• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpyduck

Banned
I think review copies and ads in general should be completely separate from games reviewers. There's too much inbreeding going on in the games media

And ads for movies, music, books, TV should be removed from entertainment magazines and newspapers that also have reviews for those media, right? Again, the only thing dumber than his tweets (which someone smarter than him told him to delete) are people agreeing with it.

Kacho

lhb3pLv.png

Here's an implication that they should be, by the publishers themselves.

Oh man. That's so shameful. Looks like the tweets were deleted and understandably so.

Alienous

So a crap game gets a crap review score.

But because its a console exclusive we have people blaming everything under the sun that isn't the game.

Every single time this happens. Every single time.

No, you don't get it. The Last of Us was a great game that got a 95 Metacritic, and that's OK. But by that same token The Order: 1886 is a mediocre game that got a 65 Metacritic, but that can't be true.

I mean, I want to believe the opinions regarding The Last of Us whilst simultaneously dismissing the reviewer consensus on The Order: 1886. I can do that, right?

This thread is comedy gold.

When a game that someone likes doesn't agree with the score that reviewers give, people blame the reviewers for not playing the game correctly, being biased, being payed off, being bad in general. It's a joke. It's comedy gold. How about maybe the reviewers have been playing games for their jobs for years now and maybe have different img opinions than the general public? Maybe they are called CRITICS because they are payed to give their opinion on if a game is good or not? Literally, and I mean LITERALLY every single review thread is like this. It's fucking embarassing.

This thread is comedy gold.

When a game that someone likes doesn't agree with the score that reviewers give, people blame the reviewers for not playing the game correctly, being biased, being payed off, being bad in general. It's a joke. It's comedy gold. How about maybe the reviewers have been playing games for their jobs for years now and maybe have different img opinions than the general public? Maybe they are called CRITICS because they are payed to give their opinion on if a game is good or not? Literally, and I mean LITERALLY every single review thread is like this. It's fucking embarassing.

Did you play the game though?

11 minutes of QTE is 11 minutes too much.

And judging by the level of intellect displayed from that developer's tweet, it's no surprise that they probably thought their shit smelled like roses.
Dean Rymer didn''t work on The Order, as far as I know.

Did you play the game though?

No, but I know how opinions work. If I played the game, and liked it, I would not go on a tirade and call for reviewers to lose their jobs. I have opinions, and so does everyone else. Most reviewers from what I've seen disliked the game. That's fine. They have played thousands of games over the years and probably have higher standards and references than someone like myself who only plays a dozen games a year at maximum.

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. Here's my review:

http://passrentorbuy.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-order-1886-review.html
Black Sight. Relatively early on in the game, you're forced to use what is called "Black Sight." This is triggered by a tutorial that plays exactly once. During a rather hectic gun battle. And, despite repeating every other conceivable tutorial message ad nauseum throughout the rest of the game, this one never makes another appearance. Due to this, I never actually used the ability again. When I go back to get the platinum trophy (which is actually possible on a single play through), I'll have to learn how to use it.
I believe that button was L1.

Servbot24

Banned
Life is a lot less embarrassing when you just assume that reviewers are giving their honest opinions, which is true 99.9% of the time.

dEvAnGeL

So many people here calling a game bad because of someone else putting a NUMBER on it, shows the gamers landscape nowadays, spend more time on forums bashing something they never played than actually gaming, good times indeed

Derpyduck

Banned
11 minutes of QTE is 11 minutes too much.

And judging by the level of intellect displayed from that developer's tweet, it's no surprise that they probably thought their shit smelled like roses.

I don't think 11 minutes of QTEs alone makes it a bad thing. But when you combine it with the fact that literally one third of the game is essentially nothing more than a movie(that you can't skip), and you quickly see why some people would find this unacceptable. Especially given how unsatisfying the story is.

theofficefan99

I can understand why some people aren't into it, but I don't mind. It'll definitely be a game I'm going to pick up once I eventually get a PS4. The game looks like something I definitely want to experience. Plus, I don't have much experience with shooters at all so it won't feel like the "same old" to me.

