• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outer Worlds Sequel Is Currently in Pre-Production – Rumor

Bullet Club

The Outer Worlds Sequel Is Currently in Pre-Production – Rumor

0deuNuF.jpg

A The Outer Worlds sequel may be in the works, according to rumors circulating online.

Niko Partners Senior Analyst Daniel Ahmad, who correctly revealed information before official announcements plenty of times in the past, revealed a few hours ago that Obsidian Entertainment is currently exploring a new entry in the series, which is currently in pre-production.

The original The Outer Worlds, despite being a solid role-playing game, comes with a few flaws, so it will be interesting to see how the studio will improve the experience.
The Outer Worlds is pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Obsidian. The first-person action RPG features a great setting, fantastic writing and remarkable, complex characters to meet. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as exciting, though, failing to measure up with the best in the genre. Still, there's plenty to like here as long as you know what you're getting into, not to mention the potential for a sequel to be much better, particularly if the developers had a higher budget to work with.
The Outer Worlds also received a DLC called Peril on Gorgon, which does very little to fix some of the main game's flaws.
Peril on Gorgon, the first DLC released for The Outer Worlds, maintains all of the pros and cons we've already seen in the base game. The plot is intriguing while the characters remain the true highlight, but combat is a bit lackluster and optimization underwhelming.
The Outer Worlds is now available on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Source: WCCFTech

Perrott

Gold Member
This was actually rumoured months ago. They were supposed to have Grounded, The Outer Worlds 2, a Skyrim style next gen rpg (which we now know is Avowed), and another game we dont know yet.
I've heard that the fourth project would be an historic RPG by Josh Sawyer.

Last edited:
Meh. It better be vastly improved. And make less ugly characters models

532640625.jpg
The art direction and character designs in the game were a shit show of conflicting ideas and lacking talent, sadly.

Same for the writing really, which was incredibly hit and miss and far less punchy and well crafted than the studio previously managed.

I'm hoping it was just due to being made by a B team, and the sequel will receive more time and talent.

Senua

The art direction and character designs in the game were a shit show of conflicting ideas and lacking talent, sadly.

Same for the writing really, which was incredibly hit and miss and far less punchy and well crafted than the studio previously managed.

I'm hoping it was just due to being made by a B team, and the sequel will receive more time and talent.
only chris avellone can save us!

Dr.D00p

Go down to planet, shoot some shit, loot some crates, return to ship, go to space station ,shoot some shit, loot some crates, return to ship,go down to planet..........

I think I can see where the sequel is going.

Kev Kev

hope its better than the first. no idea why people were freaking out over this game. it was just ok.
Great! A rumor about a game in pre-production! Now all get excited to get this game in 4 years time!
Ha! try 6, or 8! Star Citizen is going on its 15th annual announcement anniversary lmao

Last edited:
I don’t understand the constant harsh criticism of this game. It wasn’t AAA, was built by a very small team and certainly wasn’t the worst game to ever be released.

I enjoyed the outer worlds. It has its flaws and is by no measure a 10/10, but i had very much fun and could easily look besides its flaws and limitations because it´s oozing charme. Also the general setting of a SciFi Future (wouldn´t call it dystopia) is more appealing to me than the regular fallout post apocalypse wasteland setting.

Looking forward to a sequel and hope this rumor turns out to true.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
How about making your decisions actually MATTER like have a real galactic impact, you did the thing on the planet 1 npc’s dialog changed while others still bitched about the problem you just spent an hour solving. Also you flew away to another planet and the reputation system was so paper thin it didn’t mean shit.

Have an actual writer write the characters this time around, they were all 2d and awful.

Also have someone work on combat so halfway through the game it doesn’t become a trivial thing.

Oh while they’re at it, make a skill tree worth filling out.

dorkimoe

Hopefully is gonna be completely different from the first one.
Agreed

I cant think of a game I played and beat that needs more work. The the combat was not good. All the guns looked the same in your inventory and armor, I cant even get over how bad the loot was.

GymWolf

Agreed

I cant think of a game I played and beat that needs more work. The the combat was not good. All the guns looked the same in your inventory and armor, I cant even get over how bad the loot was.
Same for progression, level of challenge and so many other things.

Thank god for gamepass so i didn't wasted my money on it.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
First one was just ok, and had lots of problems. Overall I enjoyed a playthrough, but the second half was a slump and the game turned stupidly easy.

