• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Original DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 gets ported to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One

Doom on Switch?

• Rip and tear, anywhere!

Votes: 90 73.8%
  • You fools, I only play keyboard and mouse.

Votes: 32 26.2%

• Total voters

tkscz

It is a 23 or so year old game that runs on a toaster ffs

It doesn't even run at 1080p :/

It's 25 years old, the reason they released these games is for the 25th anniversary of Doom

As for not running in 1080p, no real excuse for that. This is a game that ran ok on the SNES. My best guess is these are direct ports of Doom 1 and 2 and don't support the higher resolution (or doesn't work correctly at the resolution).

iconmaster

Banned
Updated the OP with the account detail. Those with the games are saying you have to sign in once but can play offline from then on.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
With none of the online features and a forced account creation feature. Sounds like a fun time lol.

Even the 360 version that's playable on XB1 has online.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's 25 years old, the reason they released these games is for the 25th anniversary of Doom

As for not running in 1080p, no real excuse for that. This is a game that ran ok on the SNES. My best guess is these are direct ports of Doom 1 and 2 and don't support the higher resolution (or doesn't work correctly at the resolution).
no it did NOT run ok on SNES

I bought Doom 3 back when it was released. I gave up on it, thinking it was just too damn dark. I couldn't see shit.

Bought it again a year or so ago, thinking I'm considerably older now and it probably wasn't that dark, anyway. Nope, it's STILL too dark.

zeioIIDX

I'm about to buy the SHIT out of these once I get home. Can't believe how many times I've bought DOOM since 1993 lol. Always worth it, IMO.

Skyfox

Ok so I actually have a Bethesda account but I couldn't remember the password and it let me skip it (doom 3 on Switch) so it’s not required.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
WTF i own Doom 2 on Xbox and now it has magically disappeared from my ready to install list and now wants to charge me £3.99

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yup all lunched again on Xbox and PlayStation! Stealth release! Woop! Will be buying! :) hope they are enhanced!

Edit: sadly not live here on my uk Xbox yet :(
The game will definitely recieve Pro enhancements as it is mandated by Sony. Whether those enhancements are worth a damn is another thing entirely.

Petrae

Guess what?

They removed the ports, apparently only if you have the BFG disc you can redownload it

Even if Bethesda walks this shit back, along with the usual hollow apology that video game publishers have made common, Eternal DOOM just went to “buy used” status for me— if I even bother at all anymore.

Shitbags.

Spukc

Even if Bethesda walks this shit back, along with the usual hollow apology that video game publishers have made common, Eternal DOOM just went to “buy used” status for me— if I even bother at all anymore.

Shitbags.
damn shame as it will be one of the best pc games this year.
that is actually not a shit pc console port.

don't punish ID for shitbag bethesda.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Guess what?

They removed the ports, apparently only if you have the BFG disc you can redownload it

Wooooow. That's so fucked up. Good thing I kept mine installed.

Edit: according to Reddit, there's a way around it in order to reinstall them.

Go to the Doom or Doom II club (one easy route is by finding the achievements on your profile) and select "See in Microsoft Store" from the main page of the club. It should say "You own this game" and the install button should be available.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you own DOOM on iOS you can play it now on iOS 12. Which is cool because I bought this game years ago. It says (c) 2019 and it has a Bethesda logo right before you launch it. I've read where John Carmack made the iOS version one of the best versions of DOOM.

That's not to say this is just Doom as it was. Carmack seems to think it's a lot better than the original, which he'll admit doesn't exactly hold up in spite of all the nostalgia. "With the speed...the audio, the resolution, and the rendering quality, it is Doom as you remember it, which is quite a bit better than it actually was," he wrote. "A lot of people remember it as 'The best game EVER!', but 'ever' has sure moved a lot in the last decade!

I wonder how Bethesda approached the mobile versions appearing on the App and Play Store today.

They did add the whole "log in" with your Bethesda account to the app though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
OH! I just bought Doom 3 on PS4 and it most definitely does have Pro enhancements. It's also 60 fps and looks to have around 4K resolution! I dont think its quite 4K, it may be 1440p.

Either way it looks great so far!

Spukc

If you own DOOM on iOS you can play it now on iOS 12. Which is cool because I bought this game years ago. It says (c) 2019 and it has a Bethesda logo right before you launch it. I've read where John Carmack made the iOS version one of the best versions of DOOM.

I wonder how Bethesda approached the mobile versions appearing on the App and Play Store today.

They did add the whole "log in" with your Bethesda account to the app though.
what what how ?

nice found it!
shame doom 2 rpg and doom Resurrection is still lost

HAHAHAH LOG INTO BETH PLEASE

It supports controllers on IOS not full screen on new ipad pro 11 inch

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
what what how ?

nice found it!
shame doom 2 rpg and doom Resurrection is still lost

HAHAHAH LOG INTO BETH PLEASE

Go to the search on the app store and type "id software". Doom should be on that list. I owned it already back when it was 32-bit and the download button was a solid color. So i downloaded it and it was an updated version of the game.

