• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

RAD's still a small studio, no? Maybe if they ramp up, I dunno. Games take a long time to make, these days. Even Call of Duty is on a 3 year cycle...
They're about 120-130 employees there. Not exactly small, but not huge either. From the conversations I've had, they spent a huge amount of time perfecting the engine for this initial installment. Time constraints came into play, goals slashed, but that's not really uncommon in development.

However, what has me most excited is that the main focus in a possible sequel are the gameplay systems. That's what was stated to me. The engine is in place and they're free to put all their efforts into gameplay design. And they want to do this, it isn't a result of any backlash over The Order's design, they as a team want that. By no means do they think the game's perfect as it is.

Apath

They're about 120-130 employees there. Not exactly small, but not huge either. From the conversations I've had, they spent a huge amount of time perfecting the engine for this initial installment. Time constraints came into play, goals slashed, but that's not really uncommon in development.

However, what has me most excited is that the main focus in a possible sequel are the gameplay systems. That's what was stated to me. The engine is in place and they're free to put all their efforts into gameplay design.
Will there be a sequel? I hope so.

Brydo0

Neo Member

However, what has me most excited is that the main focus in a possible sequel are the gameplay systems. That's what was stated to me. The engine is in place and they're free to put all their efforts into gameplay design. And they want to do this, it isn't a result of any backlash over The Order's design, they as a team want that. By no means do they think the game's perfect as it is.

I really hope they get the chance, given some feedback and time. Ultimately worried about the swirling hate around this game, which is needlessly quite venomous. From a future marketing standpoint, the name 'The Order' may be burnt ground.

antitrop

Sure, at least they have a AAA console title under their belt, now.

Most of my fears of a studio moving from portable to console development ended up coming to pass, but I remain highly optimistic for a sequel.

MattyG

Banned

I really hope they get the chance to do it. I can't see Sony bailing after one game, but we'll see.

Vasili2K38

I've played around 5 hours this weekend, and I'm fairly impressed with the game.. as I've been saying to few friends asking for impressions, its a solid TPS with amazing graphics and atmosphere, the game reminds me a lot of the Metal Gear games in presentation and attention to detail. And the story for now is more or less intriguing, I'm in the part
when you met the rebel leader
. No way this game deserves less than an 8/10, that's for sure.

antitrop

From a future marketing standpoint, the name 'The Order' may be burnt ground.

Only if it plans on going multiplatform... In reality, it really only matters how The Order is recieved by the potential market for a sequel, being Playstation owners and Playstation owners alone.

From what I've seen, most people who played the game seem to be interested in a sequel, even if they were disappointed with 1886 itself. The game's legacy has not yet been set in stone.

Robot Pants

I pretty much had this exact same post a few days ago. Obviously I agree and I REALLY think if they can get some of those new game mechanics worked out and fun, a dlc "episode" to bridge the gap between the first and second game would be really awesome.

ClearData

I'm rolling credits right at the moment but all I can say is I expect an uncharted 1 to uncharted 2 leap for (hopefully) a sequel. I already like this game and I can see the elements of future greatness.

Warms my heart to see so many people with positive impressions AND constructive criticism.

antitrop

I really hope they get the chance to do it. I can't see Sony bailing after one game, but we'll see.

At worst, they would repurpose the engine for something else.

It already seems like Sony has invested so much in this IP, that a sequel is all but guaranteed, almost regardless of sales.

hydruxo

I really hope they get the chance, given some feedback and time. Ultimately worried about the swirling hate around this game, which is needlessly quite venomous. From a future marketing standpoint, the name 'The Order' may be burnt ground.

Not only that, but there's
no telling what role the Order itself would play in a sequel considering Galahad is no longer a knight.

Rymuth

Pretty much what I thoght. They've laid the foundation for something great and a free to go balls to the wall crazy in the sequel.

antitrop

no telling what role the Order itself would play in a sequel considering Galahad is no longer a knight.

Good point, and I considered that myself. It's a hell of a spoiler, but it really is important to the future of the franchise.

Errr... actually, is that even a spoiler, since it's just what happens in the Prologue of the game?

MattyG

Banned
Do we know how old Galahad is? I dont recall seeing any hints or mentioning of it.
I assumed he was a couple hundred years old, maybe a century or two more.

Now that I think of it though, do they ever explicitly state how old anybody is? They seemed to keep it very vague.

IKizzLE

Seems like word of mouth from people who have played the game is positive.
I wonder if this translated to the rest of the general public and the game sold well?!

antitrop

Now that I think of it though, do they ever explicitly state how old anybody is? They seemed to keep it very vague.
Well, Marquis gives a pretty good description of the length of his life, at one point. Enough to get the point that he's "seen a lot of shit" across. Still vague, though.

Brydo0

Neo Member

It'll be interesting to see how they spin the title depending on where they plan to go with a sequel if they make one.

Seems like word of mouth from people who have played the game is positive.
I wonder if this translated to the rest of the general public and the game sold well?!