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
I thought The Outer Worlds was enjoyable and wouldn’t mind more. Hopefully the budget increase from being part of MS will let them realize more of their vision, you could definitely tell in certain areas where they had been forced to cut corners. I personally like the space opera setting more than Fallout’s post apocalyptic setting, but ultimately Cain and Boyarsky should get to make what they want. I fully expect Obsidian to make another Fallout spinoff at some point though, it’s going to be a decade before Bethesda is able to return to the IP given how long it takes them to make games.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. It better be vastly improved. And make less ugly characters models

532640625.jpg

You picked literally the only vaguely attractive one!

Overall though it does need to move away from the wokeness - surely there must be some competent males in the universe, the idea that the only competent people are female is absurd. The game mechanics could do with some work too - ultimately it was just another shooting gallery like Bioshock Infinite, but with even less subtlety about its preaching than Bioshock Infinite. I was hugely disappointed as the early previews suggested something fun was in the offing, and that bullshit modern politics would be pushed aside, but alas it was not so. In the end all it has going for it is a cool art style, but in truth the game was a shallow experience that I thank god I didn't actually pay for (I was on the £1 Gamepass deal).

Ozrimandias

As someone who loved Fallout 3, someone who loved New Vegas, someone who loved (but no so that much) Fallout 4, and probably gonna buy a Series X only to play a Fallout 5 if it's exclusive..... How Outer Worlds compare to those games, it's the world is rich and engaging? can you get lost just walking around an do sidequest?

MiguelItUp

I'm excited for the team and fans! I wish I got into the game. I played it for about 30-40 minutes, put it down, and never picked it back up. It felt like Fallout without all the enjoyable things in Fallout, like VATS, and the overall aesthetic.

You picked literally the only vaguely attractive one!

Overall though it does need to move away from the wokeness - surely there must be some competent males in the universe, the idea that the only competent people are female is absurd. The game mechanics could do with some work too - ultimately it was just another shooting gallery like Bioshock Infinite, but with even less subtlety about its preaching than Bioshock Infinite. I was hugely disappointed as the early previews suggested something fun was in the offing, and that bullshit modern politics would be pushed aside, but alas it was not so. In the end all it has going for it is a cool art style, but in truth the game was a shallow experience that I thank god I didn't actually pay for (I was on the £1 Gamepass deal).

Probably too late for that now, unfortunately. They've now catered to a certain vocal minority and I think that if they produce something other than what that audience expects in a sequel, it's cancel time.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who loved Fallout 3, someone who loved New Vegas, someone who loved (but no so that much) Fallout 4, and probably gonna buy a Series X only to play a Fallout 5 if it's exclusive..... How Outer Worlds compare to those games, it's the world is rich and engaging? can you get lost just walking around an do sidequest?

It's a shooting gallery pushing an ideology. Gameplay lacks depth. Visual design is quite nice but quests are dull, combat repetitive, powerups and loot meaningless.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
- What ideology?
- So, not close to Fallout.

Only women ever show any kind of competence, all men are evil and incompetent. It's one of THOSE games. And nope, not even close to fallout sadly - none of the depth and nuance to be found in New Vegas, nor the opportunities to play differently depending on character build.

Ozrimandias

Only women ever show any kind of competence, all men are evil and incompetent. It's one of THOSE games. And nope, not even close to fallout sadly - none of the depth and nuance to be found in New Vegas, nor the opportunities to play differently depending on character build.

Arrggghh damn it didn't know. You saved me some bucks. Thanks

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Arrggghh damn it didn't know. You saved me some bucks. Thanks

FWIW I was gutted it didn't turn out cool - previews looked amazing, the art style is lovely, but it's one of those once you see it you can't unsee it things. It's a shame because the potential was there - handled right it could have been awesome because the setting seemed right up my alley - the pulp sci-fi style could have been amazing. Oh well, it was not to be.

The first one was decent enough. A bit on the preachy side at times and I was aware going in about the lead writer and her misandry, but I did enjoy the game itself. I'd be up for a sequel if they can reign in that crap.

I played with Sam, Max and Felix for most of the game and only used the others to complete their specific quests so I avoided as much agenda as I could..

I could certainly have done with less "Set your blatantly asexual character up with the bull dyke of her dreams (that she doesn't actually have because she really hates sex, like a lot.)" missions, and more "goofy band of space retards flying around from planet to planet generally fucking everything they do up, before finally falling into a groove and kicking ass".

The game looked really nice at times too. There was some really great art direction in the game.

I think with a few changes a sequel has a lot of potential.

Top Bottom