• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds review thread

Bullet Club

CVxeydG.jpg

Pd2Btbp.gif

Z5fahq8.png

3N8NHUF.png

IGN: 8.5/10
With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian has found its own path in the space between Bethesda and BioWare's RPGs, and it’s a great one.

GameSpot: 9/10
I finished The Outer Worlds wanting more, eager to jump back into the world to see extra things. It's not a short game, but it's one packed with such a steady stream of wonderful characters to meet, interesting places to explore, and meaningful, multi-layered quests to solve, that it didn't feel like there was any room to get tired of it. I wanted to rewind the clock and do everything in a completely different way. The Outer Worlds is consistently compelling throughout, and it's a superb example of how to promote traditional RPG sensibilities in a sharp, modern experience.

Polygon: Recommended
Obsidian has pulled off the delicate task of creating an RPG that feels big while still keeping control of the overall scope of the game itself. There is a galaxy map, but this isn’t No Man’s Sky, with the freedom to completely explore every sprawling world if I choose to. Each planet consists of relatively small zones, so I’m able to focus on my current quest without becoming overwhelmed.

Destructoid: 9/10
A hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage.

Dualshockers: 9.5/10
While saying something like “The Outer Worlds is out of this world” may be low-hanging fruit for a writer, it isn’t a false statement. This game rewards player choice and experimentation on a level I have not seen since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and it manages to do so in both gameplay and story. With the best writing of any game thus far in 2019, any fan of RPGs needs to play The Outer Worlds. And no, The Board totally isn’t making me write th-

Twinifinite: 4/5
As a more compact Fallout-like experience The Outer Worlds really works, and I’m already hoping that we’ll get to return to the Halcyon Colony again someday.

Shack News: 9/10
The Outer Worlds demands players put in the time and effort if they want the best it has to offer. It’s a fine game under any circumstances, but it’s a top-notch RPG with heavy consequences at almost every turn for those that are willing to immerse themselves. The Outer Worlds doesn’t tell you a story, it gives you a world full of interesting characters and asks you to tell your own.

Gamesradar+: 4/5
The Outer Worlds marks Obsidian operating at the top of its game, and a strong foundation for a new franchise that seems destined for greatness.

Game Informer: 9.25/10
The Outer Worlds finds inspiring success despite some rough edges, much like the team of space-faring adventurers it follows.

Wccftech: 7.8/10
The Outer Worlds is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Obsidian. The first-person action RPG features a great setting, fantastic writing and remarkable, complex characters to meet. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as exciting, though, failing to measure up with the best in the genre. Still, there's plenty to like here as long as you know what you're getting into, not to mention the potential for a sequel to be much better, particularly if the developers had a higher budget to work with.

We Got This Covered: 5/5
In all, The Outer Worlds is an unmitigated success. Naturally, recapturing the magic that made New Vegas such a beloved classic was never going to be an easy task, but the Californian studio has surprisingly pulled it off with aplomb once again. War never changes? I politely have to disagree. When Obsidian is at the helm, changes happen for the better, and that couldn’t make me happier.

Stevivor: 9.5/10
Obsidian has spent a considerable amount of time and effort in world-building, and you’d be doing the game (and yourself) and disservice by not exploring its planets and myriad side-quests. On top of this fully fleshed-out world, jam-packed with wonderful companions, quest-givers and NPCs in general is a sense of humour that truly shines. While it’s borderline juvenile, it manages to stay on the better side of judgment — something the likes of Borderlands has never been able to do.

COGconnected: 9.1/10
The Outer Worlds is a first-person shooter like no other. Offering an open world sandbox in which the entire game is your play-thing, I was easily sucked in and didn’t want to leave. Obsidian has stated it can be completed between 15-40 hours and I can’t imagine completing it so quickly with so many things to do. With full character development, a wonderful companion system, and a spirit all its own, The Outer Worlds is everything I had hoped it would be and more. From the excellent writing to the beautiful environments, each new world is vast enough to feel expansive without being desolate and wasted space. The gameplay and combat is fantastic and handles great, with the only downside being its occasional dip in frame rate or issues loading textures. The Outer Worlds fulfills the promise every other RPG makes of putting you in control and I can’t wait to try the game over and over again with different styles and tactics.

