• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds PS4/Pro vs Xbox One/X Frame Rate Comparison By VgTech

thelastword

Banned

The version tested was 1.01 on the PS4 consoles and 1.1.0.348 on the Xbox One consoles. Review codes were supplied by the publisher. PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080 when rendering below that resolution.

Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. Xbox One uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1600x900 when rendering below that resolution.

PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1920x1080 and the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440. PS4 Pro uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 2560x1440 when rendering below that resolution. PS4 Pro appears to downsample from this resolution when outputting at 1080p.

Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2800x1575 and the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160. Xbox One X uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 3840x2160 when rendering below that resolution. The draw distance for objects such as grass and plants is improved on Xbox One X compared to base Xbox One. PS4 and PS4 Pro have further improved draw distance for grass and plants over the Xbox One X. In some scenes the PS4 consoles have additional ground detail such as rocks and grass compared to the Xbox One consoles such as at 0:54 and 3:01.

STATS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...twnTr21itEXbN24b3aM7ghXqU/edit#gid=2120774525

or7dbIe.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
Framerate = PRO>XBONEX>PS4>XBONES
Resolution = XBONEX>PRO>PS4>XBONES
Tearing = No tearing

Extra Details : PRO and PS4 seems to have better LOD, better texturing/filtering over the XBOX versions...As for LOD, that translates to much more foliage on the ground and in some instances lots of missing ground details like rocks etc...

Tiamat2san

Seems like the usual at the end of this generation.
Pro has a slight advantage in frames per second
X is largely above in resolution.
PS4 above one (s)
Can’t wait for nextgen battles!

Lone Wolf

Am I reading the chart wrong? One X seems to have the better frame rate, although it’s minuscule across platforms. Regardless, I’ve only played it on the One X and I’ve had no bugs or glitches, and no frame rate problems. We are long overdue for new systems though. The 720p shit has got to go.

vkbest

Am I reading the chart wrong? One X seems to have the better frame rate, although it’s minuscule across platforms. Regardless, I’ve only played it on the One X and I’ve had no bugs or glitches, and no frame rate problems. We are long overdue for new systems though. The 720p shit has got to go.

Yes you are reading wrong, average, minimum and percentile Pro framerate is over X (1-2fps). Number total of frames is too favored to Pro.

Anyway, this game lowering to 1080p on Pro and dropping some frames with that graphics, is poorly optimized.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
And I thought it sucked that on the pc I had to ‘lower’ my frame rate to 60 in order to smooth the game out.

Lone Wolf

Yes you are reading wrong, average, minimum and percentile Pro framerate is over X (1-2fps). Number total of frames is too favored to Pro.

Anyway, this game lowering to 1080p on Pro and dropping some frames with that graphics, is poorly optimized.
Was reading the wrong column. You are correct sir.

nowhat

The new #grassgate? Somehow I think this will not be as big of a deal like it was last gen in particular.
I mean, grass is just boring. Window dressing, basically. Nobody cares.

Now, if there were puddles, this would be a whole new thing altogether. Then we'd be all up in arms. Because nowhere is the downgrade more real than with puddles.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Strangely the Xbox One X version feels like it drops frames a lot. At least in the beginning hour that I’ve played. Doesn’t feel steady at all. Without this analysis I would’ve guessed not infrequent drops to 20-25 FPS when in combat were the norm. That beginning section with the crash site and those behemoths made my X1X chug.

Stuart360

Strangely the Xbox One X version feels like it drops frames a lot. At least in the beginning hour that I’ve played. Doesn’t feel steady at all. Without this analysis I would’ve guessed not infrequent drops to 20-25 FPS when in combat were the norm. That beginning section with the crash site and those behemoths made my X1X chug.
Its a surprisingly demanding game. On PC i had to drop a couple of settings down a bit to get a locked 60fps, and that was at 1080p with a 980ti.

BigLee74

X resolution advantage, major.
X performance disadvantage, minor. None hold locked 30 which isn't great to be fair, but losing 1 fps over the Pro now and again probably worth it.

X using the same downgraded graphical options as the base console is, however, unforgivable! Very disappointing.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Its a surprisingly demanding game. On PC i had to drop a couple of settings down a bit to get a locked 60fps, and that was at 1080p with a 980ti.
Playing it on PC mainly as well and I agree. 1660ti and I’m at a wobbly 60FPS unless I crank it down to 1080p with med/high settings. Sometimes I can pull off 1440p with slight drops but depending on the area it can get choppy. I don’t know if its “demanding” or just “poorly optimized” 😂. Good game though.

Last edited:
This, is why you get...

...this.

Drop the silly resolution checkbox these companies chase, and push better IQ/assets/performance.
Yeah I don't understand some of these decisions, drop to 1920p or something and increase the foliage. It doesn't seem like rocket science but in some cases it just seems like developers don't know what in the hell they're doing.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Sony Money Hat the devs for more grass
2vLBI8U.jpg
Yes Evil Sony, they're doing a number on the pay for grass crusade against XBOX......First it was Grid, Now The Outer Worlds......Will they continue to do this till PS5? So anti-consumer.....

Also, should we not be careful of anytime Jez Corden praises something on XBOX again, Clearly, this is not 4k native on XBONEX and the last time he did that was Anthem, which run better on PS too...when he said the best place to pay would be X by far......I think the whole 4k on X and 1080p on PRO for the outer worlds was pushed by him.....,

The new #grassgate? Somehow I think this will not be as big of a deal like it was last gen in particular.
Yet, if this was last gen such differences would be "a world away"......…...

Playing it on PC mainly as well and I agree. 1660ti and I’m at a wobbly 60FPS unless I crank it down to 1080p with med/high settings. Sometimes I can pull off 1440p with slight drops but depending on the area it can get choppy. I don’t know if its “demanding” or just “poorly optimized” 😂. Good game though.
It's Obsidian so definitely the latter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom