will appreciate only when you play it but you will hate if listen to others.

I think that's fine as long as they clearly market it as a cinematic focused game. Which they pretty much did.

I agree, developers and sony has been marketing this as a cinematic experience so this game does same but people don't understand this new risk for game which combines both of them in good ratio. They can't understand this unless they try the game themselves as this is new take on game combining gameplay and cutscene in good ratio.

It isn't literally 80% cutscenes. I'm not going to argue if that's how it feels but I don't think there's even 3 hours of cutscenes in the game total.

It isn't literally 80% cutscenes. I'm not going to argue if that's how it feels but I don't think there's even 3 hours of cutscenes in the game total.

Yes, its not cutscene because user has to interact and some gameplay associated with it. Entire game feels like a movie in both action and cutscene so user has controls in everything with best of both solid TPS gameplay with action and this new cutscene gameplay, but people who share these info want to hurt this game by saying vague details without clarifying them.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
It still looks great, but I do agree that tessellation would just give some of those walls that extra edge. Not to unrealistic or over the top brick proportions that you get with some parallax mapping implementation in certain games, but certainly something with just a touch more volume. It's something that stood out to me in the UC4 demo as well, where some of the rock geometry just isn't totally convincing. I'd imagine it'd be quite taxing to implement what he's asking for though.

As it is, The Order does a fairly solid job of applying nice textures to mask it.

TheOrder1886-25.jpg~original

TheOrder1886-20.jpg~original

Ground work pretty much never breaks the overall level of realism and immersion though.

1375003925-s2013-pbs-rad-slides-6.jpg

the-order-1886-012814-1.jpg

Order_City_SML.jpg~original

Oh man imagining that floor with the water with tessellation and I am drooling!

thanks for those screens. Insane graphics with just one nitpick from me :D

-MD-

All of Chapter 10 is a 4-minute cut-scene...that's uh one way of dividing your game. :p

Chapters 6, 7, 10, 12, 13 & 14 are all ~5 minute cutscenes.

Not sure why they decided to make so many chapters a single cutscene, was it to pad the number of chapters?

Not sure why they decided to make so many chapters a single cutscene, was it to pad the number of chapters?

Yeah, from the stream I saw, it looked pretty short, but it was kinda like a movie (two movies really.)

nynt9

I don't understand why the game having cutscenes as chapters deflates anyone's hype. It was known that this game would be cinematic, and the number of chapters is totally arbitrary. We know the game is 10+ hours long, what's the problem here? Who cares how chapters are delineated?

T.O.P

Banned
I'm now 4.2 hours in. The game has been 80%ish cutscene so far.

I don't understand why the game having cutscenes as chapters deflates anyone's hype. It was known that this game would be cinematic, and the number of chapters is totally arbitrary. We know the game is 10+ hours long, what's the problem here? Who cares how chapters are delineated?

The walkthrough on YT ends at 5 hours and a half

Who said it's 10+ hours? i mean with proof

It can be "cinematic" without being stacked with cutscenes, and he said that chapters 12, 13 and 14 are "roughly" 5 minute cutscenes. That's three chapters in a row where there's apparently no gameplay, and what looks like by my math anyway at least over 10 minutes of watching cutscenes.

More like 5 and a half hours breh

Coin Return

Loose Slot

I know the popular troll is to call this game an "interactive movie", but that's exactly what it's turning out to be. It just doesn't appeal to me and I don't think it should be priced at $60.

I guess if it's true that the cutscenes aren't skippable then cutting the longer ones up into individual chapters is probably a good thing, you could skip them that way in replays instead.

Sid

I guess if it's true that the cutscenes aren't skippable then cutting the longer ones up into individual chapters is probably a good thing, you could skip them that way in replays instead.
I wonder if the game has long load times when a player selects random chapters....

Why people are so concerned about game length? We just need to look at how good the experience while it lasts but not how long it lasts. This game has atmosphere, story, sound, graphics and characters thats paid good attention by the developers to give the immersion. I don't see anybody giving attention or importance for these things for the price instead they ask gameplay and replayablity. If people want and think just gameplay and replay value is the worth for the price they pay then there are many games out there which does for them and ignore other games like its not your kind but don't try to troll or show your concern in bad way to hurt this game and spoil others experience.

I'll pick this up but for $60? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4t3EG8Pnco

I'ma need that price drop.

Haha, amazing.

Why people are so concerned about game length? We just need to look at how good the experience while it lasts but not how long it lasts. This game has atmosphere, story, sound, graphics and characters thats paid good attention by the developers to give the immersion.

It's not the actual length but rather the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay. I have no problem with short games if they're fun and especially if they're replayable, but if I'm having to watch cutscene after cutscene instead of actually playing the game, especially in a third person shooter, I mean I don't see how it's that hard to understand where the concern is coming from.

Why people are so concerned about game length? We just need to look at how good the experience while it lasts but not how long it lasts. This game has atmosphere, story, sound, graphics and characters thats paid good attention by the developers to give the immersion. I don't see anybody giving attention or importance for these things for the price they instead they ask gameplay and replayablity instead. If people want and think just gameplay and replay value is the worth for the price they pay then there are many games out there which does for them and ignore other games like its not your kind but don't try to troll or show your concern in bad way to hurt this game and spoil others experience.

$60.

ReNeGaDe124

http://psnprofiles.com/ReNeGaDe124

This guy platinum'd the game in 10 hours and 38 minutes.

I guess this is the final proof for this game's lenght, I'm going to cancel my pre-order right now.

(Sorry for quoting from another thread, but it was closed before I could post in it and I want to clarify things - hope it doesn't get me banned.)

Hi guys! :p

I'm gonna offer you a detailed breakdown of my playtime with the game since you brought me up into this discussion.

It took me almost 10 hours to finish the game (from 12:45 from 22:30) on normal mode without aim assist. But I also took a lunch break of almost 30 minutes and another small break of 15 minutes. So that's somewhere around 9 hours.

I got the first trophy after almost 2 hours of gameplay.

I didn't rush through the game at all. I explored every possible zone in the game. I have admired and took pictures (that gore picture that is around the internet is made by me, I even posted here on GAF). I listened to all pedestrians conversations. I got almost all collectables except for 2 (I would also like to point out that the game doesn't keep track of your collectables somewhere so I didn't know where to search for them). I even restarted some checkpoints intentionally where there were a lot of enemies to get some combat related trophies.

After finishing the game I took a 2 hour break I think. And then restarted the game on easy in order to find the missing collectables. After some chapters of playing I remembered a I didn't get to explore a room completely because a cinematic was triggered and it got me out of the room. Fortunately, the last collectables where in that room.

Yes, the game is pretty short. I think someone can even finish it in 7-8 hours on their first playthrough if they don't go after trophies/collectables, just following the objective.

If you guys have any other questions I am here to answer. :)

Is that so surprising? I mean, despite people hyping the game, it's consistent with what was shown.

It's propably a nice experience (background, story, ost, guns...), but doesn't justify the 60 bucks. 20 is more like it.

And of course the initial decisions of RaD can be discussed, as they went from GOW, a gameplay masterpiece, to this. But the result is consistent with everything they shown, so not much surprises here.

(Sorry for quoting from another thread, but it was closed before I could post in it and I want to clarify things - hope it doesn't get me banned.)

Hi guys! :p

I'm gonna offer you a detailed breakdown of my playtime with the game since you brought me up into this discussion.

It took me almost 10 hours to finish the game (from 12:45 from 22:30) on normal mode without aim assist. But I also took a lunch break of almost 30 minutes and another small break of 15 minutes. So that's somewhere around 9 hours.

I got the first trophy after almost 2 hours of gameplay.

I didn't rush through the game at all. I explored every possible zone in the game. I have admired and took pictures (that gore picture that is around the internet is made by me, I even posted here on GAF). I listened to all pedestrians conversations. I got almost all collectables except for 2 (I would also like to point out that the game doesn't keep track of your collectables somewhere so I didn't know where to search for them). I even restarted some checkpoints intentionally where there were a lot of enemies to get some combat related trophies.

After finishing the game I took a 2 hour break I think. And then restarted the game on easy in order to find the missing collectables. After some chapters of playing I remembered a I didn't get to explore a room completely because a cinematic was triggered and it got me out of the room. Fortunately, the last collectables where in that room.

Yes, the game is pretty short. I think someone can even finish it in 7-8 hours on their first playthrough if they don't go after trophies/collectables, just following the objective.

If you guys have any other questions I am here to answer. :)
Any other modes besides SP? I know there's no mp but any other modes? But any arenas or other replay incentives other than collectibles?

As long as the gameplay to cutscene ratio isn't like MGS4, I'll be okay. Funny that game was Neogaf GOTY yet The Order is getting trashed

Is that so surprising? I mean, despite people hyping the game, it's consistent with what was shown.

I don't really agree. Yes, they've shown cutscenes and it's known to be a "cinematic" game, but that doesn't mean anyone expected to be watching that many cutscenes during the game. Open with one, sure. Maybe transition between story points/environments, sure. But multiple chapters of the game in a row being nothing but cutscenes? Not even the likes of Uncharted does that. Gears of War has cutscenes too, but I think anyone would agree that you spend far, far more time playing than watching anything.

Top Bottom