• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Original DOOM, DOOM II, and DOOM 3 gets ported to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One

Doom on Switch?

• Rip and tear, anywhere!

Votes: 90 73.8%
  • You fools, I only play keyboard and mouse.

Votes: 32 26.2%

• Total voters

iconmaster

Banned
I wonder if Bethesda realizes that online game stores have built-in ways of checking whether you own the game you’re playing.

Edit: new development

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I wonder if Bethesda realizes that online game stores have built-in ways of checking whether you own the game you’re playing.

i feel like a fucking idiot for buying the 3 doom games on switch,
as more and more dirt get dug up how crap those ports are

mcz117chief

A really odd version. No fast monsters on nightmare, pills instead of red crosses on med packs, sounds have a random pitch modulator, music is slowed down, the game doesn't fill out the whole screen (wtf?) and there is no way to skip levels (afaik). It ain't terrible, but I am a bit disappointed. Local coop and pvp is cool though.

Petrae

Bethesda deserves no quarter for its bullshit explanation, which should’ve been made clear on digital storefronts for consumer information. Still guilty as fuck, still subject to criticism and ridicule.

If you’re gonna rush re-releases out the door to coincide with some company event, at least make sure you cross your Ts and dot your Is first.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ll pick this up once they patch online. Lol fucking Bethesda

DOOM and DOOM II are classics. Never played DOOM 3 so I’ll have to check that out.

I did try Final DOOM back in the day but it’s a meh fan mod, Ultimate and the new Romero levels are way better, and more or less official

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
No it's not. Bought Doom 1+2 on Switch, done the initial log in but cant play without an internet connection. Keeps asking to log before you can play it

This is fucking bollocks. I want my money back.
Oh wow, that's terrible. At least they're patching it out, but it shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Zog

Banned
im all for being able to play on as many platforms as possible but personally i will not be buying it on Switch. the screen is too small and the controllers are too awkward. i will be playing it on PC.

Yeah, Nintendo's crappy controllers this gen makes me not want to buy anything outside of exclusives on the Switch.

I do think the thread title is annoying, is Switch the only platform that matters anymore?

Saber

Gold Member
Not only the music sounds weird, but also the enemy sound effects sounds different.

This one smells like low effort cash grab.

Spukc

Yeah, Nintendo's crappy controllers this gen makes me not want to buy anything outside of exclusives on the Switch.

I do think the thread title is annoying, is Switch the only platform that matters anymore?
Yes wtf is the point getting this on anything besides an handheld ?

Zog

Banned
Yes wtf is the point getting this on anything besides an handheld ?

Yes! Get multiplat releases on the weakest console with the worst controls for the same price as other consoles. Sounds like a great plan.

Last edited:

tkscz

The thread was made because the games were spotted on the Nintendo eShop before bethesda even made the announcement. No one knew it would be all platforms at the point of the thread creation, PLUS the Xb1 and PS4 already had the games.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The thread was made because the games were spotted on the Nintendo eShop before bethesda even made the announcement. No one knew it would be all platforms at the point of the thread creation, PLUS the Xb1 and PS4 already had the games.
They were on PS4? I knew they were on XB1 via BC, but I had no idea there were also PS4 versions before yesterday.

Last edited:

tkscz

They were on PS4? I knew they were on XB1 via BC, but I had no idea there were also PS4 versions before yesterday.

Might have been wrong about that. Thought I read it in a post here but they said PS3, not PS4.

Wait wasn't the PS3 Doom the complete package? I know Bethesda put it back up but it was Final and Ultimate Doom boot.

Last edited:

Petrae

So their excuse is that they wanted the login for some sort of rewards system they have, but """"accidentally"""" made it so that you couldn't play without the login?

What a load of bs. Bethesda once again telling outright lies to justify their shit practices. Fuck right off

The publisher got caught, promptly trashed and ridiculed, and is now desperately trying to save face through a hard-to-believe story. This is the same publisher that’s been little more than trash since Fallout 76, if not before.

Why anyone would believe a word that comes from anyone within that publisher’s employ is beyond me. Of course, it’s probably not fair to expect the publisher to admit its assholery.

“We tried to sneak one past you, by forcefully collecting your e-mail addresses. You caught us this time, and we are relenting for now. We’ll do a better job of pulling one over on you next time.”

pretty much they are available on every system ever. and why even get these shitty stand alones when you can get classic doom bundles with all the extra expansions on last gen systems for cheaper

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
pretty much they are available on every system ever. and why even get these shitty stand alones when you can get classic doom bundles with all the extra expansions on last gen systems for cheaper
And on top of that, if you have an XB1, please don't pay for these. You're getting less content for the same price as the 360 Live Arcade or BFG Edition ports of Doom 1 and 2. Buy those instead since they're playable on XB1.

And if I remember correctly, the version of Doom 3 found in the aforementioned BFG edition also has the online co op that this new standalone version ommited.

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I just have the scene in my head of an old, out of touch exec type demanding for more Bethesda accounts, and everyone on the team is scratching their heads trying to figure out how to get people to sign up for a shitty Bethesda account.

Then a young intern type explains “Sir, just put doom on switch and make people have to sign up to play”.

“I don’t understand”

“Doom 1, 2 and 3 on switch, but make people sign up for an account before they can play”

“I’m not following”

“Sir, Doom. Doom, Sir, on the switch.”