Booshka

So many people here calling a game bad because of someone else putting a NUMBER on it, shows the gamers landscape nowadays, spend more time on forums bashing something they never played than actually gaming, good times indeed

It's been like this forever, "these days, nowadays, etc" is all bullshit. People have been bitching about game reviews and more often, just the scores, for as long as there have been game reviews.

dEvAnGeL

It's been like this forever, "these days, nowadays, etc" is all bullshit. People have been bitching about game reviews and more often, just the scores, for as long as there have been game reviews.
I bought the game, finished the game and sold it back to the store, the game is not incredibly awesome but in no way is a bad as some people believe it is, but go figures, when you let someone else dictate what you buy depending on a number it kinda gets to the ridiculous level, i bet people wont even take the time to read the review, just scroll down to see the number, ik glad i played the game, i would buy a sequel if it gets the go by sony

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can't seriously be using metacritics user score to make a point. Those are always a complete joke. I'd bet 80% or more of the user scores on metacritic are from people that haven't played the game.

They're only a complete joke when they don't fall in line with your personal opinion.

Outside of some extreme examples where you have people dogpiling on a game without even playing because of shady business practices or something, I find the Metacritic user review score to generally be reflective of the sentiments I see expressed here on GAF, for example. There are many instances where the user base rating a game will give it more high praise than the professional critics. They certainly don't always fall in line.

User review scores on metacritic are a joke, that's all there is to it.

Why? You're pretty much saying that no one's opinion matters, and if that's your argument, then why even comment in a review thread?

dEvAnGeL

so you're allowed to have your opinion but anyone who thinks less of the game isn't? that's what you're implying, right?
If you quote only a part of my post it kinda looks disingenuous, i have an opinion of something i played to completion, not something i read, huge difference

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Was this posted?

I Got 1886 Problems But Graphics Ain’t One: Game designer's perspective on The Order 1886, by Adrian Chmielarz:

Read the whole thing, it's great.

Good stuff and I mostly agree. Especially with this:

Nope, that’s not the end of the gameplay troubles. My biggest problem was how inconsistent and messy it all is. Sometimes the game blocks your ability to run. Sometimes it blocks your ability to walk. Sometimes you can use a weapon when no one is around, sometimes you cannot. Sometimes you have a clear goal, sometimes pressing R3 displays nothing.

Considering how incredibly consistent the game is on a visual and audio presentation level (it's truly unprecedented in my opinion), the damn near sloppy feeling interactive stuff really stood out. So many inconsistencies and poorly thought out 'gameplay' scenarios. So many moments of shaking my head in disbelief. Just a huge contrast in quality between the presentation and the 'play' part.

They're only a complete joke when they don't fall in line with your personal opinion.

Outside of some extreme examples where you have people dogpiling on a game without even playing because of shady business practices or something, I find the Metacritic user review score to generally be reflective of the sentiments I see expressed here on GAF, for example. There are many instances where the user base rating a game will give it more high praise than the professional critics. They certainly don't always fall in line.

Why? You're pretty much saying that no one's opinion matters, and if that's your argument, then why even comment in a review thread?
Yep totally agree besides some obvious trolling on popular games like call of duty do userscore differ that much.

Booshka

Good stuff and I mostly agree. Especially with this:

Considering how incredibly consistent the game is on a visual and audio presentation level (it's truly unprecedented in my opinion), the damn near sloppy feeling interactive stuff really stood out. So many inconsistencies and poorly thought out 'gameplay' scenarios. So many moments of shaking my head in disbelief. Just a huge contrast in quality between the presentation and the 'play' part.

From a game design critique perspective, that blog is very damning. It was a game designed for you to look at, and watch, they begrudgingly had to put in gameplay. RAD didn't really want you to play it, and they didn't put much care into designing the gameplay. Outside of the good gunplay and interesting weapons, everything else seems like a necessary evil to making a beautiful looking and sounding game, not one really worth playing, just seeing.

Watching CliffyB's 1st hour playthrough had some great critique as well, he discussed how a lot of the combat spaces, and areas that the player could actually move in, weren't utilized very well in a gameplay sense. "Look how much money we spent on this," ok well, on to the next beautiful area, or cutscene. Outside of wandering around to ogle at beautiful assets, what I consider video game tourism, there isn't much reason to not just move through all of those extremely expensive areas and continue to watch the game.

phanphare

Banned
How is it news at all? It's just more shit-stirring.

it's definitely news because, fuck, the implications of that tweet are as troubling as can be but I think now is not the time for a thread based on that.

too many threads right now are directly related to The Order and the discussions are a bit biased because of how recent this whole thing still is.

If you quote only a part of my post it kinda looks disingenuous, i have an opinion of something i played to completion, not something i read, huge difference

that was the only part of your post that I was concerned with

Making a thread about that tweet is only going to anger the people who think the media is out to "get" the order. I don't see much good in it even though it was pretty gross.

Derpyduck

Banned
Making a thread about that tweet is only going to anger the people who think the media is out to "get" the order. I don't see much good in it even though it was pretty gross.

Why should we care if irrational people get upset? It's news. If someone wants to create the thread, go for it. If there's no interest in the topic, it will quickly fall into obscurity.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Oh deary me, one of the Sony Santa Monica devs certainly got a bit upset

lhb3pLv.png

I like the take of cynics on this tweet.

A few labels thrown so far: "Bad for consumers", "Threatening reviewers".....

How is it that sending FREE review copies to the "professional" press or putting money into their "pocket" (literally) by buying ad space that a great number ad-blocks = bad consumer practices or a threat to reviewers?

Does "stopping" this practice stop game reviews? NO.
Does "stopping" this practice encourage bad consumer practices? NO.
Does "stopping" this practice encourage biased reporting? NO.
Does "stopping" this practice stop game reporting? NO.

A corporation aka publishers should spend its marketing money wisely and not feed a perceived problem if there is one - who cares If you or I think there is none (debatable as this thread proves)?. Marketing and press relationships is all about PR for products - you handle that whichever way you think it will bring the best results - end of story.

The implication here is that dev thought it would be ok to punish sites for bad reviews by pulling ads and review copies...

That's sounds like news to me.

Lol.

Seventy70

After playing the game, 6/10 would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. 7/10 would be fair. 8/10 for those that are not afraid of a cutscene and invests little to no time on multiplayer.

Some of the reviews though are a complete joke. It almost feels like they heard the game was on the short side and did everything in there power to prove it. All because they had a pre-determination about the game.

I can also see why some, like that tweet doing the rounds, say what they do. These review sites go touting for advertising business, then they do a complete hatchet job which makes little sense and actually tell people not to buy the game.

What makes things even worse, the companies well known to give big money for advertising can get an 8/10 even for the most broken piece of crap going.
They are paying for advertisement on a review site. I'm pretty sure they should have been aware of what they were getting. Plenty of games pay for ads on sites and still get torn up in reviews.

Ding-Ding

After playing the game, 6/10 would be scraping the bottom of the barrel. 7/10 would be fair. 8/10 for those that are not afraid of a cutscene and invests little to no time on multiplayer.

Some of the reviews though are a complete joke. It almost feels like they heard the game was on the short side and did everything in there power to prove it. All because they had a pre-determination about the game.

I can also see why some, like that tweet doing the rounds, say what they do. These review sites go touting for advertising business, then they do a complete hatchet job which makes little sense and actually tell people not to buy the game.

What makes things even worse, the companies well known to give big money for advertising can get an 8/10 even for the most broken piece of crap going.

PBY

Banned

Do you want bribes or not?

Also there's no injustice here, you just disagree with the aggregate reviewer opinion.

Kacho

I think the tweet was dumb no doubt, but creating a thread about tweets is frowned upon here isn't it? Maybe it's just select people that applies to like CliffyB.

Ding-Ding

Do you want bribes or not?

Also there's no injustice here, you just disagree with the aggregate reviewer opinion.

There is a difference between a total hatchet job and being critical.

Alot of these reviews are giving scores reserved for fundamentally broken games, which the Order is certainly not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom