• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The original Doom II monster models

G-Fex

I assume there's quite a few of you excited and hyped up since the Doom announcement so I'd thought you'd all appreciate some history

It's amazing I've always wanted to see the models these creatures were put into the game after. After seeing a MK behind the scenes video and how Goro was used it's so good to see this with Doom.

ZkOL5N4.jpg

Mancubus
Pmwa8J7.jpg

Spider Mastermind
5J1YPLU.jpg

Revenant
QCKVfXc.jpg

Archvile

Hi-Res links
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/5946779094/sizes/o/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/5926428955/sizes/o/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/5946806500/sizes/o/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/5946808690/sizes/o/in/photostream/

mrkgoo

Jesus those things are terrifying.

I wish I could play doom and doom 2more ways now.

I played doom a lot, but didn't play doom 2 as much.

Nice, I had never seen these. I hope they do take some serious inspiration from these original models for the new game.

I like the Revenant and feel it's the one that lost most in translation.

Myansie

Beautiful looking models.

Are you saying the sprites in the game are made by taking photos of these from 8 different angles? I always thought they were drawn.

G-Fex

Why does the spider mastermind only have 4 legs?

Not sure. She was never fast anyway so I'm assuming it just keeps her standing.

Beautiful looking models.

Are you saying the sprites in the game are made by taking photos of these from 8 different angles? I always thought they were drawn.

I assume it's part photos and animation.

They've got a lot of animation frames each.

For reference

2URpLwF.png

cJ0hV6d.png

3g47p1e.png

YRcGKQF.png

ElTopo

Banned
Revnant and Mancubus look so much more impressive.

I don't collect figures but a model of the Spidermastermind would be really tempting.

I like the Revenant and feel it's the one that lost most in translation.

Yeah I agree. A lot of the Revenant details aren't really visible in game.

I think the Archvile is the best looking one though... such an awesome and terrifying design. Doom monsters are the best!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
CYBERDEMON

Gimme it!

Always thought that the Revenant was wearing red trousers. Guess it was suppose to be flesh and blood. Though, it looks like his chest was censored/covered for some reason.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I always thought Revenant was the coolest one... And I always thought they wore red pants :lol

Nemesis_

i wonder why Revenant was absent in doom 64

From what I remember, Doom 64 didn't actually have the Commandos, Arch-Viles, Spiderdemons or the Revenants because of storage limitations.

Which was weird, because the ones that did make the cut were enlarged, textures were improved and sound quality was better than the original game.

So I guess they just weighed up the opportunity cost and went from there.

Yoshichan

I really love that they went through all the trouble of creating real physical models to use as game sprites. It's really cool to see this stuff.

While not on the same level, the original Rise of the Triad kind of did the same thing:

The game sprites:
2290446-rottbosses.png

Tom Hall as El Oscuro:
bRKrzz6.png

Former 3D Realms/ Apogee moderator Joe Siegler as Heinrich Krist:
JN0VGPt.png

Another 3D Realms employee as the Low Guard:
TgRyz2s.png

Also youtube video footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbuFR6tVrc

The remains of the NME which was inspired by the Daleks from Dr. Who:
BoAMvOz.png

Yeah, this one used mostly 3D Realm employee's dressed in dopey costumes, and there wasonly one hand crafted model. But I always kinda liked when games used digitized actors and physical models. There is a certian charm to it. The priginal Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 also had Goro, Motaro and Sheeva. which were all stop motion.

Yoshichan

As an enemy? Fuck yeah.

As a creature design? I think the Spider Mind is much more terrifying and distinctive.
Agreed 100%!

Did we ever get to fight her in the expansion of DOOM 3? I forgot, despite loving and playing the shit out of it (the superior gravity gun imo).

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Of those four the only one I didn't encounter in Doom 2 was the last one. That's because I didn't finish the game, but I plan to. I just feel like Doom 2 had considerably worse map layouts than the original. Most things seem misplaced despite intentionally being made that way. Eh

kogasu

Wow, this is some seriously kick ass stuff! I honestly had no idea they used the "digitized model" method to make the Doom enemies. I always figured they were drawn or something.

pottuvoi

Banned
It'd be amazing if they captured them with one of those 3D scanners and turned them into usable models.
No need for 3D scanner.
Nice array of photos and photogrammetry software would be enough to get decent quality, especially after round with z-brush.. ;)

This is example with quite small model (~10cm) in non optimal lighting/photos no post processing, only decimation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrlri8wnuaskpg2/Lohis_200k_4k.pdf (rotate with mouse.)

jambo

All of the guns in DOOM were done in a similar fashion.

They weren't modelled out of clay, but they were photographed and then tweaked on the PCs.

E7dfloC.jpg

1hcAzLw.jpg

ZJqkIU8.jpg

v7KzHgk.jpg

Kevin Cloud's hands are the ones in the game, as he was holding all of the weapons, including the brass knuckles, when they were photographed.

I like to think that the use of clay and latex models (as well as plastic toys) are a lot of why DOOM sprites mesh so well into their game. Most other techniques in other games (like hand drawing the source image or taking pictures of people) tend to look really obvious in comparison.

Of those four the only one I didn't encounter in Doom 2 was the last one. That's because I didn't finish the game, but I plan to. I just feel like Doom 2 had considerably worse map layouts than the original. Most things seem misplaced despite intentionally being made that way. Eh

Archviles are definitely the best addition to the Doom 2 bestiary if you ask me. They were quite terrifying and can really change up the dynamics of a battle.

One of my favourite tricks was to kill enemies in doorways so they turn to gibs, then get an Archvile to revive them. If you do this they can walk through walls and can only be killed by splash damage.

Refyref

Those are really awesome.
By the way, this being Doom 2 and all, and by how it looks, that's an Arachnotron, not the Spider Mastermind.

EDIT: Or maybe not, that really is the Spider Mastermind.

EDIT2: It's not 100% like the Spider Mastermind too...

Daffy Duck

These are really cool! Loved the spider mastermind.

Sad no CyberDemon, he's my favourite Doom guy.

Care to post a link on the MK stuff you mentioned?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Much more creepy in this original state. Could easily be straight out of a hellraiser movie.

Top Bottom