• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Orville |OT| MacFarlane's sci-fi com-, wait it's a drama!? That can't be right

compo

Banned
No more football after this episode since it is going to move to Thurdays (so it doesn't compete directly with Discovery)

I would normally be upset about a Fox Sunday night show leaving, but that's a pretty good decision. Discovery would kill this show.

Kevin

Two amazing episodes in one week?

giphy.gif

compo

Banned
Wow, wtf was with that football? They delay Orville, then they don't even let you watch the end of the game. It's like an insult to both Orville and football fans.

Wow, wtf was with that football? They delay Orville, then they don't even let you watch the end of the game. It's like an insult to both Orville and football fans.

I was kinda shocked at that, i thought it was a rule after the Heidi game that all gamrs had to play out or maybe that was a rule for another channel.

compo

Banned
Damnit, something cool happened, but I'm 10 minutes in the future for you guys, so I feel like I can't talk about it yet.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Even for comedy, casually suggesting what amounts to
child-eating
seems a bit dark for the captain.

compo

Banned
Well, I'm hoping enough of you have seen pinhead by now. But this episode
has the same plot as the pilot to The Original Series. Which is cool because this is exactly like what I wanted this series to be. Rewrites of Star Trek episodes, but with humor.
But I have to admit that the humor has been lacking a bit.

DarthWoo

This is so Star Trek I'm surprised Paramount/CBS don't sue. I think the show has promise, though.

I've noticed several sound effects that are ripped straight from Trek, tonight specifically was the alarm during
the euthanasia protocol.

ghostmind

I just started watching this (yeah probably not best to start with the second episode), and I am confused about what this show is trying to be.

I like this show. With the new Star Trek moving to a closed service that I am not going to pay for, The Orville is a close enough facsimile with the added bonus af having some jokes thrown in to boot. Tonight's episode was more drama than comedy which is alright by me. Whether or not it is as good as a classic Stat Trek episode is up for debate (I don't think it was), but I'm willing to keep watching in the hopes that it gets better and fills that sci fi void.

DarthWoo

The design of the ships really bother me, the back end makes no sense

I see it as their attempt to sort of go with something vaguely resembling an Alcubierre drive, although if each engine can operate independently with the other two disabled, I guess that doesn't make much sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol wow, the "homage" is so close it hurts. This episode was basically "Disaster" from TNG, complete with a baby, a woman feeling unqualified, and the ship in danger.

Top Bottom