• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds: A GameInformer Monthly Feature

Teslerum

Great video, can't wait for the game.

Having watched a number of these GameInformer quickfire Q&A's I really appreciate how he answers "not in the way you are thinking" for a number of questions instead of something vaguer that could be misconstrued, e.g. "...in a way", "...wait and see", "...I don't want to ruin anything", or "..."
It is (Its my first time seeing it and I do like the format) but honestly I found the questions and humor... improvable.

I very much liked their podcast discussion though. Well made and gave a really well rounded impression of the game. I especially liked the part where they talked about the scope of the game and that the lack of certain features (Romance, Open-World) doesn't mean that the devs lack ambition.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
And its not like Obsidian has proven they can do them well. NWN2s were terrible, Alpha Protocol's only somewhat work in a pulp spy novel sense and POE2's were... yeah not so good either (And the game showcases that it could have used the time spent on them in other narrative areas).

And then New Vegas ends with you getting cucked by Cass if you romance her. All they had to say was you ride off into the sunset together, but no, they went out of their way to say she fucked another guy LOL

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hadn't heard of this but that's now on my "keep an eye out" list alongside Cyberpunk 2077 - possibles to break my no new games in 2019 rule.

Sub_Level

Hadn't heard of this but that's now on my "keep an eye out" list alongside Cyberpunk 2077 - possibles to break my no new games in 2019 rule.

CyberPunk is 2020 for sure. But for Outer Worlds, yea, they stressed that its coming this year.

Has anyone found where you can download the game informer cover art for outer worlds? At least in 4k. I want it as a desktop wallpaper

I'm sad that there will never be a follow up to Fallout: New Vegas I guess.

But the argument could be made Fallout is played out anyway and this exactly what we need, something all new, just in a similar vein.

BigBooper

So is this going to have hub zones like early Bioware\Obsidion games like Kotor2 or Jade Empire? The way he keeps saying it's not sandbox simulator type game makes me think it won't be open world like Fallout NV.

I think a link to this video was posted earlier, but now the video itself is on You Tube:

This thing kind of looks like a glorious mix of Fallout and Bioshock, from the only developers who ever put quality storytelling into the Fallout universe. I can't wait to play this.

Last edited:
The opening minutes of the GI video in the OP is somewhat deflating - heavy expectation management going on, not as big as New Vegas, not Cyberpunk, small budget, time constraints. I'm definitely a quality over quantity person but it's not a good way to sell it . If the quality is there no one will really care about quantity, unless it's less than 20 hours, only in that they wish there were more because it's so good. Which I hope is the case.

Teslerum

The opening minutes of the GI video in the OP is somewhat deflating - heavy expectation management going on, not as big as New Vegas, not Cyberpunk, small budget, time constraints. I'm definitely a quality over quantity person but it's not a good way to sell it . If the quality is there no one will really care about quantity, unless it's less than 20 hours, only in that they wish there were more because it's so good. Which I hope is the case.

In what reality do you live in? Of course they do. Especially regarding RPG's.
You only have to look at the comment section of any relevant Outer Worlds video to confirm it.

That statement only applies post release and in a lot of cases only after some time has passed.

Last edited:
In what reality do you live in? Of course they do. Especially regarding RPG's.
You only have to look at the comment section of any relevant Outer Worlds video to confirm it.

That statement only applies post release and in a lot of cases only after some time has passed.

Look at the comments on the article explicitly about the length: https://www.dualshockers.com/the-outer-worlds-kotor-2-length/. I think 30 hours is ok if it's replayable, 40 is good. I am a do everything kind of player so it should be pretty solid hopefully and I'm also a serial re-player of games that I like.

anthraticus

Banned
Look at the comments on the article explicitly about the length: https://www.dualshockers.com/the-outer-worlds-kotor-2-length/. I think 30 hours is ok if it's replayable, 40 is good. I am a do everything kind of player so it should be pretty solid hopefully and I'm also a serial re-player of games that I like.
Well in a game with actual choices & consequences/reactivity, you shouldn't be able to 'do everything'.

Good reactivity inherently means locking players out of content. Complete antithesis of Bethesda's philosophy of "any character can do & be anything they want, at any time"

Well in a game with actual choices & consequences/reactivity, you shouldn't be able to 'do everything'.

Good reactivity inherently means locking players out of content. Complete antithesis of Bethesda's philosophy of "any character can do & be anything they want, at any time"

Yep, I agree - I do everything that I can do given constraints though is what I mean, so any side content that isn't locked out I'll do, and I'll explore everything etc, then replay to see things I missed. On paper it's exactly my kind of game. I guess I'm not used to developers actively defusing hype, especially when it's one of the things leading the coverage. I enjoy the anticipation stage of playing a game and want to hear more about what the game is and build my impressions off that rather than hearing 'this game isn't this' - just feels like a bit of a bum note PR wise. If they'd just launched into more details about what the game actually is and focused on that saying 'we've taken a more hub style approach like Kotor or Mass Effect so although it's not strictly open world there's a huge range of choice in your angle of approach to the game' then my expectations would have been kept in check without it being too overtly deflating. The combat and gameplay details video too, for example, Tim Cain says 'I don't want anyone to think our combat's boring'. I immediately start thinking the combat might be boring, lol.

It's a difficult balance between being honest with people and avoiding leaving a negative impression. The funny thing is the best PR for them is quite simply their previous work and it's on that basis that I'm going to get this day one regardless. They're probably their own worst critics and I suppose it's kind of refreshing. Whilst I generally hate PR I wonder what the world would be like if everyone tried to sell their products like this. 'Andrex toilet tissues, we had to sacrifice a ply layer because of costs so don't wipe as hard as you used to otherwise you might accidentally break through and stick a finger up your arse.'

anthraticus

Banned
The combat and gameplay details video too, for example, Tim Cain says 'I don't want anyone to think our combat's boring'. I immediately start thinking the combat might be boring, lol.
When I hear Tim say something like this, I just picture him talking to the more casual type gamers, not really the hardcore RPG fans, being as how this game is aiming for more mainstream success. Like the action orientated players who might have given Skyrim or Oblivion a shot, not having played any/many RPGs prior to that.

I think a link to this video was posted earlier, but now the video itself is on You Tube:

This thing kind of looks like a glorious mix of Fallout and Bioshock, from the only developers who ever put quality storytelling into the Fallout universe. I can't wait to play this.

Great video. I love these guys. Hype levels replenished.

Teslerum

New Video Interview

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...the-dark-comedy-in-obsidians-the-outer-worlds

Yeah, even though this one is (just) mostly about tone, this one makes it clear that its more of a Troika game than strictly an Obsidian game in its approach.

In which case expecting New Vegas 2 might not be entirly true as well.
Though if Tim and Leonard do find back to their best thats usually even better than a Obsidian game depending on your tastes.
This time hopefully in a finished project.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I am cautiously optimistic. Obsidian has a good track record for the most part and it looks great from what I have seen but I would still need reviews to verify before I would purchase.

Sub_Level

New Video Interview

https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...the-dark-comedy-in-obsidians-the-outer-worlds

Yeah, even though this one is (just) mostly about tone, this one makes it clear that its more of a Troika game than strictly an Obsidian game in its approach.

In which case expecting New Vegas 2 might not be entirly true as well.
Though if Tim and Leonard do find back to their best thats usually even better than a Obsidian game depending on your tastes.
This time hopefully in a finished project.

Yea I'm a broken record but this is really more of a VTMB/Deus Ex game. Not a New Vegas 2.

And even though I love New Vegas, its hard to beat the original Deus Ex and VTMB.

Yea I'm a broken record but this is really more of a VTMB/Deus Ex game. Not a New Vegas 2.

And even though I love New Vegas, its hard to beat the original Deus Ex and VTMB.

I think there's something to be said for a return to to the more focused VTMB/Deus Ex style level design rather than the typical open worlds of present day.

Of course I still hope there's plenty to see and do and plenty of optional places, but I like the idea of a game that cuts the fat.

I got the magazine today.

I can't fucking wait for this game, I just wish we got more than a vague "2019" release date, I'd like something more ballpark than that, like summer, fall etc.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I just found out about this via the Unreal engine star wars thing (don't ask) and damn it looks interesting. I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

Top Bottom