“....”

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i may have to get DOOM 3, which i never played through.

so are the first two really bugged? the music being slow is a hard no for me, so i need to know if they have this fixed before i buy.

Cattlyst

I think the main issue here is the fact that if you start a game on Switch and you're connected to the internet, as soon as that connection is interrupted by the Switch being put to sleep or by leaving the Wi-Fi connection (e.g. taking your switch out of the house) you get that 'you are not connected message over and over again, meaning you're forced to quit the game and restart. How they didn't test this for the Switch - a PORTABLE system - I'll never know.

Spukc

So i was playing doom 2 lvl 1,2 and 3 in the morning.

Had to go so i put my switch in sleep mode.
Went back at the end of the day and i got greeted by this splash screen.

SR88EsA.jpg

And after pressing OKAY this thing keeps popping up every 4 second i kid you not.

WHAT FUCKING NETWORK FEATURES WILL NOT WORK BETHESDA IT IS AN OFFLINE GAME???.

I had to no joke... put my switch into airplane mode to disable the splash screen. And then suddenly i got this weird ass nintendo popup saying turn off airplane mode. This made the splash screen stop.

I feel like such a fucking idiot buying a bethesda game before reading how shit they made it. This will be the last time i do.
Fuck em

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Wow I know why people are whining about the switch controls now. Played it handheld today and the switch joycon sticks are utter garbage for this game. I’ve been playing on the pro controller and after turning the sensitivity to half in the options it controls like a dream. Not really worth playinghandheld for me due to this.

Cattlyst

SR88EsA.jpg

And after pressing OKAY this thing keeps popping up every 4 second i kid you not.

I had to no joke... put my switch into airplane mode to disable the splash screen. And then suddenly i got this weird ass nintendo popup saying turn off airplane mode. This made the splash screen stop.

I feel like such a fucking idiot buying a bethesda game before reading how shit they made it. This will be the last time i do.
Fuck em

Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about. Sucks.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

SR88EsA.jpg

Fuck em
Yep.

Orta

Banned
Gave 3 a quick go (undocked) last night. Pretty much as I expected, looks decent, frame right is fine so far though it momentarily dropped to a noticeable level when you encounter your first sentry early on. The controls are my biggest problem being a pc snob though that's something I'll have to overcome.

I'm happy enough, crazy to think I had to buy an expensive new pc for this when it came out years ago!

Spukc

Gave 3 a quick go (undocked) last night. Pretty much as I expected, looks decent, frame right is fine so far though it momentarily dropped to a noticeable level when you encounter your first sentry early on. The controls are my biggest problem being a pc snob though that's something I'll have to overcome.

I'm happy enough, crazy to think I had to buy an expensive new pc for this when it came out years ago!
i played this game on my samsung edge 7 at 1440p just fine

what makes me wonder is if i can play this port with a mouse and keyboard.
(you will need the game's files to run it on android ofc)

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

SR88EsA.jpg

Fuck em

Thank god I warned my brother. Otherwise he would be buying the game blind as well.

I'm guessing this is exactly what they want. They problably didn't explain much of this "function" in the promotion video so they could farm as much money as possible until people discovered the problems.

MiguelItUp

I plan on getting DOOM 3 for Switch in due time. The 1 and 2 ports weren't bad from what I've experienced. But I also didn't purchase them until Bethesda *fixed* the connection issue thing. I still love the idea of playing co-op / multiplayer DOOM split screen wherever. But yeah, the controls feel restricted because of the Switch's analogs. I'm sure it'll be better with the Pro Controller.

I did notice a strange delay in the music, which was annoying. I was gonna buy the ports on Android until I saw that was a thing. Figured it wasn't on the console ports, and I guess I was wrong. :(

Mind you, not end of the world stuff, but man hearing songs you've remembered and memorized for the past 25 years but not right is irking, lmao. It's like hearing the Mario Bros theme just a slight bit off. Oof.

Also wanted to add, it was cool missing the keynote live and then seeing all this at Quakecon. But wow, all the memes came FAST. I was also kind of bummed because in my head I painted a more elaborate and superior port. I thought there was online co-op and multiplayer. Thought it'd be SO cool if there was crossover play too, cause why not? I mean, 25th anniversary, right? Show it some extra and cool love! But unfortunately, none of that. Instead, it's just a couple of other ports that aren't perfect, and could have more added to it. I mean, especially from a couple of games from the 90's...

Just felt like a last minute idea and potential cash grab, unfortunately. I felt it was incredibly ironic to do such a thing during DOOM's 25th anniversary considering how influential it was/is. Not to mention the kind of company id was, only to have something like this happen, it's like a polar opposite situation from what id would ever want lmao.

Cynn

The fact that these are inferior to the Xbox Live Arcade versions by having the online co-op removed and slowing down the music (plus the weird censorship of some images) blows my mind.

The fact that they de-listed the older, superior versions in the same stroke straight up pisses me off.

Fake

SR88EsA.jpg

Fuck em
4a4.gif

Last edited:
"40 year old Eritrean man"

Rails around the country of Germany, sounds like.
The fact that these are inferior to the Xbox Live Arcade versions by having the online co-op removed and slowing down the music (plus the weird censorship of some images) blows my mind.

The fact that they de-listed the older, superior versions in the same stroke straight up pisses me off.

Wait, what imagery got censored?

Top Bottom