Press Start Australia: 8.5/10
The Outer Worlds is the kind of inspired take on a genre that could only come from a team as passionate and talented as Obsidian. It's not perfect, but it's creative, succinct, compelling and funny in all the right ways. I sincerely hope that this signals the beginning of a new, ongoing franchise because the people and stories of the Halcyon Colony will stick with me for a long time to come.

Windows Central: 4.5/5
The Outer Worlds is a tremendous RPG that feels like the culmination of Obsidian's efforts with similar franchises over the years. As a fan of classic Bioware and Bethesda RPGs, The Outer Worlds not only scratches the itch, but exceeds the legacy of the titles it draws inspiration from in some ways.

God is a Geek: 8.5/10
Ultimately, if you’ve played a Fallout game before, you won’t be surprised by many of The Outer Worlds’ systems and features, but each familiar idea is tweaked just enough to feel different if not unique. A wealth of side quests and places to explore ensure that you can never quite predict what’s over the next horizon, and some surprisingly intelligent and thoughtful writing shoots a bolt of maturity through the satirical atmosphere that provides levity and occasional pause for thought. The retro-futuristic, space western style may be nothing new in 2019, but The Outer Worlds approaches it with such undeniable charisma that you can’t help but be drawn into its colourful, diverse universe. And what’s more, it’s so confidently written and lovingly made that you’ll almost certainly want to go back for another adventure when you’re done.

VGC: 4/5
The Outer Worlds’s real challenge is getting over what it isn’t, to enjoy what it is. It’s a game that only reveals much of its cleverness over time: both as events snowball, and as you discover the potential spread of multiple playthroughs. To discover those brains you have to look past limitations and accept this isn’t Galactic Fallout – you have to wait for Bethesda’s Starfield for that – and appreciate that this is a small slice of space with deep consequences. Manage that, and frosty first impressions thaw faster than a ship full of human popsicles.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Shack News: "It doesn't tell you a story it asks you to make your own"

I don't get that. Does this game have little to no story? I thought this was a story driven game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Shack News: "It doesn't tell you a story it asks you to make your own"

I don't get that. Does this game have little to no story? I thought this was a story driven game.

It probably has enough decision branches that the story is ultimately decided by the player.

That also jives with the length. While it may only be 15 hours for the main story if you counted all the alternate paths it'd be much longer and hopefully that leads to a lot of replayability.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
** EDITED ** nevermind found the answer on my own - yes this is on the Xbox gamepass for PC, just verified

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

mcjmetroid

Well I had not played a fallout game before, by the time I had got back into gaming Fallout 4 was out and I wasn't liking some of the impressions.
This could be a good place to start. I'll get the base PS4 version.

RPGCrazied

Where does it say the campaign is only 15 hours long? Doesn't matter to me especially if it has side quests like the Fallout 3/New Vegas ones. Some of those were better than the main game itself!

Teslerum

BTW: It's 9 years since Fallout:New Vegas,

I still don't understand Metacritic and how they choose reviews. They are missing tons of obvious ones. I give them the benefit of the doubt since its early, but at least OpenCritic is more of a representation of overall scores.

So around 85. Better than I expected.

Azaroth

Where does it say the campaign is only 15 hours long? Doesn't matter to me especially if it has side quests like the Fallout 3/New Vegas ones. Some of those were better than the main game itself!
Most of the reviews I’ve read say it’s closer
to 30 hours. Not sure where that 15 number came from, but maybe that’s the hurried route. I’m happy that it’s not overly long and bloated, I can’t remember the last game I played where I didn’t think it was overly long and had worn out it’s welcome.

