• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

AJLma

Not really. You just kill-->die-->respawn and repeat on the same ~8 smallish maps forever. Most people who like that for some reason tend to stick to BF and COD now so there's really no need to have it in every single game with similar mechanics. Just play the 30 other TPS that have it.

I've got no beef with this game having no multiplayer, but your point is silly.

It's interesting to see the reactions to this game and Titanfall, as they are almost polar opposites very different, singular visions.

Personally I'd take SP only over MP only any day of the week, but different strokes for different folks.

Demon Ice

Banned
Whenever I read entitled bitching like that VanWinkle kid is doing I begin to understand why society's view of "gamers" as a demographic is so negative. What a petulant little child.

You don't "have" to buy the game, idiot.

4x MSAA with these netbook cpus and a low end gpu, but how?! /s

Impressive, I just hope it's like 12 hours or more. I think 12-15 is my bar for a game with no MP or co-op. 6-10 would just be too low, that's like a weekend of play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So just his one game has spawned
- frame rate thread - is 30fps enough?
- resolution - when is 1080p not 1080p and artistic vision vs technical limitations
- SP without MP?

And now what will likely be a 'resolution vs image quality - which is more important?'

I think that is pretty much a clean sweep of technical discussions that can be had.

I vote image quality btw

Leb

I'm pretty surprised they went with such an expensive AA solution -- you'd think they'd be able to go full 1080 with, say, SMAA or some such.

My vote goes to 4x MSAA . I had zero problems with letterboxing in games so far, and this looks more than fine:

pmgfwq.gif

Looks good, still hate those boarders.

Hey tech bros. How does MSAA compare to other AA methods.

It is good for geometry edges and if done a specific way, can also apply to transparencies. 4XMSAA is great.. especially in a renderer like this.

Isn't msaa awfully resource-hungry? I feel that SMAA T2X looks the same or better at MUCH less resource cost. At least it did in Crysis 3.

It is very expensive in deferred rendering games. Forward+ games like this should not break too much implementing it. In combo with a post processing AA like MSAA and a little TAA, this game could probably be one of the cleanest console games ever released.

Just hope they combine that MSAA with some PPAA and maybe some TAA for good measure (like one of the upper SMAA modes).

Hypron

MSAAx4? Nice! I'm currently playing through RE5 (again) on pc using exactly that and the game looks really clean.

4x MSAA with these netbook cpus and a low end gpu, but how?! /s

Impressive, I just hope it's like 12 hours or more. I think 12-15 is my bar for a game with no MP or co-op. 6-10 would just be too low, that's like a weekend of play.

Some Xbox 360/PS3 used MSAA as well, it's just been pretty rare in recent years because it doesn't work that well with games that use deferred rendering.

Mdot

Give me a great single player, story-driven campaign. I don't need some forced MP if that's not the focus.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yeah the IQ will look clean. Hoping they stick to their guns as well and true to their vision.

I really hope they keep to their vision and go with the letterboxed look instead of giving into the people whining about it "not being 1080p".

Zophar

Gonna be stunning. It's pretty clear they want this game to be *the* showpiece title for the new generation. 4xMSAA is gonna make this pretty, pretty, pretty.
I get his point though. This generation there's several AA methods to use, so the choice of 4xMS seems odd. I'm not against it though.

MSAA is still the highest quality option out there.

Dawg

The Order 1886 devs,

If you read this, don't mind that VanWinkle dude. Plenty of people still enjoy a good ol' SP game WITHOUT a silly and unnecessary MP mode.

pa22word

What's 4xMSAA? Some form of aliasing technique? Where have I seen it used before?

http://naturalviolence.webs.com/msaa.htm

You've seen it in Alan Wake on the 360 last gen, and probably a few others too, but most devs don't use it anymore because it's super expensive nowadays compared to post-processing filters like FXAA, MLAA, or SMAA both due to the inherent way MSAA works vs post AA and because of the way almost all engines today utilize deferred rendering in some way, which literally multiplies the performance cost with MSAA to untenable levels due to them having to apply MSAA passes through each individual rendering pipeline.

Arcoril

That VanWinkle fellow is downright rude.

He actually said nearly the exact same thing in another thread here. He made a baseless assumption about the game's length, didn't like his assumption, ran with it, and trashed the game because of it. He just can't let go.

I'm totally looking forward to a fantastic SP experience. Not every game needs MP.

Chinner

Banned
although i guess its annoying that its lower res, at least we're not getting into situtation where its upscaled and looks fuzzy or stretched. m

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hate these guys for forcing vanwinkle to buy their game though. He doesn't sound happy about it at all, that really shouldn't be allowed.

Ehh, hope they're using MSAA in combination with FXAA or SMAA. MSAA is good but on it's own it can miss things like transparencies and shader aliasing that post-processing AA could catch.

LeBart

Letterboxing is something you notice for the first 10 minutes and then completely forget about. Aliasing is in your face for the entire game.

They made the right decision.

DieH@rd

Banned
Dam 4xMSAA is kinda rare on consoles should be a clean IQ game.

Yes, incredibly clean, especially with all this subltle DOF

Is 4xMSAA really necessary?
Yeah. Look at this picture. It cleaned up everything except those metal support beams in top-left, and even that is barely noticeable.

MSAA is awesome, but it is resource intensive. Very little games used it on old gen. most picked 2X MSAA and later on MLAA/FXAA which can mess up texture quality.

MSAA is still the highest quality option out there.*

* For reasonable geometry sub pixel samples on consoles.

There definitely combined solutions or things like SGSSAA which are just better.

But them using MSAA is awesome. I applaud them.

andycapps

Good shit. Glad they're going for 4X MSAA at the res they're targeting. I am hoping that co-op is there, I assumed it was there given that there are 4 characters. No multiplayer doesn't bother me.

Domdev

Banned
I really wish the "No multiplayer WHAAAAAH!" crowd would just shut up.

I find this crowd similar to the Titanfall "No single player WHAAAAAH!" crowd. I would much rather have a game that has a very good single or multiplayer component instead of a mediocre single and multiplayer component.

Top Bottom