• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 screenshots

Are the black bars really worth 4xMSAA though? A crisp image is great but those bars are way more distracting than jaggies that you may or may not notice in the heat of action.
The artistic style of the game that RAD demands, requires these black bars. They are going for a cinematic experience. 4xMSAA has probably got nothing to do with it.

I really like the setting of this game. It's so different imo. I think I'm content with what I saw so far and now just await release. The only way I am truly going to love it is if it does surprise me while playing which I think is certainly going to be the case.

StuBurns

Banned
That's a good point. As I just ninja-edited into my previous post there's no way to be sure either way and I shouldn't have been so affirmative with my earlier post.
Well 'answer to' isn't such a definitive term anyway. Uncharted was certainly the Gears paralleled series on PS3 I think. If it was a complete rip off or not.

I was surprised, someone pointed out the other day that The Order seems like it'll be the first original (as is not ports like TR/TLoU) cover based shooter for this generation. It's odd to think that given how Gears' design dominated so heavily last generation.

Spineker

Banned
The artistic style of the game that RAD demands, requires these black bars. They are going for a cinematic experience. 4xMSAA has probably got nothing to do with it.

They are well within their rights to do that obviously, it's their game, but I don't see the value in it. It's cramping this great art style and setting that they're going with in the actual game into this narrow view for the sake of making it look like a movie.

Nobody's talking about "needing" it. But I want it when it's good. Gears had a surprisingly fun multiplayer, so did "The Last of Us" (at least that's what I've heard). I don't get why one should automatically dismiss the potential of a MP mode.

This is a new IP and it is RAD's first console game so I can see why they didn't want to put in any multiplayer. I think they need to establish this new IP and make sure it's good before experimenting with any multiplayer.

I have a feeling this game/franchise is going to follow the Uncharted pattern. First game is a good solid game, with some elements being exceptional. Single player only.

The sequel takes it to a whole other level while also adding multiplayer.

892d1381520117-order-1886-game-screenshots-order-1866.jpg

The clothes look alot less nice now..

That screenshot looks great but still screams videogame in how it looks. The look in the new vids is so much more atmospheric and natural. I think the new look is a huge upgrade artistically.

Are the black bars really worth 4xMSAA though? A crisp image is great but those bars are way more distracting than jaggies that you may or may not notice in the heat of action.

The thing is you don't even notice the black bars when playing. It's not like you're aware of the frame of your TV when playing in full screen. Same principal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, right. Build a game with almost spotless AA and then run it @ sub hd and fuck up the IQ completely. Good idea.

Did you miss the tongue-poking smiley?

Well 'answer to' isn't such a definitive term anyway. Uncharted was certainly the Gears paralleled series on PS3 I think. If it was a complete rip off or not.

Certainly true, both in terms of general gameplay style (each series has their own personal differentiating flourishes, but they're shooters at heart) and commercial/critical success.

I was surprised, someone pointed out the other day that The Order seems like it'll be the first original (as is not ports like TR/TLoU) cover based shooter for this generation. It's odd to think that given how Gears' design dominated so heavily last generation.

It's all about six-hour campaigns and grenade spam-fests these days. :p

Edit: I'm going to throw this in here since I took forever to edit into my last post:
The game has 4xMSAA, they have the bandwidth for 1920x1080 with some AA, they wouldn't go to 900p to provide a full screen option.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSAA is dropped closer to release for the sake of performance consistency. While we don't know how the engine is structured just yet, MSAA is too much of a performance hog when it comes to renderers that make liberal use of deferred rendering. Kudos to RAD if it sticks around, though!

ron_bato

They are well within their rights to do that obviously, it's their game, but I don't see the value in it. It's cramping this great art style and setting that they're going with in the actual game into this narrow view for the sake of making it look like a movie.

Actually the aspect ratio for the game (2.40:1) gives you a much wider view than the tradition 16:9 aspect ratio. Somebody from gaf made an image comparison before, i can't find it though, it's buried in all the black bars, resolution and bland gameplay discussion that usually fills most Order threads :p

RSB

Banned
I thought the black bars would be really annoying, but after 30 minutes of playing (Dragon's Dogma) I didn't even notice them anymore, so I'm okay.

And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have a game with native resolution and black bars (1920 x 800) instead of a full screen upscaled image (1600 x 900) Especially if the IQ is that good.

Spineker

Banned
The thing is you don't even notice the black bars when playing. It's not like you're aware of the frame of your TV when playing in full screen. Same principal.

That's a bit of a different scenario though. This is a frame inside a frame. People obviously have different perspectives, but me personally, I notice it when watching actual movies and it irritates me.