Spukc

Go to the search on the app store and type "id software". Doom should be on that list. I owned it already back when it was 32-bit and the download button was a solid color. So i downloaded it and it was an updated version of the game.
yup so did i glad i can play it again

GrayFoxPL

Guess what?

Whaaat?

7vsIF1a.gif

Romulus

Lol I just finished a doom 3 playthrough on the original Xbox, probably one of the best ports of all time considering the hardware. Also comes with Doom 1/2

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Doom Classic Complete on PS3/360 had:

"DOOM (with the additional episode 'Thy Flesh Consumed'), DOOM II (including the additional episodes 'No Rest for the Living' and 'The Master Levels') and Final DOOM. "

That's more than Doom ports on Doom 3 BFG disc.

What does this have?

FUCKYEAH

Doom 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and I’ve never had a good way to play portably.

Purchased the second I read this story and downloading to my Switch as we speak. Hope they have some flashlight options because I loved the original scary mode...
The game scared the shit out of me and my dad back in 2004. He invested on a gaming PC and bought Doom 3 and what a ride.

buizel

Banned

"DOOM (with the additional episode 'Thy Flesh Consumed'), DOOM II (including the additional episodes 'No Rest for the Living' and 'The Master Levels') and Final DOOM. "

What does this have?

Doom 1,2 , Master Levels and Ep IV

They removed the online co op and deathmatch from 360/ps3

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Wooooow. That's so fucked up. Good thing I kept mine installed.

Edit: according to Reddit, there's a way around it in order to reinstall them.
Nice one, it works.

I wonder if multiplayer works between the 2 versions and if there is 1000 gamerscore instead of 200.
I was thinking of getting Doom 3 but now they have done this bollocks to them.

Spukc

Nice one, it works.

I wonder if multiplayer works between the 2 versions and if there is 1000 gamerscore instead of 200.
I was thinking of getting Doom 3 but now they have done this bollocks to them.
can't say i disagree shame i bought all of em on switch the very second they announced it

buizel

Banned
Pathetic.

I feel like they will patch in online play at some point - at least its the same price point as it was on 360. Ps3 had classic complete which has extra tnt/plutonia eps (online like 360. Both can still be played via Doom 3 bfg edition on 360/ps3 which have doom1/2 but cant remember if they have online play for them. Certainly local.

It reminds me of the DUKE NUKEM 3D they recently re-re-re-re-released for Xbox/Ps4, they also removed online play - which was a feature the MUCH cheaper PS3/360 versions had.

Also, maybe its just me and i've played ALOT of doom 1/2 (still play it weekly to this day multiplayer co-op) - but it also seems like scaling isnt good and sprites are rendered with crappy filtering which removes some of the charm imo, and also field of play isnt as big as ps3.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

What does this have?
I'm fairly certain final Doom never came to Xbox.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeh think it was ps3 digital only. 360/ps3 had doom 3 with doom1/2 on it, and 360 also had XBLA versions of doom1/2.
Yeah think this is right. I remember hearing that tnt and platonium came to ps3 and I was like wtf

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So, like, any confirmation on X/Pro support? I’m getting a lot of yes and a lot of no answers, oddly. It doesn’t say it on the Xbox store page on the console, but that’s been wrong before.

This all dropped on the same day as wolf... ugh... plus I go on holiday Monday...

What a pisser...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, like, any confirmation on X/Pro support? I’m getting a lot of yes and a lot of no answers, oddly. It doesn’t say it on the Xbox store page on the console, but that’s been wrong before.

This all dropped on the same day as wolf... ugh... plus I go on holiday Monday...

What a pisser...
Yes dude. READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH! I just bought Doom 3 on PS4 and it most definitely does have Pro enhancements. It's also 60 fps and looks to have around 4K resolution! I dont think its quite 4K, it may be 1440p.

Either way it looks great so far!

GrayFoxPL

I feel like they will patch in online play at some point - at least its the same price point as it was on 360. Ps3 had classic complete which has extra tnt/plutonia eps (online like 360. Both can still be played via Doom 3 bfg edition on 360/ps3 which have doom1/2 but cant remember if they have online play for them. Certainly local.

It reminds me of the DUKE NUKEM 3D they recently re-re-re-re-released for Xbox/Ps4, they also removed online play - which was a feature the MUCH cheaper PS3/360 versions had.

Also, maybe its just me and i've played ALOT of doom 1/2 (still play it weekly to this day multiplayer co-op) - but it also seems like scaling isnt good and sprites are rendered with crappy filtering which removes some of the charm imo, and also field of play isnt as big as ps3.

Yeah I've seen the gameplay, looks awful. They even filtrated ground texture.

I've been playing doom 1&2 on BFG disc to completion and was planning to get Doom Complete after I finish them for Final Doom and bonus episodes.

Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy it sooner.

I should've expected this would happen. Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition was also delisted on PS3 once World Tour hit PS4. That had, like, 4-5 times less levels/episodes?

Glad I grabbed Megaton in time.

This is just pure greed. Take away cheaper, better games with more content to force players to buy worse, more expensive versions with cut content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom