• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds review thread

GymWolf

People are triggered by my post because they think that obsidian is so much inferior in terms of writing to cd project or because they think about witcher 3 having the best sidequest design ever where you use the withcer sense and fights to solve any quest 90% of the times?

Last edited:

Teslerum

People are triggered by my post because they think that obsidian is so much inferior in terms of writing to cd project or because they think about witcher 3 having the best sidequest design ever where you use the withcer sense and fights to solve any quest 90% of the times?

I would agree about quest design (Witcher 1 was best in that regard, imo). But, writing and flow more than made up for it in Witcher 3. Making Sidequesting a delight regardless.

The design principles behind these two games are different anyway, no use arguing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would agree about quest design (Witcher 1 was best in that regard, imo). But, writing and flow more than made up for it in Witcher 3. Making Sidequesting a delight regardless.

The design principles behind these two games are different anyway, no use arguing.
Yeah but witcher 3 having good writing doesn't mean that obsidian writing can't be on par.

Also i was not arguong, i was answering a question from a user.

They are both probably the best writers in the business with larian and avellone in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Shit i have to try that game asap.

How is the combat?

None. (Well 2, but they're a bit different than usual combat)

Imagine Planescape: Torment (different vibe/setting though) with Avellone saying fuck it to half-implementing combat and went full dialog/text. Great art and animations are an added bonus. Very different game of course as well from Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk if the description doesn't make it obvious.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I think this is very interesting question, which game, outer worlds or the cp, will be better. They can be both great or even masterpieces, but one can be more enjoyable for some, the other for others for different reasons.

I think CP can be better overall, more even due to the bigger budget. Hopefully cp will improve in the areas in which the Witcher was weaker, keeping all the best stuff. This would be a bar set quite high.

But the outer worlds is a game I really wanted to do well and be great to play. It seemed... To have character. To be made with passion, despite some limitations. So I can't wait to play it, despite that it looks ugly to me.

I guess I hope both games will be great and people can enjoy two masterpiece rpgs in 2019/2020...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Troubling item in the RPS review...

All the corporate lords are men who are a bit shit at their jobs, while the rebel and indie factions are lead by strong women(™), which I enjoyed even if my eyes began to roll sometimes

If RPS are rolling their eyes at virtue signalling it must be bad...

Teslerum

Not really when all others are complaining about *not enough/too safe* like Kotaku or VICE

There are women in powerful positions in the game (so are men), yes. But, none are spouting SJW bullshit (From all the footage I watched).

Last edited:

Well that sucks. It's my biggest gripe with modern writing sensibilities. Villians Can't be smart or capable, and heroes can't have flaws, especially if they're women.

Corporate bad guys should be smart, arragant and heartless, constantly one step ahead, because they're always having to watch their back due to the dog eat dog nature of their environment. It leads to slight tropes in it usually being their own hubris and inability to expect the heroes to work together and act selflessly that's their undoing, but cliche or not, it's a great storyline and gives satisfying endings.

But no, cookie cutter dumb evil arseholes are all we get anymore, and that leads to too perfect heroes that never fail, struggle, overcome or grow.

It's all so boring.

Still, I'm hoping this isn't as bad as it sounds. Obsidian have usually had cracking villians and plots previously, and this sounds more light hearted anyway.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this translates to Switch. I love Skyrim on it so this also sounds great for the daily commute. Looking forward to playing it on Game Pass.

Anything has to be better than Bethesda at this point.

Teslerum

Well that sucks. It's my biggest gripe with modern writing sensibilities. Villians Can't be smart or capable, and heroes can't have flaws, especially if they're women.

Don't fear, you won't get that. Unless you play and view the game this way in the first place. A lot of what's fucked up in the charachters is hidden in details and dialogues. It's far from good vs evil. Catherine from the E3 demo is certainly no saint as well for example.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Gamepass = $5 CAD

But do I ‘support’ the developer by purchasing the game for $60 CAD because I love my hobby, single player RPGs in particular?

Teslerum

Gamepass = $5 CAD

But do I ‘support’ the developer by purchasing the game for $60 CAD because I love my hobby, single player RPGs in particular?

Doesn't make much of a difference if you want to support the developer. Private Division gets all the money anyway.

For Microsoft, who will be publishing the series going forward, the most important thing is popularity at the moment.
So, unless you want to support Private Divison more, get it on Gamepass.

Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

One thing I like about this game is that you can kill almost everyone, I'll definitely play as a bad guy when I'll finally get my hands on the game. :)

Reactions: Isa

Zimmy68

I'm starting to get worried that this won't be a Play Anywhere title which would suck. These types are games are made for that feature.

In terms of writing and how many way you have to complete sidequest is gonna be probably on par or even slightly superior imho.

Witcher 3 quest design was kinda mediocre tbh. (Not the writing)

Please tell me this dude NOT serious..."slightly superior"...say wha..come again ??!! 😳😱🙈🙉🙊

pr0cs

Gamepass = $5 CAD

I've not seen anywhere suggesting that you are giving the shaft to developers by playing their games on gamepass. I like my money, why would I pay more for the same game?
I only wish the PC version of gamepass wasn't such a piece of shit and not so tied to the terribad windows store. Likely windows store is the true culprit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
QUOTE: Halcyon being called a colony certainly made me bristle at times, though conveniently, there are no sentient races that the colonizers have displaced. In The Outer Worlds, all social problems are filtered through class. Sexism and racism don’t meaningfully exist even though race does; many of the people you meet across classes are black and brown. Race and gender go essentially unacknowledged from the game’s core narrative to its tongue-in-cheek riffs on PR buzzwords, which was frustrating in a game so deeply embroiled in power dynamics. In our world, class and race are inexorably tied, and a world in which questions of class are more eternal than questions of race strikes me as dishonest. I trust in Obsidian to broach those issues with the same grace as they do issues of class, so I wish they had gone there.

Kotaku: Game was not racist enough!

These people are not the left I know. They laser focus on race and gender with no interest in class, and one can only presume it's because they are all actually fucking privileged trust-fund cunts. By erasing class people can claim the support that the working classes need, especially if they can invent their own oppressions (see gender fluidity).

Heinrich

Banned
The sad thing is there are some people on some forums, who will have some more distain for the outer worlds because MS bought Obsidian, there starting there pre emptive smear campaign just incase Obsidian do outer worlds 2 as a XBOX/PC exclusive.

This is the typical sony defense force. they are like a toxic cult. crazy af.

they did the same with tomb raider. pathetic. NeoGAF is full of them, too though. That's why NeoGAF is sometimes called "SonyGAF".

The board isn't portrayed evil enough, not enough racism or sexism (to complain about), anti-corporate options aren't evil enough.
All by SJW reviewers that thought this was capitalist pig murder simulator 2000.

SJW reviewers not being satisfied does not absolve the game in the slightest for me. When are they ever satisfied?
Especially if fucking RPS thinks it's cringe worthy.

I think the game looks great but if the writing is bad/caters to SJWs I don't think I wanna deal with that in an RPG.

Top Bottom