Spineker

Banned
Actually the aspect ratio for the game (2.40:1) gives you a much wider view than the tradition 16:9 aspect ratio. Somebody from gaf made an image comparison before, i can't find it though, it's buried in all the black bars, resolution and bland gameplay discussion that usually fills most Order threads :p

I've never played a game in 2.40:1 so I can't comment on that so maybe I won't mind it. I guess we'll find out........Next year.

Oh......So that just hit me for the first time :(

Loris146

Did you miss the tongue-poking smiley?

Certainly true, both in terms of general gameplay style (each series has their own personal differentiating flourishes, but they're shooters at heart) and commercial/critical success.

It's all about six-hour campaigns and grenade spam-fests these days. :p

Edit: I'm going to throw this in here since I took forever to edit into my last post:

I wouldn't be surprised if MSAA is dropped closer to release for the sake of performance consistency. While we don't know how the engine is structured just yet, MSAA is too much of a performance hog when it comes to renderers that make liberal use of deferred rendering. Kudos to RAD if it sticks around, though!

I think that they use a forward + engine..

The Order 1886 uses a relatively new lighting rendering method, Tiled Forward Rendering – known to its friends as Forward+. Forward+ is a natural evolution of the traditional forward rendering which most games typically opt for. You provide the geometry of the scene, which is then broken into vertices. One or more passes when the ‘light’ the scene up, calculating how lights and shadows should look in the scene. . Forward+ has light culling implemented into the mix. This creates a list of lights which is then passed over to the final rendering shader. This eliminates the restriction of material and lighting models which have been typically associated with deferred rendering. Theoretically less memory bandwidth is consumed too, which is of course a nice bonus.

http://www.redgamingtech.com/the-order-1886-gdc-2014-post-mortem-part-1/

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, in a sense I feel like it's a little wasteful, InFamous' SMAA is certainly plenty to provide an extremely pretty 1080p image, 4xMSAA is better of course, and there's nothing on consoles that looks this good, but if it ever dips below 30 or tears, it's not a compromise I'm sure is really worth it.

I have faith in RaD though, what they did with the PSP was voodoo.

ron_bato

I've never played a game in 2.40:1 so I can't comment on that so maybe I won't mind it. I guess we'll find out........Next year.

The images posted before were very helpful, you see what they are trying to go for and you at least see the merit in the point they're trying to make. If I can find them, I'd gladly link them for you.

JaseC

Yeah, in a sense I feel like it's a little wasteful, InFamous' SMAA is certainly plenty to provide an extremely pretty 1080p image, 4xMSAA is better of course, and there's nothing on consoles that looks this good, but if it ever dips below 30 or tears, it's not a compromise I'm sure is really worth it.

I have faith in RaD though, what they did with the PSP was voodoo.

Yeah, Infamous' SMAA implementation is superb. The game's photo mode is definitely something I intend to muck around with when I eventually get a PS4.

camac002

If you have a PS3, you could try downloading the Beyond Two Souls demo to take the old black bars for a spin and see how you feel. The Hunted section will be pretty good for this as it is more action (even if you dont like the gameplay)

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, Infamous' SMAA implementation is superb. The game's photo mode is definitely something I intend to muck around with when I eventually get a PS4.
That's one of the bad things about caring about graphics though, they're always outpaced. InFamous looked insane, but it doesn't look close to this good, then we'll see Quantic Dream's game and it'll look better, then Uncharted, than GG's RPG, then God of War 4. It's just an escalation that can't help but devalue the efforts that came before them.

It's like when you get a bump in your internet bandwidth, and for ten minutes it's amazing, then after that it's standard and anything less is too slow.
Can I just say, if Jack the Ripper doesn't make an appearance in this game, I will be greatly disappointed.
Funny, him being included is my biggest concern.

nib95

Banned
Cross post from the other thread.

Honestly, looks they added some more advanced colour grading, depth of field and post processing. There's also improved lighting and shadows, especially noticeable on and behind Isabeau.

You get a similar glimpse at such techniques from the Shadow Fall tech demo.

VolemetricLightingKillzone.jpg~original

VolemetricLightingShadowFall.jpg~original

PostProcessingKillzone.jpg~original

TheOrderComparison2.jpg~original

I watched VHS and DVDs for years in letterbox format, and never noticed. I played Dragon's Dogma and never noticed the bars while playing. This will be fine. People seem to be blowing every little thing about this game out of proportion.

StuBurns

Banned
Why is that? You think it'll be pandering?
I just don't like the idea of using a real serial killer from history. He's become this almost mythical figure, as if he wasn't an actual person. Even worse if he's revealed to be a half-breed or something.

I think games need to be delicate when they tackle historical events, and I don't trust anyone to do it respectfully.

I can already see Penny Dreadful making me throw something at the TV when they reveal him to be a vampire or some shit.

At least EA canceled Ripper, GAF would have seen a meltdown like no other.

