• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds review thread

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Man I love PC gamepass. I already have it preloaded. The "preload" is only 10mb though so, yeah, not sure what is up with that.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Good to see actual rpg game writers getting work and with decent budgets. obsidian is such a good pick up for ms studios.

I’ll take this style of game over any of sony’s recent output. If MS can keep delivering this type super interesting experience between now and next-gen, decision will be harder than i thought.

Last edited:
Obsidian is one of my favoite developers. I'm super happy for them. Excited for what they will male next now that they arnt going to have to worry about money anymore. This is a win for Microsoft as well as it makes there studio look better. Makes xbox look better. The srquile being xbox only is going to be good for them.

joe_zazen

Wasn't that more due to the fact they were basically using the fallout 3 engine and it was Bethesdas dodgy code?

also, beth loves squeezing studios andwrecking their finances to pick them up on the cheap like what they did with Arkane. I am sure NV development was a total evil assfuck from Bethesda.

Reactions: Isa

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Good to see actual rpg game writers getting work and with decent budgets. obsidian is such a good pick up for ms studios.

I’ll take this style of game over over any of sony’s recent output. If MS can keep delivering this type super interesting experience between now and next-gen, decision will be harder than i thought.
Not really, just decide to get a PC and play all of the Xbox games there plus everything the PC offers that consoles don't get.

PC + PS5 is going to be a killer combo next gen since you get to play ALL of the non Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
15 hours main campaign and < 30 with side quests is a joke for a RPG

It's kinda odd that you and others hold rpgs to a different standard to other genres, fallout 3 + 4 took me about 20hrs to complete the main campaigns and I loved them, 15 - 20hrs is great.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Well this is surprising and delightful. I anticipated lower reviews scores and tales of much bugs & jank. I was going to play it anyway since GamePass, duh. Now I'm pretty damn sure I will also buy it down the road to support a great game. Great news & reviews, can't wait to play.

Oh and Kotaku, STFU - it's a game, it's purpose is for people to play & have FUN. It was NOT created to spew your SJW & Identity Politics agenda. Please GFY.

vkbest

It's kinda odd that you and others hold rpgs to a different standard to other genres, fallout 3 + 4 took me about 20hrs to complete the main campaigns and I loved them, 15 - 20hrs is great.

Fallout 3 and 4 have plenty of side content. You can play for 80 hours if you want. Looks like this game is only around 30 hours even with doing all side content

joe_zazen

Not really, just decide to get a PC and play all of the Xbox games there plus everything the PC offers that consoles don't get.

my gaming budget is one platform and one monthly fee, i dont need or want all the games. PC is an option as it looks like you get all the pc goodness + all xbox stuff, but entry fee here in canada for a pc that will last all of next gen is close to $2K.

I am ok with missing out on Sony type AAA games if ms keeps bringing out these AA cool as shit games, Looking forward to making that decision In early 2021...but i do love me some psvr...it is so nice that next gen looks competitive!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Fallout 3 and 4 have plenty of side content. You can play for 80 hours if you want. Looks like this game is only around 30 hours even with doing all side content

I guess we different type of gamers, I do the main campaign and few side quest then I lose interest.

Teslerum

So this is basically 1 dollar on PC Gamepass since the first month is almost free?

What's the catch?

You're supporting the game/franchise even more than if you would buy with Epic as 1 Download on Game Pass is worth more to Microsoft than 1 buy on Epic.

There is no catch.

(Well mods, but Obsidian has said they'll look for a way after release).

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It's sad to see people eating up critic reviews so easily. Same critics who praise garbage like most EA/sports games and just like PoE2 just because it's a crpg and Obsidian it was hailed as one of the best which was the biggest bullshit I've ever witnessed and no wonder it bombed hard in sales. I've read some opinions on reddit from random people and I've seen some quotes from "critics" as well and I'm noticing a lot of common minuses with Outer Worlds: game is boringly easy on all difficulties, looting is very limited and nothing truly interesting to find, main quest is lacking which is typical of Obsidian, jankynes, game rarely offers great moments and you'll just be doing fetch quests that are covered in choices and dialogues, etc. I'm not feeling it and I personally can't stomach a no challenge rpg.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

So this is basically 1 dollar on PC Gamepass since the first month is almost free?

What's the catch?

they expect/want you to stay subbed In the months there is nothing interesting being released. Here in canada, 16.99 x 12 months is $200 + tax, not free by any means.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You do realize how ridiculous you are sounding?

You're saying they're wrong? I always prefer to look at the negatives of a game rather than positives. I believe someone who criticizes a game negatively and detailed has more value and all the negatives I've seen are something of concern to me.

Belmonte

The best Fallout has 20 hours of length. Outer Worlds having 40 is not an issue for me if the game is highly replayable.

Reactions: Isa

Matt_Fox

It's always brilliant to see a new IP on the scene, and this one seems promising (I particularly like the humour, we need more games that don't take themselves too seriously these days).

To those expressing negativity about the game's size, remember the old adage that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and let's hope that this new IP is a success and inspires better-funded sequels that take it to the next level.

Teslerum

You're saying they're wrong? I always prefer to look at the negatives of a game rather than positives. I believe someone who criticizes a game negatively and detailed has more value and all the negatives I've seen are something of concern to me.

I'm saying thats cherrypicking to fit your agenda.

But you do you.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Yeah, I've heard 30 to 40 hrs for the game length, for a normal RPG player -- that is, someone who does the majority of the side content and doesn't just blow through the main campaign and call it a day. So for me, that's 50 hours, because I play slowly. Then add another 30 for a replay, and you've got 80 hrs. of RPG goodness.

Ultimately, though, I don't like judging a game's value by the number of hours you spend playing it. My time is valuable, so in some ways, the more time a game requires, the better it has to be to justify that expenditure of time.

I'm confident that this is the type of game I'll enjoy. It's actually the reason I decided to return to gaming, after walking away from it a few months ago.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned

PC + PS5 is going to be a killer combo next gen since you get to play ALL of the non Nintendo games.
Hum.. I play my RPGs sitting on my sofa, with my hands resting on my lap, sound blasting out of a 5:2:4 atmos system and staring at an at least 55" OLED screen. All that for the price of the kind of PC I would need to play the best games in 4k now and in the foreseeable future. So thank you very much.

MS, bring on Outer Worlds 2 Scarlett exclusive by mid next-gen latest. We also want some exclusive Game Pass DLC on this one. That's how you reward customer loyalty.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Hum.. I play my RPGs sitting on my sofa, with my hands resting on my lap, sound blasting out of a 5:2:4 atmos system and staring at an at least 55" OLED screen. All that for the price of the kind of PC I would need to play the best games in 4k now and in the foreseeable future. So thank you very much.

MS, bring on Outer Worlds 2 Scarlett exclusive by mid next-gen latest. We also want some exclusive Game Pass DLC on this one. That's how you reward customer loyalty.
I play offline PC games (like RPGs) sitting on my comfy couch with a controller on my 55" 4k screen. I also play my games at 4k 60fps native completely maxed settings, and I don't give a shit about price. When you want the best you make sacrifices to get the best.

Also you don't use a headset? Fucking amateur hour over here if you don't. Hope you don't play online games with that 5:2:4 atmos system. Wait, you ARE one of those guys I have to mute aren't you?

That said, I love my ps4 and will love my ps5. I understand the reason for people wanting to own a console, but being an ass about how you think its better is just moronic. There is absolutely nothing "better" about console other than price. Which is fine.

Last edited:

iorek21

I highly doubt Outer Worlds 2 will be an exclusive, it must be a Private Division's IP

Top Bottom