• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Original DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 gets ported to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One

Doom on Switch?

• Rip and tear, anywhere!

Votes: 90 73.8%
  • You fools, I only play keyboard and mouse.

Votes: 32 26.2%

• Total voters

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So, like, any confirmation on X/Pro support? I’m getting a lot of yes and a lot of no answers, oddly. It doesn’t say it on the Xbox store page on the console, but that’s been wrong before.

This all dropped on the same day as wolf... ugh... plus I go on holiday Monday...

What a pisser...
It looks pretty bad in the X as far as textures go. Seems like a rerelease of the BFG Edition Doom 3

iconmaster

Banned
It's doesn't mean they're not using unity. Neither I can tell that.

Sure, it doesn't mean they're not, but it also doesn't not mean they're not.

I'm going to give Panic Button the benefit of the doubt that it's a proper port unless someone has evidence to the contrary.

Fake

Sure, it doesn't mean they're not, but it also doesn't not mean they're not.

I'm going to give Panic Button the benefit of the doubt that it's a proper port unless someone has evidence to the contrary.
Nobody here is forcing you to ask that mind you. People have the right to know if they're indeed using Unity before buy... whether you want it or not.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
People have the right to know if they're indeed using Unity before buy... whether you want it or not.

Sorry, but

wthayta.gif

Fake

Sorry, but

wthayta.gif
If you don't want to know if Doom 3 use Unity fine, suit yourself, but don't prevent others from being informed or ask about it.
Will I have to draw for you too or will you quote anyone who asks about it?

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
DRM on a DOS game... That's why Bethesda is not that of a great company. They have everything to be, but they find a way to screw up.

What will be the next step, microtransactions? Slowly becoming fucking EA?!

Fuck

I'm more upset about Nintendo allowing this to be on their platform. Nintendo has become a part of the problem for a while now unfortunately...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The memes make this all worthwhile.

True, but the sad part is that it will all be expressed in harmless memes, and people will just accept this as a whole.

Other publishers to follow after the soft testing success of this, then lead to everything else.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
yup so did i glad i can play it again
I think they botched the ios port of DOOM. The gun layout is different, the controls are different, and it doesn’t feel as fluid as the 32-bit version. I wonder who Bethesda hires for this? John Carmack’s 32-bit version was far superior.

Last edited:

n0razi

Who is actually going to support this practice?

EDIT: I guess the guy above me lol

Last edited:
Wait... You have to remain connected to the internet to play 3 x games on a handheld system that has NO online play? Seems to defeat the purpose of having a Switch if you can't play on the go.

Codes 208

DRM on a DOS game... That's why Bethesda is not that of a great company.
I was keyed in on this when they ported the same 2011 game on multiple systems for nearly a decade (sometimes multiple times on the same system ala ps4 getting two versions of skyrim) at full fucking price each time.

Also the Diablo Immortal shit.

xrnzaaas

Looks like I'm going to stay away from Doom 1 and 2, apparently the music plays slower than in the original. Probably a side effect of switching to Unity.

Hopefully Doom 3 is a simple port of the previous versions without any issues (other than the main menu Internet connection requirement).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Looks like I'm going to stay away from Doom 1 and 2, apparently the music plays slower than in the original. Probably a side effect of switching to Unity.

Hopefully Doom 3 is a simple port of the previous versions without any issues (other than the main menu Internet connection requirement).

it is an odd decision not to do your own portable little engine considering the source code adaptations for tons of systems giving you a good solid base.

The music being synced to the framerate is odd... was it the same for their BFG edition ports? Those actually looked decent with some decent higher resolution rendering...

buizel

Banned
Prefer the classic gameplay... not focusing on vertical aim and investing in fast hectic moving gameplay was a thing that made Doom well Doom for me :).

Yeah there's no real point and just makes it harder. Except when you play with Mods with much higher vertical maps where you might need it.

I think it was originally implemented for Hexen and Heretic, as the Wings would allow you to fly - WHERE MY HERETIC PORT

I always use to play co-op, turn my friend into a chicken with that egg spell, and they could then fly to hidden areas and shortcuts :D

Cattlyst

So here's something horrendous I noticed with Doom II on Switch. If you pause your game and them put the Switch into sleep mode, when you try to resume your game a message saying 'disconnected from Bethesda...' will keep pausing the game every 5 seconds until you close the software and start again. How this affects offline gaming I don't know, but this could seriously bork the whole point of having it on Switch. This needs patching ASAP.

Edit: so I've just been for a walk away from my house and Wi-Fi to see if I could still play these games without an internet connection, and yes - you can once you get past the warnings about having no internet connection etc. It says you won't be able to use network features but there aren't any at present...maybe they'll be patching in online deathmatch and co-op at some point in the future?

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Bought doom 2 last night and everything’s fine so far. Though I bet a patch is coming pretty soon with the internet uproar.

Fake

I watched the PS4 footage of Ultimate Doom. Is the music/sound different? I find horrible the quality.
Is someone who buy can confirm this?

Top Bottom