Spineker

Banned
I just don't like the idea of using a real serial killer from history. He's become this almost mythical figure, as if he wasn't an actual person. Even worse if he's revealed to be a half-breed or something.

I think games need to be delicate when they tackle historical events, and I don't trust anyone to do it respectfully.

I can already see Penny Dreadful making me throw something at the TV when they reveal him to be a vampire or some shit.

I can see RAD going with an angle of Ripper wasn't actually a human but was one of those werewolf type creatures from the reveal trailer. The brutal nature of the murders would work in context.

I have a feeling this game/franchise is going to follow the Uncharted pattern. First game is a good solid game, with some elements being exceptional. Single player only.

The sequel takes it to a whole other level while also adding multiplayer.

So basically, it's a new IP.

I watched VHS and DVDs for years in letterbox format, and never noticed. I played Dragon's Dogma and never noticed the bars while playing. This will be fine. People seem to be blowing every little thing about this game out of proportion.

This. I can't at some of the "judge a book by it's cover" type responses this game is getting. The game isn't even near that much playable and there is next to none we have seen so far. They are just trickling stuff here and there, imo, not to create a hype for the game but to show how it's coming along. If they wanted people to get hype, they would of showed a lot more. I'm fine with the bars, it not like it hinders the experience for me any less than a game with flashing colors.

JaseC

That's one of the bad things about caring about graphics though, they're always outpaced. InFamous looked insane, but it doesn't look close to this good, then we'll see Quantic Dream's game and it'll look better, then Uncharted, than GG's RPG, then God of War 4. It's just an escalation that can't help but devalue the efforts that came before them.

Yeah, when it comes to striving for photorealism it's a constant game of leap-frog.

It's like when you get a bump in your internet bandwidth, and for ten minutes it's amazing, then after that it's standard and anything less is too slow.

Haha, I wouldn't know; I'm still on a ~6.5Mbps ADSL connection.:( The fibre rollout did finally hit my area a few weeks ago, though, so that's exciting. Maybe next year I'll be able to stream the E3 conferences without needing to worry about intermittent pauses.

Caesnd

It's also the most frustrating thing for people who value visual creativity over fidelity and number crunching. Whenever I see people talk about how bad Yoshitaka Amanos anatomy is, or how Yoji Shinkawa never draws feet, I feel saddened.

It's especially ironic with how they are considered the cream of the crop (along with people like Moebius, Craig Mullins etc) amongst proffesionals. Not just craftsmen, but true visionaries.

Probably the only time looking gray and drab will be acceptable, considering the setting and time period.

It's set in Victorian England, if they use the spelling 'gray' RAD can go fuck themselves for being so disrespectful to our Lord the Queen.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be Sony's answer to Gears of War. Has multiplayer been confirmed or denied? It seems like they could make it work in a similar fashion.

ugh, no thanks. Drop a gas canister and hit it with thermite on that idea.

It wouldn't be an The Order: 1886 thread without another debate revolving around which resolution the game displays at.

No, you won't fool the children of the resolution.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If that's your experience, then that's all well and good, but I think most people would find the jaggies in the image they are focused on much more distracting than the empty space they are not focused on. That's just how attention works.

To put it another way, some people might have an ultra high tolerance for jaggies while also being distracted by the absence of visual information, but I wouldn't think that's the case for many people.

RytGear

I'm really hoping this turns out to be Sony's answer to Gears of War. Has multiplayer been confirmed or denied? It seems like they could make it work in a similar fashion.

I don't need multiplayer particularly for the first game. Let them spend their time perfecting the single player and creating the good basis for a franchise and perhaps the second game could have it? It really isn't a necessity though and they should really focus more on the campaign.

Ricky_R

I don't mind either way, but if they decide to add him in some way, it would be cool if he's shown (in newspapers for example) as the author of such disturbing murders hiding the fact that they've been committed by werewolves.

Unless werewolves aren't really a mystery in the universe of this game.

Liamario

Banned
Only a total fanboy would be unimpressed with the visuals. It's the gameplay that I'm concerned about and to me it's not looking like anything we've seen before. This is what they need to show. The setting, the characters- all unique. We need to see something from the gameplay that makes it different from similar style games.

Really would be more inclined to pick this at full price up if there was MP. Will get it on the cheap later, unless the E3 demo truly wows me

It won't. No MP, no co op in campaign. Seems completely bizarre to me but I guess it's because we've only seen the Gears type shooting gameplay as opposed to the investigation stuff.
I imagine it's because they're not as big as EPIC. If they do a sequel if this is successful, they can add the MP on that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Regardless of their explanation for the "Infiltration uniforms" the overall impact of the change is still "visual blandness." I really hope they don't make too many "creative" changes at the expense of the game's original aesthetics to achieve realism— especially when the aesthetics of the game was initially one of the only noticeably unique things setting this game apart from many other cover-based TPS.

Top Bottom