UK

Amazon - 2
Game - 1 on PS4 chart
Shopto - 1 and 7 (Blackwater Edition)

We'll get UK charts today, so we'll see how it's translated to sales.

It'll be interesting to see how they spin the title depending on where they plan to go with a sequel if they make one.

The Order can still play a prominent role, even if Galahad isn't a member. Maybe playing an Antagonist or, in some capacity, Galahad being reinstated.

The Epilogue makes that seem extraordinarily unlikely.

Absolutely, but the idea of an uneasy alliance to engage a bigger threat is definitely possible. I just can't see The Order not playing some sort of role in a sequel, either as antagonists or as some sort of partnership, although I could just as likely see Galahad being betrayed in such a situation.

hydruxo

Can anyone tell me how to use my knights arsenal stuff? Don't see the option for it.

You might have to close the game and reopen it for it to show up after you download it. After that it should be in the 'Armoury' section of the menu in-game. The outfits only change when it's "contextually" possible in missions though so for example if Galahad is wearing a dress shirt in one of the missions, he can't wear the DLC knight outfit.

Donthizz#

hmmm.. I remember someone mentioning that Lord Chancellor fought alongside Arthur.

GQd7gpP.gif

MattyG

Banned
The Epilogue makes that seem extraordinarily unlikely. Galahad went full Batman
Yeah, he's
not getting back with The Order, at least not before the end of the sequel. I have a feeling the sequel will be him trying to fight Lord Hastings and his attempts to spread the half-breeds/vampires, but doing it in the shadows so The Order doesn't find out. Galahad pursues Hastings, The Order pursues Galahad (not knowing it's him).

hmmm.. I remember someone mentioning that Lord Chancellor fought alongside Arthur.
Yeah, I think the Lord Chancellor mentioned it during one of his speeches. So he would be what, 1300-1400 years old? And I'd assume that all the others would be MUCH younger than him. Did any of the others mention specific events they've lived through? Like
Marquis mentioning the French and American Revolutions
?

Well, Marquis gives a pretty good description of the length of his life, at one point. Enough to get the point that he's "seen a lot of shit" across. Still vague, though.

The Lord Chancellor mentioned
at the funeral procession that Percival 'served with them for 6 centuries
', there's that at least.

ClearData

You might have to close the game and reopen it for it to show up after you download it. After that it should be in the 'Armoury' section of the menu in-game. The outfits only change when it's "contextualy" possible in missions though so for example if Galahad is wearing a dress shirt in one of the missions, he can't wear the DLC knight outfit.

Thanks.

Animator

I don't usually give a shit about dynamic themes since they mostly suck but bought the white chapel one after seeing a youtube demo of it and it owns. It even plays the awesome theme song from the game.

Eh, I'm actually not that worried.

In the first place, The Order : YEAR absolves the burden of it needing to have a numbering like The Order 2/3/4.

And an alternate history IP also means that if Galahad's part of the story ever got too 'damaged', they could say... jump back a millennia and temporarily turn the IP into a third-person medieval action game, with knights and swords. They've got experience with that too. ;)

It's not like Uncharted where they'd have to worry about it being a "Nathan Drake" story.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Epilogue makes that seem extraordinarily unlikely. Galahad went full Batman

I don't know about that, I bet
the old man was actually King Arthur or someone and the two of them are going to work together to take back The Order

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... is Lafayette based on a real person? I can't remember what he said his full name was at the
Knighting ceremony/funeral.

Definitely. He's the best (quickly followed by Lakshmi.)

Long ass name in the ceremony: Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette, Marquis de Lafayette

Same as the real person.

Which makes it very puzzling that
he looked as he did, since he should have been 109 years old at the time of the ceremony, but that was supposedly where he got his first taste of the black water

benzy

Do you know if there's a pretty good chance of a sequel or did that depend a lot on the reviews?

viveks86

You better be right about this Shinobi! :p No but seriously, I really want the sequel to this game. I get the feeling that because the story has presumably been pre-written to spread over numerous titles (guessing a trilogy), it will feel more cohesive as a whole, and have a bit more to it than is ordinary for these types of games. If the sequel is it's own story and doesn't carry on from The Order 1886, I'll be deeply disappointed.

If there is a sequel, it will absolutely not be its own story. I wouldn't be surprised if it literally continues from that final scene. I just hope they demonstrate how they have addressed shortcomings in all other aspects of the game. Story is the least of my worries. Now that the engine is ready, they should have plenty of time to focus on the content.

Reminds me of Uncharted, once all the groundwork was done they had a lot more time to make the sequel the best it could be!

Brydo0

Neo Member
Lafayette really had some great moments within the game.
When they are rendering a verdict on Galahad's innocence, Lafayette's pause was a nice touch. Not to mention the final brothel scene, one of my favourites from the entire game.

viveks86

That is comforting to know

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Lafayette was probably my favorite, too.

It helps that they found a great voice actor with the right accent, too. Totally sounded like a guy that learned English in America really well but still has somewhat of a French accent. I know a guy who sounds almost exactly like him.

Top Bottom