• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville: New Horizons | OT |

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wow, a social commentary episode, wasn't expecting that. This week, Don't transition your children.

"I surmise that your capacity to reason has been compromised by your cultural indoctrination" :messenger_fire:

If this show was more popular I could see this episode really rustling some jimmies.

I forgot what day it was! I gotta catch the new episode!

Aggrotek

Episode 4 was really solid, actually kind of surprising that the episode was even kind of anti abortion a weird coincidence in release timing.
This and the reinforcing of the biology of Topa in Ep 5 were pretty surprising. Both themes are very unaccepted in popular media right now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Me hearing The Orville made an episode that angers the woke:

obs.gif

Me watching the first 10 minutes of said episode:

you-got-me-good-ego-nwodim.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This is a direct followup from ... Season 1? Klyden reminds me of someone I knew whose parents didn't want her after she told them she is gay. Kicked her out.

Topa was regressing to what she was before... Though I know it's a transgender allegory.

My own daughter is trans and I felt this episode... So much was familiar

There is something missing with this new season.
I love Orville but I miss the older "simpler" episodes of previous seasons.
It's still the best sci-fi tv series currently on screen (and way better that anything current day Star Trek).

Kimahri

Banned
Ugh.. a Topa episode?! I think I’ll skip that one. That character is insufferable and ugly too.
Your loss. This is, no joke, one of the best pieces of fiction I've consumed in a very long time.

It made me feel, a lot. For everyone involved. It was nuanced, smart, compassionate, and it made me appreciate views that other, less.. Well articulated voices fail to convey.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am so behind, but 3x02 - MacFarlane was like "So you like the Borg? Let me show you how frightening such a species can actually be".

Fbh

There is something missing with this new season.
I love Orville but I miss the older "simpler" episodes of previous seasons.
It's still the best sci-fi tv series currently on screen (and way better that anything current day Star Trek).

Well for one the comedy seems completely gone. Season 1 and to a lesser extent season 2 were more of a light-hearted star trek clone with a comedic undertone.

Now it's just a star trek clone.

I don't necessarily think it's for the worse though. The comedy was very hit and miss and them constantly referncing stuff from the 80's - 00's always felt out of place.

But it definitely has a different vibe going for it now.

Last edited:

squallheart

Finally started catching up still need to do episode 6. The first episode had me not liking it and was very off putting. I don't like that new character navigator and can do without. Honestly the episode where
he finds out he has a daughter had me wanting him to take her with him
. It was a great episode. This is what star trek should of been. I wasn't going to watch the topa episode since I don't care for the character but ended up watching it and it was really good. Very emotional.

Your loss. This is, no joke, one of the best pieces of fiction I've consumed in a very long time.

It made me feel, a lot. For everyone involved. It was nuanced, smart, compassionate, and it made me appreciate views that other, less.. Well articulated voices fail to convey.
It truly was one of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a while. I like when shows try to push boundaries and make us question society in multiple ways. Also the acting from all ends was top notch. It reminded me of the best moments of Star Trek TNG.

It was ok. Not bad, not good. It was a bit silly if you ask me - lots of unbelievable decisions by the captain.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 5 was pretty intense for sci-fi. It reminded me of The Next Generation so much.

Episode 6 is a lot of fun and opened with some quality Star Trek style space action. Overall this season has been 100% good.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Wow, a social commentary episode, wasn't expecting that. This week, Don't transition your children.

"I surmise that your capacity to reason has been compromised by your cultural indoctrination" :messenger_fire:

If this show was more popular I could see this episode really rustling some jimmies.

I believe that episode was pretty pro trans in a way, the message was that the child should feel comfortable with their body and make the decision of what they want to be if something feels wrong, not their parents however Seth came from it on the oposite angle which was genius.

Effectively when the inevitable extreme left articles came out decrying the episode I got a good laugh, they completely missed what he was doing there.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I believe that episode was pretty pro trans in a way, the message was that the child should feel comfortable with their body and make the decision of what they want to be if something feels wrong, not their parents however Seth came from it on the oposite angle which was genius.

Effectively when the inevitable extreme left articles came out decrying the episode I got a good laugh, they completely missed what he was doing there.

Exactly! It WAS pro trans. Just coming at it from a different angle. Just like that TNG episode with the aliens with no gender identity and the one wanting to identify as female that Riker fell for.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hah, the woman-dominated species and all of their baggage gag in the opening minutes of ep7 was classic MacFarlane. And that Bortus moment on the bridge, lol.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I felt like that was a bit of a cop-out by the writers. Keeping Isaac how he is is easy. Trying to make him organically grow and become human would be hard.

Data did... Sorta. With the emotion chip. Basically same thing. Though I kinda feel this was more like when Data built his daughter...

It would have been better to have Isaac's guilt cause a conflict and then him struggle with it and ultimately chose to go back. Tbh it was the second to worst ending. The first being for him to keep them.

Now they can reset it now and again...

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

This week, some characters actually die.

I think they completed her character arc pretty well, it would have been hard to find her a new personnality once her major conflict was overcome.
It's a lot better narratively to do this kind of thing, we have way too many character who overstay their welcome.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The season finale is incredible. Hope we get a S4.

Edit: erp, still one more episode to go.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I think they completed her character arc pretty well, it would have been hard to find her a new personnality once her major conflict was overcome.
It's a lot better narratively to do this kind of thing, we have way too many character who overstay their welcome.

To me, her character was ugly with her animosity towards Isaac. I understood it but also knew Isaac was a good guy. When she finally understands WHY the Kaylon were that way... She realized she was backsliding into old human ways ... And they became friends. Isaac's eulogy was amazing writing! It felt so much like when Data spoke of Tasha.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
To me, her character was ugly with her animosity towards Isaac. I understood it but also knew Isaac was a good guy. When she finally understands WHY the Kaylon were that way... She realized she was backsliding into old human ways ... And they became friends. Isaac's eulogy was amazing writing! It felt so much like when Data spoke of Tasha.

The eulogy was brilliant. Simple and straightforward and far more poignant as a result.

Top Bottom