Teslerum

Halcyon being called a colony certainly made me bristle at times, though conveniently, there are no sentient races that the colonizers have displaced. In The Outer Worlds, all social problems are filtered through class. Sexism and racism don’t meaningfully exist even though race does; many of the people you meet across classes are black and brown. Race and gender go essentially unacknowledged from the game’s core narrative to its tongue-in-cheek riffs on PR buzzwords, which was frustrating in a game so deeply embroiled in power dynamics. In our world, class and race are inexorably tied, and a world in which questions of class are more eternal than questions of race strikes me as dishonest. I trust in Obsidian to broach those issues with the same grace as they do issues of class, so I wish they had gone there.

Kotaku: Game was not racist enough!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Outer Worlds is the “you got chocolate in my peanut butter” of RPGs. Obsidian, a developer that’s made sequels to both BioWare’s Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Bethesda’s Fallout 3, has merged those two distinctive flavors, and they taste great together. I wouldn’t quite call this space-frontier themed adventure the best of both, but it’s a creative and well-made take that’s both familiar and new all at once.

giphy.gif

DrJohnGalt

Banned
This is one of two games I've pre-ordered in the last few years so the reviews aren't changing my mind one way or the other, but I'm wondering just how "open" the open-world really is. Will it be more like New Vegas, where I can spend hours (or days or weeks) just walking around, meeting new people, finding new locations, and discovering new loot and lore? Or is it more like a Bioware game that's pretty linear and boring outside the main quest? A lot of the reviews say it's a bit of both. That may be a good thing for the casual player (those that enjoy more direction, hand-holding, and a shorter game) but what about for the hardcore fans of true sandbox RPGs?

I have a feeling I'll enjoy the game for what it is but ultimately be disappointed in what it isn't.

I'll post again once I get into it.

Dane

I'm damn surprised, but I will also wait for the players reaction, there was improvements over a short time, but it felt like a 7.5 at very best for me. Maybe the huuge changes were with the day one patch which I suppose it was already available for download for the press (it was almost the game size).

If it confirms the review scores, then its a huge thing for Microsoft as the last 12-15 months of the game were developed with Obsidian being owned by them.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Kotaku: Game was not racist enough!
Which is hilarious because the current Race Culture has been manufactured by the 1% to pit us against each other instead of against them. How these "so called" intellectuals (SJWs) don't understand this is one of the most ironic things.

In other words, that reviewer is a complete idiot of the highest order. Also, I would hope in the far future we DON'T care about race because we SHOULDN'T care about race now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was already planning on playing this but was thinking of waiting a few months before it's patched up properly. With these scores though, I might have to dive in right away.

Best size actually for an rpg focused on replayability such as this. (Like Fallout 1)
Not many people that want to replay 100+ hour rpgs.
Totally agree. I have a backlog full of 80-100 hours minimum rpgs that I can't find the time or dedication to play through. This completion time looks perfect for an rpg in a genre where the norm has been to bog down the game with hundreds of hours of side content just to be able to say "our game takes you five weeks to complete, goty me already"

Fractured_Veil

Neo Member
Been waiting for this one for a while. Slightly concerned at the 15 hour campaign length, but I'm hoping there's plenty of little things to explore.

Hostile_18

Banned
Very impressive. Not going to pay PS4 full price with it been on Gamepass but its definitely on my Radar when it goes on sale.

Critical path on RPGs is often very small compared to all the optional content. I see no need to worry as long as the gameplay isn't repetitive.

Well done Obsidian!

Teslerum

can I play it as a side character to a more prominent hero? for instance playing as a kind of commisoner Gordon?

Nope, you get to be the captain of a spaceship after all.

THAT SAID, the dumb playthrough is basically this with your companions being more trustworthy than you. Think Fry in Futurama.

Dane

Very impressive. Not going to pay PS4 full price with it been on Gamepass but its definitely on my Radar when it goes on sale.

Critical path on RPGs is often very small compared to all the optional content. I see no need to worry as long as the gameplay isn't repetitive.

Well done Obsidian!

Well, its not impossible to have a first time of failure, Obsidian had that with Alpha Protocol, not to mention KoTOR II and PoE II (the latter being a financial kick to them) that were less well received than their first games,, but all of them had a positive reception later on. Even Fallout New Vegas by the press was considered a great game, but not something that surpassed FO3, althrough fans said otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom